My review of Dallas

Are you serious? Of course its a joke; or more specifically an attempt to satirize the depths many of you Houstonian have sunk to in making this and other threads about Dallas in to a pictorial comparison with Houston.

Well , that's why i asked you if it was apart of a joke.

And we haven't seen any pics of Dallas night life on this thread, so this can't be a picture comparison thread with Dallas.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well , that's why i asked you if it was apart of a joke.

And we haven't seen any pics of Dallas night life on this thread, so this can't be a picture comparison thread with Dallas.

Pardon me. When I return home I'll acess my vast collection of "Dallas night life" shots and post a few.

So,should anyone from FW,who wants to be "hip",move inside Dallas city limits?Or is inside Dallas county good enough? B)

No I'm just saying, in my most humble opinion, the lounge sucked and was (half) full of fat chicks. It seemed to be trying to do what it thinks other cities do and had no real flava. And what someone else said was correct. Outside of downtown FW, the rest of the city is really dead. I mean there are absolutely no other happening neighborhoods. (The Stockyards are a boring gimmicky, cheesey, dying, (mostly local) tourist trap, IMO, so I'm not counting it. And I didn't expect it to be in such a dumpy rundown area) But DTFW is nice in a contrived, small town, sterile, kind of way. But I've yet to see how some people call Fort Worth "funkytown". There's nothing funky about that city.

I agree that FW doesnt have MUCH of a nightlife.And that sucks.But,seriously,does everyone inside Dallas county look at everyone in Tarrant county as "un-hip"?You know ,as that tag along,red headed,canadian,little step brother.

When I'm in conversation with folks on that side of DFW,its always the ones that arent from Dallas that absolutely hate FW.Mostly because no one is cool like people are cool in Dallas.Its funny.

Oh'and nothing funky about "Cowtown",we are called "Funkytown" because of all the manure on all our dirt roads.

I agree that FW doesnt have MUCH of a nightlife.And that sucks.But,seriously,does everyone inside Dallas county look at everyone in Tarrant county as "un-hip"?You know ,as that tag along,red headed,canadian,little step brother.

When I'm in conversation with folks on that side of DFW,its always the ones that arent from Dallas that absolutely hate FW.Mostly because no one is cool like people are cool in Dallas.Its funny.

Oh'and nothing funky about "Cowtown",we are called "Funkytown" because of all the manure on all our dirt roads.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate FW. I just find it to be very much like a small town, not a city at all. And that's fine if you like small towns...which I don't. And not being from Texas, I don't know how Dallas' folk feel about FW. I briefly visited the FW forum and people there seem to be really think Dallasites look down on FW. But I will tell you this, I don't think I've ever heard anyone from Dallas really say anthing about FW. And I have two really good friends in FW which is why I visit every now and them. They're really nice guys and are cool to me, but to be honest, I've never considered myself to be cool or hip, I'm just me. And since most of my DFW friends are more or less similar to me, they're probably not that cool or hip either. It just seemed to me that particular lounge was trying to be something it and the crowd simply wasn't.

The origin of the word "funk" in American culture has very little to do with cow crap...but that doesn't necessarily mean that FW isn't deserving of the "funkytown" title, given its history.

My new years resolution (or prayer,) is that most of the Dallas posters would stop littering our forum. This used to be a great place to learn and debate, it's now turning into a city vs city hodge podge.

Some of you here may have noticed that we are losing many of our most valuable posters, and this crap is one of the reasons why. Those of us that have valued HAIF need to stop these pointless debates (I'm guilty to,) they are killing this forum.

My new years resolution (or prayer,) is that most of the Dallas posters would stop littering our forum. This used to be a great place to learn and debate, it's now turning into a city vs city hodge podge.

Some of you here may have noticed that we are losing many of our most valuable posters, and this crap is one of the reasons why. Those of us that have valued HAIF need to stop these pointless debates (I'm guilty to,) they are killing this forum.

Don't dare put all the blame on Dallas posters. I've said several times I thought this thread was to discuss urban issues, yet every thead turns into the same Dallas v. Houston crap. And the Houston posters are just as much to blame. Who posted pictures of Houston after someone posted some beautiful photos of Dallas on another thread, as if it were some competition??

And my comments about FW were just my observations/opinions. And since this is the Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex section of the forum and I live in Dallas and Texastrill lives in FW, I can't think of a better place to discuss my opinions about FW. If my posts sounded as if to demean FW I apologize, that was not my intention, as I mainly focused on the nightlife, I don't think I attacked the city at all and made little, if any , real comparison to Dallas.

You're so predictable. Do you have anything substantive to offer that comports with this thread's topic? If not, may I suggest that you take your issues/concerns up with the administrator(s) of this forum. . .maybe you can persuade them to eliminate the "Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex" sub-forum altogether. Good luck!

I take responsibilty for my part in some of the flame wars in the past, but some of the Dallasites are to blame too. They tend to get overly sensitive when you criticize any part of their city. It's almost like they think their every aspect of their city is perfect and there's nothing that could be done better. We on HAIF criticize our own city countless times. How is Dallas exempt? (Especially on a Houston forum.) I look on dallasmetropolis.com all the time and they don't talk about Houston as much. Whenever Houston is mentioned, there's some positive mentioned and some negative. But Dallasmetopolis doesn't have us Houstonians breathing down their neck on every negative post that's made about Houston, thus their website can be disguised as " A website that's more mature or civil than HAIF".

Although my review of Dallas wasn't 100% positive, i still think it was overall a positive review. This isn't my first time going to Dallas but i wanted to give a more recent review of my impressions this last time i went. Dallas to me never gave the impression of a city with a real busy and active nightlife and my impression still hasn't changed. I still think Houston's activity is easier to find because of our Commercial BLVDS. I will visit Greenville AVE next time though.

I still don't know what everyone is trippin' about because i think Dallas overall is more progressive than Houston. That's mainly because Dallas has been successful in bringing in Mass Transit and TOD while Houston is stil struggles to get it implemented. But there are better things i like about Houston such as: nightlife, skylines, beaches, and etc. I think some people should respect that there are people that think Dallas doesn't rank over Houston in everthing.

Peace Out!!!

Tierwestah "Tommy" Jones

I also wasnt trying to start anything .I was just posting about my observations.I'll admit FW is no Dallas Or Houston.I'm comfortable with that.Troyboy nothing you said hurt my feelings.No one makes these people read the posts at this sub-forum.Why not throw a little FW into the mix?

Don't dare put all the blame on Dallas posters. I've said several times I thought this thread was to discuss urban issues, yet every thead turns into the same Dallas v. Houston crap.

First of all, if you would actually read my post you would notice that I said "most of the Dallas posters". I have participated in the flame wars from time to time but have grown tired of the child like debate that comes from them. Of all my times on the Dallas forum, I haven't once noticed a Houstonian startng a flame war. On the other hand, "most" Dallasites come here and pollute what was once a great forum.

I won't address 713 to 214 as he is generally impossible to communicate with, but to all of the rest of the Dallas posters, and Houston posters for that matter..... Please stop this rediculous and pointles debating, were losing our forum. Now while I wait for 713 to 214's comment I'll hope that this get's through to some.

I take responsibilty for my part in some of the flame wars in the past, but some of the Dallasites are to blame too. They tend to get overly sensitive when you criticize any part of their city. It's almost like they think their every aspect of their city is perfect and there's nothing that could be done better. We on HAIF criticize our own city countless times. How is Dallas exempt? (Especially on a Houston forum.) I look on dallasmetropolis.com all the time and they don't talk about Houston as much. Whenever Houston is mentioned, there's some positive mentioned and some negative. But Dallasmetopolis doesn't have us Houstonians breathing down their neck on every negative post that's made about Houston, thus their website can be disguised as " A website that's more mature or civil than HAIF".

Although my review of Dallas wasn't 100% positive, i still think it was overall a positive review. This isn't my first time going to Dallas but i wanted to give a more recent review of my impressions this last time i went. Dallas to me never gave the impression of a city with a real busy and active nightlife and my impression still hasn't changed. I still think Houston's activity is easier to find because of our Commercial BLVDS. I will visit Greenville AVE next time though.

I still don't know what everyone is trippin' about because i think Dallas overall is more progressive than Houston. That's mainly because Dallas has been successful in bringing in Mass Transit and TOD while Houston is stil struggles to get it implemented. But there are better things i like about Houston such as: nightlife, skylines, beaches, and etc. I think some people should respect that there are people that think Dallas doesn't rank over Houston in everthing.

Peace Out!!!

Tierwestah "Tommy" Jones

Where are the beaches in Houston?The only part of the city I havent spent much time in would be the Northeast.Could they be there?Could I get some directions?I never noticed any beaches in the rest of the city.I'll be heading to Beaumont pretty soon,and I would like to visit one of Houstons beaches.

Where are the beaches in Houston?The only part of the city I havent spent much time in would be the Northeast.Could they be there?Could I get some directions?I never noticed any beaches in the rest of the city.I'll be heading to Beaumont pretty soon,and I would like to visit one of Houstons beaches.

There's no beaches IN the city of Houston, but the beaches are just a short 30-45 min drive away. Just shoot straight down I-45 to Galveston or In Bay Area Houston/Clearlake City/Nasa/Kemah areas. while they don't have the Florida or California reputation, they are an assett to the city. Also developers area starting to realize the beaches potential as much building that has been going on in Galveston and the Endeavour and other new Condos going up near Kemah.

This type of sensless comment is exactly what I'm talking about. By the way, Galveston happens to be in the Houston metro, just like Ft Worth is in the Dallas metro. You can't have it two way's Trill.

This type of sensless comment is exactly what I'm talking about. By the way, Galveston happens to be in the Houston metro, just like Ft Worth is in the Dallas metro. You can't have it two way's Trill.

And what two ways would that be?Most folks on here include the beaches as part of Houston's attractions and never mention the metro part about it.If yall would be as specific as y'all would want the Dallas posters to be,there would be no debate or whatever.

And what two ways would that be?Most folks on here include the beaches as part of Houston's attractions and never mention the metro part about it.If yall would be as specific as y'all would want the Dallas posters to be,there would be no debate or whatever.

I'm not going to argue this Trill, it's pointless. You guy's are looking for a fight, and I'm not willing.

I'm not going to argue this Trill, it's pointless. You guy's are looking for a fight, and I'm not willing.

Like I said before,no one makes anyone else read or post in this sub-forum.And I'm not looking for a fight,look around this forum,I'm the underdog in the Dallas/Houston junkyard. :ph34r:

Like I said before,no one makes anyone else read or post in this sub-forum.And I'm not looking for a fight,look around this forum,I'm the underdog in the Dallas/Houston junkyard. :ph34r:

Yas trill, we all have the power to control what we read, however my point earlier today was addressing the loss of quality on this forum due to exactly this. I guess we'll see in time if it ever returns to what it once was.

Yas trill, we all have the power to control what we read, however my point earlier today was addressing the loss of quality on this forum due to exactly this. I guess we'll see in time if it ever returns to what it once was.

I don't mean to jump in Gary ........but Texas Trill kinda has a point there. Whenever the Dallas posters post anything, we do have to be very specific on everything......We don't want people to think that dallas has 6million people.....so fair is fair. :mellow:

I don't mean to jump in Gary ........but Texas Trill kinda has a point there. Whenever the Dallas posters post anything, we do have to be very specific on everything......We don't want people to think that dallas has 6million people.....so fair is fair. :mellow:

Ok guy's, point taken. There is no hope for my initial post to come to pass, I was simply asking for some maturity on both ends which is obviously to much to ask. I will say that I understand a healthy rivalry, but the consistency of flame wars here has gone way beyond that and have become trivial at best.

Honestly Gary. Before you began your inane rant, I was somewhat enjoying this thread (except for some of the mindless arguing between 713 to 214 and tierwestah). Unfortunately, you've butted in and blown up this thread with your little prayer for Dallas posters to go away. In my opinion, you're a cancer to the DFW sub-forum. You're comments come off as insecure and defensive of Houston, and you always attack not just the city of Dallas but the posters supporting Dallas (Dallasites or not).

I don't post very often in threads because I enjoy reading and learning from other people's various perspectives and experiences in both cities. I tend to post when comments are made that anger me. And I'm sure you've noticed, Gary, that many of my posts are directed towards you. Like always, my comments are not personal attacks. I just feel that sometimes, but NOT ALWAYS, you're criticisms of certain posts are just as erroneous as those you cite.

Honestly Gary. Before you began your inane rant, I was somewhat enjoying this thread (except for some of the mindless arguing between 713 to 214 and tierwestah). Unfortunately, you've butted in and blown up this thread with your little prayer for Dallas posters to go away. In my opinion, you're a cancer to the DFW sub-forum. You're comments come off as insecure and defensive of Houston, and you always attack not just the city of Dallas but the posters supporting Dallas (Dallasites or not).

Boy i feel like I'm talking to myself. If you would re-read my initial post you would find that I not only blamed Dallasites but myself and some Houston posters as well. Now as far as being a cancer to the DFW subforum I'm confused as I have never made one post. Maybe you could elaborate. <_<

If you truly believe that the Dallas/Houston threads here are a learning experience, I'm confused. With few exceptions they are bash sessions first and foremost. Why is that? As i mentioned, I challenge anyone to find Houstonians chiming in on the DFW forum as you guy's do here. I constantly hear about my and other Houstonians insecurities with regards to Dallas, yet it's the Dallas posters who generally chime in. I find that interesting.

This thread initially started as one's impression of Dallas, yet as always it has turned into a war. What's the point? Certainly you can logically deduce this fact.

I don't post very often in threads because I enjoy reading and learning from other people's various perspectives and experiences in both cities. I tend to post when comments are made that anger me. And I'm sure you've noticed, Gary, that many of my posts are directed towards you. Like always, my comments are not personal attacks. I just feel that sometimes, but NOT ALWAYS, you're criticisms of certain posts are just as erroneous as those you cite.

Listen my friend, there are many wars going on here that have nothing to do with me, so please don't use me as your subject matter. If you would check the threads of most of these wars you would find this to be true. Don't let your anger get the best of you. Again, how you can learn from these threads is beyond me, and as far as you not throwing out personal attacks, I suggest you read your first paragraph.

Boy i feel like I'm talking to myself. If you would re-read my initial post you would find that I not only blamed Dallasites but myself and some Houston posters as well. Now as far as being a cancer to the DFW subforum I'm confused as I have never made one post. Maybe you could elaborate. <_<

If you truly believe that the Dallas/Houston threads here are a learning experience, I'm confused. With few exceptions they are bash sessions first and foremost. Why is that? As i mentioned, I challenge anyone to find Houstonians chiming in on the DFW forum as you guy's do here. I constantly hear about my and other Houstonians insecurities with regards to Dallas, yet it's the Dallas posters who generally chime in. I find that interesting.

This thread initially started as one's impression of Dallas, yet as always it has turned into a war. What's the point? Certainly you can logically deduce this fact.

Listen my friend, there are many wars going on here that have nothing to do with me, so please don't use me as your subject matter. If you would check the threads of most of these wars you would find this to be true. Don't let your anger get the best of you. Again, how you can learn from these threads is beyond me, and as far as you not throwing out personal attacks, I suggest you read your first paragraph.

First, when I said the DFW subforum, I was indicating this very subforum that we're both posting in right now.

Gary, only those of us who are insecure here on this forum see everything as bashing, badmouthing, dissing, etc. I enjoy reading people's claims and then the rebuttals and supporting statements made to affirm or deny those claims. Many times it does turn into a flame war, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time, I stop reading when folks like dallasboi, midtowncoog, 713 to 214, or houstonfella blurt in something blatantly biased and/or uninformed. Sometimes I continue to read those posts simply for their comedic/entertainment value.

The Dallas forum doesn't really have a good subforum for non-DFW items. It's there, but rarely are posts made in that subforum. That's just the way the forum was initially designed. HAIF has a much better orgainzed set of subforums for issues within and without Houston.

In my opinion, the "war" in this thread started when 713 to 214 made a few dumb comments in his refutation to tierwestah's nightlife review. Those commest aside, this thread really didn't get out of hand until you chimed in. That is why I made a comment. I was learning something about both cities by filtering the initial posts in this thread. Like I said before, you're little "prayer" blew this thing up. The thread probably needs to be locked now....

I respectfully ask that you keep my name out of your own little feud with Gary. Thanks. Moreover, try following some of my earlier advice, and just add something substantive to the discussion of this thread's topic. Thanks, again! My list is coming as I promised earlier.

I respectfully ask that you keep my name out of your own little feud with Gary. Thanks. Moreover, try following some of my earlier advice, and just add something substantive to the discussion of this thread's topic. Thanks, again! My list is coming as I promised earlier.

Well hurry up with it already! And don't forget some pics of Greenville Avenue at night :lol:

Very intuitive. Be cool as a signature:

First, when I said the DFW subforum, I was indicating this very subforum that we're both posting in right now.

Gary, only those of us who are insecure here on this forum see everything as bashing, badmouthing, dissing, etc. I enjoy reading people's claims and then the rebuttals and supporting statements made to affirm or deny those claims. Many times it does turn into a flame war, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time, I stop reading when folks like dallasboi, midtowncoog, 713 to 214, or houstonfella blurt in something blatantly biased and/or uninformed. Sometimes I continue to read those posts simply for their comedic/entertainment value.

The Dallas forum doesn't really have a good subforum for non-DFW items. It's there, but rarely are posts made in that subforum. That's just the way the forum was initially designed. HAIF has a much better orgainzed set of subforums for issues within and without Houston.

In my opinion, the "war" in this thread started when 713 to 214 made a few dumb comments in his refutation to tierwestah's nightlife review. Those commest aside, this thread really didn't get out of hand until you chimed in. That is why I made a comment. I was learning something about both cities by filtering the initial posts in this thread. Like I said before, you're little "prayer" blew this thing up. The thread probably needs to be locked now....

I hear you, Gary. That's why I've unsubscribed to most of the threads and forums on HAIF. It seems to have degenerated into an endless stream of redundant statisticians, Jeckyll and Hydes and cut and paste plagiarists who post merely to hear their own voices within endless, pointless debates. It's too bad we've deginerated to this state.

Well, I'll take your comment as gentle sarcasm because I think I know that you know there are no beaches in the City of Houston. However, incase you can't find them, stay on 45S until you drive into the Gulf...and there you are! :P

If I may offer my opinion --

Sometimes the unabashed Houston boosterism on here is what I believe ruins this forum. I know that your intentions are good, Gary, but it sometimes seems like an objective, dissenting opinion on Houston is a trigger for you, Houstonfella, Montrose1100 (still on ignore, by the way) DJ what's his name, Pumawhat's his name and others to start in on some really unbelievable boasts. Often I read these kinds of posts as provincial rants that actually have the opposite effect from their intended purpose. I think they make Houstonians seem insecure and simple.

This forum began as an architectural forum. A big part of architectural study is discussion of what works and doesn't work in a city and yes -- comparisons of cities. I think comparisons of Dallas and Houston are pretty interesting, considering how similar both are. The subtle differences and competitive nature of the discussion is part of the dynamic, I think.

I remember a time when there were fewer constraints on these kinds of debates and Dallasites had to flame Houston topics just to be heard. That's the reason the Dallas sub-forum was created. Back then, I think HAIF was much better than even the period you describe as its best time.

You've called me out as a Dallas booster before, when I was only making an observation of one of the ways I felt Dallas was doing a very good job (there are many). Anyone who knows where my heart is, knows I love Houston first and foremost, though. I dig bashing Dallas sometimes, too, and welcome anyone to prove what I say is wrong about it. I lived there a few years back and know a bit about it.

Rather than getting worked up in a Dallas sub-forum, maybe you should ask yourself why these Dallas posters are coming to a Houston site to preach their gospel. Have you ever felt the need to go to the Dallas discussions and post? I haven't. I go read to keep up with what's going on in Dallas, but I don't engage in any crap over there. I think they're the ones who are insecure and feel like they have something to prove.

Fact is that Houston and Dallas are quite middle-of-the-road when it comes to creating a "sense of place". The nightlife in both cities -- if it really matters -- is about average as big cities go, which is as it should be. Dallas is more tourist-friendly. Houston is more ecclectic. I think Houston gets a slight edge in the lounge/club department, while Dallas does live music and the casual bar scene a little better. Houston's edge is in restaurants -- ours outclass Dallas' by a long shot. Dallas takes an edge in hotels (which have their own bars and restaurants, but are mostly populated by out-of-towners). Houston's performing arts scene is better than Dallas', but Dallas' may take over shortly. Neither city is as interesting as it should be in this respect. Dallas is a bigger sports town than Houston is. That's because we're in football country and the Cowboys are football royalty. If we were located in a more baseball-oriented part of the country, that role would be reversed somewhat. I mention this because night games are a part of the nightlife of a city. Houston wins in this regard, because you can actually go to a game, a bar, a club, or whatever here, in one single stop. Why? because you can wear nice clothes to the indoor stadium and walk or ride to a nightlife district afterwards. Dallas can do this only for Mavs or Stars games. and the walkable nightlife district is still getting started.

Does it really matter, though? No, but it is fun to analyze and debate it.

Archived