Cinder Block Construction On Algregg St.

Guest Malvoe

Guest Malvoe

If you get a chance, check out the cinder block abomination being built on Algregg St (borders Fiesta to the north), two blocks west of Fiesta/Studewood. No windows on the front, left, or back of the "house", but oddly, several facing the east. Seems like the front door is the only door at all. Looks terrible. Yikes.

Between that place, the abandoned house next door, and the crappy townhouses across the street, I feel bad for their neighbors.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are building cinder block houses down the road from me off 304 south of 71 (Bastrop). I have been following the progress of the construction since I have never seen cinder block houses being built before.

As far as I can tell, these houses will look just like adobe houses when completed, and I see nothing wrong with that look. My only

Isn't cinder block a fairly common building material? Usually hidden by stucco or brick veneer on the outside and plaster on the inside? The building where I work is probably 3/4 cinder block but hardly any is visible.

Marty

Isn't cinder block a fairly common building material? Usually hidden by stucco or brick veneer on the outside and plaster on the inside? The building where I work is probably 3/4 cinder block but hardly any is visible.

Marty

May I polietly ask what cinder block is made of? Is it concrete? (Probably not!)

The only experience I have with cinder block constructed homes is in Mexico and they seem quite well built. I agree that perhaps they will have a stucco facade, for some of the wealthier homes in Mexico seem to follow that style.

As far as the windows goes, your guess is as good as mine. I'd have to look at it.

Guest Malvoe

Trust me, go check it out. Your optimism will evaporate quickly. It looks terrible, whatever they might choose to coat it with.

It may not look pretty in the beginning stages, but cinder block and tin can make for a stunning home. For comparison, take a look at one on west 23rd a few blocks west of Shepherd/Durham on the south side of the street. That will give you an idea of what a "cinder block" house can look like.

Malove is right. I saw that thing on the way home from Fiesta the other night and it scared me. I made my kids look away.

I am a big fan of block houses with contemporary styling and used properly, cinder block can be a great building material. In this case, however, it is just plain ugly. I hope they put a tall fence out front.

Malove is right. I saw that thing on the way home from Fiesta the other night and it scared me. I made my kids look away.

I am a big fan of block houses with contemporary styling and used properly, cinder block can be a great building material. In this case, however, it is just plain ugly. I hope they put a tall fence out front.

Gee. Now youre making me curious as to the home and I'm tempted to drive by it in the near future.

Alot of things can be surmised by how the house (or any other building) is constructed with aethestics in mind.

The small windows and the lack of ingress and egress options are a bit telling.

Are you sure a drug dealer isn't moving into your area?

Either that or someone that has some really bad taste issues, and I'm not refering to their choice of food.

Guest Malvoe

Ah, see, jgs1419 knows. My GF and I were walking by the place the other day, and stopped for a good 10 min just to try and figure out what they were doing. Really weird, ugly, place.

Marty

Sorry but stucco just doesn't seem to work long term in Houston. Everyday I drive by any number of stucco houses/townhomes that are cracking, molding, or generally just look bad.

Guest Malvoe
I made my kids look away.

Btw, that was hilarious.

I drove by again last night. I don't thing there are any plans to cover up the cinder blocks. they used one row of white blocks around the entire house as "decoration".

The blocks are certainly the finish material. They are "split face" and have the aesthetically appealing faux stone face on the exterior side. I'll try to slide by and take a picture today after work so nobody has to get too close to that thing.

The blocks are certainly the finish material. They are "split face" and have the aesthetically appealing faux stone face on the exterior side. I'll try to slide by and take a picture today after work so nobody has to get too close to that thing.

"aesthetically appealing faux stone face"

That's all you needed to say, it must be a homemade job of some sort and not pro-designed modern block and tin construction. I'll have to drive by on the way home tonight. If you have the chance though, you really should check out the place on 23rd, beautiful structure.

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody have a photo of this house?

Here are some. I walked by it on Saturday with my kids - it made them cry but I managed to take some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality of my cellphone camera.

Any possibility that this is some kind of garage? The dumpster parked out in front had a lot of carpet padding that appeared to be from the house on the left. Maybe some collector or hobbyist bought the house and wanted a big, cheap garage?

post-3469-1170099618.jpg

post-3469-1170099639.jpg

post-3469-1170099659.jpg

Concrete Blocks are the way to go in Houston. It's termite proof and will stand up to hurricanes a lot better than stick houses. FYI, usually they fill up the hollows in the concrete block with concrete and put steel rebars. This is very strong construction.

Concrete Blocks are the way to go in Houston. It's termite proof and will stand up to hurricanes a lot better than stick houses. FYI, usually they fill up the hollows in the concrete block with concrete and put steel rebars. This is very strong construction.

I don't think anyone was arguing the homes durability, but it's bad design.

I don't think anyone was arguing the homes durability, but it's bad design.

...the perfect house for the conspicuous drug dealer and/or gangbanger with a penchant for minimalist bling. :P

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look computer-generated. I've always liked cinder block, but this isn't what I had in mind.

It has 4 total windows and the "front" double doors face the house to its right. Oh yeah, the roof is bright red, and on the left side, they ran out of gray cinderblocks so there are 2 different color grays. Other than that, it's peachy.

i had dreamed up something a little worse than what the pictures depict, but still...!

i would say that from really far away (and perhaps if one was nearsighted sans glasses) it would look sort of midcentury with the roof tilt and minimal front-facing windows - that being said, it also could appear to be a cinderblock-reinforced cardboard home :blush:

Any possibility that this is some kind of garage? The dumpster parked out in front had a lot of carpet padding that appeared to be from the house on the left. Maybe some collector or hobbyist bought the house and wanted a big, cheap garage?

Is cinder block construction cheaper than stick framing?

Archived