Memories Of East End

Vertigo58

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone rememeber the NAME?

of the apartments on the corner of Telephone Road/Dismuke and Gulf Frwy. across from the church and next to Steak & Egg restaurant. The apts are two stories high and have been under remodel for an eternity it seems?

There must be some kind of snafu that has hampered their efforts to finish the job. I knew a couple of kids in junior high (mid-70's) that lived there, but that was when there were restrictions like only singles, couples w/maybe one child were allowed to live there. Around the 80's they became quite rundown and were closed for a number of years. This renovation started about 3 years ago and just came to a complete halt? I am sure the community is a bit leery as it could become another low rent dump. My dream would be a home for local University of Houston students there! Yes! It would be a perfect local for them. I prefer to see folks with some ambition move in even if its just temporary. No more 2 families to a tiny apt like down mid-Dismuke street. If the owner was smart he would advertise at the U of H and charge a substantial rate nothing too outragious but to keep the tenants in line.

I think they were called Dorchester House??? Come one East Enders!!! :D

I'm still curious to remember the name of the Deli on Lawndale. Was run by an Italian family. It was one of the handful of actual deli's in Houston.

Glad you could solve the Christmas store mystery.

If there was an Italian Deli on Lawndale it was way before my time. The only deli close to that description I know of is Mandola's over by Cullen & Mckinney? or is it Polk? across from the old Rainbow factory. Still open to this day! just a block over was Ballatori's Italian Restaurant. It was considered upscale for many, many years. They had a great collection of antique model-T cars in the drive. People used to really dress up just to go eat there. Perfect for marriage proposals, etc. I recall a big stir by The Eastwood Civic Association as they were saddened to announce the closing. Mandola's has blossomed since then as we know. Maybe it's Lorino's your thinking of but it was a bar at Telephone & Lawndale. That family ruled our area as far as business were concerned. Mrs Lorino lived a block from us and she owned at least 3 houses on that block alone. She finally moved or hopefully not passed away about 2 years ago.

Mandola's has only been at its current location since the early eighties I think. They actually moved from farther out to the location they are at now. Prior to that they were located at the corner of Belfort and Broadway in a shopping center there. They were in between a Walgreens and the old Eagle Market food store. Joe Mandola who owns the place actually lives in Pearland. He made the decision to move to the current location because his business was more suited to the lunch crowd and his business improved when he moved because it was a much better area for lunch business. I used to eat there all the time when it was on Broadway an I was in college because my girlfriend, now wife lived near there. Then when they moved and I started working downtown I would go to the current location for lunch all the time.

Does anyone rememeber the NAME?

of the apartments on the corner of Telephone Road/Dismuke and Gulf Frwy. across from the church and next to Steak & Egg restaurant. The apts are two stories high and have been under remodel for an eternity it seems?

There must be some kind of snafu that has hampered their efforts to finish the job. I knew a couple of kids in junior high (mid-70's) that lived there, but that was when there were restrictions like only singles, couples w/maybe one child were allowed to live there. Around the 80's they became quite rundown and were closed for a number of years. This renovation started about 3 years ago and just came to a complete halt? I am sure the community is a bit leery as it could become another low rent dump. My dream would be a home for local University of Houston students there! Yes! It would be a perfect local for them. I prefer to see folks with some ambition move in even if its just temporary. No more 2 families to a tiny apt like down mid-Dismuke street. If the owner was smart he would advertise at the U of H and charge a substantial rate nothing too outragious but to keep the tenants in line.

I think they were called Dorchester House??? Come one East Enders!!! :D

Just solved my own mystery!

The apartments were called Harriet House Apartments as the name of the street they are on. :D

100 points for me!

They are across from Epworth Methodist Church. PS this church is where many of the East End Little League community meetings took place. A real focal point for our neighborhood in late 60's and early 70's.

Fun times!

Just solved my own mystery!

The apartments were called Harriet House Apartments as the name of the street they are on. :D

100 points for me!

They are across from Epworth Methodist Church. PS this church is where many of the East End Little League community meetings took place. A real focal point for our neighborhood in late 60's and early 70's.

Fun times!

Hello all; I'm a newbie here, and quite surprised to find this place. Was doing some random Google searches relating to a little "walk down memory lane" , entered Mustang Malt Shop and found this thread. I graduated from Austin HS in 1971. Went to Jackson JHS and Henderson Elementary; attended Epworth Methodist. I live in Corpus Christi now; don't know if I can contribute much to the discussion but reading your posts has brought back some great old memories.

• 3 weeks later...

O.K. everyone, "jog" that memory of 50s+! Vertigo challenge!

Front page of today's Chronicle [Thur 5/17/07] City & State Sec B has article on the death of Nicholas Chiapetta [1917-2007]. Article mentions that after serving in WWII, he opened a bar on Polk St. "out by Buffalo Stadium". It was a very popular watering hold for the East End. In 50s, he lost his lease on Polk St., when the adjoining auto garage took over his space. Undaunted, he moved his tavern to a new site next to a railroad crossing on Dumble. He named it Nick's Loungs. Chiapetta seemed to be a walking Rolodex of the East End. Interesting note says in later years it just wasn't the same as the rollicking crowds dwindled & mostly what was left was memories & silence. [Note by me: last sentence has a familiar ring to it. Also, hubby says he thinks his memory is correct in that the bar on Polk was "Buff's Bar" & outisde sign had huge baseball [& maybe glove & bats]. It actually faced Cullen & was across from the Kroger's on corner of Polk & Cullen. Buff stadium was at Cullen & I-45 [now Gulf fwy] Finger Furniture location.

O.K. everyone, "jog" that memory of 50s+! Vertigo challenge!

Front page of today's Chronicle [Thur 5/17/07] City & State Sec B has article on the death of Nicholas Chiapetta [1917-2007]. Article mentions that after serving in WWII, he opened a bar on Polk St. "out by Buffalo Stadium". It was a very popular watering hold for the East End. In 50s, he lost his lease on Polk St., when the adjoining auto garage took over his space. Undaunted, he moved his tavern to a new site next to a railroad crossing on Dumble. He named it Nick's Loungs. Chiapetta seemed to be a walking Rolodex of the East End. Interesting note says in later years it just wasn't the same as the rollicking crowds dwindled & mostly what was left was memories & silence. [Note by me: last sentence has a familiar ring to it. Also, hubby says he thinks his memory is correct in that the bar on Polk was "Buff's Bar" & outisde sign had huge baseball [& maybe glove & bats]. It actually faced Cullen & was across from the Kroger's on corner of Polk & Cullen. Buff stadium was at Cullen & I-45 [now Gulf fwy] Finger Furniture location.

That is fantastic! The building is still there only under another name. It makes complete sense too, that is having a bar just blocks away from the ballpark. Concept has been around forever it seems. Imagine is someone saved the sign? Some would kill for it. There must be a photo around somewhere? From what I understand this area is considered the most eastern edge of Eastwood District. Hope we see more articles like this. Thank you for adding! :D

Hello all; I'm a newbie here, and quite surprised to find this place. Was doing some random Google searches relating to a little "walk down memory lane" , entered Mustang Malt Shop and found this thread. I graduated from Austin HS in 1971. Went to Jackson JHS and Henderson Elementary; attended Epworth Methodist. I live in Corpus Christi now; don't know if I can contribute much to the discussion but reading your posts has brought back some great old memories.

Welcome!

And be sure to see topic Stonewall Jackson Jr High. I had spoke to a contact at HISD to try to find out how I could get my little hands on class photos from JP Henderson. He said they may be able to locate photographers that would come in to do the photo sessions at the time. If I recall he said that HISD never had "their own" photographers but had to hire or ask outside sources to do the job. However, how in the world would we know if they still exist? In those days photos were taken and it was up to the parents of each child if they wanted to purchase, correct? All I have are individual pics of me but I wanted to find a group photo of my old pals at Henderson circa 1968. Luckily my mom (with new Polaroid) snapped some of me and a best pal in the playground area as it was then. Boy do I look square (at least I thought) but now I think we look cool :lol: Funny I still can remember the kids faces & personalities just like yesterday. Whenever I see the old film "The Birds" it reminds me of what everyone looked like when I attended Henderson & Rufus Cage Elementaries. Fun, innocent days.

If anyone knows how to find old class pics from HISD or whatever please pass on, would be soooooo much appreciated! :D

That is fantastic! The building is still there only under another name. It makes complete sense too, that is having a bar just blocks away from the ballpark. Concept has been around forever it seems. Imagine is someone saved the sign? Some would kill for it. There must be a photo around somewhere? From what I understand this area is considered the most eastern edge of Eastwood District. Hope we see more articles like this. Thank you for adding! :D

The article mentions information given by Mrs. Marie Pettus & Mr. Perez [electronics repairman]. Imagine the EE history in thier memory bank. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this history could be documented! Also mentioned were trips to gambling places [after the bar closed] along the gulf coast. Sounds like they had quite a life!

I have a recipe book published by the PTA/PTO at Henderson Elem. I've wondered what to do with it. Can't put my fingers on it at present time, but would like for someone to have it who would appreciate it [when I find it]. If interested, let me know. I believe it may be from ca. that time frame. Many of the surnames are Houston's "movers & shakers".

i still miss the Tel-45 diner that eventually turned into Mr. Money. when i moved to the area in 1998, my roommate & i would go there at least 3-4 times a week, usually after midnight, get really cheap grilled cheese sandwiches & coffee, and play cards until 2 or 3 in the morning. nowadays, every time i pass mr money, i curse him (or the sign, anyway) for taking away my youth. and the french fries & gravy, too.

i still miss the Tel-45 diner that eventually turned into Mr. Money. when i moved to the area in 1998, my roommate & i would go there at least 3-4 times a week, usually after midnight, get really cheap grilled cheese sandwiches & coffee, and play cards until 2 or 3 in the morning. nowadays, every time i pass mr money, i curse him (or the sign, anyway) for taking away my youth. and the french fries & gravy, too.

It was called Steak & Egg corner 45S/Telephone Rd/Harriet street. That was our teen hangout. We pretty wore out the juke box. It was across from the old Coca-cola sign and Italian Beef House/bar. That small area was the heartbeat/entrance to near East End now just a funky pawn shop. :(

Hadn't checked this place in a while, but did go back and look for any old photos, etc that I have. Most of this went to my sister-in-law several years ago; she's the "keeper" for our family. All I've found are 2 Austin yearbooks, 1970-71, and a copy of the school newspaper "The Round-Up" dated Oct. 23, 1969; I made the front page :)).

Some stuff I hadn't thought about in years: Lanzo's Fine Foods, 1001 Telephone Road, maybe the deli brerrrabbit asked about? Young, The Jeweler listing Moses Anton as watch repairman; Milton Flower Shop on Dumble ( I bought a few mums from them); a photo of the Leonard's store on Telephone, Ray Hay's with the staff out front, and the old Jack- in-the-Box. I'll scan them in a post them if anyone wants. Also several ads for photographers for senior pics, including Howard Ruthven, who was on the Austin faculty.

OldHouseLover, I wouldn't know what to do with the cookbook, but I appreciate the offer. Have you asked the Houston Public library if they want it; I think they have a section for local history.

Vertigo, I had some class photos but they would have been several years before you; last one in 1964(?). What I DO have are videos of several Henderson May Fetes that my father shot on 8mm and I had transferred over to DVD a while back. The quality is not good, but maybe I can post them, too, if I can figure out how.

I also have a few questions about old places in the area, if anyone can remember. One is a little toy store a block or two south of Henderson on Dismuke. It was never busy, but I used to stop in there occasionally and buy some candy; I think the lady that ran it may have been German. The other is about an ice skating rink somewhere on Telephone, maybe out towards Winkler?

And one piece of trivia. My father graduated from UH after WW 2 and got a job as an inspector for the Texas Highway Dept., now TexDOT. His first important job was the original construction of the Gulf Freeway where it begins south of downtown. The contractor, Brown&Rooot had used substandard concrete, and his report resulted in them having to tear it up and start over. Used to have a Houston Post article about this, but it's been lost. Would appreciate it if anyone could find a reference to it.

One other thing; I'd love to have a good picture of the old stone stage in Hermann Park. Went here for a lot of July 4 celebrations, etc..

Roy

Hadn't checked this place in a while, but did go back and look for any old photos, etc that I have. Most of this went to my sister-in-law several years ago; she's the "keeper" for our family. All I've found are 2 Austin yearbooks, 1970-71, and a copy of the school newspaper "The Round-Up" dated Oct. 23, 1969; I made the front page :) ).

Some stuff I hadn't thought about in years: Lanzo's Fine Foods, 1001 Telephone Road, maybe the deli brerrrabbit asked about? Young, The Jeweler listing Moses Anton as watch repairman; Milton Flower Shop on Dumble ( I bought a few mums from them); a photo of the Leonard's store on Telephone, Ray Hay's with the staff out front, and the old Jack- in-the-Box. I'll scan them in a post them if anyone wants. Also several ads for photographers for senior pics, including Howard Ruthven, who was on the Austin faculty.

OldHouseLover, I wouldn't know what to do with the cookbook, but I appreciate the offer. Have you asked the Houston Public library if they want it; I think they have a section for local history.

Vertigo, I had some class photos but they would have been several years before you; last one in 1964(?). What I DO have are videos of several Henderson May Fetes that my father shot on 8mm and I had transferred over to DVD a while back. The quality is not good, but maybe I can post them, too, if I can figure out how.

I also have a few questions about old places in the area, if anyone can remember. One is a little toy store a block or two south of Henderson on Dismuke. It was never busy, but I used to stop in there occasionally and buy some candy; I think the lady that ran it may have been German. The other is about an ice skating rink somewhere on Telephone, maybe out towards Winkler?

And one piece of trivia. My father graduated from UH after WW 2 and got a job as an inspector for the Texas Highway Dept., now TexDOT. His first important job was the original construction of the Gulf Freeway where it begins south of downtown. The contractor, Brown&Rooot had used substandard concrete, and his report resulted in them having to tear it up and start over. Used to have a Houston Post article about this, but it's been lost. Would appreciate it if anyone could find a reference to it.

One other thing; I'd love to have a good picture of the old stone stage in Hermann Park. Went here for a lot of July 4 celebrations, etc..

Roy

That is fantastic!

You gave me a great idea too. We still have several East End Little League address books with all the kids, team mothers & coaches listed at the time (around 1969 to 1974. There are many listings of local businesses within too! I remember Jarrell Plumbing on Lawndale was 1 of many sponsors our team had. Tropicana Bowling Alley stands out too.Be sure to see topic under East End of East End Little League Ballpark. That was the homeplate/universe of the neighborhood for us kids during those years.

This ballpark is where everyone would meet not just go to watch kids play ball but to secretly date others, gossip and get in trouble. It was funny now that I think of it. Our family knew everyone and I mean everyone as our house was just there on Munger/Dumble 3 homes from ballpark. All the kids had to walk past our house and all my brothers & sis played ball. Summer was a constant stream of friends & school mates. Mom must have had quite a bit of patience but she knew it was all good clean fun.

Please scan anything you can we all would love to see them. Thank you soooo much stexan!

I need to learn how to do that so I can start adding photos. Someone send me a PM to assist please? :blink:

Will get to it in the next few days.

Remembered one other place that's still there, although a little south of the area this thread is about. I grew up on Lidstone south of Brays Bayou. There's a recording studio nearby on Brock Street; don't remember who owned it when I lived there but it's Sugar Hill Studios today. Had the first 8 track recording equipment in Texas. Established in the 1940s(?). They have a web site.

Let's see if I know how to post a link:

http://www.sugarhillstudios.com/

JIMMY MENUDIS CLUB on Telephone & Wayside ca. late 50s into 60s

Anyone remember Jimmy Menudis [not sure of spelling] Club on Wayside/Telephone in the late 50s+? Couple of weeks ago on Sunday @ 11 pm, Dave Ward interviewed STEVE TYRELL/Steve Baliao [not sure of that spelling either]. Was great interview! Brought back many memories. Hubby & I enjoyed several dates there with friends. Was a rockin' place. We didn't realize the history in the making for the blues in the area. Steve noted that he was thought of as the "white r & b guy" in Houston. He also noted the history of the blues in that area of town. Showed Dave & Steve in front of a shopping center that how occupies the location of the club. Steve lived on West side of town, but sang/played in band @ club. He went to St. Thomas Hi. He changed his name to TYRELL @ time he headed to NY after graduation from St. Thomas. Hadn't thought of Jimmy Menudis Club for years.

FOLLOW UP ON ABOVE:

Today's Chronicle [5/26/07] has obit article about Bulah Menutes [sec B/City State P. 6], sister of Jimmy Minutes/Menutes. Article mentions Jimmy Minutes as living in New Orleans. "The Menutes family was one of the first people of Greek heritage to make their homes in Houston". Wouldn't it be interesting if Jimmy could give an oral history of the Houston/East End music/dance/clubs! It would be priceless!

FOLLOW UP ON ABOVE:

Today's Chronicle [5/26/07] has obit article about Bulah Menutes [sec B/City State P. 6], sister of Jimmy Minutes/Menutes. Article mentions Jimmy Minutes as living in New Orleans. "The Menutes family was one of the first people of Greek heritage to make their homes in Houston". Wouldn't it be interesting if Jimmy could give an oral history of the Houston/East End music/dance/clubs! It would be priceless!

Found this link:

http://www.scarletdukes.com/st/tmhou_venues2.html

GREEN PARROT RESTRAUNT and a RECEPTION PLACE in that area.....Riverside [?]

C'mon old timers, anyone remember the Green Parrot Restraunt which was located in a beautiful Riverside [?] area home? Wonderful! Wonderful Food! Cannot remember exact address.

In the same area was a huge house converted into a reception hall. Maybe it had a restraunt also? Many weddings were held there with the bride coming down the winding stairway. I was in a wedding there @ 1960 & walked down the stairs [hoping not to trip & fall].

Those photos of old Near East End were fantastic Stexan!

I need to start searching the archives at moms to add to the list. It's amazing Ray Hay's Broiler Burger is still there. You must remember the Ice Cream Parlor next door to Leonard's Dept Store? The building is still there but has been totally renovated. I had did a small story on it in another thread. I will never forget the lady who waited on us. She always wore that white nurse looking uniform when she served ice cream. I loved the Pineapple Freeze, mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! :P

Those photos of old Near East End were fantastic Stexan!

I need to start searching the archives at moms to add to the list. It's amazing Ray Hay's Broiler Burger is still there. You must remember the Ice Cream Parlor next door to Leonard's Dept Store? The building is still there but has been totally renovated. I had did a small story on it in another thread. I will never forget the lady who waited on us. She always wore that white nurse looking uniform when she served ice cream. I loved the Pineapple Freeze, mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! :P

Yes, the Broiler Burger pic is fantastic! And having Ray himself in the photo...priceless!! Sure would love to see a pic of the old Bruce Bristol Honda shop. I think it was on Dumble and the Gulf Freeway. My brother bought his first Honda there. A Honda 90 back in 1968.

Yeah, that's where the Honda shop was. I remember a Triumph/Vespa dealer further out the Gulf Freeway just north of Griggs.

Try this link for looking around; it's a combination of Google Earth and Wikipedia.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=29731701&x...amp;l=0&m=h

Vertigo, I used to get ice cream/snacks at the place across Telephone from Samperi's. Do you remember what that was?

OldHouse Lover, I found a couple of references to the Green Parrot but can't track it down. I think one of them referred back to another thread somewhere on HAIF. I did find a couple of references to a book called "Down in Houston" about the 40s-50s blues scene in Houston; Barnes & Noble lists it online.

Although I dont have much interest in the Harrisburg area, I would like to give worthy mention to some structures that deserve some recognition.

Here is more proof that Harrisburg was once a thriving and booming area in the day. At the corner of Harrisburg & Wayside there are 2 brick buildings that still stand. I always wondered when stopped at the intersection what the 3-4 story brick building is or was. You can still see the inscription on the front somewhere that indicates HLP? Not sure if thats still the case.

The building is an active telephone exchange office. If you're wondering why it seems empty the majority of the time, it's because the switches these days are automated, as opposed to the past, where people had to patch calls manually.

The building is an active telephone exchange office. If you're wondering why it seems empty the majority of the time, it's because the switches these days are automated, as opposed to the past, where people had to patch calls manually.

We finally got an answer to the mystery! Thanks!

Now that building looks like it was made to withstand a hurricane. I can only imagine the great view from top floors or the roof? Surely one can see all the way from East of Houston to the DT skyline with no obstruction. That place should realy be preserved. I still plan on sneaking into the older place across the street. I supposedly was some kind of meeting hall back in the old days. Also looks strong as heck. Has to have great views from atop the stairs too.

Please join in or add any more background on this area when possible (especially pics). Thanks!

I remember the first taco bell in our neighborhood was in that triangle where wayside and 69th split right by Polk. It had a working fire pit out front. There was also a burger place called Burger Swiss and a Dunkin Donut and a Fina gas station. Getting in there was kinda tricky because you were on the downward slope to the underpass for the train track and you had to make a quick turn into the parking lot and the driveway was angled straight up to the sky. Anyone remember what else was up in that triangle? There were a couple of other buildings but I can't recall what they were.

AH! I remember the pizza hut down by it not far i'm only 23 my stupid uncle left my shoes there. The fina was where (not in the same spot but on the corner)connies is now? They had WEIRD circular tops and the pumps at the base i assume. I saw them tearing them down about 3 weeks ago, They turned it into a weird bank now.

• 3 months later...

Glad someone brought up the old Chuck Wagon under Houston History topic!

The one on Lawndale was across the street from the present Post Office. Is now that eyesore Stephanies Ice House. Has been reduddled beyond description. You could never tell it once was a drive in restaurant. Delicious burgers and fries and the great crushed ice for the soft drinks.

The Chuck Wagon on Broadway is still there but last I saw I think it is a used car lot? We always knew that to get to the DPS office on Dover you had to turn right at the Chuck Wagon place.

Who could forget those directions! :lol:

There was a big lumber yard on far east Lawndale near 75th? I think. It was called Tampke Lumber Company. It has pretty much been erased from any recent memory. The place was old even when we were kids. One day I want to research and find out what became of the family that started up the yard. We knew a relative of this family she owned acres and acres of land in Utopia, Texas near Del Rio? Ms Tampke was what they called a "spinster" in her day as she never married. Somehow my dad got to know them by going to hunt deer on her property. So maybe though an ad or something. I should ask him. All we have are old photos of her on her ranch early 1980's. Anyway, she told us that Tamkpe Lumber Co in East End in Houston was her brother's business. What a small world. I imagine they all died off as years passed and the place closed. One day we passed by and the whole place was incinerated. There is just a field of grass there now. So much for old historical lumber yards in Houston!

You're probably thinking of the lumber yard that used to be at Lawndale and Evergreen, and which is now a pawn shop. A few of the old lumber loft buildings are still standing, as is an old shingled shed covered in vines. It sits on a large lot and dates to the around the turn of the 20th century, as I've researched the nabe a bit at the Ideson library. I live not too far behind it and figure a lot of my house probably came from that lumber yard. There was also an S&P depot nearby at the time so the location near the tracks was logical.

Archived