Babylon Nightclub At 612 Hadley St.

CSOM

Driving by recently, there is a sign up advertising a new Howl at the Moon dueling piano bar in Midtown. Location is 612 Hadley Street right next to Pub Fiction.

Currently on this location (corner of Louisiana and Hadley) there is an old lot that is overgrown with weeds and an ugly little orange building that used to be the location of Don Jacobsen Automotive. Next door (612 Hadley) is a blue tin shed building used for the Austin Automotive auto shop. Both would need to be likely razed to make room for a new building suitable for such a venture. Opening is supposed to be May 15, 2007, so I'm not sure where/how this is going to go up so soon, where a bad building housing a currently active auto shop is. I'm excited about the possibility though.

http://www.howlatthemoon.com/houston_tonight.html

Anyone hear anything on this?

Edited by CSOM

i sure must be getting old because that looks lame!

Looks sort of college-town like, but what do I know, I'm old too.

It is nice to see new businesses pop up in Midtown.

I wonder if they are going to tear down that old warehouse or use it for the bar--extensively remodeling it, of course.

As a midtown resident, I am happy to see a bar like this going in. Aside from being next to Pub Fiction, however, I think they are putting it in a random spot.

I wonder if they are going to tear down that old warehouse or use it for the bar--extensively remodeling it, of course.

As a midtown resident, I am happy to see a bar like this going in. Aside from being next to Pub Fiction, however, I think they are putting it in a random spot.

If you get enough of these establishments in random places like this, suddenly you have critical mass. I think it's great.

• 3 weeks later...
Houston has always had a high mortality rate when it comes to bars and eating establishments. I agree, that if you get the right combination of bars/resturants/shops, people will go there. Rice is a very good example of that.

Why didn't they pick a location in an auto repair somewhere in Pasadena ?

• 6 months later...

I stumbled across this link, it seems that they're coming to Houston!

THIS is a cool place. Editor SHOULD be familiar with it, since there is one in Chicago (which I went to during my personal record beating buzz...but that's another story).

I'm so hyped, I'm SO there!

I stumbled across this link, it seems that they're coming to Houston!

THIS is a cool place. Editor SHOULD be familiar with it, since there is one in Chicago (which I went to during my personal record beating buzz...but that's another story).

I'm so hyped, I'm SO there!

Nice Ricco... Not sure that you remember you were in a thread on this back in December/January Link, but that's ok :D

They originally speculated May as opening, but obviously didn't happen... making a lot of progress when I go by now, and will clean up that corner, which is nice. Also, next door there is a sign stating Louisiana/Hadley crossing for variance request, not sure if something else is going up next to it & Pub Fiction, but looking forward to it anyway.

FTW - It will be here Google Maps The long white building in the middle will be Howl. The rectangle to the left on Smith is Pub Fiction.

Edited by CSOM

These are great... the progress is really coming along. I never believed the building would've been used for anything else.

I used to use that shop for my car until one day when I brought it in about a week or two having my tires rotated and balanced... The guy drives it and tells me the balance and rotation is all out of whack and I need to get it done. I told him I just had it done, he said I should take it back and have them redo it. When I told him he did it, he didn't say anything and refused to call me back whenever I tried to schedule the "redo" he suggested.

What is the plan for next door where Don Jacobsen auto's and that little orange building used to be?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stopped by last night. Place is opened, and it was packed. Long line outside to get in. $7 cover charge was a turn-off, but the crowd obviously didnt mind. It was kind of cheesy in the standard piano bar way, but I enjoyed it. Its certainly something different than the standard club or bar.

Considering what the place looked like a year ago, its amazing what they have done inside and out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to this place on Tuesday night for our end of semester party. It was a lot of fun and is really a nice bar. They have done a nice job. The only drawback was some of our friends got held up at gun point right around the block as they were walking in.

• 2 months later...

I took up an invitation to go there on Saturday - looong line outside and extremely crowded inside.

The music was fun, but it was too crowded to do much but shuffle around people and get elbowed a lot.

I would say the crowd was twentysomething-just-out-of-college-money-to-spenders.

• Like 1