Why Does Houston's Amtrak Station Look So Bad?

citykid09

• 2 weeks later...

>>The ironic thing is they used a symbol of a train for a city that has basically abandoned the train except for the new light rail (a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned).If this was a city that embraced their history of rail transit (like San Francisco) I could see the train logo, but for Houston they should have a car or highway on the logo. Or maybe in the next 10 years some shiny new light rail train logo!

Hmm, Houston hasn't abandoned the train at all. The train on the logo was (likely) representative of the part trains played in developing Houston commercially. Even in the heyday of passenger rail (pre 1950s), the number of trains calling at Houston - via the various railroads - was minor league compared to cities like St. Louis, Memphis, K.C., Minneapolis

So Amtrak may not be a component of the intermodal? It would make sense but I guess the additonal investment would be hard to get given the ridership?

I would love to have an ACELA style setup here between HOU-DAL-AUS-SA..but given the emphasis on huge highways and the automobile in Tex.. I don't see it happening, although I did hear a possible rail component in Rick Perry's transcorridor plan..

So Amtrak may not be a component of the intermodal? It would make sense but I guess the additonal investment would be hard to get given the ridership?

I would love to have an ACELA style setup here between HOU-DAL-AUS-SA..but given the emphasis on huge highways and the automobile in Tex.. I don't see it happening, although I did hear a possible rail component in Rick Perry's transcorridor plan..

A Texas Super train idea crops up about every 10-15 years. Back in the 80's the talk was to put one in that would link Houston Dallas and San Antonio. Folk trot out all these studies and plans, make press conferences and make allot of noise. Then they go away and are never heard from again.

I don't think it will ever happen. Texas like to drive their cars. Hell, they wouldn't even put a train in to Katy when they planned the I-10 expansion.

• 7 months later...
The ironic thing is they used a symbol of a train for a city that has basically abandoned the train except for the new light rail (a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned).If this was a city that embraced their history of rail transit (like San Francisco) I could see the train logo, but for Houston they should have a car or highway on the logo. Or maybe in the next 10 years some shiny new light rail train logo! :)

Houston is one of the busiest freight railroad systems in the USA with the port and the petro complex...Houston has 3 of the 5 major US railroads calling here UP, BNSF, and KCS as well as one of the largest switching railroads in the USA the PTRA which moves cars between the various railroads in the Houston area

Houston is one of the busiest freight railroad systems in the USA with the port and the petro complex...Houston has 3 of the 5 major US railroads calling here UP, BNSF, and KCS as well as one of the largest switching railroads in the USA the PTRA which moves cars between the various railroads in the Houston area

Freight rail statistics (looks like they're from 2002, though)

(in tons)

Chicago: 223,837,000

Houston: 84,375,000

Los Angeles: 82,013,000

Detroit: 37,793,000

Dallas: 33,454,000

Baltimore: 8,537,000

And here's a pretty graphic:

Rail Commodity Flows To and From Houston, 2003

figurec_3.gif

I'm not sure why the DOT picked those cities for the report. It leaves out some fairly obvious choices like New York.

I believe very little freight tonnage actually moves into New York proper anymore most of the tracks are now passenger tracks and the ports are mainly New Jersey for shipping freight and rail freight

I believe the Long Island Railroad is one of the few or perhaps the only that carries freight into the city now and even then it has to do so at night to make way for commuter rail