Waterhill Co. Townhomes

http://www.waterhillcompany.com/comingsooninfo.html

Looks like they've already got a couple in the warehouse district and are looking to develop another two. Pretty big suckers, too.

The one on Commerce Street will have 140 patio homes, starting in the mid-$300's! That'll help East End demographics in the 2010 Census, although frankly, it seems like a couple price points too high for so many units.

Much further out, on the south side of Navigation east of Lockwood, there'll be another 79 townhomes from the $160's. They're already moving dirt on this one. I remember that when this was vacant land, it was a high grassy knoll that might have had views over the strip warehouse across Navigation and then overlooking the old Turkey Bend. If so, I'd be willing to bet that the townhomes fronting Navigation will be priced pretty high.

Much further out, on the south side of Navigation east of Lockwood, there'll be another 79 townhomes from the $160's. They're already moving dirt on this one. I remember that when this was vacant land, it was a high grassy knoll that might have had views over the strip warehouse across Navigation and then overlooking the old Turkey Bend. If so, I'd be willing to bet that the townhomes fronting Navigation will be priced pretty high.

That lot on Navigation is nice terrain and Waterhill was being way more aggressive than the others by snagging something so far east, and I'm thinking that it will pay off for them. That whole area between Canal and the bayou is hilly in spots and could really be redeveloped into a prime neighborhood, something like Clinton Dr. Once the townhomes start going in over there, some of that old industrial might give way along the bayou and we'll get our first real waterfront residential.

That lot on Navigation is nice terrain and Waterhill was being way more aggressive than the others by snagging something so far east, and I'm thinking that it will pay off for them. That whole area between Canal and the bayou is hilly in spots and could really be redeveloped into a prime neighborhood, something like Clinton Dr. Once the townhomes start going in over there, some of that old industrial might give way along the bayou and we'll get our first real waterfront residential.

Yeah, drove thru Freedman's Town yesterday and if people will live and buy there, they will buy ANYwhere! The Buffalo Bayou watershed on the east side does have some interesting aspects which would be a draw.

Looks like they've already got a couple in the warehouse district and are looking to develop another two. Pretty big suckers, too.

The one on Commerce Street will have 140 patio homes, starting in the mid-$300's! That'll help East End demographics in the 2010 Census, although frankly, it seems like a couple price points too high for so many units.

Their website says the Commerce Street patio homes are priced from the mid-200's, not 300's.

Waterhill has some pretty nice designs; does anyone know anything about their quality?

Their website says the Commerce Street patio homes are priced from the mid-200's, not 300's.

You are correct. As with my little flub on Inner Loop population/employment figures, I read from the wrong set of figures.

Where has my mind been lately??? :wacko:

Waterhill has some pretty nice designs; does anyone know anything about their quality?

They are not popular in the Heights. They have a new project on 8th and Nicholson where they cut down a dozen or so full grown oaks that were along the sidewalk. No obvious reason for them to be cut.

• 1 year later...

I'm posting here because it shows up high on search engine results.

We've lived in a Waterhill townhome since December 2007. Though we like the design and our neighbors, tt was the worst decision of our life. To date:

1. Only one of the two community gates actually works.

2. The one gate that does work doesn't have a locking pedestrian entrance. It's just open.

3. We were never given the gate remotes as promised.

4. The retaining wall behind our home is still incomplete.

5. The tree in front of our house was dead when we moved in.

6. We regularly receive notices from contractors who were never paid by Waterhill for work.

7. We've received two notices threatening to cut off our water because Waterhill didn't pay

8. Of the planned 78 homes, only 11 are done. No construction has been done in months.

9. The empty land is overgrown and has attracted all sorts of critters.

10. The solar light above our garage does not work.

11. We were never provided touch-up paint despite more than 10 requests for it.

12. The sheetrock in our home is uneven at the studs.

13. Our toilet leaked only one month after moving in.

14. Weather damaged two of our neighbors' roofs due to improper installation.

Our water is being cut off tomorrow due to Waterhill's non-payment. It's inspired me to share my complaints with the world.

I have heard that Waterhill is in bankruptcy.

They were constructing 60+ units in the Heights at 8th and Waverly.

they completed 8 or 10 units (very poorly) and there are about 12 other units

that have set there for several months half complete. I feel very sorry for the current owners.

We've lived in a Waterhill townhome since December 2007. Though we like the design and our neighbors, tt was the worst decision of our life. To date:

1. Only one of the two community gates actually works.

2. The one gate that does work doesn't have a locking pedestrian entrance. It's just open.

3. We were never given the gate remotes as promised.

4. The retaining wall behind our home is still incomplete.

5. The tree in front of our house was dead when we moved in.

6. We regularly receive notices from contractors who were never paid by Waterhill for work.

7. We've received two notices threatening to cut off our water because Waterhill didn't pay

8. Of the planned 78 homes, only 11 are done. No construction has been done in months.

Our water is being cut off tomorrow due to Waterhill's non-payment. It's inspired me to share my complaints with the world.

1. Only one of the two community gates actually works. Just get rid of them, they don't keep the thieves out anyway

3. We were never given the gate remotes as promised. Go an see what brand the gate motor is. PM me with it and I can see if my gate guy can get you some

4. The retaining wall behind our home is still incomplete.It will be a long time before it is.

5. The tree in front of our house was dead when we moved in.Put another one in yourself

6. We regularly receive notices from contractors who were never paid by Waterhill for work.They should have filed their leins before you closed on the property. These liens will have to be taken care of when you sell. You probably won't have to pay them but they will be contacted and told to remove the lien.

7. We've received two notices threatening to cut off our water because Waterhill didn't pay. I would call the city if you have not already asnd ask what you need to do. Waterhill probably had the account on those? They are gone is my guess, they are not going to pay.

I answered a few things in the post above but I guess its best to not be redundant and keep telling you that Waterhill is probably not going to fix anything. You got screwed and its horrible. Keep records of what you get fixed. I doubt there will be anything or anyone to sue but you never know.

I also wanted to add a little anecdote...I had a couple looking at one of my houses a few months ago. They made a decent offer, I countered back in my favor, not at the halfway mark, and they walked and decided to buy a Waterhill which I believe was the development on Commerce. I kicked myself for not getting them in, I think we were off by $5000 from my last offer. I probably would have moved another $1000-2000. I got and offer about 45 days after on that house near where my first counter was so in the end all I probably lost was some interest on the loan for carrying the home. Moral is as much as I kicked myself I bet the people that went Waterhill are kicking themselves more now. We should have worked the deal a little harder.

I also lost a few people that said they preferred the Waterhills. I was always polite but asked myself what the hell are these people seeing...In the end I think it was the fact they had a model????

• 2 weeks later...

This thread brings up a cautionary tale for me as a potential home shopper. With the whole real estate market being in a general slump I am seeing these "partially completed complexes" in pockets all over the inner loop where I've been looking. Of course, the cheerful salespeople aren't going to tell you that the builder is in dire straits and might never finish the other houses around the one you're buying....but that's exactly what might happen. You end up in a newly constructed house (good or bad) but you're surrounded by unfinished hulks and dirt, hardly the thriving community you envisioned when you bought. I've also seen some complexes where the exteriors of all the planned homes are up but unfinished on the inside. They're actively for sale so I guess the builder plans on finishing them up one by one only after receiving funding for them, sounds really risky to me as a consumer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone knew anymore details about Waterhill's bankruptcy? I've had the occasion since I last posted to ride by their developments on W. 8th, Commerce, and Navigation and all of them appear to have just stopped in their tracks. Navigation and W. 8th have a few unfinished houses and lots of land around them...Commerce has lots more partially completed shells. I never really came that close but was kind of interested in the Commerce and Heights projects at one time so I'm just curious what will become of them?

Here is what one Waterhill site in Midtown looks like... 10 shells and a whole bunch of construction debris.

Waterhill

If you look at that site directly east of there across the intersection, you can see 3 townhomes and 3 empty spaces to the southwest of them in the same lot. That has been sitting like that forever too. 2 of the 3 already built have been on the market forever. I've seen the listing go to Option Pending numerous times, only to go back to Active. I think they keep failing inspections. I went to look at them in person and although I like the floorplan, the contruction felt pretty shoddy. Not looking good for that immediate area.

If you look at that site directly east of there across the intersection, you can see 3 townhomes and 3 empty spaces to the southwest of them in the same lot. That has been sitting like that forever too. 2 of the 3 already built have been on the market forever. I've seen the listing go to Option Pending numerous times, only to go back to Active. I think they keep failing inspections. I went to look at them in person and although I like the floorplan, the contruction felt pretty shoddy. Not looking good for that immediate area.

That is part of the beauty of riding the bus into work downtown, you can see the construction going up day after day after day. Witness what cheap materials are being used an so on. These are some of the clusters of start ups that seem to suddeny come to a halt for whatever reasons. Everyone should take a slow cruise around these sites and notice the wood, etc that is being used. No comment.

• 5 months later...
Perhaps with all the negative reviews, buyers will steer clear.

I have to wonder what's going on, but I'm happy to see that their project on Navigation at Engel is at least being cleaned up. The two partially-completed townhomes that were allowed to rot have finally been demolished.

That was a townhome development that had been foreclosed on by the bank. I know that several other Waterhill projects had also been foreclosed on.

I have to wonder what's going on, but I'm happy to see that their project on Navigation at Engel is at least being cleaned up. The two partially-completed townhomes that were allowed to rot have finally been demolished.

That was a townhome development that had been foreclosed on by the bank. I know that several other Waterhill projects had also been foreclosed on.

Hey, I drove by this development today and I still saw some partialy-completed townhomes. Are you sure you're talking about the ones on Navigation?

Hey, I drove by this development today and I still saw some partialy-completed townhomes. Are you sure you're talking about the ones on Navigation?

I was right by there about a week or a week and a half ago and at that time they had torn down at least one and it was a pile of rubble. Another partially-completed one, closest to Engel Street, was still standing.

I was right by there about a week or a week and a half ago and at that time they had torn down at least one and it was a pile of rubble. Another partially-completed one, closest to Engel Street, was still standing.

I think I remember seeing two abandoned shells parallel to Engel Street, but I'm not completely sure. But anyways, do you know if they're planning to tear those down as well?

I think I remember seeing two abandoned shells parallel to Engel Street, but I'm not completely sure. But anyways, do you know if they're planning to tear those down as well?

I would imagine so, since they've already torn down one or more that are toward the interior of the development. But I don't have any insider knowledge.

Archived