Houston's Most Romantic Views

editor

I'm putting this in the Photos section because they're pictures from your mind.

I'm looking for ideas for Houston's Most Romantic Views. Off the top of my head:

The Waterwall from beneath the oaks

Downtown at night from Eleanor Tinsley Park

Downtown from the Spindletop restaurant (in the Hyatt)

The ships in Galveston Bay from the Texas City Dike.

Any other suggestions?

The ships in Galveston Bay from the Texas City Dike.

Same thing but maybe from Kemah and/or near the Momument Inn restaurant?

and maybe...

Downtown from Scott Gertner's Skybar

Sesquitenal Park Waterway

Downtown from King Bisquit dining room

Fountain or Hill at Herman Park

I've had good fortune atop certain unguarded parking garages...but I won't say which ones.

Word of warning, though: if you're engaged in any "funny business" ;), be familiar with which towers overlooking your location are residential and which are commercial. Try to plan around the occupants' working/waking hours so as to avoid putting on a show. Also check for the location and position of security cameras.

REEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY ? ? ? Niche, you cad..............what was his name you little devil ? :blush:

What is the name of the restaurant that spins around on top of the skyscraper downtown ? I would think THAT would be very romantic.

I've had good fortune atop certain unguarded parking garages...but I won't say which ones.

Word of warning, though: if you're engaged in any "funny business" ;), be familiar with which towers overlooking your location are residential and which are commercial. Try to plan around the occupants' working/waking hours so as to avoid putting on a show. Also check for the location and position of security cameras.

..Or just move out from your mom's basement so you don't have that problem ^_^ I kid, I kid, I tease !!!

Editor already suggested that one. It is Spindletop.

Apologies, I didn't see the word SPindletop for some reason, or it would have clicked in my head. For some reason I was thinking the restaurant was named "The Top of The World." I think that is in New York though.

Apologies, I didn't see the word SPindletop for some reason, or it would have clicked in my head. For some reason I was thinking the restaurant was named "The Top of The World." I think that is in New York though.

Top of the World is in the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.

Maybe you were thinking Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel) in San Francisco?

Top of the World is in the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.

Maybe you were thinking Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel) in San Francisco?

No, I think i just have too much mishmosh in my brain. I just saw the movie 'Domino' night before last, and that is where i heard the name of that restaurant, the final scene is in that restaurant. Mystery solved.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow. It only took three posts for one of the usual suspects to turn a nice thread into something dirty.

Thanks for contributing nothing to this thread.

Wow. It only took three posts for one of the usual suspects to turn a nice thread into something dirty.

Excuse me. I'll delete that, and can only hope that others will remove their replies.

Very sorry.

Usual suspects??? Me? :huh: If I had a tail, it'd be tucked between my legs.

Any other suggestions?

Ok, I think I've got something a bit more constructive this time around.

The trails along the south side of the Buffalo Bayou from about York to Jensen make for a nice hike, complete with a few hidden vistas and 19th century industrial ruins. The experience can be especially fruitful if your date likes wild blackberries and doesn't mind roughing it where sidewalks haven't yet been paved.

I did see signs of gang activity along the trail in the form of grafitti marking 2nd Ward turf. There are also homeless guys that camp out under the Jensen Street bridge. So carrying a concealed weapon (with permit) probably isn't a bad idea. It'll also make your date feel protected in your presence...or, given the sense of remoteness, really threatened. I guess it depends on how you come across. That probably applies to Tranquility Park, too.

WTF?!? The topic is romantic views...and he's talking about places to get it on...gosh...I'd say that's pretty on-topic. I thought it was a worthwhile contribution...I'll certainly keep downtown garages in mind next time I want to get it on.

WTF?!? The topic is romantic views...and he's talking about places to get it on...gosh...I'd say that's pretty on-topic. I thought it was a worthwhile contribution...I'll certainly keep downtown garages in mind next time I want to get it on.

All filthiness aside, for which I'm very sorry...it was definitely bad form...the tops of certain parking garages make for very romantic locales where tailgate picnics are concerned. Just make sure to clear it with the owner or management, or leave if you're asked to.

An evening on a blanket looking at the stars and listening to the symphony at Miller Theatre.

A stroll across the pedestrian bridge behind the Hobby late at night.

My best friend's Japanese Koi pond and garden and this:bed07.jpg which is a private venue not available to my fellow posters B)

Clear Lake Park is nice

That reminds me. Taking a two-person kayak around Armand Bayou is a nice setting, but then again it is a well-known attraction, so it isn't necessarily a private one. In my book, romantic means isolated, whether by virtue of nature or by sheer glass, steel, and concrete. So if you're willing to make a drive, just use topographic maps and aerial photos from Google Earth to identify bits of the Texas gulf coast that are isolated and that have plenty of small bare islands of bleached-white oyster shells (which means that high tide usually leaves them above sea level). They're frequently no more than 1,000sf in size, and are just barely above sea level, so also be sure to check the weather forecast. You don't want to be on one of these when there are whitecaps at high tide. Rent a two-person ocean kayak, pack in some camping gear, and make your way out to one. Be sure to pack in a few adult beverages if that's your preference, set up camp on an oyster-shell island, and watch that salmon-pink sunset that Marty was talking about.

It also makes for a better waterfront camping experience than on the beach because there's no sand blowing at you in the wind.

The area around Rockport has a few such places of which I'm aware and have experienced, but you also might find a few near Palacios and coastal Brazoria County. I've been meaning to try and explore islands off of Smith Point, in Galveston Bay, as well.

Smith Point, by the way, is even better than the Texas City dike and also isn't as grimey. If you know Galveston Bay really well, you can identify the entire span between Baytown and Galveston within one panorama. It isn't just a sunrise/sunset kind of place, either. At night, the glow from the refineries and the lone Galveston highrise keeps things interesting.

You are incorrect. "Getting it on" is not what this topic is about.

Archived