Apple iPhone

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great, and I am amazed hope fast the Wikipedia entry filled up.

A 3.5" Screen, can't wait for the next iPod!

Definately will put all those Blackberry, Blackjack, RAZR, KRZR, PBLE, Chocolate. . .and whatever else back a few years.

I am amazed at the simplicity and the functionality this device packs in such a compact package.

The website is very informative with the demo's and the Keynote from CNN.com was too cool.

Engadget just said, "The Game Has Changed."

I don't know about the memory, but the iPod will have up to 8 gb. After years of lugging around a phone and an ipod, it will be great to have both in one. I'm lucky my Verizon contract runs out soon. I can go month-to-month until June then switch back to Cingular. I was going to switch any way because you can use Cingular internationally, and it was time for a new ipod anyway, so this is perfect. :D

Engadget just said, "The Game Has Changed."

I don't know about the memory, but the iPod will have up to 8 gb. After years of lugging around a phone and an ipod, it will be great to have both in one. I'm lucky my Verizon contract runs out soon. I can go month-to-month until June then switch back to Cingular. I was going to switch any way because you can use Cingular internationally, and it was time for a new ipod anyway, so this is perfect. :D

Anyone have Cingular? I just get the feeling it's not that great. Can anyone tell me different?

They used to be awful, but from what I've read they have improved over the past couple years in network quality and customer service. The network was poor for several years as they switched to 3G.

Hmm, alright then.

Say, how much is this iphone going for anyway? Like $500? And has it actually gone on the market?

I guess it depends. I've had my current phone four years, and it's fine. My ipod is about three years old, and the battery is starting to wear, but it works well too. I think most people tend to switch phones a lot more frequently however. Getting this would probably still be cheaper than getting both a new phone and ipod. Plus they will no doubt have a discount on the hardware in exchange for signing a contract.

The iPhone has 3 sensors.

It has a proximity sensors, when the iPhone is brought to one's ear, the display shuts off and the touchscreen shuts down. This is to save battery and to stop the features being accidentally activated by the user's ear. There is also an ambient light sensor, which adjusts brightness and saves power. The third sensor is an accelerometer, which senses the orientation of the phone and changes the screen accordingly.

It looks absolutely beautiful.

I've been a Cingular customer ever since they took over Houston Cellular.. the occasional problems I had were due to the bottom of the line phones i owned.. not the service. service is great with Slvr.

I guess it depends. I've had my current phone four years, and it's fine. My ipod is about three years old, and the battery is starting to wear, but it works well too. I think most people tend to switch phones a lot more frequently however. Getting this would probably still be cheaper than getting both a new phone and ipod. Plus they will no doubt have a discount on the hardware in exchange for signing a contract.

How much are battery replacments for ipods? This wouldn't really be the greatest purchase for me anyway. I just bought a 2 Gb nano and that's plenty of space for me. You must be a music guy, huh?

The iPhone has 3 sensors.

It has a proximity sensors, when the iPhone is brought to one's ear, the display shuts off and the touchscreen shuts down. This is to save battery and to stop the features being accidentally activated by the user's ear. There is also an ambient light sensor, which adjusts brightness and saves power. The third sensor is an accelerometer, which senses the orientation of the phone and changes the screen accordingly.

It looks absolutely beautiful.

I've been a Cingular customer ever since they took over Houston Cellular.. the occasional problems I had were due to the bottom of the line phones i owned.. not the service. service is great with Slvr.

I saw a pretty sweet device on ABC's morning show the other day. It looked like a blue-tooth type device but it touched your cheek. Since it touches your skin, it senses the vibrations when you talk. So if you're in a loud area, the device only senses the vibrations from your jawbone and the person you're talking to will only hear your voice and it will drown out the outside noise. Cool, huh?

It ships in June. I belive the 8 gig is like $599, and the 6 gig maybe $499.

And remember, not to hijack the topic, those are the same price points of the PS3 that people groaned about! :lol:

$500 for 4gigs, good luck, might as well spend the other $100 for the 8gigs. I wouldn't spend a plug nickel for either though, that is outrageous.

Nevermind, we have one groaner, but it does defeat the purpose of having (2) versions huh, it almost seems like a person would be considered cheap simply buying the $499 one, and not upgrading for the 8 gigabyte one.

And remember, not to hijack the topic, those are the same price points of the PS3 that people groaned about! :lol:

Of course they're two totally different devices. With the exception that I'm sure this phone will play movies. At least it's not just for entertainment, you can take it wherever and you don't have to buy a new one every couple years just because they came out with a newer one.

Nevermind, we have one groaner, but it does defeat the purpose of having (2) versions huh, it almost seems like a person would be considered cheap simply buying the $499 one, and not upgrading for the 8 gigabyte one.

Maybe to some people it's not that much, but let's remember $100 is not ten or twenty dollars, it's a Benji. At this point in my life, I think I can settle not putting another couple hundred songs on my ipod and saving a bone.

Maybe to some people it's not that much, but let's remember $100 is not ten or twenty dollars, it's a Benji. At this point in my life, I think I can settle not putting another couple hundred songs on my ipod and saving a bone.

Yep, make sure to save that $100 to buy some snazzy carrying cases to hold it while you are watching movies in the back of the class.

Yeah, makes me want to get a cell phone just for that device. Plus it plays videos and iTunes music so it really could be an all in one device. Oh yeah ... and it runs OS X!!!

Sweet.

I've always found their skyline kinda plain. But they have a sweet baseball stadium!

Oh yeah, and they have a rail system.

$500 for 4gigs, good luck, might as well spend the other $100 for the 8gigs. I wouldn't spend a plug nickel for either though, that is outrageous.

Thats the same price that Cingular charges for some of their top-end "smart phones" right now (the Cingular 8525 is $550 before contract discounts) so I dont think it is an unreasonable price at all with everything it does....can't wait to get one...

I would buy it. I'd even switch to Cingular for it. But not if I have to have a two-year contract.

I'll wait a year for them to appear unlocked in Asia and Europe and buy one there so I don't have to be tethered to a cell phone company.

I would buy it. I'd even switch to Cingular for it. But not if I have to have a two-year contract.

I'll wait a year for them to appear unlocked in Asia and Europe and buy one there so I don't have to be tethered to a cell phone company.

I hear people talk about "unlocked" phones....and being able to use a "Cingular" phone (in this case) with other providers.....can you explain what that means....

Wouldn't Cingular offer services for this phone that other providers wouldn't offer or are the services the same and the phone differences are what matters?

Thanks for some enlightenment !!

Two thoughts. Wonder if they will release a 3rd model that forgoes the 'phone' capabilities but still retains the device status such as browser, iPod and Video iPod features?

Also, since Apple Computer is now, officially, Apple, Inc. I wonder how long it will be until they develop ... a ... gaming console. Seems since they are intent on creating these compelling devices, that can't be far off right?

This phone is nice, but keep in mind that it they haven't shown us what the text entry mechanism looks like. The reason Blackberry's and Treo's seel their brains out is the exterior thumb keyboards. Also, there are many people who want a phone that can fit in their pocket like me, I want nothing bigger than a flip phone. That's why I bought a Motorola A1200 (Ming) recently.

Anyhow, if they can somehow win the Blackberry, Treo, flip phone people, they'll definitly have a paradigm shift in the making. That is if we can all stand a marriage to iTunes for eternity.

This phone is nice, but keep in mind that it they haven't shown us what the text entry mechanism looks like. The reason Blackberry's and Treo's seel their brains out is the exterior thumb keyboards. Also, there are many people who want a phone that can fit in their pocket like me, I want nothing bigger than a flip phone. That's why I bought a Motorola A1200 (Ming) recently.

Anyhow, if they can somehow win the Blackberry, Treo, flip phone people, they'll definitly have a paradigm shift in the making. That is if we can all stand a marriage to iTunes for eternity.

While texting is an important function, I don't use it as many as my friends do so it isn't that big of a deal for me. I've had some minor issues with my KG800 it's not that big of a deal. The interesting thing is that I now own about 4 phones and switch between them depending on where I'm going or what kind of weather is out there. :)

OH GOD! I'm treating a phone as an accessory!

Archived