HAIF - Houston's original social media

Urban Cowboy Question

Trivia

The scene where Wes chews up and swallows the worm after drinking the bottle of tequila was not scripted, but a joke done for the dailies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Swayze's wife and mother (Lisa Niemi and Patsy Swayze) choreographed the dance sequences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Travolta had a mechanical bull installed in his home two months before production began. He became so good that he was allowed to dismiss the stunt double and do the takes himself.

At the time the film was shot, Gilley's, used as the film's main nightclub location was the largest nightclub in the world in terms of available space for the patrons, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Michelle Pfeiffer auditioned for the role of Sissy and was producer Robert Evans' preferred choice.

Patrick Swayze taught John Travolta how to do the two-step for the movie.

Studio executives were against casting Debra Winger in the lead role at first. Director James Bridges threatened to quit the film unless she was cast. They eventually approved the casting.

The script was originally written for Dennis Quaid.

Robert Evans sent Debra Winger back from location because he did not think she was attractive enough for the lead; it was only at the insistence of director James Bridges that she did the role.

The soundtrack album was a major hit. It sold several million copies and featured the hit tunes "Looking for Love", "Can I Have This Dance?" and "All Night Long".

The 1967 Ford Mustang that Sissy drove in this movie now resides in Evans City, PA (near Pittsburgh). It is owned by two brothers and is often seen in local car shows.

More trivia:

My sister was an extra in Urban Cowboy. She went to Gilley's everyday for three weeks filming the dance contest scene. She was one of the dancers. She was paid $30. a day plus three meals.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The entry to the Gaylynn was always a black concrete surface with a sparkle in it. It may have been refinished prior to the premier. I am fairly sure for the "Urban Cowboy" premiere, they covered the

I happend to be in the area this week and shot a few pics.

This is Uncle Bob's house. HCAD shows a build date of 1979 and surprisingly it is only $110K. The area looked very nice and clean.

DSCN2618.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

This is roughly the location of the restaurant that Bud and Sissy have the puddle fight at night.

DSCN2620.jpg

This is the Wards that has now been converted into an indoor flea market.

DSCN2622.jpg

The old Handy Dandy is now a resale shop. I went in last month and asked to take photos but the manager politely declined my request. They have altered NOTHING inside. The old lawn and garden area is as it was before; just with resale stuff on the shelves. The used book collection is pretty good. $2 and some change buys a hardback.

DSCN2623.jpg

This is at the Spencer and Shaver intersection facing west on Spencer.

DSCN2624.jpg

There is a small used car dealer on the side where Wards used to be.

DSCN2625.jpg

This is the SW corner of the intersection. Mi Tienda is just an HEB in disguise.

DSCN2626.jpg

One last photo looking west from that area on Spencer.

DSCN2627.jpg

Indeed the recording studio of Gilley's is still there. You can see the roof from the street but not much more. It is hard to photograph but google earth will give you a bird's eye view.

• 2 weeks later...
I happend to be in the area this week and shot a few pics.

This is Uncle Bob's house. HCAD shows a build date of 1979 and surprisingly it is only $110K. The area looked very nice and clean.

DSCN2618.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

This is roughly the location of the restaurant that Bud and Sissy have the puddle fight at night.

DSCN2620.jpg

This is the Wards that has now been converted into an indoor flea market.

DSCN2622.jpg

The old Handy Dandy is now a resale shop. I went in last month and asked to take photos but the manager politely declined my request. They have altered NOTHING inside. The old lawn and garden area is as it was before; just with resale stuff on the shelves. The used book collection is pretty good. $2 and some change buys a hardback.

DSCN2623.jpg

This is at the Spencer and Shaver intersection facing west on Spencer.

DSCN2624.jpg

There is a small used car dealer on the side where Wards used to be.

DSCN2625.jpg

This is the SW corner of the intersection. Mi Tienda is just an HEB in disguise.

DSCN2626.jpg

One last photo looking west from that area on Spencer.

DSCN2627.jpg

Indeed the recording studio of Gilley's is still there. You can see the roof from the street but not much more. It is hard to photograph but google earth will give you a bird's eye view.

Larry awesome pics, UC was on the other night and was thinking about where Uncle Bob's house was at?

• 2 years later...

2220 Main is "The Hound Station" : Greyhound Bus Station. It is one block from the 2016 Main Building.

Wasn't that the Baytown Mountains?

According to IMDB, filming for Urban Cowboy was at Gilley�s, 2200 South Main and 2016 South Main. Those addresses are on Main, and when the street becomes S Main, the numbers just continue. 2016 Main is, of course, �2016 Main�. Don�t know what would have been shot there. Not sure what is at the 2200 Main location, or if what was there then is there today

Edited by Downtown
  • 1 month later...

The high rise scenes were filmed at 2016 Main, you can see the Houston House in the background. As for the uptown nightclub, it was Elan back then, on St. James near Yorktown. It is now a restaurant called The Courtyard. My family used to be in the dry cleaning business here in town, during the filming some of the crew rented a house in Tanglewood and brought some clothes in to be done, I'm not sure if any wardrobe items were done, but the crew was driving around in the beat-up Mustang Debra Winger used in the film.<<Bmil128

You are exactly right. You can see the Houston House in the Background so it was definitely 2016 Main. I remember Elan on St. James, it was one of the hot places to go in the late 70's. The movie was previewed at the GayLynn Theater at Sharpstown and I heard that they resurfaced the entry with some kind of glitter infused concrete to make it sparkle for the local premier. Most of the movie was filmed in Pasadena and that trailer Wes lived in was out in Gilly's parking lot for quite a while. I recall seeing it at least a few years after the movie had been released.

The entry to the Gaylynn was always a black concrete surface with a sparkle in it. It may have been refinished prior to the premier. I am fairly sure for the "Urban Cowboy" premiere, they covered the entry with red carpet. My friends were the doormen/ticket takers for the event (they had to wear brown , western style tuxes the studio rented for them). I stood in front and watched Andy Warhol (with Jerry Hall?) walk in with her tight gold pants, Charlie Daniels standing around, etc.

I went in after everyone had left and we tripped over so many wine/champagne bottles people brought in and drank. I recall Debra Winger leaving the theater last with no crowd around (she was petite and no one knew her).

• Like 1