Artic Blast

houstonfella

People in Wyoming and Colorado probably have chains on their tires. We have no idea what those are in Houston.

Well ,*I* am blasting. Right out of my nose and I'm in a crises, I ran out of cold medicine and I only have part of the recipe. I have plenty of nyquil but no Vodka and the liquor stores are closed. :(

THAT is a matter worth discussing about.

What are you making with that cold medicine?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People in Wyoming and Colorado probably have chains on their tires. We have no idea what those are in Houston.

What are you making with that cold medicine?

Cold medicine of course. Two shots of Nyquil and one shot of vodka.

:)

Nope no need for chains, they plow the roads regularly, and they keep a lot of salt down to reduce the ice issues. Like I said just more prepaired for it, I doubt that the State of Texas has a snow plow south of Wichita Falls.

Nope no need for chains, they plow the roads regularly, and they keep a lot of salt down to reduce the ice issues. Like I said just more prepaired for it, I doubt that the State of Texas has a snow plow south of Wichita Falls.

Studded snow tires are a dream if you can justify using them. But illegal in many places due to the havoc they wreak on whatever pavement is not snow covered!

No ice here just inside the South Loop. I don't think it got below freezing all night. If it did, it wasn't for very long.

No ice on the windshields, no ice on the steps, no icicles.

We had a worse freeze a few weeks ago, when there was frost on every roof in the neighborhood, pools of water in the yard were frozen solid, and I had to scrape ice off the windshield of the car!

The whole response from Houstonians (and our beloved media) to this "arctic blast" has just been hilarious! OOh, it dropped below freezing and ice actually formed in a few places!! I laughed every time someone mentioned the weather over the last few days. You'd think people had never been in winter weather before. The hyperbolic gushings of the ridiculous TV media in Houston didn't help matters any I suppose. What a joke...

Well, it's quite the icy sheet here in B/CS. Foot-long icicles hanging from everyone's roofs. No snow accumulation on the ground, but there's a nice sheet of ice everywhere. It took me a while to break through the ice shell and get into my truck this morning, only to discover that TAMU is closed again today (last night they had said they would open at 9 am and start class at noon). It's just plain ole' raining right now and temp is at 30F. Supposed to get above freezing today, I hope.

The whole response from Houstonians (and our beloved media) to this "arctic blast" has just been hilarious! OOh, it dropped below freezing and ice actually formed in a few places!! I laughed every time someone mentioned the weather over the last few days. You'd think people had never been in winter weather before. The hyperbolic gushings of the ridiculous TV media in Houston didn't help matters any I suppose. What a joke...

My personal favorite this morning was some weather girl on Channel 2 who was splashing her galoshes in the water puddles in the street to show that they were not frozen.

It's all about the preparation. Northerners are laughing at us when we shut down because the lows drop into the 20's. But you don't see many southerners dying in the streets (like they do in the north) when it gets above 90 for a few days, either.

Well, it's quite the icy sheet here in B/CS. Foot-long icicles hanging from everyone's roofs. No snow accumulation on the ground, but there's a nice sheet of ice everywhere. It took me a while to break through the ice shell and get into my truck this morning, only to discover that TAMU is closed again today (last night they had said they would open at 9 am and start class at noon). It's just plain ole' raining right now and temp is at 30F. Supposed to get above freezing today, I hope.

I'll take a few inches of snow any day to a patina of smooth ice. Even northerners quake at the sight of a true ice storm. Snow is a handicap of the laws of physics that keep tires on the road. Ice is a complete breakdown!

I'll take a few inches of snow any day to a patina of smooth ice. Even northerners quake at the sight of a true ice storm. Snow is a handicap of the laws of physics that keep tires on the road. Ice is a complete breakdown!

They're saying that just about all the bridges in Brazos County are iced over and are still urging everyone to stay off the roads.

To put things in perspective, my mother-in-law lives in Springfield, MO, and she's been without power for several days. Out of a little over 100,000 people in the city, 75,000 were without power at the height of the ice storm, and about 25,000 are still without power today. The ice has caused tremendous damage up there, with many trees collapsed onto houses. Check out the photo galleries linked here.

Here's the icicles hanging on the neighbor's house and why I had trouble breaking into the truck this morning.

To put things in perspective, my mother-in-law lives in Springfield, MO, and she's been without power for several days. Out of a little over 100,000 people in the city, 75,000 were without power at the height of the ice storm, and about 25,000 are still without power today. The ice has caused tremendous damage up there, with many trees collapsed onto houses. Check out the photo galleries linked here.

DAY-UM!!

post-1047-1169053339.jpg

post-1047-1169053369.jpg

Meanwhile, Dallas was a bitter 21.

I always get a giggle out of the usage of that word around here... being from NH, bitter, to me, is 10 below or colder...

That being said, I've grown soft... waiting for the bus in this stuff kills me now! I just have to remind myself that I've had to walk 5 miles in weather that was 65 degrees colder before.

Here's the icicles hanging on the neighbor's house and why I had trouble breaking into the truck this morning.

When I stumbled into work around noon-time, there were icicles hanging from the covered parking. I jumped up and grabbed the largest one, went into the deli, and said "this is a stickup". Got a few laughs. Then the guy at the deli counter took it, noticed the little hole in the end, and stuck it up against his wrist, like he was shooting up.

Then I realized that the icicle had left my hands covered in dirt...but wait! That's not dirt! :o:o:o

It was bird droppings. Frozen bird droppings. :(

It was bird droppings. Frozen bird droppings. :(

Yuck. . . :blink:

All of the cool icicle melted at my work.

Will it freeze again tonight, or is this it?

Update, just notice this is placed in a dedicated section now for the Ice Storm with the ability to attach photos in it.

Nifty! ^_^

Nice photo, relieved that we had some sort of an actual winter season with actual weather changes.

I would not mind another day or two of freezing temps to see some more icicles and frost.

I think you may get your wish Puma.

Archived