George Mitchell Mansion At 11010 Wickwood Dr.

texasdago

• 2 years later...

BUMP...had to keep this post active.

I've just been really interested in this house and its likenesses to the Gillin house in Dallas. Though Gillin is not Houston related I thought it might be of interest to some of you, so I figured I'd include some links to it. 10,000 sf on 7 acres in Preston Hollow and originally built for a bachelor. Sheesh! Wright incorporated a tame version of the teepee roof that he was so interested in at the time. The Gillin house shows many characteristics that strongly resemble Houston's Mackie & Kamrath work, particularly the churches.

http://www.dougnewby.com/Architecture/Arch...00rockbrook.asp

http://www.checkerstripe.com/gallery/album53

http://www.elysiann.com/

hre's the tax records for the former mitchell house at 11010 wickwood:

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0901120010002

a 9,399 square foot house, built in 2005, owned by a stuart c. yudofsky

from the April 11, 2004 issue of the chronicle:

Mitchell House 11010 WICKWOOD

Built in 1963 for oilman George Mitchell and his family, this vacant Memorial house is considered a masterpiece of organic modern design by the architecture firm of McKie & Kamrath.\

:(

Thanks, I have seen the lottaliving gallery, but the thread that was linked doesn't really explain why or what happened. I had actually posted in that thread about another Kamrath house (48 Tiel Way) which I love. I suppose the story of the Mitchell house is just someone who wanted the land but didn't appreciate what they had. Unfortunate, indeed, especially since it was definitely one of the best houses in the city. The house is still in Google Earth, by the way.

Edited by Jersey01

I suppose the story of the Mitchell house is just someone who wanted the land but didn't appreciate what they had. Unfortunate, indeed, especially since it was definitely one of the best houses in the city. The house is still in Google Earth, by the way.

that's my guess, too

of course, you can call and ask, just to be sure - apparently he and his wife are both psychiatrists :D

Stuart C Yudofsky, MD

now while we can't be certain that he was behind the demolition, the years might match up - the house was on the watch list in 2004, and his house was built in 2005. of course, the HCAD ownership history dates are unavailable

Edited by sevfiv

Mitchell sold the house directly to Yudofsky in 1990. During the years that he owned it, nothing was done to keep it up or restore it... essentially, the house was left to slowly fall apart. Yudofsky claimed that he had tried to do what he could to restore it but, from what neighbors said, he did nothing. The house was razed and subdivided for new construction. Houston Mod made a last ditch effort to save the house or at least document it. Yudofsky was unwilling to let anyone document the house so my guess is that he was concerned that people would indeed see that he did not keep up the house.

The house was in bad shape when I saw it - rotting wood, mildew on the house, etc. It was just left to fall apart. Sad...

dsc06389nh6.jpg

dsc06405on8.jpg

dsc06415sa5.jpg

dsc06392vd3.jpg

dsc06417qz0.jpg

mitchellsm18ia0.jpg

dsc06396qz3.jpg

dsc06406xc0.jpg

thanks for posting the photos and the ephemeral city scan.

now i'm curious about what he put in the mitchell house's place... <_<

Mitchell sold the house directly to Yudofsky in 1990. During the years that he owned it, nothing was done to keep it up or restore it... essentially, the house was left to slowly fall apart. Yudofsky claimed that he had tried to do what he could to restore it but, from what neighbors said, he did nothing. The house was razed and subdivided for new construction. Houston Mod made a last ditch effort to save the house or at least document it. Yudofsky was unwilling to let anyone document the house so my guess is that he was concerned that people would indeed see that he did not keep up the house.

The house was in bad shape when I saw it - rotting wood, mildew on the house, etc. It was just left to fall apart. Sad...

so he let it sit and rot, and let no one document it.

either he is a supreme jerk or completely obtuse. or both.

Edited by sevfiv

As promised, from _Ephemeral City_:

mitchell_house006.jpg

Wow, you guys have been really helpful, thanks. The plan to the Mitchell House immediately reminded me of the plan to John Lautner's Sheats House in L.A. Considering both Kamrath and Lautner had Wrightian influences, maybe they influended each other?

Sheats House (plan can be seen if you scroll down.)

http://johnlautner.org/Sheats.html

there is something about these houses that gives me butterflies. it's a good feeling. perhaps i've spent so much time and effort admiring FLW and mckee/kamrath that i have a physical reaction when being inside them or looking at pictures. crazy.

great information guys! you're all awesome.

• 1 month later...
thanks for posting the photos and the ephemeral city scan.

now i'm curious about what he put in the mitchell house's place... <_<

so he let it sit and rot, and let no one document it.

either he is a supreme jerk or completely obtuse. or both.

Drove by there today. None of you really want to see what's up now...if you were to look up the definition of "McMansion"...

Interestingly enough, it's easy to find, as the original mailbox and front walls are still there and seem to have been incorporated into the landscaping.

• The title was changed to George Mitchell House Mansion At 11010 Wickwood Dr.
  • The title was changed to George Mitchell Mansion At 11010 Wickwood Dr.