Fifth Ward Urban Redevelopment Plan

lockmat

The document is here

It's worth the read. If you haven't, I would strongly consider it.

Although I would bet that this area doesn't affect most of us directly, it is still very important for those close to that area and obviously the ones living in it. As a part of the city of Houston, I would hope everyone would be concerned for that community.

The report is not a hard read and very detailed with interesting and relevant information.

I'm very encouraged that there is a plan for this community and that it will have the potential to contribute to the communities and Houston in general even more.

With the low income that most residents have, I was surprised that they didn't want an even more walkable neighborhood and instead 'voted' for a more auto-centered one. I don't know what percentage of them own cars, but it seems like a good majority would not, and would therefore want a neighborhood that wouldn't require one.

Have any of you seen improvments made since this report was published in 2005? What are y'alls thoughts?

With the low income that most residents have, I was surprised that they didn't want an even more walkable neighborhood and instead 'voted' for a more auto-centered one. I don't know what percentage of them own cars, but it seems like a good majority would not, and would therefore want a neighborhood that wouldn't require one.

Have any of you seen improvments made since this report was published in 2005? What are y'alls thoughts?

It's pretty bleak in the 5th. They aren't getting nearly any new retail services, and what exists isn't much to speak of, so autos and busses are probably the best way for them to get to neighborhoods that do have those services. Moreover, this is a part of town with a really high crime rate (a.k.a. "Bloody 5th"), so walking probably isn't a favorite transportation option for many folks.

Perhaps another, more critical thing about this matter, is that a lot of elderly black residents see what has happened in Midtown (formerly a part of 3rd Ward) and what is starting to happen in what is currently known as the 3rd Ward, and they don't much care for the prospect of rising rents, demolition activity, and townhomes occupied by yuppies. They just want their older suburban-style houses and shotgun shacks to be kept just the way that they've always been. They want familiarity and they want affordability. This isn't always true of the younger generations, but then the younger generations don't generate a lot of turnout at the City's meetings because they don't have the extra time or the same level of interest.

The fact of the matter, though, is that this document has no teeth. It cannot be enforced in any manner. And not only is it useless within the public sector, but the private sector can't use it because it doesn't recognize costs of anything. For instance, people voted that they find the homes with side access and garages in back to be the most appealing, but driveways of that length are also the most expensive. Likewise, 25-foot setbacks require a lot more land, also expensive. It is very easy for the citizens of a neighborhood to identify what they want; what they can afford and with what priority is another matter altogether.

The document also seems to assume that there will be a market for new construction. Urban planning of this sort isn't relevant without an infusion of money for new construction or redevelopment...and Section 8, bond, and tax credits can only get the neighborhood so far. There are parts of the 5th that are reasonably close to downtown Houston, but there's so much crappy housing, including a fairly large component of Section 8 apartments, that redevelopment of the area is going to be very slow in coming. I had the option to assume ownership of a 5,000 square foot lot on Market Street in the 5th, but it was only a couple of blocks from Section 8 and also had outstanding leins on it because the family that had owned it had just been allowing the City to mow it and occasionally haul off dumped trash for many years. It wasn't worth the trouble. There are plenty of lots and abandoned houses in similar situations, and worse, as well.

I can't download the report (dial-up here, and it's saying it will take 44 minutes to download 18 megs :o ), but going by Niche's comments, I'm always somewhat mystified when residents are against gentrification. Obviously it can be a big problem for people who are able to live cheaply under current conditions but are at risk for having to move for redevelopment. But still, if it's a poor, high-crime neighborhood, it seems that "yuppie" townhouses are a net benefit. There was that debate for a long time in the Fourth Ward. That neighborhood might hardly be a shining example of urban redevelopment, but certainly it is better than it was ten years ago.

I can't download the report (dial-up here, and it's saying it will take 44 minutes to download 18 megs :o ), but going by Niche's comments, I'm always somewhat mystified when residents are against gentrification. Obviously it can be a big problem for people who are able to live cheaply under current conditions but are at risk for having to move for redevelopment. But still, if it's a poor, high-crime neighborhood, it seems that "yuppie" townhouses are a net benefit. There was that debate for a long time in the Fourth Ward. That neighborhood might hardly be a shining example of urban redevelopment, but certainly it is better than it was ten years ago.

They're actually redeveloping it for the people who already live in that area. I will try and quote some of the highlights of the report.

Purpose

The Urban Redevelopment Plan (Plan) addresses neighborhood revitalization by returning abandoned tax delinquent properties (See Map 1.1) to productive use while providing an increase in affordable housing opportunities. The Plan also addresses abating health and safety nuisances, returning abandoned property to tax

revenue producing land, enhancing the quality of life, eliminating blight, spurring economic growth and redevelopment, and ensuring community stability.

The Urban Redevelopment Plan will be utilized by the Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority (LARA) to guide

decision-making when responding to development proposals for the purchase and redevelopment of property acquired through foreclosure. This document outlines recommendations collected from the community via public community workshops to guide the selection of proposals. The recommendations provide a framework for redevelopment and are flexible enough to allow for a range of development scenarios while being responsive to community preferences.

Background

Houston City Council initially approved the creation of the Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority (LARA) in october 1999 to oversee the redevelopment of tax delinquent property. LARA was formed by the City of Houston along with participation from Harris County and HISD.

Study Area

The focus area included in the Fifth Ward Urban Redevelopment Plan is located just northeast of downtown Houston. The area is bound by Elysian to the west, Collingsworth to the north, Sakowitz to the east and Clinton Drive to the south.

Household Income

Fifth Ward incomes are relatively low compared to the citywide median family household income of $48,800. The majority (51%) of residents in Fifth Ward have incomes less than $18,300.

Land Use

Fifty-five percent (55%) of all lots in the study area are singlefamily. One-third of the lots (32%) are vacant. Multi-family, commercial and public/institutional land uses each represent 3 percent of the parcels. Industrial has the smallest percentage with only 2 percent of the number of parcels.

Planning Process

Under the direction of the Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority (LARA), the City of Houston Planning and

Development Department (P&D) hosted a series of community workshops to develop an Urban Redevelopment Plan. The workshops were organized to educate attendees about affordable housing issues and to gather information about their community design preferences. A community preference survey was developed to gather and evaluate the community

I'm always somewhat mystified when residents are against gentrification. Obviously it can be a big problem for people who are able to live cheaply under current conditions but are at risk for having to move for redevelopment. But still, if it's a poor, high-crime neighborhood, it seems that "yuppie" townhouses are a net benefit. There was that debate for a long time in the Fourth Ward. That neighborhood might hardly be a shining example of urban redevelopment, but certainly it is better than it was ten years ago.

Subdue, the people outside of 5th Ward wouldn't mind gentrification, but those inside would.

Think about it. They have a house, probably paid for, that is currently taxed at a value of, say $50k. Gentrification comes along and drives up the cost of land all around, and now their land (and house, but mostly the lot) is worth $200k. Taxes go up. 6% of 50k is $3,000... of 100k is $6,000... of 200k is $12,000. They go from $250 a month toward the tax bill to $500 to $1,000... can't afford the taxes and can't afford to move.

And in your 4th Ward example, it is better for the people who live there now, sure - because they live there. But for those who can't afford it and have had to move to, say, 5th Ward, 4th Ward really sucks.

It's all about perspective...

Personally, I am all for 5th Ward getting nicer. I considered building some 2- and 3-plex units there, half a mile from the new 3-story townhomes, etc, but I couldn't take the $ risk of not getting them rented or sold because of the surrounding area. Too early to speculate. If some change were to actually start taking place, I'd buy a lot and build on it for myself and for investment purposes. Having said that, I don't begrudge those who have no problem with living in the nickel as is.

There are parts of the 5th that are reasonably close to downtown Houston, but there's so much crappy housing, including a fairly large component of Section 8 apartments, that redevelopment of the area is going to be very slow in coming. I had the option to assume ownership of a 5,000 square foot lot on Market Street in the 5th, but it was only a couple of blocks from Section 8 and also had outstanding leins on it because the family that had owned it had just been allowing the City to mow it and occasionally haul off dumped trash for many years. It wasn't worth the trouble. There are plenty of lots and abandoned houses in similar situations, and worse, as well.

The Niche - in your post you pointed out many of the supposed problems or issues of the area however I think there are some other pools of thought out there on the area...

despite your not thinking it was worth the time to take that lot on Market, there are some large savvy investors who have been quietly buying up every large piece of land they can get their hands on in 5th Ward. Frank Liu - Intown Homes, Perry Homes, and Juliet to name a few.

Having lived there myself, its reputation is much worse than what the actual experience is like; I personally purchased a lot in Jun. of 05' for $8500 (50x100) and present market value is $18-21k; over 100% in a year or so, that is great by anyones standards....

True the commercial development & retail is non-existent but so is the case with all of innercity Houston to some degree and that is so because we do not have enough people living in our cities core to support the development.

I agree with many of your thoughts on the plan they/city proposed however one thing I think all Houstonians will have to come to grips with is a more dense inner city and that unfortunately is not a home situated on a lot with a 25ft setback and a detached garage, that sounds all nice and pretty but the reality of the matter is most urban friendly cities have a much more dense urban corridor and like you stated the constituents of that area can't afford houses like the plan calls for so in essence the plan they have crafted is one that will eventually displace them.

All in all...my whole point is to simply bring light to the opportunities present in this area as I think many people don't see it but change has already began for this area; after all what community will be most impacted by the Buffalo Bayou partnership...5th Ward...

The Niche - in your post you pointed out many of the supposed problems or issues of the area however I think there are some other pools of thought out there on the area...

despite your not thinking it was worth the time to take that lot on Market, there are some large savvy investors who have been quietly buying up every large piece of land they can get their hands on in 5th Ward. Frank Liu - Intown Homes, Perry Homes, and Juliet to name a few.

Having lived there myself, its reputation is much worse than what the actual experience is like; I personally purchased a lot in Jun. of 05' for $8500 (50x100) and present market value is $18-21k; over 100% in a year or so, that is great by anyones standards....

To clarify, I'm really talking more about the area north of I-10 and east of US 59; I know that the area south of I-10 is also considered technically 5th Ward, but it is really only the southernmost fringe. If the lot that I was talking about had been down that way, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. But it was on the other side of I-10, had all the problems that I'd mentioned, and had plenty of back taxes and liens. On top of all that, any views of downtown would've been largely obscured by the armpit of the I-10 and US 59 interchange.

Archived