Harris County Municipal Courts At 1400 Lubbock St.

Guest danax

I drive by this chunk of freeway-colored concrete twice a day. It's outstanding in its lack of architectural interest and how it proudly displays, not only a natural pavement/smog aesthetic on its skin, but also the prominent drool stains that draw the eye vertically. I doubt that when they designed this building the expected to produce this specific effect, however.

Anyone know when it was built? I'm guessing mid/late 60s. There's some sort of boom lift or crane alongside it so I'm hoping that perhaps it's undergoing a spiff-up. If not, where are our city officials? Is that a parking garage attached to it? It's in a proud prom-queen location alongside the 45 DT, standing relatively alone, bridging 6th Ward and DT, and appears to be a sad wallflower instead. This building needs to be cleaned head to toe to enhance its blocky, minimalist lines.

The building was dedicated in 1950. It originally contained the police department, jail and municipal courts. The courts moved next door in 1973. There is a police parking garage located behind it. The City is trying to get a joint jail and booking facility with Harris County, allowing the City to get out of the jail business. The building will stick around at least until the booking facility is built. Currently, it still houses Traffic and Accident Investigation for HPD.

The building, though ugly as hell, has a really cool Art Deco frieze on it. Here is a link that has a photo of it, as well as some more info on the building and the frieze.

http://www.bobthomasattorney.com/Police%20...rbitrations.htm

Danax, today i acquired a pic/poster of houston from 1987 that has many of the Downtown buildings labelled with dates of construction. You're more than welcome to stop by to look at it. If someone has a scanner i can bring it by and share it with the members here. It appears to be about 15x20 and is an aerial shot looking WSW from about the intersection of 59/I-10.

The building was dedicated in 1950. It originally contained the police department, jail and municipal courts. The courts moved next door in 1973. There is a police parking garage located behind it. The City is trying to get a joint jail and booking facility with Harris County, allowing the City to get out of the jail business. The building will stick around at least until the booking facility is built. Currently, it still houses Traffic and Accident Investigation for HPD.

The building, though ugly as hell, has a really cool Art Deco frieze on it. Here is a link that has a photo of it, as well as some more info on the building and the frieze.

http://www.bobthomasattorney.com/Police%20...rbitrations.htm

Thanks for the info, Red. The frieze is cool but I'm guessing there's no love for or interest in the building by the City so it'll probably be turned to rubble fairly soon. I am going to have to take a close-up look at it. It could just be that the concrete or, perhaps porous limestone, has been absorbing car exhaust for 66 years and will look sharp once cleaned like City Hall.

You know, I've never really minded this building that much. That said, I admit quite a weakness for decoration like the frieze, especially ones with instructive designs of virtues personified, such as Science Leading Industry, and Labor Teaches Youth.

Now, if you want a really really ugly example of municipal courthouse architecture, may I direct your attention to the new Criminal Courts building downtown? You know, the one with the dome. :blink:

I spoke today with an HPD officer that works out of that building. He says that "Landry's" owns it and is leasing it to the City, that's what he heard, anyway.

So, the future of this ugly and semi-historic building seems........fishy, at this point. Aquarium expansion? Will Tilman reuse, maybe repaint the building and turn it into a giant fish tank and keep the frieze? I'd guess that it's sunk.

edit: HCAD still shows 61 Riesner as owned by COH.

• The title was changed to Municipal Courts At 1400 Lubbock St.
  • The title was changed to Harris County Municipal Courts At 1400 Lubbock St.