Memories Of East End

Vertigo58

1968 Dumble street had a Sinclair gas station where Valero now is. We used to fix our bike flats there. There was a U-Totem caddy corner now support beam to park/ride bridge. Dumble alone ahd several grand houses, my friend lived in a Georgian style 3 story on Munger/Dumble had tall elegant columns. I thought it resembled Scarlett O'hara's mansion now a ugy storage business.Leonard's dept store Telephone/Dumble. Too many renovations. Hamburger's 4 for a dollar at burger joint across from Austin H.S. cool outdoor seating. Another elegant huge Queen Ann/Victorian house next to post office on Lawndale. Torn down all left is those sad big palm trees. Chuck Wagon restaurant now that sleezy Stephanies beer joint. Weingarten's very, very convenient grocery on Telephone walking distance, etc. There was a hippie "head shop" as they called them corner of Fourcade/Telephone next door to my old Dr. Ballard's office. Can't forget The Italian Beef House directly under that beautiful electrified neon Coca-Cola sign Telephone/45, we actually got it on film!

That's just a short glimpse and example how Houston forgets it past. Broadmoor truly had a small town feel to it.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mention Broadmoor, we live in Broadmoor on Scharpe St and it perplexes me as to why a builder has not yet entered our neighborhood and started building. Of course I would prefer a small builder who is not building cookie cutter homes but ones that would match the style of the neighborhood. On Lawson street the city is about to tear down two homes next door to each other. This will add to the many empty lots already found in the neighborhood. Prime area and a nice neighborhood that just needs some new life put into it.

Scharpe St Guy

gnu had mentioned that the pupuseria on broadway was a chuckwagon (and it still resembles one a little bit)

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...ost&p=84451

is that the same one?

You mention Broadmoor, we live in Broadmoor on Scharpe St and it perplexes me as to why a builder has not yet entered our neighborhood and started building. Of course I would prefer a small builder who is not building cookie cutter homes but ones that would match the style of the neighborhood. On Lawson street the city is about to tear down two homes next door to each other. This will add to the many empty lots already found in the neighborhood. Prime area and a nice neighborhood that just needs some new life put into it.

Any lots for sale? I know there aren't any in the MLS.

Scharpe St Guy

I believe that the fate of Broadmoor is to be decided in March. That's when METRO makes the decision. If the terminus of LRT is at your doorsteps, land values will go up and townhomes will come.

Nope. The comps seem to be about $4 to $6 psf, but I'm just eyeballing them.

I believe that the fate of Broadmoor is to be decided in March. That's when METRO makes the decision. If the terminus of LRT is at your doorsteps, land values will go up and townhomes will come.

Nope. The comps seem to be about $4 to $6 psf, but I'm just eyeballing them.

Since METRO hasn't really been innovative track-wise but basically stay on the ground, I just a bad feeling that the Eastwood stations will not come to fruition. Even the presentation on their website mentions the challenges presented by the Lockwood/45/spur 5 intersection. It will be interesting.

Since METRO hasn't really been innovative track-wise but basically stay on the ground, I just a bad feeling that the Eastwood stations will not come to fruition. Even the presentation on their website mentions the challenges presented by the Lockwood/45/spur 5 intersection. It will be interesting.

Elgin is a straight shot. What's the problem?

No which is too bad, most of the lots are sold on the court house steps for unpaid taxes/foreclosure/etc.... Two lots down the street sold at the courthouse within the past year.

Talking to a couple of the older residents of the neighborhood they tell the story of a lady who was married to the old principal of Austin HS. Apparently the two of them bought quite a few homes in Broadmoor and rented them out but did no repairs to any of the properties that they accumulated. I tried contacting her myself but was ignored, I would need to find her name but she is older and owns a lot of land or did two years ago here in Broadmoor.

Niche,

Elgin would make sense for the LRT, hopefully it occurs and the builders start coming in, can't wait.

Scharpe St Guy

No which is too bad, most of the lots are sold on the court house steps for unpaid taxes/foreclosure/etc.... Two lots down the street sold at the courthouse within the past year.

Talking to a couple of the older residents of the neighborhood they tell the story of a lady who was married to the old principal of Austin HS. Apparently the two of them bought quite a few homes in Broadmoor and rented them out but did no repairs to any of the properties that they accumulated. I tried contacting her myself but was ignored, I would need to find her name but she is older and owns a lot of land or did two years ago here in Broadmoor.

Niche,

Elgin would make sense for the LRT, hopefully it occurs and the builders start coming in, can't wait.

Scharpe St Guy

There were some people named Lorino and they owned several stores and I think a restaurant in the area. From what I heard the only remaining matriarch of the Lorino's lived at the house right next to the Metro bus transit center 1300 something Munger st. I would walk by the house everyday to ride the bus. I am almost certian she either passed away or got out of Dodge too. Her family owned blocks of homes in the Munger area. Neighbors told me its true.

There is truly something amiss as to why there hasnt been any huge condos or townhomes being placed here. What's hilarious is they are building like mad just on the other side of the freeway by 288/Elgin area. I would feel as if I am living in a prison because it is beautiful inside your condo and once you drive or (if you dare) walk away it is a living hell all around you. Homelessness, drugs, etc. Would be like a big chicken coop with wolves just waiting out side your abode. Still say its the graffitti and Spanish establishments here that scare folks away. Reality folks...

There is truly something amiss as to why there hasnt been any huge condos or townhomes being placed here. What's hilarious is they are building like mad just on the other side of the freeway by 288/Elgin area. I would feel as if I am living in a prison because it is beautiful inside your condo and once you drive or (if you dare) walk away it is a living hell all around you. Homelessness, drugs, etc. Would be like a big chicken coop with wolves just waiting out side your abode. Still say its the graffitti and Spanish establishments here that scare folks away. Reality folks...

I don't think it's the graffitti because i see that all over town. Many are just afraid of owning an "old" house. I think many of the younger people who would like to own, just dont have the money to own and/or do a major remodel to the home. The lack of retail is pretty bad too. I think it would be irritating to have to drive more than 6 minutes to a grocery store. The convenience factor is lost when you're talking retail. as for spanish speaking establishments, that's just the character of not being part of a chain. the owners have more control and can do what the customers in the area want.

All it takes is people with guts to make something a success. Even on the East side there are success stories.

I don't think it's the graffitti because i see that all over town. Many are just afraid of owning an "old" house. I think many of the younger people who would like to own, just dont have the money to own and/or do a major remodel to the home. The lack of retail is pretty bad too. I think it would be irritating to have to drive more than 6 minutes to a grocery store. The convenience factor is lost when you're talking retail. as for spanish speaking establishments, that's just the character of not being part of a chain. the owners have more control and can do what the customers in the area want.

All it takes is people with guts to make something a success. Even on the East side there are success stories.

This chat board gets funny, but I think we strayed from the original subject of old structures in our area.

I forgot to mention and how could I forget! The old Prince's Drive-In restaurant at Cullen and 45! Yummmmm I can still smell the Shrimp Basket and the out-of-this-world onion rings. We used to go there so often we knew all the workers and would play the juke box. Wonder if anyone would have any photos? I was shocked one day I drove by and half the place was torn down. I immediatly stopped and picked up a big plastic (menu) sign from one of the ordering boxes. Cool! See what time does, now that that hugh Catholic Charasmatic place is next door all the families could have been eating there and the place would have bounced back! I am sure there were $ reasons for its demise not to mention the robberies & 3rd world surroundings. Surprised Finger's Furniture is still across the street. They were fortunate to have a resurgence/boom comeback due to the townhomes sprouting up all around.

• 3 weeks later...

Scharpe St Guy

It's a miracle but there are 2 new homes being built by me over by Lawndale/Sunnyland streets. One is on Truett and the other on McCormick streets. Crossing our fingers that this will help push out the riff raff lurking nearby. There are so many vacant lots just waiting for people to buy them and start buliding. Cant see how people pass up such great opportunity?

This is such a neat place to be as far as proximity to the frwy and it is so nice to hear the chimes of the convent tower next door. Then the nice view of the woods on the other side. Developers are missing out big time! I would love to give personal tours to anyone wanting to get a great investment. Tracts are real cheap people should get them while they can. If only ONE developer would build a high rise townhome it would start the rush. Come on someone! I'll start the barbecue!

It's a miracle but there are 2 new homes being built by me over by Lawndale/Sunnyland streets. One is on Truett and the other on McCormick streets. Crossing our fingers that this will help push out the riff raff lurking nearby. There are so many vacant lots just waiting for people to buy them and start buliding. Cant see how people pass up such great opportunity?

This is such a neat place to be as far as proximity to the frwy and it is so nice to hear the chimes of the convent tower next door. Then the nice view of the woods on the other side. Developers are missing out big time! I would love to give personal tours to anyone wanting to get a great investment. Tracts are real cheap people should get them while they can. If only ONE developer would build a high rise townhome it would start the rush. Come on someone! I'll start the barbecue!

The one on Truett sold for $45k, or over $7 psf. For Sunnyland, that's too expensive. Would much rather be in Broadmoor or Forest Hill.

Keep a watch for what goes up on those empty lots as they're sold. Townhouse developers are usually not the boldest builders in the pack, even if they see a currently semi-downtrodden area close to gentrifying areas. However, other folks might decide it fits their plans just fine, like homeless shelters (6301 Gulf Fwy (HouTex Inn), there's a public meeting coming up on....Musicman knows), halfway houses, apartment builders, rinky-dink "townhouse" developers etc.

Pecan Park where I live is similar to Sunnyland and we're keeping an eagle eye out for such things. We've had one guy buy 2 lots next to each other, tear down the houses, try to build a car lot against deed restrictions, sue the civic club because they tried to stop him, dropped the suit but drained the club's funds fighting it, then ended up building 2 crap-tacular "patio homes" with no garages. One is still for sale, with stick-on house numbers applied lop-sided, has been for sale for about 2 years, the other sold and the new owners, against deed restrictions, have a tax service, money-to-Mexico service and pit bull kennel complete with spray painted plywood sign, all available for viewing at Broad & Gulf Fwy (they're on the feeder). We've had another lot bought by some mysterious company, not sure what they're building but we'll soon find out, and they changed the 1 lot into their own subdivision, "Garza Subdivision". We're hoping it's a house and not something horrible.

Bottom line is "the riff raff" is attracted to these areas. They drive through, see how it all looks, and think, "hey, looks like no one cares around here. This is where I want to build!"

Pecan Park where I live is similar to Sunnyland and we're keeping an eagle eye out for such things. We've had one guy buy 2 lots next to each other, tear down the houses, try to build a car lot against deed restrictions, sue the civic club because they tried to stop him, dropped the suit but drained the club's funds fighting it, then ended up building 2 crap-tacular "patio homes" with no garages.

The city wouldn't sue to enforce the deed restrictions in that case? They don't enforce some things, like paint color, but I thought they would go after people for usage violations.

The city wouldn't sue to enforce the deed restrictions in that case? They don't enforce some things, like paint color, but I thought they would go after people for usage violations.

Yes, they will and it's been reported. Now we wait to see how long it takes. In the meantime, they continue to advertise their businesses and I don't believe the City fines them if found in violation, which is a shame, since there's no fear of violating them in the first place.

And yes, they were told when they first bought the place about the deed restrictions, and they did it anyway.

They got creative during the holiday season too.

4hi3uqx.jpg

Yes, they will and it's been reported. Now we wait to see how long it takes. In the meantime, they continue to advertise their businesses and I don't believe the City fines them if found in violation, which is a shame, since there's no fear of violating them in the first place.

And yes, they were told when they first bought the place about the deed restrictions, and they did it anyway.

They got creative during the holiday season too.

LOL that is funny!

Danax is right. Hopefully the City legal department will come through for the neighborhood. They send the violators letters to "cease and desist" but obviously these people couldn't care less.

Many have the mentality that since it is my house I can do anything i want to. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Keep a watch for what goes up on those empty lots as they're sold. Townhouse developers are usually not the boldest builders in the pack, even if they see a currently semi-downtrodden area close to gentrifying areas. However, other folks might decide it fits their plans just fine, like homeless shelters (6301 Gulf Fwy (HouTex Inn), there's a public meeting coming up on....Musicman knows), halfway houses, apartment builders, rinky-dink "townhouse" developers etc.

Pecan Park where I live is similar to Sunnyland and we're keeping an eagle eye out for such things. We've had one guy buy 2 lots next to each other, tear down the houses, try to build a car lot against deed restrictions, sue the civic club because they tried to stop him, dropped the suit but drained the club's funds fighting it, then ended up building 2 crap-tacular "patio homes" with no garages. One is still for sale, with stick-on house numbers applied lop-sided, has been for sale for about 2 years, the other sold and the new owners, against deed restrictions, have a tax service, money-to-Mexico service and pit bull kennel complete with spray painted plywood sign, all available for viewing at Broad & Gulf Fwy (they're on the feeder). We've had another lot bought by some mysterious company, not sure what they're building but we'll soon find out, and they changed the 1 lot into their own subdivision, "Garza Subdivision". We're hoping it's a house and not something horrible.

Bottom line is "the riff raff" is attracted to these areas. They drive through, see how it all looks, and think, "hey, looks like no one cares around here. This is where I want to build!"

Correct on all of the above.

In fact the people just next door (glad their gone) were using the back yard as a pit-bull's for-sale kennel where they would always gather a crowd of thugs and watch the dogs tear away at each other as they swigged away the booze (guns fired later). Coincidentally they are the same innocent people on TV that claim the cops shot their relative as he waved a hammer at them. Whole other thread for sure. So you see some of you dont have it that bad. It was quite the ordeal to say the least. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
1968 Dumble street had a Sinclair gas station where Valero now is. We used to fix our bike flats there. There was a U-Totem caddy corner now support beam to park/ride bridge. Dumble alone ahd several grand houses, my friend lived in a Georgian style 3 story on Munger/Dumble had tall elegant columns. I thought it resembled Scarlett O'hara's mansion now a ugy storage business.Leonard's dept store Telephone/Dumble. Too many renovations. Hamburger's 4 for a dollar at burger joint across from Austin H.S. cool outdoor seating. Another elegant huge Queen Ann/Victorian house next to post office on Lawndale. Torn down all left is those sad big palm trees. Chuck Wagon restaurant now that sleezy Stephanies beer joint. Weingarten's very, very convenient grocery on Telephone walking distance, etc. There was a hippie "head shop" as they called them corner of Fourcade/Telephone next door to my old Dr. Ballard's office. Can't forget The Italian Beef House directly under that beautiful electrified neon Coca-Cola sign Telephone/45, we actually got it on film!

That's just a short glimpse and example how Houston forgets it past. Broadmoor truly had a small town feel to it.

The Place across from Austin HS was the Mustange Malt Shop. They actually opened up again in 1974 but closed shortly thereafter because the school got mad at many of the students walking across the street to get a really big and yummy burger. I was one that got in trouble. They werent too happy with me either when I got one of the boy that worked there to bring my hamburger to me across the street. I would put my order in before school and pay for it ahead of time. Remember Ray Hays Broiler Burger? And Phifers? And what was the name of that tiny jewelry store on the corner of Dumble and Telephone? Thats where I bought my senior ring. And yes I remember the Italian Beefhouse. Best meatball sub I have ever had. Last one I had was in 1975. I also wonder what happened to that huge Coca Cola sign.

...And what was the name of that tiny jewelry store on the corner of Dumble and Telephone? Thats where I bought my senior ring.

Was it "Young the Jeweler"?

My uncle owned that jewelry and watch repair shop during the 70's and early 80's, or probably even longer, I'll have to ask my mom. ;)

My uncle owned that jewelry and watch repair shop during the 70's and early 80's, or probably even longer, I'll have to ask my mom. ;)

It had to be another one because "Young The Jeweler" sign is still at Telephone & I think next street from Pease. So it was not at Dumble. Only Leonard's Dept store/gas station/Jack in the box and Ray Hay's Broiler Burger were on that intersection. Remember the old Jack/Box was further to the back of the present one? Outdoor tables and had a glass telephone booth in front.

We used to love eating at The Mustang Malt Shop especially after coming from summer swimming lessons at the underground swimming pool at Stephen F Austin. Remember it had like school desks lined up all around so people could sit eat, sip a float & chat? Who can forget getting to go upstairs to the gym to play Chinese checkers, ping pong and or just hang out. This was summer mind you but it was always funny to see your neighborhood pals in swimming suits playing around in that gym killing time for the free swimming later.

There was that other Ice Cream shop on Telephone next to Leonard's. The older lady always wore a white nurse-like uniform with sagging white hose complete with hairnet & pointy glasses, she made the best Pineapple Freeze's in the world. The place had that real Be-bop 50's feel to it.

Weingarten's further down was so nice & convenient. The people were always so friendly and helpful. I always went straight to that magazine rack for the latest Mad magazine or National Lampoon magazine. We would walk across the big parking lot in the back and I always wondered, did this store do so much business one day that cars would park this far back? Probably so. Closing that great store was a big mistake, area has lacked decent grocer since. I tell you this area honestly had a Mayberry RFD feel to it at one time. Most of the kids we knew had relatives that either owned and ran their own business or owned several properties throughout the neighborhood. I always wondered how that came to be.

I drove down the Gulf Freeway today on my way to Fingers Furniture and noticed the big metal skeletal structure that once held the neon coke sign was still there holding up some plain looking sign. The area under it is just a small green field of grass. I felt like putting a chair in the grass and having a meatball sub.

Yes! Thats the place I got my senior ring. I didnt want to order one from school because I was afraid they would lose it. My brother got his there too. They also had an ad in the back of my brothers yearbook.

What a miracle! You are correct! Developers & home buyers alike are missing out! What a convenient location. One can go almost anywhere South & East of downtown without getting on freeway. I hope developers don't start thinking of all original homes in area as ready for wrecking ball & building new ones.

What a miracle! You are correct! Developers & home buyers alike are missing out! What a convenient location. One can go almost anywhere South & East of downtown without getting on freeway. I hope developers don't start thinking of all original homes in area as ready for wrecking ball & building new ones.

The home next door (Bonsrell st) to was for sale for over a year and no one got it until last week. It was a give away. It had been completly remodeled inside and still retained its original look on outside.

Yes, your right the location is awesome! All I do is get in the car drive down a few blocks and freeway access in any direction, that quick! Just added a deck to the west side of my 2 story so now I can see the whole downtown skyline on a lawn chair! Even better view, from my 3rd floor loft I added! It is also so nice to hear the cathedral bells ringing on weekends. I enjoy hearing anything from Ave Maria' to other joyful tunes as I do yard work, etc. My home is one of the only ones with gingerbread detail and Gothic revival appearance around. Labor of love. People are really missing out on home buying opportunities or to build new! :lol:

The home next door (Bonsrell st) to was for sale for over a year and no one got it until last week. It was a give away. It had been completly remodeled inside and still retained its original look on outside.

Well...judging by the photo gallery, if that is the house you're talking about, the interior had been totally reMUDDLED and I don't believe a natural finish wood door, shutters, and vinyl siding are correct for 1940.

• 1 month later...

JIMMY MENUDIS CLUB on Telephone & Wayside ca. late 50s into 60s

Anyone remember Jimmy Menudis [not sure of spelling] Club on Wayside/Telephone in the late 50s+? Couple of weeks ago on Sunday @ 11 pm, Dave Ward interviewed STEVE TYRELL/Steve Baliao [not sure of that spelling either]. Was great interview! Brought back many memories. Hubby & I enjoyed several dates there with friends. Was a rockin' place. We didn't realize the history in the making for the blues in the area. Steve noted that he was thought of as the "white r & b guy" in Houston. He also noted the history of the blues in that area of town. Showed Dave & Steve in front of a shopping center that how occupies the location of the club. Steve lived on West side of town, but sang/played in band @ club. He went to St. Thomas Hi. He changed his name to TYRELL @ time he headed to NY after graduation from St. Thomas. Hadn't thought of Jimmy Menudis Club for years.

JIMMY MENUDIS CLUB on Telephone & Wayside ca. late 50s into 60s

Anyone remember Jimmy Menudis [not sure of spelling] Club on Wayside/Telephone in the late 50s+? Couple of weeks ago on Sunday @ 11 pm, Dave Ward interviewed STEVE TYRELL/Steve Baliao [not sure of that spelling either]. Was great interview! Brought back many memories. Hubby & I enjoyed several dates there with friends. Was a rockin' place. We didn't realize the history in the making for the blues in the area. Steve noted that he was thought of as the "white r & b guy" in Houston. He also noted the history of the blues in that area of town. Showed Dave & Steve in front of a shopping center that how occupies the location of the club. Steve lived on West side of town, but sang/played in band @ club. He went to St. Thomas Hi. He changed his name to TYRELL @ time he headed to NY after graduation from St. Thomas. Hadn't thought of Jimmy Menudis Club for years.

Here you go. I believe there's some discussion about it under Historic Houston.

menutis.jpg

Jimmy Menudis Club

You know I often wondered what in the world once stood in that huge lot. I knew there had to be something that was of importance because of the prime location.

You dont want to see it now unless you enjoy getting depressed for sport. I'll put it this way, take a green card. Let's just remember (as Babs Streisand said it) The way we were. -_-

Archived