Citizens National Bank At 402 Main St.

tigereye

Actually think the name of this thread should be changed to the future of downtown nightlife. Obviously, Downtown is soon to be "Once Again" the new and this time lasting hotspot. Midtown as you might know was a ghetto and has come a long way as downtowns neighborhood. It is going to settle back into the shadow of downtown, as it should and sophisticated operators will select downtown for real business.

I predict an Uptown nightlife resurgance in the next 5-10 years. I could see that area push for more upscale nightlife activity that's better than their 24-hour Starbucks. If that area's nightlife has been declared dead already, they may soon find it an opportunity to start from scratch (like upscale urban-developed clubs in the heart of the Galleria area this time).

Midtown is a toss-up. It will either become one of the clubbing meccas of the state, or will just die out. Really depends on if the new developments keep coming or not.

Downtown is by far the most stable area in Houston in terms of nightlife. There's so much potential there because of Pavillions and the park coming. What that area needs is 24-hour living, and hopefully Pavillions will be one of the steps to getting that. A 24-hour flagship grocery store Downtown would complete that for residents there (ideally along the park). Once you have the constant pedestrian traffic, and it coincides with the new clubs, restaurants, and bars from Main to Hiltons, Downtown will breakout I think.

I predict an Uptown nightlife resurgance in the next 5-10 years. I could see that area push for more upscale nightlife activity that's better than their 24-hour Starbucks. If that area's nightlife has been declared dead already, they may soon find it an opportunity to start from scratch (like upscale urban-developed clubs in the heart of the Galleria area this time).

Midtown is a toss-up. It will either become one of the clubbing meccas of the state, or will just die out. Really depends on if the new developments keep coming or not.

Downtown is by far the most stable area in Houston in terms of nightlife. There's so much potential there because of Pavillions and the park coming. What that area needs is 24-hour living, and hopefully Pavillions will be one of the steps to getting that. A 24-hour flagship grocery store Downtown would complete that for residents there (ideally along the park). Once you have the constant pedestrian traffic, and it coincides with the new clubs, restaurants, and bars from Main to Hiltons, Downtown will breakout I think.

I agree with you.

Just curious, since i've only recently worked Downtown after my company moved me there from Greenspoint. How come the restaurants around the Hyatt don't open a bit later like 10-11pm at night? Is it the crime? New Orleans PO Boy, Benihanas,Wimpy, and that Italian place(Pizzeria Historia ?) was already closed when we dropped by around 8pm. A co-worker of mine who was based in California came to town for a conference. He was staying at the Hyatt and after we were working late, i wanted to take him out to these restaurants near his hotel so that he can walk back a short distance after eating. I was disappointed to see that these restaurants were closed. We ended up walking to Cabo which was quite a distance away to get a bite.

I disagree. You might have only the people who live downtown frequenting bars, restaurants, etc. down there, but i don't see people from other parts of the city going there. I still see alot of homeless people and shady dudes at night. I had to walk with my head turning back frequently to make sure i wasn't being followed. Also, i've noticed that nightlife around Sugarland, Galleria, and FM1960 areas getting alot of traffic. Sugarland has really come along way. My other friends in the Clear Lake area have plenty of nightlife down there, thus no need to venture into downtown. Not sure about NE Houston area if they have any nightlife, but i just don't see Downtown booming at all. Potential is there, but i don't see it. Uptown has more potential than Downtown.

Edited by icanluv2

Just curious, since i've only recently worked Downtown after my company moved me there from Greenspoint. How come the restaurants around the Hyatt don't open a bit later like 10-11pm at night? Is it the crime? New Orleans PO Boy, Benihanas,Wimpy, and that Italian place(Pizzeria Historia ?) was already closed when we dropped by around 8pm. A co-worker of mine who was based in California came to town for a conference. He was staying at the Hyatt and after we were working late, i wanted to take him out to these restaurants near his hotel so that he can walk back a short distance after eating. I was disappointed to see that these restaurants were closed. We ended up walking to Cabo which was quite a distance away to get a bite.

the patrons are too far and few in the evenings. $6 cab rides downtown.

After hours there isn't enough business to support the business after 5pm. As I have said in another thread, the Hyatt is located in a downtown version of Sibera where it's quite remote after business hours.

I hope that the tower that is in the "conception" stage along with the HP will make that part of town a bit more inviting.

I disagree. You might have only the people who live downtown frequenting bars, restaurants, etc. down there, but i don't see people from other parts of the city going there. I still see alot of homeless people and shady dudes at night. I had to walk with my head turning back frequently to make sure i wasn't being followed. Also, i've noticed that nightlife around Sugarland, Galleria, and FM1960 areas getting alot of traffic. Sugarland has really come along way. My other friends in the Clear Lake area have plenty of nightlife down there, thus no need to venture into downtown. Not sure about NE Houston area if they have any nightlife, but i just don't see Downtown booming at all. Potential is there, but i don't see it. Uptown has more potential than Downtown.

All you have really said here is that you prefer the suburbs to downtown. Your opinion does not mean that others agree with you. In fact, given that the Astros draw 3 million visitors a season, the Rockets draw 600,000, and most of those patrons are from the suburbs, I would suggest that your opinion is a minority one. If venues open that are attractive to sports fans, tourists, and suburbanites who are not afraid of their shadow, the venues will succeed. The niteclubs do not attract baseball fans. Casual bars and restaurants would. Other businesses that attract window shoppers and people watchers will also encourage the sports fans to stick around a little while.

The goal is to make downtown attractive as a destination. It is not required that Sugar Landers and Clear Lakers come to downtown every time they go out. The goal is to make downtown an option. As it currently exists, the niteclubs only appeal to 20-something partiers. As HP opens, and the niteclubs convert to restaurants, bars, and shops, a larger demographic will be attracted. More options mean more visitors. More visitors means sustainability for the merchants.

Also, i've noticed that nightlife around Sugarland, Galleria, and FM1960 areas getting alot of traffic. Sugarland has really come along way. My other friends in the Clear Lake area have plenty of nightlife down there, thus no need to venture into downtown. Not sure about NE Houston area if they have any nightlife, but i just don't see Downtown booming at all. Potential is there, but i don't see it. Uptown has more potential than Downtown.

i don't go partying much and even less in the suburbs. i work in clr lake and don't really consider boondoggles, molly's, beach club, etc as an attractive nightlife to me. if this suburban life if the kind you like, then it is your choice to stay there. when i'm downtown, i do frequently meet people from katy, humble, clr lake, etc who are enjoying downtown. it's just about personal choice and convenience.

Edited by musicman

All you have really said here is that you prefer the suburbs to downtown. Your opinion does not mean that others agree with you. In fact, given that the Astros draw 3 million visitors a season, the Rockets draw 600,000, and most of those patrons are from the suburbs, I would suggest that your opinion is a minority one. If venues open that are attractive to sports fans, tourists, and suburbanites who are not afraid of their shadow, the venues will succeed. The niteclubs do not attract baseball fans. Casual bars and restaurants would. Other businesses that attract window shoppers and people watchers will also encourage the sports fans to stick around a little while.

The goal is to make downtown attractive as a destination. It is not required that Sugar Landers and Clear Lakers come to downtown every time they go out. The goal is to make downtown an option. As it currently exists, the niteclubs only appeal to 20-something partiers. As HP opens, and the niteclubs convert to restaurants, bars, and shops, a larger demographic will be attracted. More options mean more visitors. More visitors means sustainability for the merchants.

I am going from the experiences i had in the past couple of weeks at night downtown. I used to go alot back in 99' and 2000' and i remember it being alot busier/crowded back then it is now. There are more bars, clubs, etc now, but the volume of people back then was alot more. I'm just talking about a typical Saturday or Thursday, don't know about other days since i don't hang out there on those days back then.

Now, with days like Astros playing or just special events i'm sure it would be flowing with people, but on a typical day not so sure.

Edited by icanluv2

I tend to agree with Red Scare's views as well. I consider Sugarland, and Clearlake folks as downtown tourists anyway. Overall I think the healthy mix of new and different types of tenants is going to be appealing for locals and all tourists visiting downtown.

• 2 months later...

Hurry up, Houston Pavillions. Downtown Houston is dead.

I went to the Symphony last night for a Pops show -- "Hooray for Hollywood". It was very nice, but after the show, there was nothing going on, ON A FRIDAY NIGHT at 10:00pm. We wanted a view, food and drinks, so we decided on the Hilton Americas. Poor Houston, with its crappy train -- you just can't get there within a nice walking distance on a hot, humid night, through deserted, dark streets. So, we walked a few blocks to our car and drove the many blocks to the hotel.

The hotel, which looks kind of like the Bellagio inside, was practically deserted. The lobby bar had 4-5 people. The "Chop House" seemed empty. There was another deserted restaurant in the lobby. We rode up to the 24th floor "Restaurant" on top of the hotel. It is very beautiful and the view is magnificent, but we were informed that no food is served at that hour -- 10:30 after a show on a Friday night, mind you. I asked if we could order room service or ask if food could be brought up to us from downstairs. The waiter said, "No, corporate says no service up here after 10:00pm" Can you imagine a hotel in a town that courts tourism or even local business responding this way? Big surprise -- this place was also virtually empty. Nice investment, City of Houston.

So, we drank our $8 drinks and decided to go back to the Theater District to try to find something open that wasn't a club or a dive. We just caught Sake Lounge before they stopped serving. We were the only people in the whole place at 11:30. The sushi was pretty good, but it felt like 2 am, the way everyone was trying to rush us out of the place.

Afterward, we walked up to Main. There were a couple of clubs that had a few people waiting in line. The street was pretty empty, though. Main St. Square -- the supposed center of the Downtown Rennaissance was deserted. Farther north, toward the Preston St. Station where all the clubs are was quiet too. I couldn't help noticing that African Americans made up the largest percentage of people I saw. Whether this is good or bad is up to you. Having some experience in the bar industry, though, I know that this is an indication that a bar with aspirations to appeal to an upscale audience is on the verge of going out of business. See Mercury Room/Boaka Bar, Suede, Tonic, M Bar, et al.

The homeless were also out in force. Restaurants were closed, except for a few dumpy places. Retail was non-existant. The few people on the street were drunk, loud and hoochied-up. It looked like "the stroll" out there. Why anyone would want to be here, much less live here is beyond me.

HP has some serious work ahead of it. If this was Friday, I'd hate to see a Wednesday.

Edited by dalparadise

I couldn't help noticing that African Americans made up the largest percentage of people I saw. Whether this is good or bad is up to you.

I'm not trying to start up any argument, but their color shouldn't matter, it's their character.

I'm not trying to start up any argument, but their color shouldn't matter, it's their character.

while race should never be an issue, you could probably infer that the types of bars/clubs that strongly cater more towards minorities are exactly the type of establishments that DT is currently trying to eradicate.

helluva a first post.... go me.

or second post.

Edited by swtsig

Guest danax

Clubs are like parks; they can be good things or bad things, depending on who they attract. I think the bars were something that helped give DT a little energy when it was starting to awaken from its long slumber, but once they've served their usefulness, most will fall by the wayside and will be replaced by something else. The thing to kind in mind is the long trend, which can only seem to be up. Real estate values won't allow much else.

Everything goes in cycles and as new residents move in, they'll be more restaurants and places that Dal was looking for. The Pavilions is taking a chance but hopefully the retail mix will attract a more stable and sober class of human.

Dalparadise is 100% correct... We went out Thurs. night and DT main street was dead. A few clubs were open and that was about it. I remember going out 5 years ago DT main street was full of people with dozens of clubs and bars from Wed. to Sun. night. Since DT was dead we took a cab to midtown, midtowns restraunts and bars were full of people. The streets were full of people walking and eating at the outside bars. It was very similar to what mainstreet was several years ago.

I beleive their are two reason why main street is dead now.

First reason - Main street is in a transition phase. I heard this from two people who are involved with the inside issues of DT. The city and DT residents want the clubs closed. Residents were tired of hearing loud music and people through the night. The city wants DT main street to be a livable neighborhood with upscale restraunts, bars, and retail. This is why the city has stop issuing new and renewing bar and club licenses. This is the main reason why the clubs are closing and new ones are not opening up.

Second reason - Houston going out scene migrates from area to area. I remember when the Richmond Strip and Shepard Plaza were cool and their were full of people. Then DT main street was full of people having a fun. To be honest with every new area that was full of clubs and bars, every thing was cool, then a few years later the thugs start showing up and it slowly pushes out the people who spend money and want to have fun. This is happening to Main Street and this is what happen to the Richmond Strip and Shepard Plaza.

Areas like the village have done a good job of not letting this happen....I also hope this doesn't happen to Midtown.

I don't disagree. I didn't say Houston was dead, just that Downtown was.

You right their are many other places that are full of people and that are full of fun, but right now DT main street is dead after 10PM. The nice restraunts and bars that are full of people close about that time and people scatter off of main street like a plaque is coming.

Edited by Ethanra

Areas like the village have done a good job of not letting this happen....I also hope this doesn't happen to Midtown.

The nice restraunts and bars that are full of people close about that time and people scatter off of main street like a plaque is coming.

I don't see that happening in Midtown as the customer base is less affluent and sophisticated-those traits seem to prop-up areas like the Richmond strip and Midtown for a while. Once the customer base matures the attraction dies down. We were at the same event dal was. When we left we went to Bayou Place for dinner. All the restaurants were packed so we walked over to Mia Bellas-our favorite. Packed. So we got on the Red Line and went to Julia's, had a nice dinner and came back to our parked car at Market Square.

I don't see that happening in Midtown as the customer base is less affluent and sophisticated-those traits seem to prop-up areas like the Richmond strip and Midtown for a while. Once the customer base matures the attraction dies down. We were at the same event dal was. When we left we went to Bayou Place for dinner. All the restaurants were packed so we walked over to Mia Bellas-our favorite. Packed. So we got on the Red Line and went to Julia's, had a nice dinner and came back to our parked car at Market Square.

Not to nitpick - but "all the restaurants at Bayou Place were packed" means three places plus Hard Rock Cafe (which I don't count) were packed. Then Mia Bella -- agreed, the only decent place in the nightlife district Downtown -- makes a fourth place "packed". This is the downtown rennaissance of the fourth largest city in Texas? there just isn't much going on.

The fact that you had to go to Midtown to find something that suited you is telling of Downtown's dire prognosis...at least until HP changes the landscape...hopefully.

Edited by dalparadise

Not to nitpick - but "all the restaurants at Bayou Place were packed" means three places plus Hard Rock Cafe (which I don't count) were packed. Then Mia Bella -- agreed, the only decent place in the nightlife district Downtown -- makes a fourth place "packed". This is the downtown rennaissance of the fourth largest city in Texas? there just isn't much going on.

The fact that you had to go to Midtown to find something that suited you is telling of Downtown's dire prognosis...at least until HP changes the landscape...hopefully.

We didn't have to go to Midtown-we choose to go to Midtown because our favorites: Mia Bella, Sambuco, Vic and Anthony's, Arista, The Strip House, Cabos, St. Pete's had long waiting lists.

So we had the opportunity to go to Julia's on the crappy train, have a nice dinner, save fuel; avoid the stress of getting into the car; trying to find another place to park then driving back to DT. BTW, just because you don't consider consider The Hard Rock doesn't make it any less of a destination. In any event after calling all of the above and finding the majority had a 45 minute-2 hour waiting list-except Julias-we took the crappy train to the shortest waiting list-and only had to wait 5 minutes for a table.

Edited by nmainguy

The hotel, which looks kind of like the Bellagio inside, was practically deserted. The lobby bar had 4-5 people. The "Chop House" seemed empty. There was another deserted restaurant in the lobby. We rode up to the 24th floor "Restaurant" on top of the hotel. It is very beautiful and the view is magnificent, but we were informed that no food is served at that hour -- 10:30 after a show on a Friday night, mind you. I asked if we could order room service or ask if food could be brought up to us from downstairs. The waiter said, "No, corporate says no service up here after 10:00pm" Can you imagine a hotel in a town that courts tourism or even local business responding this way? Big surprise -- this place was also virtually empty. Nice investment, City of Houston.

I have the opportunity to chat with one of the downtown regulars who works for the Hilton and a few weekends ago, the occupancy was 17%. with all the extra taxes added on, it really isn't worth it to drink/eat there unless you have a specific need to.

Yet we had the opportunity to go to Julia's on the crappy train, have a nice dinner, save fuel; avoid the stress of getting into the car; trying to find another place to park then driving back to DT. BTW, just because you don't consider consider The Hard Rock doesn't make it any less of a destination. Do you also devalue Sambuco, Arista, The Strip House, Vic and Anthonys, Cabos, St. Pete's...etc...? We could have gone to any of those that night but instead of taking the chance they were all booked up, we took an educated guess; jumped on the crappy train to Julias and only had to wait 15 minutes.

V&A's and Strip House suffer from the same crappy train syndrome as Hilton Americas. Sambuca is awful. Artista is nice and close, but completely isolated and in the wrong direction. Plus, everyone in my group agreed that the service is terrible. Cabo and St. Pete's do not warrant a response.

I'm all for saving fuel and avoiding stress, but our train doesn't go anywhere in Downtown. It only goes to Midtown -- a choice I agree was your best one for finding an interesting place to go... at an early hour... in the middle of what aspires to be a vibrant city.

I have the opportunity to chat with one of the downtown regulars who works for the Hilton and a few weekends ago, the occupancy was 17%. with all the extra taxes added on, it really isn't worth it to drink/eat there unless you have a specific need to.

That's a shame. It's one of the best looking places in town.

Edited by dalparadise

Hurry up, Houston Pavillions. Downtown Houston is dead.

I went to the Symphony last night for a Pops show -- "Hooray for Hollywood". It was very nice, but after the show, there was nothing going on, ON A FRIDAY NIGHT at 10:00pm. We wanted a view, food and drinks, so we decided on the Hilton Americas. Poor Houston, with its crappy train -- you just can't get there within a nice walking distance on a hot, humid night, through deserted, dark streets. So, we walked a few blocks to our car and drove the many blocks to the hotel.

One thing you have to take into consideration that this is a holiday weekend. Clubs are generally slow on 3 day weekends, the entire city was slow when it came to business (from what my pocketbook is telling me) and quite a few other people and business agree. It just slowed down for the past couple of weeks but more so this week.

I have to agree with another poster has stated, the color of the people enjoying themselves at a club YOU wouldn't go to shouldn't matter to you as to whether Houston has a nightlife as well.

As far as the "pitiful train" Sorry the rail didn't have a direct line to and from the theater district to the Hilton Americas, catch a cab.

Hotel businesses during the weekends IS slow unless there is a major sports event, a convention, or a major concert going on. The Hyatt DT is currently packed, and HAS been packed for a racquetball Tournament over at the YMCA that has been taken place for the entire week. Over 100 Checkouts are currently scheduled for tomorrow, it's at THAT point that the hotel will be dead.

There was a convention earlier this week at the GRB and Americas was packed as well.

I'm constantly getting comments on how difficult it is to get a hotel room downtown at times, so before you comment on how dead downtown is, you two need to REALLY get to know what is going on around town before going off and shooting at the mouth.

Just to put this in perspective, I was downtown a few weeks ago on a Friday night and it seemed to be pretty happening. I ate at Mia Bella and walked around a bit on Main and the bars seemed to be busy. Not as busy as downtown Montreal or Toronto but by Houston standards I was impressed. Main street square seems to me to always be dead but north of there on Main and Bayou Place seemed to be busy.

About having a Metro system that would take you from the Theater District to the Hilton... it's a nice idea but even in places like Montreal you have to walk those sort of distances regularly. Take a look at the map, the metro system is extensive but you still have to walk to get to many destinations between the lines. The difference, I guess, is that there are more people in the streets and less abandoned buildings hence more to look at as you walk in Montreal but distance wise that type of walk is pretty common even for cities with good subway systems. The walking thing in Houston will only get better as more street level businesses appear such as those at HP.

One thing you have to take into consideration that this is a holiday weekend. Clubs are generally slow on 3 day weekends, the entire city was slow when it came to business (from what my pocketbook is telling me) and quite a few other people and business agree. It just slowed down for the past couple of weeks but more so this week.

I have to agree with another poster has stated, the color of the people enjoying themselves at a club YOU wouldn't go to shouldn't matter to you as to whether Houston has a nightlife as well.

As far as the "pitiful train" Sorry the rail didn't have a direct line to and from the theater district to the Hilton Americas, catch a cab.

Hotel businesses during the weekends IS slow unless there is a major sports event, a convention, or a major concert going on. The Hyatt DT is currently packed, and HAS been packed for a racquetball Tournament over at the YMCA that has been taken place for the entire week. Over 100 Checkouts are currently scheduled for tomorrow, it's at THAT point that the hotel will be dead.

There was a convention earlier this week at the GRB and Americas was packed as well.

I'm constantly getting comments on how difficult it is to get a hotel room downtown at times, so before you comment on how dead downtown is, you two need to REALLY get to know what is going on around town before going off and shooting at the mouth.

Wow, you're right. If I had known about that racquetball tournament, I'm sure my perception would have been altered. Over 100 checkouts? Whew! I can't believe a city this size can handle such an exodus. Perhaps that's why we couldn't find a cab to the Hilton. The streets were empty. No cabs. No nothing.

when the info is coming from someone who works there, i think that's a little more than "shooting at the mouth". I know someone who stays there regularly. she lives near the village and stays there mostly (or icon) and never seems to have a problem finding a hotel room in downtown on the weekends. She's willing to pay the primo bucks though.

Wow, you're right. If I had known about that racquetball tournament, I'm sure my perception would have been altered. Over 100 checkouts? Whew! I can't believe a city this size can handle such an exodus. Perhaps that's why we couldn't find a cab to the Hilton. The streets were empty. No cabs. No nothing.

I didn't know it was in town until thursday to be honest with you. From what one of the players told me, it's a very big deal.

100 checkouts may not seem like much to you, but it is a bit of a number considering it's coming from only one hotel. The rest of the people from the tournament are likely to leave over the 24 hrs after the tournament is over. After that, Downtown is going to be dead until the following week due to the shortened business week.

If you didn't spot an available cab, more than likely they deserted downtown as well for more greener pastures within the city (montrose, Galleria, The Village, etc).

V&A's and Strip House suffer from the same crappy train syndrome as Hilton Americas. Sambuca is awful. Artista is nice and close, but completely isolated and in the wrong direction. Plus, everyone in my group agreed that the service is terrible. Cabo and St. Pete's do not warrant a response.

This all makes more sense now... None of the places I like were busy, so DT must be dead unless I want to hang out with brown people.

Right.

when the info is coming from someone who works there, i think that's a little more than "shooting at the mouth". I know someone who stays there regularly. she lives near the village and stays there mostly (or icon) and never seems to have a problem finding a hotel room in downtown on the weekends. She's willing to pay the primo bucks though.

Houston is a BUSINESS FIRST type of town. Weekends have always been hard for downtown hotels. Ask your friend how easy it is to get a room monday-friday. I know when I've come to town and tried to stay downtown, rooms are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper on the weekends as a way to try and lure people to what would otherwise be empty rooms. Here's an example of a random search comparing the same hotels for Saturday June 9th to Tuesday June 12th...

On Saturday, June 9th, all of the following downtown hotels had availability. Here were the lowest single room rates I could find on hotels.com;

$205 Four Seasons

$155 Alden Hotel

$149 Lancaster Hotel

$139 Hotel Icon

$119 Inn at the Ballpark

$117 Hilton Americas

$113 Magnolia Hotel

$110 Hyatt Regency

$99 Marriott Courtyard

$85 Doubletree Allen Center

$84 Club Quarters

On Tuesday, June 12th, the Hilton Americas had NO AVAILABILITY. I also checked the Hilton site directly and the were booked solid. Here were the lowest prices for other hotels.

$295 Four Seasons

$289 Hyatt Regency

$259 Marriott Courtyard

$239 Hotel Icon

$235 Alden Hotel

$206 Lancaster

$189 Doubletree Allen Center

$179 Inn at the Ballpark

$179 Magnolia Hotel

$119 Club Quarters

On the average, hotels in downtown were $94 more per the same class of room on a weekday.

$