Knob and Tube Wiring

Hello all,

We're buying a house in the Woodland Heights and want to re-wire the house. We've heard rumors from $3500 to $12,500 to redo the whole house which is a one story 3-1. Anyone out there done this recently and have an idea on costs and someone who did a good job you can refer to us? Thank you much and we're looking forward to being Heights residents!

Thanks!

AJ

We're buying a house in the Woodland Heights and want to re-wire the house. We've heard rumors from $3500 to $12,500 to redo the whole house which is a one story 3-1. Anyone out there done this recently and have an idea on costs and someone who did a good job you can refer to us? Thank you much and we're looking forward to being Heights residents!

You've got to get bids. It could be really easy, and thus really cheap, or it could be really difficult to do, and quite expensive.

I had the replacement of my breaker box and meter base quoted, and recieved an outrageously high bid ($2500) from Bakenhaus Electric. If you need a number to throw in the seller's face to get concessions, call them. HCB Electric, I believe it was, gave me a really good quote of around $800.

BTW, if it is in good condition, and hasn't been hacked up, there's nothing wrong with knob and tube, some people regard it as being better than today's methods. If you still have fuse boxes, you'll probably want to replace those, regardless.

You've got to get bids. It could be really easy, and thus really cheap, or it could be really difficult to do, and quite expensive.

I had the replacement of my breaker box and meter base quoted, and recieved an outrageously high bid ($2500) from Bakenhaus Electric. If you need a number to throw in the seller's face to get concessions, call them. HCB Electric, I believe it was, gave me a really good quote of around $800.

BTW, if it is in good condition, and hasn't been hacked up, there's nothing wrong with knob and tube, some people regard it as being better than today's methods. If you still have fuse boxes, you'll probably want to replace those, regardless.

Yeah, we've gotten a bid and will be getting more in the next couple days, but I wanted to ask around for comparative pricing. Given how the area is full of homes with K & T that are regularly rewired I figured someone would have a ballpark figure that we can play with. Thanks for the pricing feedback. I'd heard of Bakenhaus, but not HCB.

Good point. Our house is 1/2 and 1/2. It was partially rewired for the kitchen renovation and addition on the back. We have no problems and the K&T we do have is in great shape. My mother's house in MA was built in 1910 and she just replaces the K&T a couple years ago and that was only b/c her husband is an electrician...

I'm not suggesting don't do it or that it's not worth it, but if cost becomes a factor you can easily rewire necessary parts and leave others that are in good working condition.

The biggest issue with knob and tube wiring is many insurance companies won't write your home with it in place. Many also require that you have circuit breakers at least in part.

The biggest issue with knob and tube wiring is many insurance companies won't write your home with it in place. Many also require that you have circuit breakers at least in part.

This is true. One other problem i had was that there were too many outlets on one circuit. My home was actually on 2 circuit breakers when i first purchased it. Also you cannot insulate around the knob and tube because it is considered a fire hazard. Today's wire is double insulated but the knob and tube version isn't and the insulation is brittle due to age. Also the the non grounded situation may be a concern for electronics.

As a general rule of thumb, just upgrading your service from 100amp to 150amp-200amp will cost $1,500 to $2,000 and that doesn't touch interior wiring, just the new panel, disconnect, breakers, etc. If you want to convert from overhead to underground, it will be more.

If the knob and tube is functional, I wouldn't mess with it until you are ready to remodel. Pulling wire through existing walls will be a pain. Upgrading the wiring is best left until you are ready to sheetrock, paint, upgrade lighting, etc.

As a general rule of thumb, just upgrading your service from 100amp to 150amp-200amp will cost $1,500 to $2,000 and that doesn't touch interior wiring, just the new panel, disconnect, breakers, etc. If you want to convert from overhead to underground, it will be more.

Wow that seems excessive. I think i paid the electrician 300 to change out my service. Once that was done I did the rest.

Wow that seems excessive. I think i paid the electrician 300 to change out my service. Once that was done I did the rest.

Who's your electrician? I got quotes for $800-2000 for a new breaker box and meter base. I decided not to do it, but if I can get it done for $300, I'm there!

There are more than $300 worth of breakers in a 150amp main panel. If you are doing a knob and tube rewire, you don't have anything to start with but juice on the pole.

Just to confirm, I'm talking about new meter can, weatherhead, main panel, disconnect and breakers.

Good Afternoon,

why is it needed to rewire an older home ?

For the purpose of passing inspection ?

Because the house will be difficult to sell ?

Is the real issue is that maybe the house outlets are not grounded ? Couldn't a 3 prong outlet fix that issue ?

Finally, what if you did some minor wiring without a permit ? Will that affect trying to sell the house ?

Thank You

Good Afternoon,

why is it needed to rewire an older home ?

For the purpose of passing inspection ?

Because the house will be difficult to sell ?

Is the real issue is that maybe the house outlets are not grounded ? Couldn't a 3 prong outlet fix that issue ?

Finally, what if you did some minor wiring without a permit ? Will that affect trying to sell the house ?

Thank You

Why? Most of the times for safety purposes. Most insurance companies are not covering homes that have knob and tube wiring. So in order to get insurance you have to upgrade.

It will be noted duirng your inspection the that you have knob and tube wiring and probably they'll mention the lack of a ground. If your home still has the orignal receptacles (plugs) it could lead to a safety situation as the hot and the neutral will not be distinguishable i.e. the 2 grooves are the same.

putting in a 3prong outlet doesn't fix anything except it allows you to plug in things that have the 3rd prong (ground). But it will NOT be grounded. Most inspectors just use a plug'in type device which determines whether a ground is present. But they can easliy be faked by putting a jumper between the neutral and the ground on the receptacle itself. At the breaker box, they are actually conntected anyway.

most homes have minor wiring done without a permit and MANY other things that are not done with a permit.

We're doing it for multiple reasons. Insurance, the better resale value in the end, safety, increasing from 100-200 amps for our appliances, TVs and computers, etc. In the end, as long as you don't go for one of these $15k jobs some people ask for you'll find that you get $ for $ in your investment. There's no protection in a knob and tube that will prevent you from destroying your appliances. Good knob and tube isn't a mandatory replacement, but replacing it sure makes life easier and less stressful IMO.

We've gotten bids between $4000-$8000 from master electricians and larger electrical companies. Some others have given near $13k just for the rewiring and another $3k+ for new amp.

I looked up what a new 200 amp main panel cost online and it's $200. jgs was talking about more pieces than just the panel, but still...

Just a little added data. We remodeled the kitchen and master bath in a 2/2 bungalow behind River Oaks shopping center about a year ago. We upgraded the service to 200amp including new panel, breakers, disconnect, meter can, and weather head. We ran new lighting and plug circuits to the kitchen, bath and some of common areas in the house. We left the old K&T panel in place for the bedrooms and subfed it from the main, our client didn't want to pay for rewiring the bedrooms and secondary bath and the damage that might ensue if we needed to cut sheetrock to get to a box. After it was all said and done, our electrical cost was $6,000 including about $650 in recessed cans. We had to have a city inspector go through the K&T panel with us before we left it in place to get their blessing on the new wiring plan.

That said, copper has gone through the roof in the last year so that price is out of date but you may find it helpful for comparison purposes.

There are more than $300 worth of breakers in a 150amp main panel. If you are doing a knob and tube rewire, you don't have anything to start with but juice on the pole.

Just to confirm, I'm talking about new meter can, weatherhead, main panel, disconnect and breakers.

I found the check i wrote to electrician. I paid him 300 to update my service. NOTE: Because my house is small and most major appliances are gas I only put in 125a service. My big electrical appliances consist of Central air/electric dryer. You can use load calculator as a guesstimate of how much power you require. I just did a quick recalculation and found that i needed 93A service so my 125a is sufficient.

I can't find receipt for parts but my dad said it was between 100 and 150 for parts at most because he went with electrician to buy them. He said electrician recommended the kits cause some breakers were included similar to this 200a service which is 110 at Lowe's. Therefore I will say i spent 450 at most. I"ve subsequently added a whole house surge protector like this that i picked up at the Habitat building supply for cheap ($5 i think).

My meter can and weatherhead were adequate so i didn't buy that new.

Now for the bad news, the electrician is retired.

oh and yes..the cost of wire has doubled in less than 5 yrs.

My cousin just had her 1600 sq ft home completely rewired and she paid 3900 including the permit.

• 3 months later...

I may have to replace a knob and tube electrical system in a house I am buying. Can anyone recommend an electrician/company they have had a good experience with? ie good quality work and inexpensive?

Thanks!

I remember a thread about this somewhere a couple months ago, it predates the Home Improvement sub forum.
Here you go, AAA ;) if the mods could merge these two thread's it would be much appreciated.

Done.

Archived