Most Awkward Work-Related Moments

You don't need to sign your name on your posts btw, we can tell who is speaking. ^_^

Oh, right. Sorry. Most awkward non-work-related moment: forgetting which message board I am posting to and what if any sig to use. Oops.

The Real Marmer

Here's a strange one.

I used to work at a company where we had a supervisor that was just too outspoken and loud. He would say bad (off color, offensive, sexist) jokes out loud and on the phone. He was quite repulsive to say the least. He was put in this position through sheer nepotism, you could get away with it in those days.

It got to the point that he was unapproachable as he would snap at you an humiliate you in front of the others. One day he and another regular employee go to have drinks at lunch mind you come back and he is visibly stoned & reeking of booze. Main boss found out and fired him right on the spot.

Awkward part was having to work near his wife after all this mess. She had to come to work and face everyone after his shameless display. She was quite obnoxious too so they made a perfect couple. The unusual thing about all this is it seemed as if she blamed all of us for his screw up? She finally left for greener pastures. Good riddance. Last we had heard was he was in AA but it was short lived. Happy I'm not at this frkg company any more. :wacko:

Edited by Vertigo58

In one of my first jobs out of college I worked for a company that provided page-layout and design services. My boss was an on-the-job alcoholic, which provided its own set of awkward moments. But I still cringe when I think about this event.

I had been working with one of our clients (a man in his 50s) on a book he was producing himself. Everything was going fine for weeks; he was pleasant to be around. No problems. Then one day he called the office, spoke to my boss about what a lousy job I had been doing, and then asked my boss to put me on the phone. So I get on the phone while my boss stands there and listens. The client started to scream at me and call me horrific names that I can't print here. If I hadn't been as young and inexperienced as I was, I would have just hung up. But I stayed on the phone and took it and started to cry, very loudly. Then my boss, instead of intervening, left the room and closed the door behind him! The guy just verbally abused me for what must have been a half hour. Every few minutes my boss or one of the other employees would peek in the door to see if I was still on the phone and still crying, and then they would just go back to their work.

The didn't fire the client. They just put someone else on the job.

At the time, I felt like I caused the problem. Now that I look back, I realize the client was probably sitting on his bed in his apartment getting off to causing emotional pain to a 22-year-old girl. Yuk.

• 1 month later...

This is an awkward moment not really work related but I have been wanting to release for some time.

I once had a family dentist that did a root canal on me many years ago. The root canal work never quite stopped the pain and it gave me problems until one day it finally shattered, etc. I was not happy and I had started paying what I could, whenever I could. I stopped after a while since I felt I got jilted out of the deal. I came out losing. The overdue letters started coming and I just ignored for a long time.

One day I go to the bank to cash a check and as I am standing in line I notice that the person directly in front of me is the dentist. :ph34r: I am wondering could he possibly remember me? If he does will he bring it up that I owe him in front of all of these people? All these thoughts are flying around. Here is the funny part. As he slightly turns to his left I also turn to the left. Again he turns to the right and I turn to the right. It was like a scene from an old 3 Stooges movie. This seemed to go on forever! I started to sweat and almost crumbled from the suspense. he finally walked away and didnt seem to know i was even there. Once I got to the teller I must have been white as a ghost. There is a moral to the story somewhere. :lol: lol

Now that was extremely awkward!

short, yet awkward.

at previous place of employment my boss and i were in a hurry trying to issue a set for construction. amongst the mayhem of grabbing papers, pulling papers, throwing things away her hand accidentall brushed up against my butt. and yes it was a total accident but still was pretty awkward :unsure:

Edited by TexasArchitect

Back when I first graduated college and started my first job, I was only about three weeks into the job, sitting in a conference room during a meeting and I let one rip without even thinking about it. My etiquette hadnt changed from college yet I guess. I was so embarrassed... the guys were cool though and didnt say much other than "it happens..."

Then a few days later, I am looking at a recent design prototype, and comment that one of the storage bins was "gay"... the gentleman behind me says "its what?" and I said "its gay"... I then turned around to see an obviously homosexual co-worker. He was cool about it.

However, those two experiences quickly made me realize I had to change my ways a bit at the workplace.

Y'all are sharing some great stories!

I'm sure I could write a book on mine, but one that comes to mind... not awkward for me, but was for the architect:

There was a serious hate/hate relationship between the architect and our GC team. E-mails always fly between all parties involved on our project, so hitting 'Reply All' is the norm. Well, this architect (obviously) meant to hit 'Forward' instead of 'Reply All', and sent EVERYONE an e-mail, which included but was not limited to curse words, claiming how out-of-line were were, and how sick of this *more cursing* he was, and endless erratic ranting.

Not much later, another e-mail was sent to all parties saying, "Sorry, that was intended for so-and-so only..."

What's funny is he's done this several times... once I replied and told him, "You've hit 'Reply All' again instead of 'Forward'..." To which I got another, "Sorry..."

In 2005 I was in a co-op program working for Shell Chemical plant in Deer Park. I worked in a lab and across the hallway was the supervisor's office. Where he sat at his desk was directly across from our door so you could see him if you were walking by in the lab. One time I was walking by and did a quick glance out the door, to see him digging for gold up his nose. He was way in deep and I just kept on walking. Oh and there was eye contact at that moment too.

Edited by flyingman

Even though it happened a long time ago I can never forget it. There used to be a Disco in downtown called Rocky's Disco. It was quite popular and used to draw an older crowd (over 21) that was grown up to us High School kids. We used to get in even though we were underage. You could get away with it then sort of. Disco was all the talk and I had to go out of curiosity. This is where all the best looking girls from other schools were rumoured to go to so I figured why not. I dont recall whom I was there with but I did run into some others from school. One girl that was not well liked because she was popular was there and was dancing with just about every other guy. Other girls thought she was just full of herself and most of them were in these clubs. She and I started dancing and the floor was packed for a Saturday night. All of a sudden her skirt fell off and flew across the floor. It was like the Janet Jackson deal years later. I was like what! She freaked out and ran and grabbed the skirt and ran to the RR. It happened so quick. Some of the couples around us noticed and started laughing out loud. I just skooted to my table and acted as if nothing happened. It was quite awkward seeing her at school after that. She told me to never tell any one but everyone knew the next Monday. Word travels quick. :P

Edited by Vertigo58
Y'all are sharing some great stories!

I'm sure I could write a book on mine, but one that comes to mind... not awkward for me, but was for the architect:

There was a serious hate/hate relationship between the architect and our GC team. E-mails always fly between all parties involved on our project, so hitting 'Reply All' is the norm. Well, this architect (obviously) meant to hit 'Forward' instead of 'Reply All', and sent EVERYONE an e-mail, which included but was not limited to curse words, claiming how out-of-line were were, and how sick of this *more cursing* he was, and endless erratic ranting.

Not much later, another e-mail was sent to all parties saying, "Sorry, that was intended for so-and-so only..."

What's funny is he's done this several times... once I replied and told him, "You've hit 'Reply All' again instead of 'Forward'..." To which I got another, "Sorry..."

lol, something similar happend to me too. only thing is i was the one who hit reply instead of forward :o the email didn't contain any vulgar words just information that shouldn't have been leaked out, LOL.

lol, something similar happend to me too. only thing is i was the one who hit reply instead of forward :o the email didn't contain any vulgar words just information that shouldn't have been leaked out, LOL.

Just don't send a coworker an email meant for your wife. I pulled that one once. Thankfully, the most embarassing part was a mere, "I love you."

I think they were disappointed that it wasn't meant for them! :lol:

My friend had a classic. At her company her manager got her e-mails to make sure nothing was missed. There was a guy in another office who had taken a liking to her and started calling and 'bothering' her. She blew it off as nothing until the guy sent an e-mail professing his feelings, etc. Before she could alert the boss he'd already seen it and sent a 'reply all' to both of them that was quite amusing...

Oh...and she also sent her boss and IM once that was meant for her boyfriend...I believe it went 'hi smelly' in reference to him working out at lunch. The boss asked what she was talking about and before she noticed it was the wrong person she replied again...'you smell.'

Man that girl cracks me up...