Tyler, Texas

Boris

I lived in Tyler, 1980-1984, then went back in 1988 for 1 more year, before coming back home to Houston.

Those pics of downtown is all there is. Yes, those are the only two towers. During the 80's there was a phase of bringing business back to downtown. I have a good friend open a bar (actually called it Westside - Like Dallas) which did well for a few years. There was a coffee house that had live entertainment on weekends and a few other shops...but I think that is all gone now.

The happening side of Tyler is Southside, on Broadway at the Loop. No, this is NOT an interstate, just a road that goes all the way around town. South of the Loop on Broadway really grew during the 90's. They have most of the common restaurants nothing like that in the 80's.

At the time, I thought Tyler would be a great place to raise a family, but the longer I stayed the more I realized how "clickish" it is. There is a lot of OLD money in Tyler and either you are "in the crowd" or not. I guess I is was "in" the first time I lived there (or at least on the edges of being in), but after I was gone for 4 years and came back, all of my friends had married and moved away.

There are some very charming parts of town. Many still have brick streets. Beautiful Azalya District. Very nice Zoo.

Thanks for the pics. I grew up there and got married in that church. Can you believe they tore down this courthouse to build the present one? The "new" one is horrid.

tylercourthouse.jpg

Yeah, I would definitely say they took a step backwards with the design of that new courthouse...but maybe the new courthouse has a much more grandiose interior <_< . When did they tear down the old one and build the new one?

Yeah, I would definitely say they took a step backwards with the design of that new courthouse...but maybe the new courthouse has a much more grandiose interior <_< . When did they tear down the old one and build the new one?

1955. The older one was built in 1910. The newer one is definitely not grandiose. I've been there for jury duty and it smells. :wacko:

They did the same thing with the Nacogdoches Co. courthouse....lovely old building, torn down to build an icky looking terrible low slung thing.

I lived in Tyler, 1980-1984, then went back in 1988 for 1 more year, before coming back home to Houston.

Those pics of downtown is all there is. Yes, those are the only two towers. During the 80's there was a phase of bringing business back to downtown. I have a good friend open a bar (actually called it Westside - Like Dallas) which did well for a few years. There was a coffee house that had live entertainment on weekends and a few other shops...but I think that is all gone now.

The happening side of Tyler is Southside, on Broadway at the Loop. No, this is NOT an interstate, just a road that goes all the way around town. South of the Loop on Broadway really grew during the 90's. They have most of the common restaurants nothing like that in the 80's.

At the time, I thought Tyler would be a great place to raise a family, but the longer I stayed the more I realized how "clickish" it is. There is a lot of OLD money in Tyler and either you are "in the crowd" or not. I guess I is was "in" the first time I lived there (or at least on the edges of being in), but after I was gone for 4 years and came back, all of my friends had married and moved away.

There are some very charming parts of town. Many still have brick streets. Beautiful Azalya District. Very nice Zoo.

Well, I've never been there and had no idea what it'd be like. I'm actually surprised by those two. They look pretty tall.

1955. The older one was built in 1910. The newer one is definitely not grandiose. I've been there for jury duty and it smells. :wacko:

Thanks for the info...I figured the new one was built around the 60's based on the architecture, and I'm sure it smells just like it looks.

They did the same thing with the Nacogdoches Co. courthouse....lovely old building, torn down to build an icky looking terrible low slung thing.

Thats too bad. It's a shame that so many architectural gems get the axe just to be replaced by some bland building.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Since there's no Tyler specific development thread, I thought it might be worth placing this here - good news for some downtown properties!

https://www.kltv.com/2023/03/17/4-properties-downtown-tyler-set-renovation/

"TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - A New Orleans based company has purchased four downtown Tyler buildings with plans to rework them into upscale apartments and office space. They have secured building permits for the first project.

Work has begun at the Wilcox Building at 230 South Broadway. NORF Companies Managing Director Cullan Maumus said they specialize in tax-advantage strategies in the southeastern U.S.

“Quickly in our research, we identified Tyler and moved quickly to try to acquire a couple projects within the city,” Maumus said.

NORF purchased four buildings in downtown Tyler.

“So, we acquired the former Carlton Hotel at 106 East Elm Street. We acquired across the street from there, the historic Lindsey and Fair buildings. And, down the street we acquired the Wilcox building at 230 South Broadway,” Maumus said."

6268b4594686e.image.jpg?resize=445,500

Lindsey & Fair Buildings

th-1489583945230-s-broadway.png

Wilcox Building

59ef830911695.image.jpg

Carlton Hotel