Aldine Mustangs Football History

Firebird65

The Aldine Mustangs have built a strong gridiron tradition on Houston's north side. From their humble beginnings as a winless Conference B team in 1936 to their state and national football titles in 1990 to their return to the playoffs in 2006, you can now follow the team from their first games to today.

As an Aldine High graduate, I've always wondered about the proud Mustang teams of the past and wanted to learn their story. I looked through books, searched the internet, contacted the school and the district, but couldn't find anything. Apparently, no one's ever done a history of the team. So I wrote one myself.

For the past year, I've researched the team's games and district standings going all the way back. I've put together a pretty definitive, one-of-a-kind history of the team as well as some interesting background on the Aldine High area. Now that I've finished, I'd love to share it with anyone interested and get a thread going here about the Ponies.

You'll follow all the great Aldine players of the past: from Wendell and Sam Cornwell in the 1940s to Don Burrisk in the 1960s to Darcy Davis and Derrick Johnson in the 1980s to Eric and Bobby Gray in the 1990s to Darnell Sims and Terrance Anderson of the current decade. You'll get J.D. Rogers' five TD game, Doug Womack's 300 yards rushing playoff game and the Mustangs' state record 65-53 barnburner of a win over Forest Brook.

Yes, the Mustangs have lined up some great teams between the hashmarks, be it at W.W. Thorne Stadium, Aldine Athletic Stadium (now William "Bill" Smith Stadium) and even something called Dads Club Field.

If you would like a pdf, PM me or send your request to aldinefootball@sbcglobal.net. There's no charge. It's free for the asking.

I have two versions available. The comprehensive version contains the scores and standings from 1936 to 2006, as well as the area history timeline. It's a large file (6.5 MB), so if you're on dialup and want this, you might want to consider using a file-sharing service such as yousendit.com.

There's also a 1 MB football-only version for those strictly interested in pigskin.

Either of these are gratis and I'm only too happy to share the fruits of my research with anyone else who, like me, grew up rooting for the Aldine Mustangs. Then once you've read it, let's start a discussion here about the proud Pony heritage.

Very nicely done! I lived in Northline Terrace for almost forty years and have been an Aldine Mustang fan since '59. This was almost too good to be true. I enjoyed the total package. Great work and thanks a million.

Thanks!

Funny thing... I had gotten so used to communicating to you via e-mail, I had almost forgotten your user name here. I kept thinking, "I haven't sent a copy to anyone named youbetcha." Then it hit me. LOL!

Archived