Memories Of East End

Vertigo58

Here you go. I believe there's some discussion about it under Historic Houston.

menutis.jpg

THANKS FOR THE PICTURE! WHAT A WAY FOR "HONEY" & I TO BEGIN THE DAY WITH BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES. A GREAT PICTURE. QUESTION...WHERE DID YOU GET IT? ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF THE THEATHER PRIOR TO BEING CLUB? ANYONE KNOW WHEN CLUB CLOSED & BUILDING TRASHED? DRIVING THRU MUCH OF THE EAST END & NORTH SIDE BRING TEARS & SADDNESS. BEAUTIFUL AREAS AT ONE TIME.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THANKS FOR THE PICTURE! WHAT A WAY FOR "HONEY" & I TO BEGIN THE DAY WITH BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES. A GREAT PICTURE. QUESTION...WHERE DID YOU GET IT? ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF THE THEATHER PRIOR TO BEING CLUB? ANYONE KNOW WHEN CLUB CLOSED & BUILDING TRASHED? DRIVING THRU MUCH OF THE EAST END & NORTH SIDE BRING TEARS & SADDNESS. BEAUTIFUL AREAS AT ONE TIME.

I recall someone placed photos from Bob Bailey Studios where this was The Wayside Theater! The photo had hundreds of people for the grand opening and Bob Hope was the master of ceremonies, yep The Bob Hope! If I find it I will try to send to you. There was a link in these tons of topics and threads. Sevfiv normally has in the files/archives somewhere? :P

Oh here is where it should be enjoy!

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/

I recall someone placed photos from Bob Bailey Studios where this was The Wayside Theater! The photo had hundreds of people for the grand opening and Bob Hope was the master of ceremonies, yep The Bob Hope! If I find it I will try to send to you. There was a link in these tons of topics and threads. Sevfiv normally has in the files/archives somewhere? :P

Oh here is where it should be enjoy!

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/

Thanks to SubDude & Vertigo58 for picture & recollection @ opening of Wayside Theater! Imagine Bob Hope at the opening! Bet Marvin Zindler would remember these bits of history. Bob Bailey certainly documented our history, didn't he! I'll try to remember to check the city directories at Clayton Library to see if a "paper trail" exists for the Wayside Theater/JM Club. I can't recall all the years of City Directories Clayton has, but there are quite a few. I'm tracing my Dad's ancestry & was surprised to find a good paper trail via City Directories.

Another building which has always been interesting [& I've never found anything on it] is a building on Harrisburg which has been abandoned as long as I can remember. It has the most fascinating folding doors on front. I'm surprised they've survived & look to be in very good condition. Hubby can't remember anything on this bldg either. It is on N. side of Harrisburg between Ninfa's & Eastwood Park. It is closer to Eastwood Park. Anyone know anything @ this bldg? I go past it to get my steak sandwich...Champ Burger [which itself his historic:)].

Thanks to SubDude & Vertigo58 for picture & recollection @ opening of Wayside Theater! Imagine Bob Hope at the opening! Bet Marvin Zindler would remember these bits of history. Bob Bailey certainly documented our history, didn't he! I'll try to remember to check the city directories at Clayton Library to see if a "paper trail" exists for the Wayside Theater/JM Club. I can't recall all the years of City Directories Clayton has, but there are quite a few. I'm tracing my Dad's ancestry & was surprised to find a good paper trail via City Directories.

Another building which has always been interesting [& I've never found anything on it] is a building on Harrisburg which has been abandoned as long as I can remember. It has the most fascinating folding doors on front. I'm surprised they've survived & look to be in very good condition. Hubby can't remember anything on this bldg either. It is on N. side of Harrisburg between Ninfa's & Eastwood Park. It is closer to Eastwood Park. Anyone know anything @ this bldg? I go past it to get my steak sandwich...Champ Burger [which itself his historic:)].

The building I think you are speaking of is almost across the street from Eastwood Park. Next to That ugly Stop N Go store. I too slow down to see if I can take the doors home. They look like they are made of major strong steel and sort of Italianate/Mediterranean style?

There is an old Art Deco type of smaller business next door with a cool 1940's clock. All of this row of businesses make me wonder if they are closed or what the deal is? Someone needs to restore or dismantle and place some where so that others can appreciate them.

Danax is good about scouting this area maybe he can snap pics & share?

I had mentioned earlier that if you look just 1-2 blocks away from Harrisburg, there are still many "untouched" Queen Anne Victorians just fading in the background. Sometimes I check them out and am amazed how original they are. Some just need paint and still retain original leaded glass windows, cresting and finials. They must have been built when Harrisburg was in full swing. You have to love the big sweeping porches. Seems the city was so focused on hyping up the Heights they totally forgot this area. Shame, shame. One day I promise, I will take one of these historic jewels lift up and take home. :P

PS Be sure to see topic: "Harrisburg" under East End & you can see 1 of the homes I mentioned here.

Guest danax
The building I think you are speaking of is almost across the street from Eastwood Park. Next to That ugly Stop N Go store. I too slow down to see if I can take the doors home. They look like they are made of major strong steel and sort of Italianate/Mediterranean style?

There is an old Art Deco type of smaller business next door with a cool 1940's clock. All of this row of businesses make me wonder if they are closed or what the deal is? Someone needs to restore or dismantle and place some where so that others can appreciate them.

Danax is good about scouting this area maybe he can snap pics & share?

40oups0.jpg

I believe these are the ones. The pic was taken a couple of years ago and was part of the HAIF topic, "Still Standing-I"

40oups0.jpg

I believe these are the ones. The pic was taken a couple of years ago and was part of the HAIF topic, "Still Standing-I"

Thanks again! Now the one on the right is what was called "streamline moderne" circa 1930's correct?

The clock is so cool, if only walls could talk.

I am so puzzled as to what it originally was meant to be? Too small for a theater (which it resembles). Maybe meant as a drugstore with an soda fountain for 1940's bobby soxers?

Someone save this building!

and again the streets behind these buildings contain some nice old bungalows, etc. Check em out. :)

Thanks again! Now the one on the right is what was called "streamlied moderne" circa 1930's correct?

I am so puzzled as to what it originally was meant to be? Too small for a theater (which it resembles). Maybe meant as a drugstore with an soda fountain for 1940's bobby soxers?

Someone save this building!

and again the streets behind these buildings contain some nice old bungalows, etc. Check em out. :)

Thanks for the great pictures Danax! That's it! I've seen it with the doors/gates open once since @ 1960. Saw no one in/around building. Seeing gates open was @ 5 yrs ago when work was being done on Eastwood Park. I didn't have the nerve to stop & inquire.....wish I had. The other building looks to have been a pharmacy? On the corner of Eastwood & Harrisburg was a grocery.....I want to say Weingarten, but don't think that was it.

Another rememberance: @ 1960 we were enjoying BBQ @ Lenox when Mr. & Mrs. Slumberge walked in. Everyone was talking with them & called them by name. If it were me eating with those jewels, they would have been covered in sauce:). Nice Nice people. I can't remember exactly where they originally lived in East End....... McKinney St?

Princess Drive in on Harrisburg was our fav hang out. It was near the RR tracks on N side of street. Also spent many evenings @ the bowling alley farther out Harrisburg...they did great grilled cheese sandwiches.

Thanks again! Now the one on the right is what was called "streamlied moderne" circa 1930's correct?

used to be Sterling Laundry - can't find any references other than that

and very art deco/streamline moderne - it was on my project list :)

40oups0.jpg

when i went by there a couple months ago to take a picture, a lady exited with her dog - it was early in the morning on a weekend, so maybe it is residential now?

Hubby just confirmed the bldg to the right was actually a pharmacy, but no recollection of a name [City Directories @Clayton could probably fit piece to the puzzle]

1955 lists it as Sterling Laundry (if i am remembering correctly - i'll double check tonight)

on an odd note, while i was looking around navigation on local.live.com, i ran into this, at delano st.:

2zqv69f.jpg

i wonder when that was happening

Thanks for the great pictures Danax! That's it! I've seen it with the doors/gates open once since @ 1960. Saw no one in/around building. Seeing gates open was @ 5 yrs ago when work was being done on Eastwood Park. I didn't have the nerve to stop & inquire.....wish I had. The other building looks to have been a pharmacy? On the corner of Eastwood & Harrisburg was a grocery.....I want to say Weingarten, but don't think that was it.

Princess Drive in on Harrisburg was our fav hang out. It was near the RR tracks on N side of street. Also spent many evenings @ the bowling alley farther out Harrisburg...they did great grilled cheese sandwiches.

That was a Weingarten years ago stayed boarded up for over 30 years became a much needed HEB then mysteriously closed after a mere 2 years I think? That was real strange.

I am so glad people like you can share stories otherwise others would never know.

and since this is about past structures, I have several old photos of Eastwood Park rides for kids on the playground which are all gone. 1969 was the year. As an addition I always wonder if there were once homes where the park now is??? It would be next to a miracle if someone in Houston has photos?

Finally, one day I saw these people renovating that building next door to the mission way in the middle of Harrisburg. They tossed out several relics (at least to me) I grabbed a chair and a poster size collage of photos of attorney's that used to meet there as it was a focal meeting place for big shots from all over Texas! What!? I grabbed this one just as the rain was pouring down and took home it has prominent attys from San Antonio 1960. Wonder whom may want? I am sure there may be living relatives that would be proud to see their dad's, uncles or grandpa's in their prime. Just curious. :D

That was a Weingarten years ago stayed boarded up for over 30 years became a much needed HEB then mysteriously closed after a mere 2 years I think? That was real strange.

I am so glad people like you can share stories otherwise others would never know.

and since this is about past structures, I have several old photos of Eastwood Park rides for kids on the playground which are all gone. 1969 was the year. As an addition I always wonder if there were once homes where the park now is??? It would be next to a miracle if someone in Houston has photos?

Finally, one day I saw these people renovating that building next door to the mission way in the middle of Harrisburg. They tossed out several relics (at least to me) I grabbed a chair and a poster size collage of photos of attorney's that used to meet there as it was a focal meeting place for big shots from all over Texas! What!? I grabbed this one just as the rain was pouring down and took home it has prominent attys from San Antonio 1960. Wonder whom may want? I am sure there may be living relatives that would be proud to see their dad's, uncles or grandpa's in their prime. Just curious. :D

Interesting find! May I suggest contacting the Historical/Genealogy Society of the county [bexar]. If you cannot find it, get back with me. Online go to "rootsweb.com" then in middle column click on USGenWeb, then to state of Texas, then Bexar County.

okay, checked on 4819 harrisburg - it was indeed Sterling Laundry & Cleaning Co. from at least 1955, owned by Curtis C. Redman.

According to HCAD, Curtis Redman owned the building until 1988

sterling002.jpg

Anyone remember these:

Robert Hall Clothier on Harrisburg

Deli on Telephone [@ Pease]

Felix Mexican Restraunt on Telephone

Rainbo Bakery & thrift bakery across st. [now city water dept]

"Filling"/Service station on Telephone near present "pay day" loan bldg

Beautiful Church that was on Wayside where present Elem. School is now located [Methodist} Near

Fiesta

Photo company in 4800 blk Gulf Fwy. Bldg abandoned for yrs.

Italian Grocery on Lockwood near Harrisburg.

K-Mart on Telephone previously was Globe Discount.

Busch Stadium on Cullen @ Fwy-where Fingers now located. With Prince's across Cullen vision the traffic:)

1968 Dumble street had a Sinclair gas station where Valero now is. We used to fix our bike flats there. There was a U-Totem caddy corner now support beam to park/ride bridge. Dumble alone ahd several grand houses, my friend lived in a Georgian style 3 story on Munger/Dumble had tall elegant columns. I thought it resembled Scarlett O'hara's mansion now a ugy storage business.Leonard's dept store Telephone/Dumble. Too many renovations. Hamburger's 4 for a dollar at burger joint across from Austin H.S. cool outdoor seating. Another elegant huge Queen Ann/Victorian house next to post office on Lawndale. Torn down all left is those sad big palm trees. Chuck Wagon restaurant now that sleezy Stephanies beer joint. Weingarten's very, very convenient grocery on Telephone walking distance, etc. There was a hippie "head shop" as they called them corner of Fourcade/Telephone next door to my old Dr. Ballard's office. Can't forget The Italian Beef House directly under that beautiful electrified neon Coca-Cola sign Telephone/45, we actually got it on film!

That's just a short glimpse and example how Houston forgets it past. Broadmoor truly had a small town feel to it.

I remember the first taco bell in our neighborhood was in that triangle where wayside and 69th split right by Polk. It had a working fire pit out front. There was also a burger place called Burger Swiss and a Dunkin Donut and a Fina gas station. Getting in there was kinda tricky because you were on the downward slope to the underpass for the train track and you had to make a quick turn into the parking lot and the driveway was angled straight up to the sky. Anyone remember what else was up in that triangle? There were a couple of other buildings but I can't recall what they were.

I remember the first taco bell in our neighborhood was in that triangle where wayside and 69th split right by Polk. It had a working fire pit out front. There was also a burger place called Burger Swiss and a Dunkin Donut and a Fina gas station. Getting in there was kinda tricky because you were on the downward slope to the underpass for the train track and you had to make a quick turn into the parking lot and the driveway was angled straight up to the sky. Anyone remember what else was up in that triangle? There were a couple of other buildings but I can't recall what they were.

There has always been a food estblishment in that triangle, but can't think of names at moment. Had forgotten @ Taco Bell. One of the most interesting businesses in EE Sunnylan[d] area is the beauty shop @ Dismuke & Lawndale next to Lutheran Church parking lot. Also a Jewelry store & convenience store in this strip. Thurs, Fri & Sat the place is a buzzin'. Looks like they bring pot luck dishes & have a great time. Don't know if they all still live in EE or they come for social & shampoo. They're an inspiration!

Anyone remember these:

Robert Hall Clothier on Harrisburg

Deli on Telephone [@ Pease]

Felix Mexican Restraunt on Telephone

Rainbo Bakery & thrift bakery across st. [now city water dept]

"Filling"/Service station on Telephone near present "pay day" loan bldg

Beautiful Church that was on Wayside where present Elem. School is now located [Methodist} Near

Fiesta

Photo company in 4800 blk Gulf Fwy. Bldg abandoned for yrs.

Italian Grocery on Lockwood near Harrisburg.

K-Mart on Telephone previously was Globe Discount.

Busch Stadium on Cullen @ Fwy-where Fingers now located. With Prince's across Cullen vision the traffic:)

There are actually several other topics where all of these are discussed. I do still have many interior shots of the Felix Restaurant (that's where we had our 6th grade Rufus Cage Elementary grad dinner). The next person mentioned the Taco Bell at Wayside (I worked there at 16 and got many of my old school friends jobs there). Was held up 2 weeks after I left, area was changing. The little corner was like a neighborhood. We would trade Mex food for Donuts and everyone walked over in different uniforms. Funny, like being in a mall. I recall the girls that were 18-19 seemed so grown up to me! The RR tracks behind always seemed scary. :ph34r:

One of the most interesting businesses in EE Sunnylan[d] area is the beauty shop @ Dismuke & Lawndale next to Lutheran Church parking lot.

Yes, that beauty shop is still churning em out. Gets full to this day. You can still get glimpses of the ladies sitting under those huge old hairdriers, reading gossip mags and catching on local hearsay. Surprisingly they still walk out with bouffants!

Now here is one to really jog the memory banks!

Next to Lorino's (@ Telephone & Lawndale) there is still a brick house then a parking lot then what was "Hidden Treasure's". We used to go there after school to buy our hippy beads and neck (chokers) which were really popular amongst the older kids in school so we had to imitate them. I still have the wooden beads you would place on leather strips then tie around your neck or tie on your hairbrush to look super cool. It is now an upholstery shop.

The real mystery is the still vacant and about to fall over "Christmas Company Early American Shoppe". Corner of Henninger and Lawndale Ave.

If memory serves well it has been closed since 68 when we moved there. I always wondered why the owner never sold the place as it needs to be demolished. Too far gone to save now. What was this place meant to be? Surely they didnt sell Xmas stuff all year long? Had to be the last name of the owner I assume? Did they specialize in Antique furniture? and what years of operation? This would be an ideal spot for a Gas station or grocery stort. What a waste of real estate. Doesnt the city normally fine an owner if they dont remove unsightly buildings? So here we are almost 40 years later and it is still vacant, what gives? :ph34r:

Yeah, I've heard that this was owned by a local artist and used as a studio.

The old Sterling Laundry was purchased quite a few years ago by William Steen, an artist and worked for The Menil Collection. He used the building as his studio and residence. When he moved to NYC 2 or 3 years ago, the property was sold to a woman who's late husband had been a fairly important artist in Houston. The building sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $230,000. She lives in the building (it's really quite wonderful inside) and uses it as a gallery for her late husband's artwork. But be prepared--it and the building to the west are scheduled to be purchased by METRO and demolished for right-of-way for the new Harrisburg Lite Rail. Much of the face of Harrisburg will change--some for the better/some not so.

But be prepared--it and the building to the west are scheduled to be purchased by METRO and demolished for right-of-way for the new Harrisburg Lite Rail. Much of the face of Harrisburg will change--some for the better/some not so.

that is unfortunate. so much for the urban environment that some are striving for.

But be prepared--it and the building to the west are scheduled to be purchased by METRO and demolished for right-of-way for the new Harrisburg Lite Rail. Much of the face of Harrisburg will change--some for the better/some not so.

I had that strange hunch that was just coming around the corner. Progress

Too bad Metro can't target the drinking establishments in the area for demo. Whole other thread I know. :)

PS I am sure this will be mentioned in the upcoming "Urban Corridor Planning" sessions in the other topic for East End.

One of the most interesting businesses in EE Sunnylan[d] area is the beauty shop @ Dismuke & Lawndale next to Lutheran Church parking lot.

Yes, that beauty shop is still churning em out. Gets full to this day. You can still get glimpses of the ladies sitting under those huge old hairdriers, reading gossip mags and catching on local hearsay. Surprisingly they still walk out with bouffants!

Next to Lorino's (@ Telephone & Lawndale) there is still a brick house then a parking lot then what was "Hidden Treasure's". We used to go there after school to buy our hippy beads and neck (chokers) which were really popular amongst the older kids in school so we had to imitate them. I still have the wooden beads you would place on leather strips then tie around your neck or tie on your hairbrush to look super cool. It is now an upholstery shop.

The real mystery is the still vacant and about to fall over "Christmas Company Early American Shoppe". Corner of Henninger and Lawndale Ave.

If memory serves well it has been closed since 68 when we moved there. I always wondered why the owner never sold the place as it needs to be demolished. Too far gone to save now. What was this place meant to be? Surely they didnt sell Xmas stuff all year long? Had to be the last name of the owner I assume? Did they specialize in Antique furniture? and what years of operation? This would be an ideal spot for a Gas station or grocery stort. What a waste of real estate. Doesnt the city normally fine an owner if they dont remove unsightly buildings? So here we are almost 40 years later and it is still vacant, what gives? :ph34r:

I believe Hidden Treasures was owned by the moms of two of my friends in high school. The last names were Martin and Budschick. I bought a little stuffed leopard from them when I was attending Jackson jr high. They used to have their hair done at the same place as my grandma and my mom, the place next door to Dinner Bell.

And wasn't there a drive in grocery store somewhere around there called Pak a Sak? I can't remember exactly where it was but they sold beer to 16 year olds.. bless their little hearts. lol.

Although I dont have much interest in the Harrisburg area, I would like to give worthy mention to some structures that deserve some recognition.

Here is more proof that Harrisburg was once a thriving and booming area in the day. At the corner of Harrisburg & Wayside there are 2 brick buildings that still stand. I always wondered when stopped at the intersection what the 3-4 story brick building is or was. You can still see the inscription on the front somewhere that indicates HLP? Not sure if thats still the case. Across the street there is a raised up brick and stone building that is now some kind of mission I think. I think I read a local paper that stated it was a municipal building once. People, these buildings were built to last.

Sear's Department Store used to be caddy corner from this intersection so that again means the place was "happening".

I remember sitting in my moms car at the Sears parking lot listening to the radio when Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon. I was mad because they interrupted the American Top 40 countdown I was listening to. Casey Casem was about to announce #1 song when the news people interrupted! :P

Sear's was finally torn down around 1985-1990 :(

Christmas Company Early American Shop. This was a furniture company selling upscale early American furniture up to the early 60s [not sure when closed]. Their show windows always caught my attention. Possibly was a family run business & their surname was Christmas? Was sad to see them close. I think ? they opened a shop in Pasadena or somewhere in that area after closing the Lawndale shop. It's probably still owned by some of the family waiting for develoment come knocking on their door. They advertised on the "country & western" music radio station. Think there was a station in Pasadena then? They had a jingle that went something like this "Christmas times a comin' [3 times repeated]..........................." .

Sears: Sad Sad day in EE when Sears closed!! Could see it coming for couple of years as inventory declined. Not sure exactly when it closed, but was probably in mid 60s-1970. My Mother-in-Law & most other long time residents really mourned the loss.

I'm still curious to remember the name of the Deli on Lawndale. Was run by an Italian family. It was one of the handful of actual deli's in Houston.

Sear's Department Store used to be caddy corner from this intersection so that again means the place was "happening".

Sear's was finally torn down around 1985-1990 :(

My cousin's husband was a manager there (he's now at baybrook). he told my dad that sales were actually higher there than at many other Sears stores. But due to demographic changes in the East End, they closed it. i still say it was a sad day.

My cousin's husband was a manager there (he's now at baybrook). he told my dad that sales were actually higher there than at many other Sears stores. But due to demographic changes in the East End, they closed it. i still say it was a sad day.

My youngest brother worked there while still in high school and I know he graduated around 86' so Sear's officially closed shortly after that. Sear's must have had a long term contract with Disney because they always advertised Winnie-The-Pooh clothes and stuffed bears. Always were on display above clothing racks especially children's area. The fresh popcorn was a guarantee every time you walked in. They also had that adjacent cafeteria with the best burgers and fries around. When Christmas came around Sear's always had the best of everything especially toy's. These buildings were made to last who would ever think they would slowly go away? :(

I'm still curious to remember the name of the Deli on Lawndale. Was run by an Italian family. It was one of the handful of actual deli's in Houston.

Glad you could solve the Christmas store mystery.

If there was an Italian Deli on Lawndale it was way before my time. The only deli close to that description I know of is Mandola's over by Cullen & Mckinney? or is it Polk? across from the old Rainbow factory. Still open to this day! just a block over was Ballatori's Italian Restaurant. It was considered upscale for many, many years. They had a great collection of antique model-T cars in the drive. People used to really dress up just to go eat there. Perfect for marriage proposals, etc. I recall a big stir by The Eastwood Civic Association as they were saddened to announce the closing. Mandola's has blossomed since then as we know. Maybe it's Lorino's your thinking of but it was a bar at Telephone & Lawndale. That family ruled our area as far as business were concerned. Mrs Lorino lived a block from us and she owned at least 3 houses on that block alone. She finally moved or hopefully not passed away about 2 years ago.

Archived