The Woodlands Crossing Shopping Center

Mom22Blessings

Is this in line with George Mitchells Woodlands master plan? I would hate to see that plan violated because it was so well done. Commercial construction is rare and not ussually allowed in The Woodlands despite the large population (75,000), so that is a reason for the sometimes odd commercial construction dynamics.

Is this in line with George Mitchells Woodlands master plan? I would hate to see that plan violated because it was so well done. Commercial construction is rare and not ussually allowed in The Woodlands despite the large population (75,000), so that is a reason for the sometimes odd commercial construction dynamics.

There is actually commercial construction throughout The Woodlands. It is very much part of the master plan and has worked well.

this is what the market research post card was about earlier in the year, i bet. wild oats is already under construction. it seems like they took awhile to make the announcement. i wonder why.

about commercial development. yes, there is limited commercial development in each village. this not only provides convenience for residents, but a solid customer base for businesses.

The Woodlands has a strategy to discreetly embed commercial centers within the community. This works well if the entire center is not stripped of trees, like has been done with the area being discussed here. The developer will put trees in after the construction has been compeleted, but he began with a natural plot of land that had many trees on it.

Additionally there are plots designated for multiple use, such as gas stations, day care centers, fast food places, etc. The strip centers are more welcome to the community than the multi-use plots. The centers are well planned where the multi-use plots tend to bring the residents unwanted surprises.

But to stay on the topic, the natural foods place is very welcome. We looked at the effect of night movement of stock and other potentially annoying operational practices that might affect nearby neighbors since the housing areas existed prior to the development of this store and its sister stores.

• 2 months later...

i shouldn't say who i heard it from, she might stop telling me these nice little tidbits. i have a friend who is involved in promoting business relations in the woodlands. she is privy to new business activity in the woodlands in and around public disclosure dates; sometimes before, sometimes about the same time as public announcements.

it is true that the merger does not necessarily mean that all wild oats will become whole foods. however, my source has not been wrong yet. let me know if you find out otherwise.

The villages have to conform to a master plan. The acquisition by Whloe Foods was not a merger but a purchase of stock byt Whole Foods. Therfore, the store is a Whole Foods store but not as far as I know, a Whole Foods store outright. Whole Foods has committed to improving the brand of their new acquisition, but it is my understanding that there is one and only one major grocery store allowed in each village by that plan. I believe the Initial Land Use Designation will prevent anything near the size of a major grocery store being placed there. Those constraints are filed already I think. Personally I know of no change in the permit nor the plan. Wild Oats remains on the plan but how it is organized and architected is probably affected tby the Whole Foods buyout. Technically, onw can say a Whole Foods is being put there, but logically, I can not see Whole Foods as we know it being constructed. There are reasons for keeping the plan as it is. One of those reasons is the effect of a major grocery store on the nearby residences. The other is an agreement made with the other grocery stores. I see major hurdles not yet jumped if someone is planning to change thie land use designation.

Whole Foods is not the size of a "major" grocery. Its perhaps about 1/3 of the size and its a specialty store. I think the "special" part of it would make it fly if one had to stick to the "original concept" and the original restraints of the Woodlands. But this operating company doesn't seem overly concerned about the "original" concepts.

But I hope you all get it, fresh produce is always a plus.

competitive pricing on organic and specialty items wouldn't hurt either. everyone seems to be jumping on the organic bandwagon. maybe the presence of whole foods will create some competition for more popular organic and specialty items.

All the ones I have been to lately (only two) have been at least as large as a regular Kroger. I do not know how they could build one smaller and still call it a Whole Foods. I believe some of the older ones may be smaller however, like on Richmond. I have been to that one only once. To be a total Whole Foods, let's see, maybe we can count the types of food, a fresh venegtable market, a fish and meat market, wine market, groiceries markey containing cereals and dry foods, canned foods, breads, soups,ready-to-go salads, prepared food delicatesan, cheese market, hmmm, I am missing a lot but these come to my mind first. I remember being able to get everything that a Randalls or Krogers has, but at higher prices. I liked the prepared healthy foods and have been looking forward to Wild Oats for that difference in local shopping diversity. Randalls has taken a new approach to a market but cannot meet up to the Whole Foods shopping experience.

The model of a grocery store has a large volume of gods being stocked, large trucks delivering them, lots of people in and out, lots of refuse to be discarded. Most of the truck and refuse activity is typically in the night when restocking and cleaning occurs. That generates noise and lights.

All the ones I have been to lately (only two) have been at least as large as a regular Kroger. I do not know how they could build one smaller and still call it a Whole Foods. I believe some of the older ones may be smaller however, like on Richmond. I have been to that one only once. To be a total Whole Foods, let's see, maybe we can count the types of food, a fresh venegtable market, a fish and meat market, wine market, groiceries markey containing cereals and dry foods, canned foods, breads, soups,ready-to-go salads, prepared food delicatesan, cheese market, hmmm, I am missing a lot but these come to my mind first. I remember being able to get everything that a Randalls or Krogers has, but at higher prices. I liked the prepared healthy foods and have been looking forward to Wild Oats for that difference in local shopping diversity. Randalls has taken a new approach to a market but cannot meet up to the Whole Foods shopping experience.

The model of a grocery store has a large volume of gods being stocked, large trucks delivering them, lots of people in and out, lots of refuse to be discarded. Most of the truck and refuse activity is typically in the night when restocking and cleaning occurs. That generates noise and lights.

i can't help myself.........stocked gods? where can i get one? i'm completely out of venegtables and should get some groiceries from my local markey. :ph34r:

guess it depends who you know............ ;)

hahaha .. yeah I guess the keys do not operate as you tell them sometimes. This Linux system gets me too often. Fun to have a controversial statement. Could never have thought it up with out the keyboard!

I just called Wild Oats and they said that since the completion date of the project is so far in advance that they have no idea what is going to happen. Whole Foods will complete the buyout long before the date and they (WO) never signed a contract so it is up to Whole Foods.

UGH!!!!!

I have serious doubts about there being a WF or WO there.

I just called Wild Oats and they said that since the completion date of the project is so far in advance that they have no idea what is going to happen. Whole Foods will complete the buyout long before the date and they (WO) never signed a contract so it is up to Whole Foods.

UGH!!!!!

I have serious doubts about there being a WF or WO there.

Yes, but the realty company has told us in the past two weeks that the construction of the Wilds Oats is well underway. If there are any changes to the plan, they are not apparent. Whole Foods openly said they were going to not only support the Wild Oats brand, but improve it with the Whole Foods success of retailing. I see no reason at this time to doubt the outcome. I see a store coming.

I found the following to be interesting reading from the north. A flagship Whole Foods in Minneapolis will be about twice the size of the Wild Oats here.

Whole Foods, "luxury" condo development planned:

This just in: Another condo development proposal has been unveiled in Minneapolis. But, hey, this one is notable for a couple of reasons.

First, the development includes a Whole Foods, bringing a third proposed grocery store downtown. Second, it's going on what has been the the Jaguar dealership site for more than 40 years. That site has long been a potential backup for a Twins Stadium, but apparently that fading prospect is finally no more.

From the press release:

"Milliken Development Group today announced it has purchased the property to develop a $180 million mixed-use project in the heart of Minneapolis occupying an entire city block on the corner of Washington and Hennepin Ave. South, featuring a 76,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market, 250 luxury condos and 6,500 square feet of retail space.

Groundbreaking will begin in spring 2007 for the project tentatively named The Marketplace Tower, with construction projected to take approximately two years. Completion is expected by spring 2009."

I may not be remember the location right, but isn't the new high rise loft on Post Oak/SanFelipe (where Eatzi's iswas) supposed to have a Whole Foods anchoring the corner? I remember being shocked because there is one right on Woodway. Maybe I have the location wrong.

I may not be remember the location right, but isn't the new high rise loft on Post Oak/SanFelipe (where Eatzi's iswas) supposed to have a Whole Foods anchoring the corner? I remember being shocked because there is one right on Woodway. Maybe I have the location wrong.

Houston (Post Oak)

Whole Foods Market

Post Oak & San Felipe

Houston, TX

78,000 sq. ft.

Relocation. Opening date to be announced.

This is the same size store as in Minneapolis.

• 5 months later...

i noticed the wild oats purchase by whole food has been approved by the ftc. i wonder if our store will still be a wild oats?

i found some info at the wild oats website:

Will my Wild Oats or Capers store continue to be a Wild Oats or Capers even after the merger?

Whole Foods plans to continue to operate our Wild Oats and Capers Community Market stores and, in fact, will make significant capital investments to remodel acquired stores before re-branding them as Whole Foods Market stores. Before making any decisions, Whole Foods will review each store individually to see where it fits in the overall plan.

In some areas, remodeling and re-branding or relocating stores will happen quickly; in others, the change will happen over time, and is expected to take up to two years.

Will you be closing any stores?

We don

In some areas, remodeling and re-branding or relocating stores will happen quickly; in others, the change will happen over time, and is expected to take up to two years.

this tells me that many wild oats stores will become whole foods. i think that which "brand" we have will be determined by where they are on the time-line production of this location. if it is early enough in the game, i think whole foods would rather have their "brand" represented.

Archived