Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land

KimberlySayWhat

• 1 year later...

When I first started reading the article, I thought this was a good thing. But the more I thought about it, the more I was against it.

Reason being is that this could set a precedent about every single suburb of significant size have its own science/Fine arts museum. While this may not seem like a big deal, why should a visiting patron be forced to go all over the Houston Metro Region to view all the works that wish to see? I can understand that this will allow people in sugarland to have an amenity for their kids, but a full fledged museum?

I mean, does it really seem like a good idea to have an "Annex" that far out? Why can't they simply expand the building they currently have?

Why can't they simply expand the building they currently have?

they are fairly "landlocked" at their current location. to build an additional facility of similar size, it would cost way more than 3 million they are paying for this one.

i think rotating exhibits would be fine, but having exhibits there that are more unique would be a negative.

I agree about being landlocked, but there are plenty of open spaces north of them they might consider. After all, that whole area is called the "Museum District". I am sure they have precedence over some of the cookie cutter townhome developers for land.

I agree about being landlocked, but there are plenty of open spaces north of them they might consider.
i can see that but IMO a greater museum would result if the new facility were connected. they could conceivably move their stable earth science type stuff to another facility and use the current facility for rotating type exhibits since the traffic flow is higher with the planetarium, etc all connected.

I still think that all of it needs be put in the same location. I mean I am all about Sugarland growing into a thriving suburb, but it is was it is, a suburb. I think it is important to keep certain things within the proper city that we call Houston.

For example, it drives me nuts that the New York Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, or the Dallas Cowboys play in Irving and eventually further to Arlington. IMO museums, sports teams, major theaters for the arts should all be in the same location and near downtown for the patrons convenience.

I love this idea. Putting all of our museums in one place creates horrible traffic. No one is "forced" to visit a museum's annex, it's just one more option for fun stuff to do with the kids.

Plus, I live half way between the old museum and this new one, so I can easily go to both. That will give my daughter a chance to hear me delicate flower about Sugar Land, which I'm sure will be an important part of her education.

I love this idea. Putting all of our museums in one place creates horrible traffic. No one is "forced" to visit a museum's annex, it's just one more option for fun stuff to do with the kids.

Plus, I live half way between the old museum and this new one, so I can easily go to both. That will give my daughter a chance to hear me delicate flower about Sugar Land, which I'm sure will be an important part of her education.

If you are worried about traffic, then ride the MetroRail that is what it is there for! It is cheaper than parking anyhow.

I think if there's a schedule where exhibits from the central location are rotated out to the annex before they leave town, then that could work. It would give people a chance to see exhibits they might have other wise missed.

According to the article, it is not the traveling exhibits they are worried about:

"Adolph said the Sugar Land museum will be able to house many exhibits and items that are now in storage because there is not enough space to show them at the Houston facility."

If you are worried about traffic, then ride the MetroRail that is what it is there for! It is cheaper than parking anyhow.

I would if I lived along the MetroRail route.

i guess it IS all about you.

Finally, someone gets it.

I would if I lived along the MetroRail route.

I don't live near the metro rail, but I park in their free parking area near Sam's and ride it in. That is the most convenient thing about it is you can park and then pay like 3 bucks to ride all day and go anywhere you need Downtown, Medical Center, & Museum District. Soon we will be able to ride to UH for the Coug games. That will be great.

I don't live near the metro rail, but I park in their free parking area near Sam's and ride it in. That is the most convenient thing about it is you can park and then pay like 3 bucks to ride all day and go anywhere you need Downtown, Medical Center, & Museum District. Soon we will be able to ride to UH for the Coug games. That will be great.

Where's Sam's? I don't see it on Metro's map. The only park & ride they list for Metro rail is Fannin South, which costs $2.50.

Well, The Woodlands location inside the mall, from what I've heard, has been a roaring success. Infact, plans are in the works for the HMNS to build an actual structure and vacate the mall for parking reasons. If the Sugar Land location is half as successful as The Woodlands, it is a good idea...and there is no reason to think that it wouldn't be.

Hopefully the next thing they do is build new baseball and football stadiums in Sugar Land. Then the Astros and Texans can play some of their games out here. Save me some drive time. ;)

I'm not necessarily for that; it would not be fair to Texans fans in The Woodlands. Just imagine how Big Blue fans up in Westchester and Fairfield feel about having to drive through Manhattan just to get to the Meadowlands, and the same goes for those Redskins fans in Northern Virginia who have to go past D.C. By contrast, the Cowboys' new digs will be front and center...in Arlington, right between D and FW.

Nonetheless, a Sugar Land branch would geographically balance the appeal of HMNS. The question is, what exhibits would go into it (and I mean exhibits already not on display in The Woodlands just for the sake of exhibit balance and diversity).

The only real advantage I would see in this is that completely different works would be held in each one and then be ROTATED between the facilities.

There are too many visitors that do (national) museum tours for our exhibits to be spread out all over creation. People (tourists) already have reservations about Houston being too big to easily get around with or without a car.

You have to remember, to those from smaller (area wise) cities are overwhelmed by the geographic size of the city.

There are too many visitors that do (national) museum tours for our exhibits to be spread out all over creation. People (tourists) already have reservations about Houston being too big to easily get around with or without a car.

Why would a tourist care if we had a science museum in Sugarland? Are you thinking of OCD tourists who have to visit every building with the word "Museum" in its name before leaving a town?

Because some like seeing what the local museums have and they don't want to miss something of significance, particularly if something is out there special they want to see. But I guess as long as they don't host major exhibits there like Bodyworld's or whatever, I might be okay with it.

• The title was changed to Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land?
  • The title was changed to Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land

Archived