Apple iPhone

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That thing is beautiful. I was hoping it wouldn't be over $400 though. :(

It is still within line of other PDA/phone combos, maybe slightly higher, but you are getting a much nicer nano type capacity in an ipod video layout.

I can only bet the next ipod video will be amazing, I guess we have to wait until next year for that one though.

I'm not impressed. They keep coming out with more ways to shove the technology already invented at consumers in different ways. It's too much technology, and for such a small device to be worth 600 dollars, it could easily be lost.

I want to see new inventions, not just more cameras, cell phones, mp3, internet devices.

I'm not impressed. They keep coming out with more ways to shove the technology already invented at consumers in different ways. It's too much technology, and for such a small device to be worth 600 dollars, it could easily be lost.

I want to see new inventions, not just more cameras, cell phones, mp3, internet devices.

but they're combining them all, so it is advanced. It's somewhat of a reasonable price considering if you bought all of those seperately, they might cost more.

What kind of new inventions are you thinkin of?

but they're combining them all, so it is advanced. It's somewhat of a reasonable price considering if you bought all of those seperately, they might cost more.

What kind of new inventions are you thinkin of?

That's the problem; we're not thinking with the same inventive spirit that led to the invention of so many things in the 20th century. I'm tired of all this communication technology. It's nice for a while, but ultimately makes everyone dumber. How about inventing a new way to heat or cool a house/apartment that doesn't cost so much? How about inventing a new way to track down and catch criminals before they flee the scene of the crime? There are endless amounts of inventions that could be thought of, it's just that nobody is thinking anymore.

That's the problem; we're not thinking with the same inventive spirit that led to the invention of so many things in the 20th century. I'm tired of all this communication technology. It's nice for a while, but ultimately makes everyone dumber. How about inventing a new way to heat or cool a house/apartment that doesn't cost so much? How about inventing a new way to track down and catch criminals before they flee the scene of the crime? There are endless amounts of inventions that could be thought of, it's just that nobody is thinking anymore.

I'm sure that stuff is being thought of. Hmmm, reasons of why we don't know about them?...not ready or just not being implemented yet?...companies/government agencies are scared to use them?

Plus, iphones and things like that are just so mainstream and entertaining, which is what we expect everything to be in America these days. Ha, not that crime and cooling/heating isn't "mainstream." But you get what I mean.

Plus...There's probably just more money in these things and people are focused on making money.

They've already come out with such technology, it is called Solar Panelling. How about the tankless waterheater for the home, that hasn't been around for too long, and is awesome. I would think that cell phones and people's use of them help police catch bad guys all the time. "BEFORE, they flee the scene of the crime ?" good luck on that one, that is why they have surveillance cameras. I have a couple of nice guns that might help a criminal not be able to flee the scene of the crime before the police arrive.

This phone is nice, but keep in mind that it they haven't shown us what the text entry mechanism looks like. The reason Blackberry's and Treo's seel their brains out is the exterior thumb keyboards. Also, there are many people who want a phone that can fit in their pocket like me, I want nothing bigger than a flip phone. That's why I bought a Motorola A1200 (Ming) recently.

Anyhow, if they can somehow win the Blackberry, Treo, flip phone people, they'll definitly have a paradigm shift in the making. That is if we can all stand a marriage to iTunes for eternity.

I read that text entry is suboptimal, but I don't think they are exactly trying to compete with Blackberry etc. The primary functionality is phone + camera + ipod. A lot of people don't text a lot, but they do have ipods and phones. Apple is trying to carve out a somewhat different new niche here I believe.

I read that text entry is suboptimal, but I don't think they are exactly trying to compete with Blackberry etc. The primary functionality is phone + camera + ipod. A lot of people don't text a lot, but they do have ipods and phones. Apple is trying to carve out a somewhat different new niche here I believe.

I have no facts to back this up, but it just seems like the type of people who have an ipod and would also buy this phone would most likely be the type who also text. This is just an experiential opinion. Seems like more people, young and old are picking up on texting.

They've already come out with such technology, it is called Solar Panelling. How about the tankless waterheater for the home, that hasn't been around for too long, and is awesome. I would think that cell phones and people's use of them help police catch bad guys all the time. "BEFORE, they flee the scene of the crime ?" good luck on that one, that is why they have surveillance cameras. I have a couple of nice guns that might help a criminal not be able to flee the scene of the crime before the police arrive.

You get the idea. My point was that we're not thinking of solutions to problems anymore. We're just going out and buying stuff all the time; whatever the corporations put out, we buy it. I own a cell phone, but it's like 6 years old, and my computer is about 4 years old. I don't buy into the consumerism of all these products which are really unnecessary. God gave us a nifty gadget much cooler than the iPhone for free. It's called a brain.

You get the idea. My point was that we're not thinking of solutions to problems anymore. We're just going out and buying stuff all the time; whatever the corporations put out, we buy it. I own a cell phone, but it's like 6 years old, and my computer is about 4 years old. I don't buy into the consumerism of all these products which are really unnecessary. God gave us a nifty gadget much cooler than the iPhone for free. It's called a brain.

I'm interested to hear further explanation about your signature. Seems like that idea is coming out in these posts.

I have a blackjack, that I really like, this looks like a very big step up from it. The Black has all the same functions except for the touch screen. I only paid $199 for the blackjack though, so I guess you get the extra bells and whistles for the extra cabbage. Only 4 gig chip in the BJ, but it does all I need, POP3 email, Internet, MP3, and oh yeah, it also makes phone calls. The BJ isn't much bigger than my V3i was.

According to Engadget, the iPhone features are:

1. 3.5-inch 480x320 touchscreen
  2. 4Gb or 8Gb of storage
  3. Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR and A2DP
  4. WiFi (with automatic engagement if it detects a WiFi signal in the area)
  5. Quad-Band GSM with EDGE (no 3G)
  6. It runs a specialized OS X version
  7. Has Safari as the web browser (full web browser)
  8. Google Maps and iTunes (of course)
  9. POP3 and IMAP support with a special IMAP push with Yahoo sponsorship

What it lacks (at least from the article and other sources):

1. 3G - it's not a real 3G phone
  2. No card extensions. You get your 4Gb or 8Gb (depending on the version you buy) and that's it
  3. No battery replacement (seems like its going the iPod road on this one)

It has a unique patented finger-gesture system, so you don't need a stylus pen to activate it. For example, to unlock it you place your finger on a button and swipe it. Really cool.

It will be available in the US exclusively through Cingular for a two years contract for $499 (the 4Gb version) or $599 for the 8Gb version.

Oh and it will only start to ship around June...

It's not 3G! Well forget it, I'm not buying it now.

I expect there will be a 3G version by the end of the year -- that's when the European version is due out. Considering the rapid spread of 3G cell sites in Europe they're not going to put out a non-3G phone there.

And it's stupid for American publications like Engadget to complain about it not being a 3G phone, considering THERE IS CURRENTLY NO 3G SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES. T-Mobile has been doing some tests in Brooklyn and Seattle and a couple of other places, but there's no true 3G carrier right now. What would be the point of releasing a 3G phone into a non-3G country? Heck, even most of Europe isn't 3G yet.

GSM_EuropePoster2006A2_med.png

3G coverage is denoted in orange. Regular GSM in green. As you can see, 3G still has a long way to go in Europe.

GSM_AmericasPoster2005A_med.png

Once again, 3G coverage is in orange. You'll not THERE IS NO ORANGE in the Western Hemisphere.

GSM_AsiaPacPoster2006A_med.png

Even Asia, which Americans like to pretend is so far ahead technologically, is barely 3G territory. Singapore, and about 40% of Japan -- that's it.

I have a 3G phone. And I've used its 3G features when I've traveled. But 3G coverage is still very spotty. Anyone who says otherwise lives in Singapore or is trying to play a game of geekier-than-thou.

I don't think it's been around long enough for anyone to determine if the text entry system works or not yet. Only a handful of people have even touched the thing and all have raved about it.

The text entry system is part of a technology developed by another company that Apple bought a few years ago. it's able to sense degrees of pressure on a screen and through software figure out if you're trying to press a button or if you're just brushing against it. People who used the technology before the company got bought by Apple said it was fantastic and worked really well. We saw in the keynote address that texting on the iPhone seems to work very well and was pretty quick. But I think it will all come down to what you're used to. it took a while for me to adjust from my old T9 to a the rocker switch keyboard my phone has now. With my big fingers I cringe at the thought of typing on a Blackberry. I hope the iPhone is better than all of them for input. But I guess typing is believing.

Two thoughts. Wonder if they will release a 3rd model that forgoes the 'phone' capabilities but still retains the device status such as browser, iPod and Video iPod features?

Also, since Apple Computer is now, officially, Apple, Inc. I wonder how long it will be until they develop ... a ... gaming console. Seems since they are intent on creating these compelling devices, that can't be far off right?

Apple had a game machine called Pippin back in the day. Failed miserably.

I think Apple's intent with the dropping of "Computer" is to emphasize that it no longer sees "comptuers" in the traditional sense. People have predicted for a long time that eventually computers will disappear -- that as technology advances computers will blend into our surroundings and become unobtrusive tools instead of the focus of our work. I think this is what Apple sees of the future and is trying to get on board before the other big companies. Look at what they did with the iPod -- it is essentially a music playing computer. But they turned it into something small enough to be a fashion accessory. I think it's part of the whole evolution of the computer into an information appliance and eventually blending into the background. Think about Star Trek. How many people spent their time in front of a computer? Five or six on the bridge, and that's about it. When they needed something, the information was just there -- in the form of tri-corders, electronic writing tablets, or little scanning devices. There are no rows and rows of data entry clerks in cubicles in Star Trek. Information is ubiquitous and available, and the computer help us do things without comptuers -- to lead real lives instead of being chained to a desk. I think Apple sees this and wants to sell a better tri-corder.. a better electronic tablet.. and maybe some day before I die I can sit in my living room looking at the fire place and say "Computer, show me some old funny posts from HAIF" and a little glowing Apple logo above the mantle will start reading things to me that TJones said in 2007.

I expect there will be a 3G version by the end of the year -- that's when the European version is due out. Considering the rapid spread of 3G cell sites in Europe they're not going to put out a non-3G phone there.

And it's stupid for American publications like Engadget to complain about it not being a 3G phone, considering THERE IS CURRENTLY NO 3G SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES. T-Mobile has been doing some tests in Brooklyn and Seattle and a couple of other places, but there's no true 3G carrier right now. What would be the point of releasing a 3G phone into a non-3G country? Heck, even most of Europe isn't 3G yet.

GSM_EuropePoster2006A2_med.png

3G coverage is denoted in orange. Regular GSM in green. As you can see, 3G still has a long way to go in Europe.

GSM_AmericasPoster2005A_med.png

Once again, 3G coverage is in orange. You'll not THERE IS NO ORANGE in the Western Hemisphere.

GSM_AsiaPacPoster2006A_med.png

Even Asia, which Americans like to pretend is so far ahead technologically, is barely 3G territory. Singapore, and about 40% of Japan -- that's it.

I have a 3G phone. And I've used its 3G features when I've traveled. But 3G coverage is still very spotty. Anyone who says otherwise lives in Singapore or is trying to play a game of geekier-than-thou.

I don't think it's been around long enough for anyone to determine if the text entry system works or not yet. Only a handful of people have even touched the thing and all have raved about it.

The text entry system is part of a technology developed by another company that Apple bought a few years ago. it's able to sense degrees of pressure on a screen and through software figure out if you're trying to press a button or if you're just brushing against it. People who used the technology before the company got bought by Apple said it was fantastic and worked really well. We saw in the keynote address that texting on the iPhone seems to work very well and was pretty quick. But I think it will all come down to what you're used to. it took a while for me to adjust from my old T9 to a the rocker switch keyboard my phone has now. With my big fingers I cringe at the thought of typing on a Blackberry. I hope the iPhone is better than all of them for input. But I guess typing is believing.

http://www.forbes.com/prnewswire/feeds/prn..._CL_CLW085.html

http://www.slashphone.com/11/6142.html

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=2971

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/PR-CO...l?mod=wsjcrmain

I don't know, maybe it's all smoke and mirrors, but I had a 3G icon lit on my phone yesterday in the Woodlands, it's the only time CingularTV works on my blackjack, so I watched a little streaming video while sitting at the Cheesecake Factory. First time I had noticed it down here. I get a good 3G icon in Dallas, beats me. Suposedly they will have 3G coverage throughout their EDGE coverage areas by the end of 2007.

http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=...s&item=1804

http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

It could be that they're rolling it out bit by bit and not really announcing it until they have enough coverage so they can advertise it.

Would not be surprised if they suddenly announce it late in the year, afterall, networks don't just "pop up" and go online when an advertising blitz starts.

I finally got around to watching the introduction of the iPhone. Steve Jobs (Apple grand pooh-bah) says at the beginning that they're going to put out a 3G version.

You can watch it online here: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

Maybe that's what I should be waiting for -- with a full 3G version they might not have to do the network trickery necessary right now to get the Visual Voicemail feature working, so it might work on other networks.

When the iPhone was just a rumor, moderately reliable sources said it was going to be Cingular-only for only the first six months. Those people are sticking to that story. Let's hope they're right.

Well, Apple would be nuts to just be exclusive to Cingular (now AT&T - again). People just won't change providers just because there is a neat phone out there.

I believe people are getting savvy enough where they will go ahead and purchase an unlocked phone and use it on THEIR carriers.

I don't know, maybe it's all smoke and mirrors, but I had a 3G icon lit on my phone yesterday in the Woodlands, it's the only time CingularTV works on my blackjack, so I watched a little streaming video while sitting at the Cheesecake Factory. First time I had noticed it down here. I get a good 3G icon in Dallas, beats me. Suposedly they will have 3G coverage throughout their EDGE coverage areas by the end of 2007.
I wonder if what you're seeing is actually GSM+EDGE (so-called 2.5G), which is what the iPhone is. EDGE another word for EGPRS, which is another flavor of 2G GSM.

Here's how Wikipedia describes EDGE+GSM/2.5G:

2.5G is a stepping stone between 2G and 3G cellular wireless technologies. The term "second and a half generation" is used to describe 2G-systems that have implemented a packet switched domain in addition to the circuit switched domain. It does not necessarily provide faster services because bundling of timeslots is used for circuit switched data services (HSCSD) as well.

While the terms "2G" and "3G" are officially defined, "2.5G" is not. It was invented for marketing purposes only.

2.5G provides some of the benefits of 3G (e.g. it is packet-switched) and can use some of the existing 2G infrastructure in GSM and CDMA networks. GPRS is a 2.5G technology used by GSM operators. Some protocols, such as EDGE for GSM and CDMA2000 1x-RTT for CDMA, can qualify as "3G" services (because they have a data rate of above 144 kbit/s), but are considered by most to be 2.5G services (or 2.75G which sounds even more sophisticated) because they are several times slower than "true" 3G services.

Real 3G isn't GSM at all -- it's a whole new group of standards. My wife's Nokia 6111 is both a 2G and a 3G device because it does GSM and it does UMTS. My phone is 2G (GSM), 2.5G (GPRS), and a 3G phone (HSDPA.)

Again, to quoth the wiki:

1G

NMT

AMPS/TACS/ETACS

Hicap

CDPD

Mobitex

DataTac

2G

GSM

iDEN

D-AMPS

IS-95/cdmaOne

PDC

CSD

PHS

GPRS

HSCSD

WiDEN

CDMA2000 1xRTT/IS-2000

EDGE (EGPRS)

3G

W-CDMA

UMTS (3GSM)

FOMA

TD-CDMA/UMTS-TDD

1xEV-DO/IS-856

TD-SCDMA

GAN/UMA

HSDPA

HSUPA

HSOPA

4G

UMB

Is this the "Blackjack" that Cingular is always talking about?

samsung-i600.gif

If it is, it's a great phone (real name Samsung i600). I just looked up the details at GSM Arena, and it's really capable.

In addition to being EDGE, it's real G3 - HSDPA and everything. Very similar to my phone, except mine is Symbian and yours is Windows; and yours has WiFi while mine... um.. doesn't.

Is this the "Blackjack" that Cingular is always talking about?

samsung-i600.gif

If it is, it's a great phone (real name Samsung i600). I just looked up the details at GSM Arena, and it's really capable.

In addition to being EDGE, it's real G3 - HSDPA and everything. Very similar to my phone, except mine is Symbian and yours is Windows; and yours has WiFi while mine... um.. doesn't.

That's it Wayne, I love it, it's light weight and not bulky. It actually looks dinky in this pic but I have big hands. (size 17 wedding band) anyway I dig the phone.

DSC00027.jpg

My cheap Trac Phone Nokia 1100 uses Verizon, Cingular ,T Mobil and others. It say's in the booklet that it goes with the strongest signal. but i can't make international calls :(

Archived