Urban Cowboy Film Locations

Willsatx

Wow, Sherwood Cryer wears me out just reading about him.

I have lived in Pasadena for 30 years and my wife has lived here all here life. No one I have ever talked to about him has had anything good to say. I have also heard some bad stuff about the guy that owned the Shamrock Hilton, I believe his name was McCarthy or something like that.

joe

My dad worked for awhile doing site/environmental assessments and had to check out a potential cell phone tower location in the parking lot of Sherwood Cryer's G's Ice House about the time this article came out. He went on a Sunday morning to avoid any run-ins, right after he pulled up Mr. Cryer pulled up in his pick-up. Dad told him what he was doing, and said he remembered the club and the movie. Sherwood told him he liked Michael but not any of Travolta's other movies. Dad soon went on his way and was glad he didn't get run-off/chased off/beaten.

He didn't ask his opinion about Mickey Gilley.

My dad worked for awhile doing site/environmental assessments and had to check out a potential cell phone tower location in the parking lot of Sherwood Cryer's G's Ice House about the time this article came out. He went on a Sunday morning to avoid any run-ins, right after he pulled up Mr. Cryer pulled up in his pick-up. Dad told him what he was doing, and said he remembered the club and the movie. Sherwood told him he liked Michael but not any of Travolta's other movies. Dad soon went on his way and was glad he didn't get run-off/chased off/beaten.

He didn't ask his opinion about Mickey Gilley.

I've heard Gilley still owns a home in Pasadena...

I've heard Gilley still owns a home in Pasadena...

Yeah, he does. It's around the corner from where the bar was. HUGE house.

I went to school w/ two of his grand-daughters, in Deer Park- him and his family

are still local.

I went to school w/ two of his grand-daughters, in Deer Park- him and his family

are still local.

Thats the part that really blows me away. If I were as rich as him (or at least I hope he still is) why would any one in their right mind stay in Pasadena? He must have several homes spread out the US? Heck, I would have a home on Lake Travis, I mean he aint no spring chicken. He may as well enjoy his golden years in comfort. I would have imagined him living out in Vegas area or in the mountains. Just dont get it. :wacko:

Gilley should keep on recording. I always thought he was quite good. I know his son still sings out in Pasadena. :)

Thats the part that really blows me away. If I were as rich as him (or at least I hope he still is) why would any one in their right mind stay in Pasadena? He must have several homes spread out the US? Heck, I would have a home on Lake Travis, I mean he aint no spring chicken. He may as well enjoy his golden years in comfort. I would have imagined him living out in Vegas area or in the mountains. Just dont get it. :wacko:

Gilley should keep on recording. I always thought he was quite good. I know his son still sings out in Pasadena. :)

Ouch! C'mon Vertigo! Don't knock Pasadena. We're not all freaks. I promise.

Seriously though, it's a really nice house. I personally grew up in Deer Park,

and remember his house being a bit of a tourist attraction.

Edited by lunchbox

Ouch! C'mon Vertigo! Don't knock Pasadena. We're not all freaks. I promise.

Seriously though, it's a really nice house. I personally grew up in Deer Park,

and remember his house being a bit of a tourist attraction.

I'm not knocking Pasadena and no one called anyone freaks. Everyone above said that the area of older Pasadena has gone to pot. This is what makes me wonder why Gilley would hang around? I could see him in the newer part like over by Beltway 8/Fairmont Parkway. Thats all I meant. I owe everyone a Lone Star that's all. :) Sure could use one about now.

I'm not knocking Pasadena and no one called anyone freaks. Everyone above said that the area of older Pasadena has gone to pot. This is what makes me wonder why Gilley would hang around? I could see him in the newer part like over by Beltway 8/Fairmont Parkway. Thats all I meant. I owe everyone a Lone Star that's all. :) Sure could use one about now.

well he IS in the "new" part by fairmont and the belt

his mansion is in the box made by vista, preston, fairmont pkwy, and the beltway.

off of lily

Edited by gnu

well he IS in the "new" part by fairmont and the belt

his mansion is in the box made by vista, preston, fairmont pkwy, and the beltway.

off of lily

See that makes more sense.

Lunchbox stated in an above thread:

(thats what makes anyone think it is near the old Gilleys bar).

I would have said He is now living in far east Pasadena in the newer area off Fairmont/Beltway 8. Oh well.

Peace on Earth :P

• 3 weeks later...
BINGO, It was the Houston House Apts. I think. Across form the Tenneco building.

I always wondered why they didn't give The Roxy building a credit for location, that is the spot where Bud, and his new gal go to the Upscale Honkytonk, and dance.

it wasnt houston house, i have the DVD and just paused it, it was 2016 Main where the new girlfriend lived, when she stands by the window you have clear view of the sign across the way on the building that says, HOUSTON HOUSE APARTMENTS, same sign thats up there now, it just doesnt light up anymore.. I lived inthe Houston House a few years ago, I felt like the bar hussy at Gilley's everytime I came home and looked off my balcony... lol though i did have more furniture in my pad than her.

I think the Pasadena that people of my generation remember is already gone. Just a few weeks ago, I took a drive through the old part of Pasadena to see what my old neighborhoods look like now. I grew up there in the 50s and 60s, and lived at several addresses till I graduated from PHS in 1961.

Our first Pasadena address was on Park Lane in the Gardens. Later on, we lived on Lawrence Street, also in the Gardens, on Pomeroy St. on the north side, just a few doors down from the Pomeroy family, and on Camille, two doors off Harris in the old Revlon Terrace neighborhood. All those areas were nice places to live -- back then.

It was depressing to see what is now happening in those areas. Everything north of 225, especially that little area around Pomeroy Street looks like "Little Nuevo Laredo". The Gardens were on the way down when I lived there in the 50s and it's just awful to see them now. Some of the people there have some pride and are taking care of their homes, but most of the houses are slums. There's no other way to say it. Most of Revlon Terrrace appears to be holding up better than the Gardens. In fact, it wouldn't bother me to live there now.

I didn't go through Red Bluff Terrace, or any area south of Southmore, so I don't know what those parts of town look like now.

The old "original" Pasadena, the area bounded on the north by 225, on the west by Shaver, by Southmore on the south, and on the east by Tatar, excuse me, Pasadena Blvd, used to be one of the nicest areas in the whole east part of the county. It was built in the years before WWII, and it was noted for its lovely tree-lined streets, well maintained cottage style houses and green lawns. Not any more. Anyone who remembers what it looked like as recently as 30 years ago would weep if they could see it now.

It's clear that the people who once lived there and took pride in their lovely suburban neighborhood don't live there anymore. Many have moved south to the annexed areas south of Spencer Highway and Fairmont Parkway. I won't be making any more trips back to Pasadena. It's just too depressing.

Well Pasadena City Council has been making great strides to clean up old Pasadena, if you notice there are alot of vacant lots because they are requiring slums be torn down, they re-did the Capitain a few years back, i do wish they would restore old Downtown pasadena, areas like Vinces Bridge where Sam Houston Captured Santa Anna needs to be preserved and beautified. There is alot of work to be done. The same needs to be done with Old Harrisburg, it was the capitol of Texas for heavens sake!

• 4 months later...

This is a great thread and was gripping to read cause I have been working in Pasadena since 03 and never knew the history behind it.

The only bit of trivia I can add is that Manson family murder victim Sharon Tate went to that Catholic School north of Southmore on Shaver (St. Pius V Catholic School) between 48 and 51. Her family lived in Pasadena but left after her 2nd grade year. The whole church campus looks unaltered to I suppose it looked the same when she went there.

The Shaver and Spencer intersection is one I cross at least a few times a month. I took a look at that vacant lot that was the site of the parking lot puddle wrestling in the film....VERY sad to see how it is today. In fact, I went to that Ward's a few weeks before they were going out of business. The worker in the store was an old lady that said she had been there for about 25 years (back in 02 or 01). If I knew about that filming location I could have gotten info...grrrr. Man I wish I had at least taken photos of the Ward's in the final days. It looked so out of place.

In front of the flea market is a motorcycle shop that opened up about 1 or 2 years ago. On the SW corner of the intersection is an HEB dubed Mi Tienda that opened in early 07. They cater to the Latino market that is like 90% of the population in that part of Pasadena.

One question though...where exactly was Gilley's located? I know there is nothing left of it now but where was it?

Also, what used to be on the land that Walmart on Southmore sits on these days? When was that built?

If anyone wants pics of the Shaver and Spencer intersection I can shoot some anyday...it is a few minutes in the car to get there from work. You may cry if you grew up there when it was still sort of rural and clean.

Heck, I'll do a mini photo survey of the old parts of Pasadena since I have time to kill at work this week.

This is a great thread and was gripping to read cause I have been working in Pasadena since 03 and never knew the history behind it.

The only bit of trivia I can add is that Manson family murder victim Sharon Tate went to that Catholic School north of Southmore on Shaver (St. Pius V Catholic School) between 48 and 51. Her family lived in Pasadena but left after her 2nd grade year. The whole church campus looks unaltered to I suppose it looked the same when she went there.

The Shaver and Spencer intersection is one I cross at least a few times a month. I took a look at that vacant lot that was the site of the parking lot puddle wrestling in the film....VERY sad to see how it is today. In fact, I went to that Ward's a few weeks before they were going out of business. The worker in the store was an old lady that said she had been there for about 25 years (back in 02 or 01). If I knew about that filming location I could have gotten info...grrrr. Man I wish I had at least taken photos of the Ward's in the final days. It looked so out of place.

In front of the flea market is a motorcycle shop that opened up about 1 or 2 years ago. On the SW corner of the intersection is an HEB dubed Mi Tienda that opened in early 07. They cater to the Latino market that is like 90% of the population in that part of Pasadena.

One question though...where exactly was Gilley's located? I know there is nothing left of it now but where was it?

Also, what used to be on the land that Walmart on Southmore sits on these days? When was that built?

If anyone wants pics of the Shaver and Spencer intersection I can shoot some anyday...it is a few minutes in the car to get there from work. You may cry if you grew up there when it was still sort of rural and clean.

Heck, I'll do a mini photo survey of the old parts of Pasadena since I have time to kill at work this week.

There used to be a big Sears store where that Walmart is located today. I grew up in League City, and that Sears store was the one we always went to, for it was the closest one to our house for 15 years. I imagine it was built in the 50's, but that's a guess on my part. I can't remember that area ever being rural and clean; it was built up and clean, with the Sears, the Weingarten's and the Abel Drugs building.

There used to be a big Sears store where that Walmart is located today. I grew up in League City, and that Sears store was the one we always went to, for it was the closest one to our house for 15 years. I imagine it was built in the 50's, but that's a guess on my part. I can't remember that area ever being rural and clean; it was built up and clean, with the Sears, the Weingarten's and the Abel Drugs building.

Correct it was a huge Sears dept store and across the street there was a nice Wyatt's Cafeteria. I think there still is a very old fashioned Pharmacy soda fountain across the from where Wyatt's once was. In fact there are still some older business sections of Pasadena that still look like the 1940-50's. Must take picture one day as I always got confused in that city. Its all curves and trangles and stuff. Older parts that is. Maybe should go under Historical Pasadena though. :)

Correct it was a huge Sears dept store and across the street there was a nice Wyatt's Cafeteria. I think there still is a very old fashioned Pharmacy soda fountain across the from where Wyatt's once was. In fact there are still some older business sections of Pasadena that still look like the 1940-50's. Must take picture one day as I always got confused in that city. Its all curves and trangles and stuff. Older parts that is. Maybe should go under Historical Pasadena though. :)

Able Drugs and the multistory Entex building that was next to it were demolished about 10 years ago and a Walgreens now sits there. Gilleys was located at the SE corner of Spencer and Waters behind a small motel, which is still there. The club and rodeo arena were torn down. Parts of the recording studio are still there but hiden by overgrown weeds and bushes.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

Joe, is that motel east of the bank that sits in the SE corner of Spencer and Walters?

In google maps there is a black top parking lot that looks abandonded but I can't see the remains of the studio.

Also, what was located at the SW corner of Shaver and Spencer?

There is now the HEB (Mi Tienda) store with a blockbuster. The structure was built in the late 90s. Behind it is a Foodtown store that looks pretty old.

The only new construction I have seen in that whole area in the past 4 years has been on Shaver north of Spencer and south of Queens on the west side of Shaver. They demolished a 1940s style abandoned home that was on a really big lot and built townhomes. I think they price just under $100K but the for sale signs that have been there since they were completed are a bad sign. Further south of that on Shaver is a creepy abandoned junkyard with cars and buses parked there. The main building and storage area suffered total collapse in a fire about 2 years ago. Since then it is a ghost town in that tract of land.

Oh, behind the junkyard is a tract of land with several slabs on it. I assume they were apartments on Perez Rd. What was the story on them?

Edited by LarryDallas

Joe, is that motel east of the bank that sits in the SE corner of Spencer and Walters? In google maps there is a black top parking lot that looks abandonded but I can't see the remains of the studio.Also, what was located at the SW corner of Shaver and Spencer?There is now the HEB (Mi Tienda) store with a blockbuster. The structure was built in the late 90s. Behind it is a Foodtown store that looks pretty old. The only new construction I have seen in that whole area in the past 4 years has been on Shaver north of Spencer and south of Queens on the west side of Shaver. They demolished a 1940s style abandoned home that was on a really big lot and built townhomes. I think they price just under $100K but the for sale signs that have been there since they were completed are a bad sign. Further south of that on Shaver is a creepy abandoned junkyard with cars and buses parked there. The main building and storage area suffered total collapse in a fire about 2 years ago. Since then it is a ghost town in that tract of land. Oh, behind the junkyard is a tract of land with several slabs on it. I assume they were apartments on Perez Rd. What was the story on them?
The mi tienda is a sign of the changes, When it was Albertson's it closed and HEB opened up...A few years later it closed again, i think it closed 2 times under they HEB brand then recently re opened. Does anyone know what the old food town used to be? It does not look like a standard grocery store. PS: Drive behind the Wards and you can see an old sign that says "Merchendise Pick up" the doors still have MW and wards.com on the botton.
I went with my mom to a store on richey and it had a curved sign that had painted on letter. Weird.

The mi tienda is a sign of the changes, When it was Albertson's it closed and HEB opened up...A few years later it closed again, i think it closed 2 times under they HEB brand then recently re opened. Does anyone know what the old food town used to be? It does not look like a standard grocery store. PS: Drive behind the Wards and you can see an old sign that says "Merchendise Pick up" the doors still have MW and wards.com on the botton. I went with my mom to a store on richey and it had a curved sign that had painted on letter. Weird.

Food Town was a home improvement store called Builder Square. That one opened in the mid-eighties, and closed sometime in the mid-late '90s (1998?).

There was also one on Fairmont in Pasadena, and on I-45 between Nasa Rd.1 and Bay Area Blvd. A Lowes now occupies the Fairmont location. If you look at the floor, you can see where there were once tiles on the floor. The Clear Lake location is now a Hobby Lobby.

Joe, is that motel east of the bank that sits in the SE corner of Spencer and Walters?

In google maps there is a black top parking lot that looks abandonded but I can't see the remains of the studio.

Also, what was located at the SW corner of Shaver and Spencer?

There is now the HEB (Mi Tienda) store with a blockbuster. The structure was built in the late 90s. Behind it is a Foodtown store that looks pretty old.

The only new construction I have seen in that whole area in the past 4 years has been on Shaver north of Spencer and south of Queens on the west side of Shaver. They demolished a 1940s style abandoned home that was on a really big lot and built townhomes. I think they price just under $100K but the for sale signs that have been there since they were completed are a bad sign. Further south of that on Shaver is a creepy abandoned junkyard with cars and buses parked there. The main building and storage area suffered total collapse in a fire about 2 years ago. Since then it is a ghost town in that tract of land.

Oh, behind the junkyard is a tract of land with several slabs on it. I assume they were apartments on Perez Rd. What was the story on them?

That was the parking lot for Gilleys on Spencer and Waters.

Before Mi Tienda and HEB and Albertsons were built, that corner was a mall called Pasadena Plaza. It had a Palais Royal and a Panchos Buffet that I can remember.

I'm not sure what the story is on the slabs those used to be houses a long time ago.

joe

We used to have friends in Pasadena and would go over there from Baytown to visit and shop some. The old white working class Pasadena is long gone, Nesdel Club, Johnny Lees, I'm Proud to Be a KIKKer, Panchos, Mickey McCarty, Taco Bueno, Ice Houses, the Banditos MC, David Allen Coe, Mr. Dellhoussie gone!

A friend of mine grew up in Pasadena with Bert Coan and we used run his old Chevy pickup ragged going to all the beer joints on old Spencer Highway to watch the pool and shuffleboard hustlers work. You would not believe how much money used to get passed back and forth in those run-down joints.

Mickey Gilley splits time between Pasadena and his theater in Branson, Mo. The night they unveiled the old Gilley's sign at Cowboy Ranch Mickey showed up fer it and threw the switch to relight the old sign.

The guy that owned Cowboy Ranch was a real eccentric which was reflected in Cowboy Ranch. The whole place had symbolic meaning to him right down to the rain gutter than ran down through the center of the parking lot. All the signs in that lot were old Pasadena businesses. He told me the bar was the original bar from the old Galvez Hotel.

The grass used to be greenah in Pasadenah.

Edited by Retama

We used to have friends in Pasadena and would go over there from Baytown to visit and shop some. The old white working class Pasadena is long gone, Nesdel Club, Johnny Lees, I'm Proud to Be a KIKKer, Panchos, Mickey McCarty, Taco Bueno, Ice Houses, the Banditos MC, David Allen Coe, Mr. Dellhoussie gone!

Don't forget the beer joints on Preston and Shaver...many are still there.

Remember Ramblin Rose, She's Not Here Ice House, He's Not Here Ice House,

Daily Double, etc..

I think Micheal J's is still going strong...lol. B)

Deana

(from Pasadena)

BINGO, It was the Houston House Apts. I think. Across form the Tenneco building.

I always wondered why they didn't give The Roxy building a credit for location, that is the spot where Bud, and his new gal go to the Upscale Honkytonk, and dance.

The Roxy? On W Alabama or the old Roxy on Westheimer, which was around about that time. How do you know where that was? I've always wondered what place that was. Info please :D

Edited by djrage

The Roxy? On W Alabama or the old Roxy on Westheimer, which was around about that time. How do you know where that was? I've always wondered what place that was. Info please :D

The Roxy was in Highland Village, on the north side of Westheimer, right? The place with all the flashing lights on the cieling.

They used to boast or advetise as having a very expensive state-of-the-art sound system. Very popular around 1982. New Wave was hot at this place.

Cardi's way further down Richmond? was another very popular place, saw The Romantic's there.

Daily Double in Pasadena always had a band called "Texas Hurricanes". Wonder if they are still kicking around? Knew lead guitar guy.

• 4 weeks later...
They used to boast or advetise as having a very expensive state-of-the-art sound system. Very popular around 1982. New Wave was hot at this place.

Cardi's way further down Richmond? was another very popular place, saw The Romantic's there.

Daily Double in Pasadena always had a band called "Texas Hurricanes". Wonder if they are still kicking around? Knew lead guitar guy.

Just wanted to say that my hubby and I saw U2 at Cardi's, early '80s, as well as The Ramones.....what an era!!!!! B)