Apple iPhone

My cheap Trac Phone Nokia 1100 uses Verizon, Cingular ,T Mobil and others. It say's in the booklet that it goes with the strongest signal. but i can't make international calls :(

Sure, you have no data features, no color, and can't call internationally -- but you've got 400 hours of standby time on a battery charge. My phone is only 340 on standby. Marks is rated for 305 hours. That doesn't sound like much of a difference, but when you're out in the middle of nowhere every hour counts.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People just won't change providers just because there is a neat phone out there.

*Ahem* Well, I will.

I believe people are getting savvy enough where they will go ahead and purchase an unlocked phone and use it on THEIR carriers.

I don't understand all your fancy science about "unlocking" phones. Your world frightens and confuses me. But I do know this. I have to have one of these. Geez, last night I even dreamed about iPhones. :blush: Now is that mad or what? :lol:

Does anyone know if the iPhone will have IR (Infrared)? I use this to open up Supra Lock Boxes and hence carry a Treo 650 right now but would love to ditch it and T-Mobile.

Scharpe St Guy

I doubt it. Apple dropped IR from its laptops in 2002 and hasn't looked back. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't make an iPhone attachment that did IR, since IR is more common in the phone world than in laptops. I saw one some web site somewhere that someone made an IR attachment that plugs into the headphone jack of an iPod, and you load codes into it like songs and play them to make it work.

Sure, you have no data features, no color, and can't call internationally -- but you've got 400 hours of standby time on a battery charge. My phone is only 340 on standby. Marks is rated for 305 hours. That doesn't sound like much of a difference, but when you're out in the middle of nowhere every hour counts.

Forgot to mention that the Blackjack comes with two batteries, so you can double that number before you have to find some power to plug into. The travel charger is very cool and international ready.

Interesting that your Samsung came with two batteries. Most places I buy phones from, the dealer throws in an extra battery in order to get you to buy from him instead of the guy down the street. I wonder if we'll see more of this from manufacturers in the future.

Fox,

I was a long time Sprint customer and the customer service and warranty services went from bad to almost non-existent. I finally said enough is enough and I had heard and read that T-Mobile was good or in the top 2 carriers. Forget which was number 1 at the time. Anyhow I signed up and I have my Treo 650 and two RAZRS on the network and we get more dropped calls and lousy service with them then from Sprint. Is any service out there any good?

I know and appreciate that I shouldn't expect a perfect phone/service that won't ever drop a call, technology is imperfect however approx 5-10 times a week is pretty excessive. If I am to believe all the advertising they say Cingular has a pretty good service with the fewest dropped calls. True? I will also be purchasing a Sony SZ laptop with in the next three months and it comes with Cingular hence why not try out another carrier.

Anyhow your replies, observations, stories more then welcomed.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Ditch T-mobile for cingular? Classic...

Interesting that your Samsung came with two batteries. Most places I buy phones from, the dealer throws in an extra battery in order to get you to buy from him instead of the guy down the street. I wonder if we'll see more of this from manufacturers in the future.

Not only that but it comes with a cord so you can charge off of the USB on your laptop/PC, pretty cool setup. The regular charger has a small docking port built in it for the extra battery to stay in. It's different than any other setup I've seen. The guy told me they give you two batteries because when you are surfing the net in 3G it tends to eat batteries (approx 2 hrs). And the charger will quick charge a battery in 1.5 hrs so you have a steady flow if you are on the web a lot.

I has auto-snyc software that somes with it and it will sync your email, or documents you are working on in word, exel, or powerpoint. Also your MP3's and videos. You set up what you like. I have about 75 tunes on it, and they have bluetooth stereo headphones you can buy for an extra Ben Franklin. or you can get the cord type for $29. They have and adapter I am told so you can use your Sure's or Bose if you have them. I am going to pick one of them up because I have several sets of SP-5's already, I use with my wireless monitors.

Anyhow I signed up and I have my Treo 650 and two RAZRS on the network and we get more dropped calls and lousy service with them then from Sprint. Is any service out there any good?

Cell service quality is regional. It's just the nature of the beast. Your experience will only be as good as your proximity to the nearest tower.

I know people in Houston who can't stand Sprint and think it's the worst possible carrier. I also know people who think Sprint is the best carrier they've ever used. These people have different commuting and use patterns.

Historically, Sprint has only had good service along interstate highways. They built out their network along those routes first and then spread into neighborhoods.

That said, after Hurricane Katrina some of my co-workers were in places in Mississippi that had no water, no electricity, no land line phone service, and no voice cell service. But somehow their Sprint data cards in their laptops still could connect and we were able to communicate through e-mail.

I'd wager that Cingular has fabulous service in the Southeast, because that's where it's from. Just like Cincinnati Bell has the best cell phone coverage in the Cincinnati-Kentucky-Indiana area. And Verizon is supposed to rule in the Northeast.

Personally, I'm with T-Mobile. Mostly because they understand international issues and useage much more than the other carriers. The reason I dumped AT&T/Cingular/AT&T was because at the time they didn't even OFFER an international phone, let alone international service. T-Mobile does well with that, probably because the parent company is the former German government telephone company (Deutsche Telekom). More importantly -- T-Mobile's international rates are half that of Cingular, and its data rates both in the U.S. and internationally are dirt cheap (unlimited web and e-mail $5.99/month, unlimited full internet with FTP, SSH, Telnet, etc... for $19.99).

I know and appreciate that I shouldn't expect a perfect phone/service that won't ever drop a call, technology is imperfect however approx 5-10 times a week is pretty excessive. If I am to believe all the advertising they say Cingular has a pretty good service with the fewest dropped calls. True?

For fewest dropped calls, go with whomever has the most towers in the area where you will use the phone.

I recommend figuring out what Houston Cellular ended up becoming -- they're likely to be the leader in the area.

Also, you can check T-Mobile's signal strength maps down to the street level online. I've found them to be remarkably accurate.

• 3 months later...

FCC approves iphone, sales start in June.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved Apple Inc.'s iPhone, clearing the way for the combined phone and music player to hit the shelves. Apple expects to begin selling the phones in late June

Link

• 3 weeks later...

Introduction date is June 29th.

Could be!

Who knows?

There's something due any day;

I will know right away,

Soon as it shows.

It may come cannonballing down through the sky,

Gleam in its eye,

Bright as a rose!

Who knows?

It's only just out of reach,

Down the block, on a beach,

Under a tree.

I got a feeling there's a miracle due,

Gonna come true,

Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.

Something's coming, something good,

If I can wait!

Something's coming, I don't know what it is,

But it is

Gonna be great!

With a click, with a shock,

Phone'll jingle, door'll knock,

Open the latch!

Something's coming, don't know when, but it's soon;

Catch the moon,

One-handed catch!

Around the corner,

Or whistling down the river,

Come on, deliver

To me!

Will it be? Yes, it will.

Maybe just by holding still,

It'll be there!

Come on, something, come on in, don't be shy,

Meet a guy,

Pull up a chair!

The air is humming,

And something great is coming!

Introduction date is June 29th.

Oh stop it! I'm already going nuts waiting for the I-Phone. I'm about ready to dump T-mobile (no contract in 4 years!) and see what kind of deal I can get out of AT&T.

There will be no good deals from AT&T on this one. I'm sure they will milk us saps for every penny. I'll be switching from Verizon since my contract ran out a few months ago. AT&T will be better than Verizon internationally also.

Oh stop it! I'm already going nuts waiting for the I-Phone. I'm about ready to dump T-mobile (no contract in 4 years!) and see what kind of deal I can get out of AT&T.

One of the rumor sites says you won't need to go with the two-year Cingular contract because the iPhone will be available as pay-as-you-go.

That's the ONLY way my wife will get her hands on one (and boy does she want one). No contracts for cable TV, internet, land line phone, newspaper subscription, water, electricity, insurance or anything else. I see no reason to have a contract with a cell phone.

• 3 weeks later...

I had been going on about the iPhone so much that somebody sent me this. :lol:

iProduct.gif

The rumor is that on June 29 every AT&T store will close at 4PM to prepare for the onslaught by setting up displays and queue lines, and then reopen at 6:00 when the iphone officially goes on sale.

I had been going on about the iPhone so much that somebody sent me this. :lol:

iProduct.gif

The rumor is that on June 29 every AT&T store will close at 4PM to prepare for the onslaught by setting up displays and queue lines, and then reopen at 6:00 when the iphone officially goes on sale.

<happy dance>

:D

</happy dance>

i'm with you...if i can make and receive calls i'm happy

Once you have a SmartPhone or iPhone you'll never go back. You can't beating having it all in your hands. And you'd be surprised how handy it is being able to search the Web on the fly.

Once you have a SmartPhone or iPhone you'll never go back. You can't beating having it all in your hands. And you'd be surprised how handy it is being able to search the Web on the fly.

i had web but cancelled it because i rarely used it. i still wash dishes by hand BTW.

I really want a stripped-down version (basically a souped up iPod) with everything the iPhone has except the phone.

iPhone adoption for me, maybe later, I can't wait for the iPhone'd version of the next iPod, wide screen and flash memory standard.

Yeah, I can't imagine them keeping the same form factor for the iPods.

Archived