Apple iPhone

I really want a stripped-down version (basically a souped up iPod) with everything the iPhone has except the phone.

You may get your wish. In today's telecast to the Apple Store employees, Steve mentioned the next generation iPods will have something like CoverFlow.

Yeah, I can't imagine them keeping the same form factor for the iPods.

30gig iPod:

.43" x 2.4" x 4.1"

60gig iPod:

.55" x 2.4" x 4.1"

iPhone:

.46" x 2.4" x 4.5"

So... the iPhone is thinner than a 60gig iPod, the same width, and slightly taller. Pretty neat.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that HAIF on the iPhone at the top? Oh, and will this iPhone go to Verizon? I would like to have it.

Well, that is HAIF in the graphic, but don't even think about an iPhone on Verizon for the next two years. Sorry bud, if you want it, and want phone service, the only way is through ATT.

Well, that is HAIF in the graphic, but don't even think about an iPhone on Verizon for the next two years. Sorry bud, if you want it, and want phone service, the only way is through ATT.

Well damn. I'll guess I'll go buy the EnV then.

There is a 'rumor' going around that ATT 'might' offer up to 18 months of free service to switchers. I guess this is in compensation for fees you might encounter for breaking your contract with another service.

This is just a rumor however and not sure it has any legs.

There is a 'rumor' going around that ATT 'might' offer up to 18 months of free service to switchers. I guess this is in compensation for fees you might encounter for breaking your contract with another service.

Even though there won't be an iPhone in the family for a few months, I'm glad it's on AT&T instead of Verizon or Sprint. Not going with a GSM network would have been crazy for Apple, especially when you consider that the people who can most easily afford an iPhone are the ones who are already on GSM networks.

In spite of my best efforts, my wife bought an iPhone anyway. I'm actually typing this on the iPhone. All the negative speculation about the keyboard was wrong. This thing is slick. I'm able to type much faster on this than I am on my SonyEricsson M600i. The reviewers were right-- you just have to trust the phone.

If anyone has any questions they want answered by someone who actually owns one of these things, let me know and I'll ask her.

In spite of my best efforts, my wife bought an iPhone anyway. I'm actually typing this on the iPhone. All the negative speculation about the keyboard was wrong. This thing is slick. I'm able to type much faster on this than I am on my SonyEricsson M600i. The reviewers were right-- you just have to trust the phone.

If anyone has any questions they want answered by someone who actually owns one of these things, let me know and I'll ask her.

I bought one as well. Highly, highly recommended.

I tried out the iPhone's camera. I took this snap from my living room very early this morning. This gives you an idea of that the iPhone's camera is like. Not very good, in my estimation. Very soft, but at least the color is good. It may also be because it was very early in the morning and the sun wasn't really up yet (you can tell by the big shadow on the Park Hyatt), probably around 5am. I don't know how it compares to other cell phone cameras because I've never used one.

Also, the resolution on this picture is only 640x480, but the iPhone has a two megapixel camera. I must have some setting set wrong because 640x480 isn't two megapixels. I guess it's possible that the mail program compressed the image before it sent it to me. I'll look into it later.

Iphoto.jpg

The reviewers have said that internet browsing is very slow - what do you think?

Im not sure if you have access to an Exchange server, if you do, can you get your email via the iPhone ?

The reviewers have said that internet browsing is very slow - what do you think?

It depends on where you are. The iPhone will automatically hop on to wifi networks that you've used before and when that's the case it's just as fast as on a regular computer. When you're not near a familiar wifi, it will switch to the EDGE network. A lot of people have complained about EDGE being slow, but I don't think it's awful. I think we've become so used to wifi surfing that we forget that most cellular data networks aren't that great.

My phone (SonyEricsson M600i) uses GPRS when I'm in the United States. It's about the speed of 56k dialup. I've gone to speed test web sites and they tell me that I'm getting 48k download and 13k upload with GPRS. The iPhone feels faster than that. Not 100x faster like a wired connection, but maybe 3-4x faster. It's not a disappointment to either me or my wife because it's better than what we've had to this point. She's had nothing and I'm on GPRS.

Yes, there are other mobile data networks that are faster. And before anyone starts touting the theoretical benefits of another service, let me tell you I KNOW what it's like to have a fast mobile phone data connection. When I was in Japan last I used my phone tethered to my laptop, and the HSDPA speed is incredible. In Singapore I was able to stream perfect live video while riding on the subway.

At work we have about 20 laptops with Sprint high-speed data cards in them. They're great when they work, but most of the time they don't work at all. Coverage is bad or there's a building in the way, or the system gets confused. It's gotten so bad that most of the people assigned to these computers "forget" to take them with them each day, preferring to rely on paper and pen.

So, yes, the EDGE network isn't the best network out there. But considering what's available, it's not the worst and it's not the best. It's more than enough for e-mail. Checking the three IMAP e-mail accounts set up on my wife's iPhone takes about 4-7 seconds. A little less if there's no new messages. The Google Maps application works great. When it's in maps, and maps+traffic mode on EDGE, I notice very little lag compared to my Windows machine at work, which is hooked up to a 14 megabit connection. The maps application does seem to slow down on EDGE when you bring in the aerial photos, though.

Im not sure if you have access to an Exchange server, if you do, can you get your email via the iPhone ?

At this time the iPhone is IMAP, POP3, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and AOL Mail only. IMAP is an option on Exchange servers that can be enabled by an administrator. Apple is expected to announce Exchange support real soon now, and there have been pictures of the Exchange setup screens floating around the web. Why it hasn't been enabled probably has to do with licensing issues. Apple has to license the Exchange technology from Microsoft, and I'm pretty sure that's a lot more complicated than it sounds.

A third-party company announced over the weekend that it's going to make its own Exchange solution for iPhone available in September, so that will be an option if the Apple-Microsoft deal falls through. So if you're the type switching from a Blackberry using Exchange, you might want to wait until Exchange is enabled on iPhone. It would probably make things easier on yourself.

Thanks for the responses.....I actually stopped by the AT&T store Saturday to check it out....

It's a great looking phone - I was sure tempted, but I think I'll hold off a bit to read more real-world experiences like yours...so far people seem to be fairly pleased with it...

A lot of people have wondered how tough the iPhone is, especially considering that a couple of earlier models of the iPod Nano were believed to scratch more easily than they should.

This article and video should put any fears to rest. The thing is tougher than any cell phone I've used.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133636/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Wow, everyone would switch, but that is a really over the top rumor.

Never will happen.

Wow, everyone would switch, but that is a really over the top rumor.

Never will happen.

I think at this point we can safely say that rumor is dead.

BUT -- if you want an iPhone WITHOUT an AT&T contract, it is possible. A number of web sites have step-by-step instructions for making it happen.

Essentially, you put in 999-99-9999 for your Social Security number during the credit check. When no credit report comes back for someone with that number, iTunes offers to put you on one of the pay-as-you-go plans. I wish I knew that before my wife committed herself to two years with AT&T.

I think at this point we can safely say that rumor is dead.

BUT -- if you want an iPhone WITHOUT an AT&T contract, it is possible. A number of web sites have step-by-step instructions for making it happen.

Essentially, you put in 999-99-9999 for your Social Security number during the credit check. When no credit report comes back for someone with that number, iTunes offers to put you on one of the pay-as-you-go plans. I wish I knew that before my wife committed herself to two years with AT&T.

I'll have to try this. I really want the iPhone.

so you can BUY the phone without the contract for $699? If so, I'm SO there.

That's what I've read.

When you buy an iPhone (especially at an Apple Store), it's not like buying any other phone.

There's no hanging around waiting for some phone tech to activate it. You go in, ask for a phone and they hand you the box. Simple as that.

You take the phone home and when you turn it on the screen instructs you to plug it in to your computer. When you do, iTunes starts (assuming iTunes is already installed) and you actually do the registration and activation through iTunes all by yourself at your own pace.

There's a few reasons for this.

1. Crowd control at the stores. Letting people buy a box and walk away instead of having throngs of people waiting for activation certainly helps the security situation.
  2. AT&T's customer service blows. Apple knows it. AT&T knows it. That's why when you have an iPhone problem, you get APPLE customer service. There's even a different number than you would call if you were a regular AT&T customer. Apple wins cusomter service awards for its phone support, and doesn't want AT&T screwing it up. There is one tiny part of the activation process that necessitates Apple passing information through AT&T, and guess what -- that's the part that AT&T screwed up, just like Apple feared. In spite of all the publicity, the delayed activations affected only 2% of iPhone customers.
  3. Apple knows syncing. When you plug your phone in it brings in not only your contacts, but your e-mail, your e-mail account information, your calendars, your web bookmarks, and more. There's no sitting down for 30 minutes setting up your e-mail on an iPhone. Syncing with iTunes brings all of that information over in seconds. I've set up close to a dozen cell phones in my life, and this was the absolute easiest process ever.

Another note about the activation problems with AT&T -- my wife ran into a little problem where the phone activated, and could make calls and the data worked, but it wouldn't RECEIVE calls. Calling her number would plop you back into her old T-Mobile voice mail (not a big deal as she uses less than 45 minutes of talk time a month). After about 12 hours, she called customer service number to see what was going on. A HUMAN BEING answered the phone on the third ring. She told her that T-Mobile wouldn't release the number on their side becuase the account was in my name. My wife verified some information and the woman told her everything would be OK within 12 hours. FIVE MINUTES LATER she received an e-mail telling her everything was fixed, and it was. She could receive calls.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, THAT is a prime example of Apple customer service, and is pretty much in line with every time (three I think) that I've had to call Apple for help or repairs.

That's what I've read.

When you buy an iPhone (especially at an Apple Store), it's not like buying any other phone.

There's no hanging around waiting for some phone tech to activate it. You go in, ask for a phone and they hand you the box. Simple as that.

You take the phone home and when you turn it on the screen instructs you to plug it in to your computer. When you do, iTunes starts (assuming iTunes is already installed) and you actually do the registration and activation through iTunes all by yourself at your own pace.

There's a few reasons for this.

1. Crowd control at the stores. Letting people buy a box and walk away instead of having throngs of people waiting for activation certainly helps the security situation.
  2. AT&T's customer service blows. Apple knows it. AT&T knows it. That's why when you have an iPhone problem, you get APPLE customer service. There's even a different number than you would call if you were a regular AT&T customer. Apple wins cusomter service awards for its phone support, and doesn't want AT&T screwing it up. There is one tiny part of the activation process that necessitates Apple passing information through AT&T, and guess what -- that's the part that AT&T screwed up, just like Apple feared. In spite of all the publicity, the delayed activations affected only 2% of iPhone customers.
  3. Apple knows syncing. When you plug your phone in it brings in not only your contacts, but your e-mail, your e-mail account information, your calendars, your web bookmarks, and more. There's no sitting down for 30 minutes setting up your e-mail on an iPhone. Syncing with iTunes brings all of that information over in seconds. I've set up close to a dozen cell phones in my life, and this was the absolute easiest process ever.

Another note about the activation problems with AT&T -- my wife ran into a little problem where the phone activated, and could make calls and the data worked, but it wouldn't RECEIVE calls. Calling her number would plop you back into her old T-Mobile voice mail (not a big deal as she uses less than 45 minutes of talk time a month). After about 12 hours, she called customer service number to see what was going on. A HUMAN BEING answered the phone on the third ring. She told her that T-Mobile wouldn't release the number on their side becuase the account was in my name. My wife verified some information and the woman told her everything would be OK within 12 hours. FIVE MINUTES LATER she received an e-mail telling her everything was fixed, and it was. She could receive calls.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, THAT is a prime example of Apple customer service, and is pretty much in line with every time (three I think) that I've had to call Apple for help or repairs.

Oooo....maybe I CAN use it for T-Mobile. :)

<does happy dance>

</does happy dance>

What are the sales like for the iPhone?

Mostly sold out. Apple was hoping for 100,000 in the first weekend. Most analysts expected 200,000. Reports Monday afternoon put the figure at around 500,000.

Oooo....maybe I CAN use it for T-Mobile. :)

<does happy dance>

</does happy dance>

Nope. It's been tried. The phone won't accept a T-Mobile SIM card. It's a shame.

The reason is because AT&T tweaked its network to work with the iPhone's special features, most notably the Visual Voicemail.

Archived