Citizens National Bank At 402 Main St.

tigereye

Honestly, homelessness may be downtown's biggest problem. I think the time is now for a more effective and a more comprehensive homeless ordinance. Does anybody know where you can find a copy of Houston's current homeless ordinance? And how often are rules broken or not enforced?

And, yes, at the expense of sounding racist: the largely-minority crowds that are frequenting the clubs DT are possibly going to negatively impact more serious development if those crowds foster violence (or the perceived threat of violence). I personally wouldn't invest in any property DT until after Pavilions is built (50/50) and we've seen whether HP changes the dynamic for the better.

DT is on very shaky ground... Might it revert back to its former self?

You kinda sound like me.

Perception is important. That won't change unless you go down there yourself. Unfortunately we are in the minority because we actually have been down there. There are just so many who really aren't in the know about "real" downtown life.

I still wonder whether the pavillions will actually make a difference. I remember when Bayou Place opened, many were saying how Downtown would be changed forever because it's a Cordish project. We've never seen anything like it, etc. Initially yes, there was a surge of people going downtown. But places have closed there too and plenty of rental space is still available. Killing off the residential portion of the Pavillions will only hurt.

Edited by musicman

Well, clubs will cater to certain demographics, so you're unlikely to be harassed omin the club itself.

My main problem is that the streets themselves have turns into a club of sorts itself. People just hangout to look and want to be seen. There seems to be plenty of police there, but I wish something would be done to prevent people just "hanging out".

The police seem to do an excellent job to keep the people moving, overall. I just wonder what preventive measures they spot potential troublemakers.

The HP should be interesting that it will bring a higher standard of entertainment and will both bring in and dilute the targeted demographic at some of the other crowds and will force them to improve their places to keep pace.

At the risk of being dubbed a Republican, racist or both, I'll ask this question --

Who thinks the elephant in the room downtown is black people? You can't help but notice that several Main St. clubs, which used to have a couple of black people in them on a weekend night are now almost exclusively black.

Does this make a difference to the viability of residential development downtown in a city that I believe is still pretty racist at its core? Do white Houstonians want to live in a neighborhood that attracts black people by the hundreds every weekend? What if these black people are dressed well and not causing any problems (they are)? I think it's still a stretch for Whitey in Houston to pay over $300K for a small condo to live in a neighborhood frequented by black people. Maybe that's why residential development is being held back.

Unfortunatly, I can't deny that after Super Bowl partiers, and Puff Daddy/Sean P Diddy/Puffy... hit downtown that the demographics of these clubs changed. This past summer my son worked a couple of these downtown clubs and when his car was in the shop, l gave him a ride. Wow! this blond haired white girl in her white Lexus felt pretty out of place. My son wasn't too comfortable with me being there either and felt it was best that I drop him off a block or so away so I didn't have to get caught in the middle of a street party. Lucky for my son, he has his father's coloring and can and does blend in wherever he goes. For me, I feel much more comfortable in Midtown going to clubs like Escobar or The Roof where the partiers are an eclectic mix. I also believe that to sustain growth in a vibrant urban center it must be diverse enough that everyones' dot makes for a beautiful landscape, not just a smudge. Without variety life is just dull!

One of the things I was trying to point out is that it is not any particular group of people that turns me off in downtown - its the attitude of that so-called "gansta" crowd, with all the anger and aggresivness that goes with it. And like I said, I can point to many types from many races, like my own, that are a part of that. And it is that attitiude that is now lurking all over main street, not necessarily any one group, that is a turn off. Case in point: The jazz scene I love, and I am very much a minority as a Latino, say, in the Red Cat. But I still feel very comfortable there because it is full of people who are classy and dont get in your face. I guess I am uncomfortable with lumping any particular race into a lifestyle, because it is the lifestyle that where much of the crap is. I may sound like an old man, but really, the glorification of violence and the in-your-face attiudes do suck, young or old.

...unless it's Limp Bizkit. For some reason, there angry songs really hit the spot when I was having to deal with difficult people!

Well, clubs will cater to certain demographics, so you're unlikely to be harassed omin the club itself.

My main problem is that the streets themselves have turns into a club of sorts itself. People just hangout to look and want to be seen. There seems to be plenty of police there, but I wish something would be done to prevent people just "hanging out".

The police seem to do an excellent job to keep the people moving, overall. I just wonder what preventive measures they spot potential troublemakers.

The HP should be interesting that it will bring a higher standard of entertainment and will both bring in and dilute the targeted demographic at some of the other crowds and will force them to improve their places to keep pace.

Actually, that's the aspect of downtown that helps keep the energy/ night scene downtown hoppin'. I like to see people outside just kickin' it or hangin' out.. In Jay'Z's words " parking lot pimpin' ".

I agree.

Parking lot pimpin' = Too cheap to go to a club = club doesn't get business = Clubs shut down due to lack of business.

furthermore -- Parking lot pimpin' = thug appearance outside the club that discourages people who might otherwise go inside. Congratulations idiots -- you've found a way to turn a $million investment in the revival of downtown into the grown-up equivilent of a skating rink. Parking lot pimpin' is profit poison.

This could have been predicted 4 years ago. This is the twilight of the Downtown "scene". Faster than you can say Richmond Strip and Shepherd Plaza, the next wave of 21-25 year olds will have found a new home in Houston. Right now savvy club owners are trying to figure out where this will be so they can stake their claim, but it will not be Main Street.

This by the way is a good thing. 50 trendy nightclubs won't bring new residents to Downtown, but 50 stores like Walgreens sure will. So, while there will always be a place for a number of bars downtown and it will in time become a destination point for people with a little more money to spend that will be attracted to places like Houston pavilions, we have likely seen the zenith of the club scene downtown.

downtown just doesn't do it for me anymore...most of the clubs cater to the 20-something crowd and not enough choice in where to go. most of the clubs/ bars are the plastic studio 54 wanna-be's or hip-hop clubs. if i go, i prefer the pizza joint next door to cabo or hardrock.

although, i did go to this hip-hop club on the corner (had fenced in patio) a while back and ended up dancing with these hot twins. that was cool.

This could have been predicted 4 years ago. This is the twilight of the Downtown "scene". Faster than you can say Richmond Strip and Shepherd Plaza, the next wave of 21-25 year olds will have found a new home in Houston. Right now savvy club owners are trying to figure out where this will be so they can stake their claim, but it will not be Main Street.

This by the way is a good thing. 50 trendy nightclubs won't bring new residents to Downtown, but 50 stores like Walgreens sure will. So, while there will always be a place for a number of bars downtown and it will in time become a destination point for people with a little more money to spend that will be attracted to places like Houston pavilions, we have likely seen the zenith of the club scene downtown.

Exactly.

The next wave will be somewhere along the University Line, I think.

had some friends down from the east coast this past year. we were at a private function in a gallery near the bar scene in downtown. people asked if we were in the "red light" district because of all the slutty looking chicks in the area. they were amazed that women dressed the way they did to go out in houston.

once the novelty wears off, and all the minors and people from pasadena hear about a club scene........it's over. the gang bangers start showing up and it's the richmond strip all over again. downtown will benefit from the club scene moving elsewhere.

:ph34r:

had some friends down from the east coast this past year. we were at a private function in a gallery near the bar scene in downtown. people asked if we were in the "red light" district because of all the slutty looking chicks in the area. they were amazed that women dressed the way they did to go out in houston.

once the novelty wears off, and all the minors and people from pasadena hear about a club scene........it's over. the gang bangers start showing up and it's the richmond strip all over again. downtown will benefit from the club scene moving elsewhere.

:ph34r:

What would be ideal if if the cops would be able discourage people just "hanging out" downtown without patronizing the bars and enforce curfew laws. I'm sure a few random checks and a few kids in jail would quickly spread the word that kids weren't allowed downtown after dark.

What would be ideal if if the cops would be able discourage people just "hanging out" downtown without patronizing the bars and enforce curfew laws. I'm sure a few random checks and a few kids in jail would quickly spread the word that kids weren't allowed downtown after dark.

i was talking to a friend yesterday that said some of the clubs lower lowered the entry age to 18. Whenever "kids" are let into clubs, they then to go down.

i was talking to a friend yesterday that said some of the clubs lower lowered the entry age to 18. Whenever "kids" are let into clubs, they then to go down.

I have to agree, when they have to resort to that, they're on their way out. There have been many times when I stopped going to clubs once they went "18 and up".

THe clubs usually close within a year after that.

The problem is, Houston just doesn't have the right demographics or culture for that sort of A-list, elitist, upscale celebrity atmosphere that you get in cities like Miami or NYC. I don't think that a club that you speak of that seeks to rival the great clubs in America would survive for even a few months in the current downtown. It could be just the times we live in as a society that maybe people aren't interested in fancy and sophisticated stuff that only works on a superficial level. I think people want places of more integrity and class. The fact that a club would offer A-list specials makes it rather superficial, and that kind of scene was pretty cool in the early 90s when they were making movies about club scenes, but I just don't think that's what the downtown crowd with money wants here in Houston.

Being a downtown resident I'm not going to cry b/c M Bar is closing. It is a huge pain in the ass to get to your home with all those "suburbanites" unfamiliar with how to drive on a one way street. (Seems simple right?! You'd be suprised!) Houston's downtown scene is hilarious, what's with the unbottoned dress shirts and sunglasses at night fellas? LOL The club goers downtown take themselves too serious!