Cinder Block Construction On Algregg St.

Guest Malvoe

This thread is about a cinder-block (and yes, before you add the re-bar & concrete, that's all it is)...

Actually, no it's not. A cinder block is made from coal, cinders and portland cement. In the old days, this is how they were made. Nowadays, the blocks are made from concrete, hence the term, "CMU (concrete masonry unit). Though it is common to use the term cinder block, the two are very different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread has nothing to do with hurting your brother, or his wife's, feelings. This thread is about a concrete-block (thanks Red for the correction below) home that sticks out like a sore thumb in one of Houston's most traditional, and architecturally significant neighborhoods. No one here would give two thoughts to a home like that going up off of Washington, east of downtown in the Warehouse district, the 4th ward, or perhaps even Midtown.

I don't understand what's so adventurous about building an ugly, out of place home? Heres a picture of mine if you like:

63mfwr6.jpg

Sure I live in a suburban hell. Yes I live in a cookie-cutter, in a subdivision that is most certainly the product of sprawl. At least my home is of the same style as the other homes. Let's see some other HAIF member homes while we're at it.

Obviously the world is watching, just by proof of this thread about your brother's ugly house.

Actually, it is very clear from the original post, and others that followed, that this thread is about insulting someone's house, and therefore them.

My condolences to you for chosing to live in that "cookie cutter" house that lacks, style and personality.

Have you actually driven down Algregg? It is an eclectic mix of styles, 20's clapboard (not Victorian, that's further west), 40's brick, 80's townhomes, Fiesta, Discotecha Puma, pseudo-Victorian McMansions around the corner and down the street. The home on one side is abandoned, the bungalow on the other is owned by my brother. It will be moved. He has lived in that home for over 25 years.

He is not concerned for resale, he built what he wanted and intends to stay there for at least another 25 years. He is not stupid, and he knows he has limited his resale.

He discussed his plans for a home with his neighbors for 3 years before he built, noone said a word of objection.

He is not worried about a Neighborhood Night Out, he has BBQ's with his neighbors.

Don't buy a house in Houston, that is not in a homeowners association, or in a historic district, if you want to control what kind of house (strike that, what structure, as it could easily be a business in Houston, as it has no zoning to speak of) will be built next to you.

Also, I do not believe CMU's are available in split-face on 3 sides.

I can see why the 2 car driveway and garage is not the favorite of some, but it is not atypical of the new construction in the area. As someone who has lived in an area with alleys and rear entry garages a number of times, they look good from the front, but limit contact with your neighbors and reduce backyards. The 50 foot lots on Algregg are not conducive to homes bigger than 1200 square ft, with front entry, rear of the lot garages.

I personally believe that the 3-4 story McMansions, conjoined townhomes, are a bigger blight on the neighborhood than my brother's house and they were built first, ruining the sense of cohesive style that some of you think existed (it didn't exist when he first moved there over 25 years ago either).

I would try matching the gutter with the tan line under the three windows, I live in a cookie cutter house always have, I would live in a cardboard box if it came down to it. The only thing I see wrong with jeebus house is the mulch volcanoes around the live oak trees, root and crown rot and lack of oxygen to the root system will stress the trees.

You'd think that they could get blocks textured on 3 sides for that purpose....

The blocks aren't textured, they are called split-face. Only one side of the block has the texture. They do make corners though.

As for the sign, yes, addresses go on the house when it is done, but the painted signs are for when construction is still under way for deliveries/contractors and are actually required by the city (not that they be shoddily painted - I use designed signs for my jobs).

I have no problem with architectural creativity and bravery, but I think such decisions should be made with respect to the neighbors and the impact on them. If you are in a neighborhood of bungalows, you should probably try to keep it in the same style.

If you want to go nuts, go to a neighborhood that is already eclectic.

Good afternoon neighbors & others. I am the person who owns & built the house you have been discussing. I have found your comments amusing & funny. I would have responded earlier but I have been building a house and did not know about this forum till someone told me you were discussing our new home.

If you have been watching the house under construction I am the big fat guy with gray hair. I bought the house next door twenty five years ago & was born in Heights hospital about fifty years ago so I have been in the neighborhood for a long time. I bought in an area with no deed restrictions so one day I could build what I wanted.

Sorry it bothers your children. I suggest blind folds(just kidding) or go down another street(still kidding). The children that have been to the house have thought it was cool.

I built our house the way I did for several reasons. The main two are not to have to paint it ever or to have to deal with termites.

I will try to deal with the comments & question the best that I can.

There are windows on three of the four sides of the house. The windows on the front are up high to maximize the wall space to place furniture, but still let in light. The stainless steel French doors will open onto our side yard as we own half of the lot to the east.

The walls are 8" split-face concrete blocks. The white blocks are burnished or polished. The roof is a metal SIP panel with a standing seam exterior panel

with 5" inches of foam insulation & a white textured interior panel. All the exterior walls are left exposed on the inside of the house & sealed, as are the concrete floors.

There area was very eclectic before I built. There are two condos & a two story traditional brick home across the street and a metal roofed contemporary down the street. My brother has not seen that the Disco-teca hair salon has been turned back in to a house.

I had someone design the house & paid them, so I would say it was professionally designed.

We still have a lot of things on our to-do list. One of which is to do some landscapping. The numbers on the house will change. We had to have to pass our final building inspection.

If you have any questions ask them here or stop by the house. I will check back from time to time.

See you on neighbor's night out if someone can tell me when it is.

ps

If you know any one who wants a Heights 2-1 wood frame house let me know. The door with the flames on the old house goes in the new house.

• 1 month later...

Was the bungalow next door moved or torn down? It's gone. The sewer disconnect permit was issued on the 6th, but was labelled "demo res" (unless all disconnect permits are issued as demo even if they aren't going to be demolished).

Some of you strike me as architectural snobs with no sense of adventure.

You nailed that one. I dig your brother's house.

I drove by with my 7 year old daughter today and told her a lot of people on here didn't like it. She said it was "pretty cool", "looked kind of like Legos", "would be prettier with blue and red stripes around the top", and that "just because something is weird doesn't mean it's horrible and doesn't belong in a neighborhood."

I'm curious what the electric bill is like in the summer months. Those tiny windows ought to help a lot.

Good afternoon neighbors & others. I am the person who owns & built the house you have been discussing. I have found your comments amusing & funny. I would have responded earlier but I have been building a house and did not know about this forum till someone told me you were discussing our new home.

I see nothing wrong with your house, other than there appear to be some less-than-friendly neighbors in the vicinity. My only question is, where can I find some plans for concrete/cinder block construction? I'm interested in this type of construction, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. What type of roofing construction did you use? It appears to be metal, which would appeal to me. Do you have any experience with, or sources for, foam-sandwich/steel roofing panels? I've installed some before, but it was years ago.

BTW, since I just registered on this site a few moments ago, I also just reviewed the posting guidelines. Some of you other posters should go back and review them, as I noticed several posts that seemed to be in violation of them, or if not, at least uncalled for and rude. Oh, and as for the "frightened" children, narrow-minded attitudes are TAUGHT, not inherited!

We designed the house from scratch with help of two architects. The real problem we had was finding someone to build the house. The residential builders wanted too much and the commercial builders did not want to build a house. We got a commercial builder to build a shell and subcontracted out the interior construction our selves. The roof is a metal SIP panel with a standing seam exterior panel with 5" inches of foam insulation & a white metal textured interior panel. The panels are from Metlspan (http://www.metlspan.com/)

The electric bills are running about $400.00 a month.

Was the bungalow next door moved or torn down? It's gone. The sewer disconnect permit was issued on the 6th, but was labelled "demo res" (unless all disconnect permits are issued as demo even if they aren't going to be demolished).

The house was moved to a lot in the Heights.

Thanks! I'll check out the metal panel site.

I'm not sure how to compare your electric bill and ours, since we're in rural Arkansas, and you're in Houston. It sounds high from here, but maybe it's not bad in that area.

Where did you find the textured, re-inforced blocks? Are they hollow or solid...if hollow, did you leave them that way, or are they filled after laying?

Is your roof structure self-supporting over the entire span, or are there trusses, beams, or structural interior walls?

I'd love to see some more pictures, maybe some you took, instead of those taken by the critics.

Jim

Thanks! I'll check out the metal panel site.

I'm not sure how to compare your electric bill and ours, since we're in rural Arkansas, and you're in Houston. It sounds high from here, but maybe it's not bad in that area.

Where did you find the textured, re-inforced blocks? Are they hollow or solid...if hollow, did you leave them that way, or are they filled after laying?

Is your roof structure self-supporting over the entire span, or are there trusses, beams, or structural interior walls?

I'd love to see some more pictures, maybe some you took, instead of those taken by the critics.

Jim

The electric bill is twice what I was paying for a in a 1,000 ft wood frame house. My wife also likes the temperture set at 68.

The C.M.U. are called split-face and are pretty common. Ours came from Southwest Concrete Products here in Houston. The blocks are 50% filled with concrete and 50% filled with styrofoam beads. Every 4th one is concrete.

There is a central i-beam running front to back with bar joist running side to side. The bar joist are welded to plate in the top of the block wall.

There are no structural walls in the interior, the i-beam is held up by 4 steel post. Here are a couple of pictures. The fist shows the bar joist the 2nd shows the kitchen wall & roof from the front door.

post-4553-1196103996.jpg

post-4553-1196104110.jpg

nice house

I'm currently using the same construction materials in designing a garage apt in montrose

if it's not a bother, could you PM your commercial contractor contact for the CMU shell work

(assuming std #4's @24"O.C.)

cheers~

I checked with him & he is not interested in doing anymore residential.

Wow, I live right down the street off Studewood, shop at the "scuzzy" Fiesta, and have never noticed the house before, will have to run by there later. I like the idea and style and would much rather have something like it go up next to me versus an overscaled, lotline hugging McMansion.

Drove by after dark last night. House looks very cool with the lights glowing from the inside, you can see the roof joists through the high windows. Considering the variety of other structures on that block, I don't think it is an eyesore at all. Congrats, I would love to see the inside sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! That roof support system leaves the interior open to almost any floorplan ideas one could come up with, without losses to structural walls. What is the total square footage, and what are the ceiling heights (high side and low)? From the pics, it looks like it's a lot more than the 1000 sq/ft wood frame you mentioned.

Jim

The total square footage under the roof is about 3,200 sq/ft of that 2,600 sq/ft is house & 600sq/ft is garage. The 1,000 sq/ft was my old house that was just moved out to give us a side yard. The ceiling is about 16' on the high side & about 10' on the low side.

• 1 year later...

In researching materials... What position does cinder block have in architecture? I know that the Union Square Garage in San Francisco is made from cinder block- designed by architect Timothy Pfleuger in the early 1960s. What are the best uses of cinder block? How does it compare with materials for fire safety? Is it considered a green / sustainable material?

LW

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think anyone was arguing the homes durability, but it's bad design.

No. Not really. It's good design actually.

I just got back from Central FL. For the past 30, 40 years homes are cinder block construction. The ones that I saw being built had furring strips, both inside and outside. This allows typical sheetrock construction in the interior and hardi plank on the outside. Or... no furring strips on the outside... and REAL stucco.

Basically, the homes look the same as all frame construction. Just that they are built like bomb shelters, more so for the termites than hurricanes. Much better construction, IMO.

• 1 year later...

From HAR:

One of a kind cement block contemporary home w/all custom details including His & Her bathrooms & closets. Hers is 6x18 & has built in desk; Steel roof & beams; Super high ceilings with exposed beams & ducts; Solid wood pocket doors throughout; Gourmet kitchen with huge granite island; SS dbl ovens & dishwashers; Separate refrig & freezer; Custom wood cabinets; Air cond storage rm off garage; Heated pool & hottub with wireless remote. Look at room sizes. Call for all of the details. Huge pantry

http://search.har.com/engine/715-Algregg-St-Houston-TX-77008_HAR71032038.htm

I think it has the definite feel of a bunker due to the concrete block construction and lack of standing-height windows.

I don't know if the realtor was insinuating the home's dearth of landscape appeal with the last photo, "view of neighbor's beautiful yard", but it made me laugh.

Dissapointed I missed this thread 4 years ago. I'm usually a big fan of CMU architecture, and reading the comments from the beginning, I didn't have any problem the lack of windows in the front, the desire for privacy, nor the choice to be original and not attempt to fit into the Height's style. I really wanted to like this house and was ready to jump to the owner's defense... unfortunately i then saw the photos.

Putting a positive spin on it, at least the Jiffy-Lube architecture is appropriate for car-centric Houston. Was the designer's identity mentioned earlier in the thread ?

He is not concerned for resale, he built what he wanted and intends to stay there for at least another 25 years. He is not stupid, and he knows he has limited his resale.

From a uniqueness standpoint, I'll be curious to see how this fares on the market.

PS.. the complete lack of landscaping really doesnt help here. Concrete, grass and zero trees... looks like a new suburb front lawn.

PSS.. I sort of like the Craftsman sink in a weird Monster House kinda way.

When we moved to the Heights a couple of years ago, my (Brazilian) wife was kind of shocked that people here actually build and live in timber-frame houses (she calls them cardboard), so the idea of a masonry house ought not to be considered radical.

That said, if you do this kind of house, you have to go all the way. The tool-box style bathroom drawers fit really well with the style of the house. The beige granite countertop doesn't (I'd have gone with concrete or maybe stainless). There are flashes of brilliance and some things that look like compromises.

At the end of the day, it looks not so much like it was designed by a committee as designed by a committee of car mechanics and their wives.

Archived