Chemical Plants Face Pollution Penalties

Subdude

Dec. 21, 2006, 12:42AM

4 Houston-area chemical plants accused in state lawsuit

Thousands of emissions violations cited; Lyondell says suit is 'about money'

By TOM FOWLER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Four Houston-area chemical plants could face hundreds of thousands of dollars

I guess it's about how you define "fair." Slap them with the million dollar fines, "pour encourager les autres"

And the link..

I agree. Fair to them means cheap enough to still make it worthwhile to do so if need be. They need to get hit hard as it's obvious that they'll do whatever they can get away with. The fines need to be strong enough to make sure that violating Federal law doesn't fall under the category of "cost of doing business".

And this utterance is telling, "This suit is not about protecting the environment. It's about money," Harpole said. "We're not seeking to avoid penalties we owe, but they have to be fair.". How arrogant. By replacing the words " This suit" with "Our company", I think we would get a truer idea of how he feels about his company's responsibilities to the public. This guy needs an attitude adjustment.

I agree. Fair to them means cheap enough to still make it worthwhile to do so if need be. They need to get hit hard as it's obvious that they'll do whatever they can get away with. The fines need to be strong enough to make sure that violating Federal law doesn't fall under the category of "cost of doing business".

Actually, if these fines are enforced consistently over the long-term, they will have the effect of reducing the pollution externality because the higher costs of doing business will be passed on to consumers, which will change the quantity of demand, and eventually the quantity that is produced. This is a classic approach to curbing pollution to the social optimum.

And this utterance is telling, "This suit is not about protecting the environment. It's about money," Harpole said. "We're not seeking to avoid penalties we owe, but they have to be fair.". How arrogant. By replacing the words " This suit" with "Our company", I think we would get a truer idea of how he feels about his company's responsibilities to the public. This guy needs an attitude adjustment.

If you did something that was admittedly your fault (say you parked illegally downtown) and were fined $10,000 for the violation (or any amount that you subjectively think was unfair), wouldn't you raise a stink?

If you did something that was admittedly your fault (say you parked illegally downtown) and were fined $10,000 for the violation (or any amount that you subjectively think was unfair), wouldn't you raise a stink?

Well sure, but it's a safe bet you would think twice before doing it again. That's the point of the high fine - to make sure they understand that they can't expect to keep getting away with violations.

Well sure, but it's a safe bet you would think twice before doing it again. That's the point of the high fine - to make sure they understand that they can't expect to keep getting away with violations.

They certainly would...but I was responding to Danax's "attitude adjustment" comment.

They certainly would...but I was responding to Danax's "attitude adjustment" comment.

How many thousands of violations were they accused off? It looks like they couldn't give a flying flip about pollution until now and now he's whining. That's why I call him arrogant.

If I had a thousand parking tickets I would probably whine too, because obviously my attitude would be scofflaw. I would need an attitude adjustment.

If he's so worried about money, maybe they could offer him jail time instead; say, 1 week for every violation...that sounds fair. :)

How many thousands of violations were they accused off? It looks like they couldn't give a flying flip about pollution until now and now he's whining. That's why I call him arrogant.

If I had a thousand parking tickets I would probably whine too, because obviously my attitude would be scofflaw. I would need an attitude adjustment.

Perhaps the way that the regulation is administered is perceived as unfair.

Archived