Houston Comets 2007

DJ V Lawrence

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4443147.html

I never had plans to start a Comets thread, but after hearing these two announcements, I didn't know what else to name it.

1) Van Chancellor, future Basketball Hall Of Famer, three time Coach of the Year, four-time WNBA champ, FIBA world champion, Olympic gold medalist, and the winnest coach in women's professional basketball history, resigned today as coach of the Comets. He's been one of the biggest influences in Texas sports by helping to turn an otherwise not so talked-about sport into something worth watching in the postseason. The only professional team to win more professional championships in the state of Texas are the Dallas Cowboys, and no coach in Texas has ever lead a professional franshise to four major championships.

2) The new owner of the Houston Comets may be a newcomer to owning a sports team, and that's Hilton Koch, president of Hilton Furniture and Mattress Co., (and that's a fact, jack), is in exclusive negotiations to buy the team.

Is the new proposed owner from Houston? I hope this is not some Yankee looking to buy a team and move them.

Yeah, he's local. Hilton Koch is probably one of the more well known furniture dudes in H-Town. No worries; Comets are staying put in Houston. Question now is who he'd pursue to fill Van's shoes as head coach, and how much he's willing to put it to push the market and put the Comets back into the dynasty days.

Yeah, he's local. Hilton Koch is probably one of the more well known furniture dudes in H-Town. No worries; Comets are staying put in Houston. Question now is who he'd pursue to fill Van's shoes as head coach, and how much he's willing to put it to push the market and put the Comets back into the dynasty days.

I am not sure if UT (Texas) womens bb coach would think about up and leaving (Condrat or something is last name). She is one of the best out there. Oh, and UT (Tennessee) womens coach in incredible as well.

Maybe Rudy T? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or is Hilton Koch only been in business for like 5-6 yrs? I remember his commercials appearing only 5-6 yrs ago. Man, the furniture business must be real good!! I guess Mattress Mac didn't monopolize the furniture biz in Houston!

I think he has been in business - at least - since before 1992.

Reason i say that is I remember a Letterman episode focusing on Houston (when he was still on NBC and broadcast at 1 or 2am locally). They had a competion of some sort (can't remember the details) between Hilton and Mattress Mac. Hilton was still using the chainsaw to cut up mattresses and Mac was still jumping up and down...saving you money. Hilton won...whatever it was.

I think he has been in business - at least - since before 1992.

Reason i say that is I remember a Letterman episode focusing on Houston (when he was still on NBC and broadcast at 1 or 2am locally). They had a competion of some sort (can't remember the details) between Hilton and Mattress Mac. Hilton was still using the chainsaw to cut up mattresses and Mac was still jumping up and down...saving you money. Hilton won...whatever it was.

Wasn't that Conan O'Brien? He said something about having a place in his heart for Houston because of that Hilton vs. Mattress Mac skit, because he somehow ended up meeting his future wife in that time period

• 2 weeks later...
Great news. I want the Comets to stay in Houston. Four titles in the first four years. Definitely the Houston Comets! And that's a fact, Jack! :lol:

I think the Comets will become a much stronger market now that they have an owner who would focus strickly on the Comets, as apposed to one who owned the NBA, WNBA, and pursued an NHL team. I think Alexander just wanted to lower his responsibilities and not work himself dry, while Hilton wants to take basketball to another level. It's a perfect business match.

This may very well affect Houston sports more than we think. What will Hilton do to push the Comets' market, what will he do with the coaching vacancy to bring them back to championship circle, and will Alexander still pursue buying an NHL team now that he's finally focused on one team and not 2-3 (remember, he used to own the Arena League's Thunderbears at one point). Or will he try to lure an NHL team to Toyota to pick up some extra lease money while focusing solely on the Rockets?

IMO this was a bad investment on Hilton's part

Why's that? You don't think he'll profit? Think about it; he just bought a professional team with a good local fanbase without having to go through the money and stress behind building a new stadium. It sounds like a lot of potential from a business standpoint.

I think the biggest winner is Alexander though. He sold the most successful franchise in the league for a profit while knowing they're in good hands, and gets to focus on the Rockets.

Why's that? You don't think he'll profit? Think about it; he just bought a professional team with a good local fanbase without having to go through the money and stress behind building a new stadium. It sounds like a lot of potential from a business standpoint.

I think the biggest winner is Alexander though. He sold the most successful franchise in the league for a profit while knowing they're in good hands, and gets to focus on the Rockets.

if i were him, i would have built another furniture store..who the hell likes the Comets anyways? Women's basketball is not entertaining...

if i were him, i would have built another furniture store..who the hell likes the Comets anyways? Women's basketball is not entertaining...

Women's pro-basketball seems to me to be the biggest and most successful women's sports league in America (possibly the world). I can't think of any that come close when it comes to attendance, sponsorship, media coverage, etc.. The big reason for that is because of the NBA helping out in all departments. Having WNBA in the Summer helps basketball remain on national tv 12 months a year, which isn't an easy task.

The ball's all on Hilton's court on how successful the team's market becomes from here. They already have the strongest history in the league. I think the Comets have more marketing potential than any team in the WNBA thanks to that. And WNBA's market is growing each season; this season, there will be around 90 nationally televised games. It sounds like the league will be long-term to me.

The WNBA pumps crowd noise through the speakers in the stadium...kind of bad if you ask me. It is good that Hilton bought the Comets and I hope he does well with him. The Comets are not that problem, though. It is the WNBA in general. Hopefully now Alexander will try and pursue an NHL team and get Houston to have all of the major sports.

The WNBA is a much better TEAM game to watch than the NBA. I simply can't watch the NBA. The NBA isn't basketball. There's no concept of team. There's no respect to the rules and nearly every Sports Center highlight is simply just a traveling violation if you aren't paid millions.

Show me screens. Show me set plays. Show me people that have to work for a shot. That's much more entertaining than some social plague taking 4 steps on the way to the basket after he palmed the ball all the way down the court only to showboat his way to some dunk that later gets described as "en fuego."

I also don't like the idea of paying a month's salary to set courtside only to get sucker punched, spat upon, or worse.

NBA = SUCK

The WNBA is a much better TEAM game to watch than the NBA. I simply can't watch the NBA. The NBA isn't basketball. There's no concept of team. There's no respect to the rules and nearly every Sports Center highlight is simply just a traveling violation if you aren't paid millions.

Show me screens. Show me set plays. Show me people that have to work for a shot. That's much more entertaining than some social plague taking 4 steps on the way to the basket after he palmed the ball all the way down the court only to showboat his way to some dunk that later gets described as "en fuego."

I also don't like the idea of paying a month's salary to set courtside only to get sucker punched, spat upon, or worse.

NBA = SUCK

that my friend, is entertainment....i prefer college ball over the NBA though

NBA = SUCK

Oh kink...always a man after my own heart :wub:

You are spot on. I'll take the Comets over any self involved, disconnected NBA team any day. When Toyota opened we bought Rockets season tickets and gave them to my brother-in-law after the second game...he went once and gave them to his boys...they used them once. If you can't even get someone to go see a game for free in really great seats, what does that tell you?

As you so succinctly said: NBA=SUCK.

• 1 month later...

Actually, this is not a good time for the WNBA. I don't see attendance up at Comets games. I think Alexander made a smart biz decision, though it makes a very good excuse for him to mention about concentrating on the Rockets. Don't know if Hilton got a good deal for the Comets, but interest in the Comets has been waning.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4443147.html

I never had plans to start a Comets thread, but after hearing these two announcements, I didn't know what else to name it.

1) Van Chancellor, future Basketball Hall Of Famer, three time Coach of the Year, four-time WNBA champ, FIBA world champion, Olympic gold medalist, and the winnest coach in women's professional basketball history, resigned today as coach of the Comets. He's been one of the biggest influences in Texas sports by helping to turn an otherwise not so talked-about sport into something worth watching in the postseason. The only professional team to win more professional championships in the state of Texas are the Dallas Cowboys, and no coach in Texas has ever lead a professional franshise to four major championships.

2) The new owner of the Houston Comets may be a newcomer to owning a sports team, and that's Hilton Koch, president of Hilton Furniture and Mattress Co., (and that's a fact, jack), is in exclusive negotiations to buy the team.

Am i wrong here? Has Hilton been in the mattress business only like 5-6 yrs? I remember seeing his commercials back in 2001. If so, i am in the wrong biz. Buying a team/product for $10 million for the short amount of time he has been in business is remarkable.

Actually, this is not a good time for the WNBA. I don't see attendance up at Comets games. I think Alexander made a smart biz decision, though it makes a very good excuse for him to mention about concentrating on the Rockets. Don't know if Hilton got a good deal for the Comets, but interest in the Comets has been waning.

Alexander has said before that he wants to focus on the Rockets and bringing an NHL team to H-Town, so I agree that it's a big win for him. It's also a big win for him because now he gets to lease the Comets, so that's more money for him and Toyota Center. And it's also good for Hilton because he doesn't have to worry about financing a new stadium.

Whether Hilton got a good deal or not depends on how well he can market the team and make the gameday experience improve more than the previous owner. I've never been to a WNBA game, but obviously from some of the complaints on the forum, they have a lot to work on, especially attendance. Not one team surpassed a 10,000 average attendance last year for the first time in league history. That's not good business. Perhaps in Houston, Hilton can turn that around. The team itself is already good. Advertising and good tv deals will be key for that team to make mad revenue.

Archived