window options

So I have redone a couple of wood windows, new frames, the whole thing...over it and thinking about using the cheapies at H@me Depot...you know the white ones with dividers, usually 6 over 6, aluminum....is there a way to make them look nice? I think they are tacky just installed with 1x4s framing it like a pic. Thought about recessing them maybe a inch, or putting drip cap on top..not sure ..any suggestions?

So I have redone a couple of wood windows, new frames, the whole thing...over it and thinking about using the cheapies at H@me Depot...you know the white ones with dividers, usually 6 over 6, aluminum....is there a way to make them look nice? I think they are tacky just installed with 1x4s framing it like a pic. Thought about recessing them maybe a inch, or putting drip cap on top..not sure ..any suggestions?

Don't give up on the wood windows. If you're getting tired or working on them, just take a break. Yes, the others are tacky and are made for people who either don't know tacky or don't care; investor houses. Your house will look better, be more valuable and you'll be much more satifsied if you keep the originals. They've lasted 80 years or so, why not help them out so they can last another 80? They're antiques and belong in that exact house, not on the curb/landfill. Those homes near you are slowly attracting Heights types and, if you ever sell, those "20 year guarantee" windows will turn away many.

It's tedious work, a labor of love. How do you feel about the house? Do you "hate it", as the previous owner of my house said he did? His work shows hate. I'm been restoring my living room floor the past few days. I stumbled upon denatured alcohol as a floor cleaner and wow is all I can say. The floors had dirt layers that no soap could remove but now I realize that I don't have to sand them probably, although there are some gouges from the previous hack, and just scraping them with the alcohol and a putty knife, then a stiff bristled brush, one square inch of a board at a time, is revealing a hidden treasure. I've fine-tuned the cleaning since the pic and they are so nice they look like they've been sanded, except the patina and the nicks, dents and scratches of it's life as walked-on wood are still there. 2vmey6p.jpgI was up at 3:30 this morning because I couldn't wait to clean some more.

The point of showing my work lately is to remind you that the tedious work will be worth it. Be an artist. The house, and Houston, will appreciate it.

I agree 100%. Replacing the original windows in an old house will only de-value it in the long run. Aluminum windows look cheap and low quality, because they are. This is especially true after 10 years. The sunlight will degrade the glue holding the fake mullions together. They mullions fall apart, and you cannot repair them, since they are sandwiched in between the glass. Really attractive... People looking to buy an older home are typically looking for some type of architectural character and historic authenticity. Replacement windows are often considered an architectural faux-pas, and their presence may hurt your resale value. I am currently looking to buy an old home, and I automatically disregard the ones that have had their windows and/or interior doors replaced. Painted brick is a big turn-off as well.

If you are worried about energy efficiency, consider weatherstripping the existing windows. Those replacement windows are really not as energy efficient as their manufacturers claim, due to the fact that they have metal frames. Metal is a better conductor of heat than wood, so if you weather strip your existing windows and stop all of the air leaks, you will probably end up at the same level of efficiency than if you had replaced the windows. Plus, you will have saved money. Weatherstripping is much cheaper than new windows.

If your windows are really rotten or warped, and it will take too much labor to repair them, consider buying a replacement sash or two at Historic Houston. Their window sashes are relatively cheap, and will look correct in your older home. The only difficulty may be finding your exact size.

Sorry for the long post; cheap replacement windows are one of my pet peeves. Keep on trucking with the older windows, it will be worth it in the long run!

ya my pet peeve as well...I just hate the high electricity bills...have gotten several new sashes at atkins..but need a couple more. In all honesty I was just going to install them on the side of the house that faces neighbors house...no one sees them, and maybe in the back...I will keep messing with these for a bit...just hard as I am a perfectionist and try to recreate the windows exactly as intended...

ya my pet peeve as well...I just hate the high electricity bills...have gotten several new sashes at atkins..but need a couple more. In all honesty I was just going to install them on the side of the house that faces neighbors house...no one sees them, and maybe in the back...I will keep messing with these for a bit...just hard as I am a perfectionist and try to recreate the windows exactly as intended...

Yeah, a couple of mine have just rotted and are literally falling apart. Trying to sleep in the master bedroom was more akin to camping at first. Then I just brought out the duct tape as a temporary measure. And I don't have the option to skimp on the back windows, unfortunately, because the whole house faces one street or another.

Yeah, a couple of mine have just rotted and are literally falling apart. Trying to sleep in the master bedroom was more akin to camping at first. Then I just brought out the duct tape as a temporary measure. And I don't have the option to skimp on the back windows, unfortunately, because the whole house faces one street or another.

Oj ya, temporary measures...those last me yrs...I temp. have plywood over the kitchen window...going on 6 months now..hahahhaha

Oj ya, temporary measures...those last me yrs...I temp. have plywood over the kitchen window...going on 6 months now..hahahhaha

All of us who are restoring/renovating old houses and doing some or all of the work ourselves have to resort to temporary measures. Houston is a city with relatively few residents who are interested in preserving the past, so it takes a lot of time to locate appropriate materials.

Isn't Adkins just about the only store of its kind in this part of Texas? I've heard that there's a huge place full of architectural antiques in Gonzales. Anyone ever been there? It's a tad far from here just to browse.

I unfortunately have 3 different versions of windows in my house. Of 19 windows, 12 are original. Some are in good shape. The ones that held window AC units tend to have fared worse. Most have been screwed through in some bizarre theory of security. The original back porch was enclosed, with 3 newer versions of the original wood weighted windows installed. They are in good shape.

4 windows on the south wall have resonably new windows that appear to be an attempt at "good" windows. Laughably, (or not), these windows have gaps between the upper and lower frame, and the "new and improved" seals are separating from the glass. Frankly, they are junk.

I have weatherstripped for now. Who knows what I will attempt as far as rehab. 19 windows is more than most 2 story homes I've seen. Needless to say, I did NOT put up plywood for Hurricane Rita.

Archived