The RO: Mixed-Use Development At West Alabama And Buffalo Spdwy.

YakuzaIce

Yes, it's project by the Harris County Flood Control District that replaces an open ditch with buried box culverts.  For more, look here:  www.hcfcd.org/w129

My guess is that the buried culverts aren't designed to withstand a load as heavy as another rail line.  But ... I'm intrigued by the idea of a hike & bike trail connecting Memorial Park with points south.

That would be a great idea.

Yes, it's project by the Harris County Flood Control District that replaces an open ditch with buried box culverts. For more, look here: www.hcfcd.org/w129

My guess is that the buried culverts aren't designed to withstand a load as heavy as another rail line. But ... I'm intrigued by the idea of a hike & bike trail connecting Memorial Park with points south.

Ah I figured it was probably something to do with utilities.

Bummer if that's true that it's a sewer and that it's not able to support the load of another rail line (or two).. A western north/south commuter rail spur would benefit the 290, Westpark, and 90A rail lines for quicker mobility across the west side. Maybe if it couldn't support rail it could support a BRT line connecting the 3 commuter rail lines.

• 6 months later...

This site, combined with the vacant building and parking lot at the NW corner of Buffalo Speedway and Richmond, have the potential to be developed into something really great.  He is right when he says this tract is one of the largest and most desirable in-fill locations left in Houston.   

• Like 3

I hope someone keeps it and puts it to good use. It's a very nice mid-century modern building. The addition by Page Southerland Page isn't that bad either.

The dad of a kid on my son's baseball team last year works in that building. He said it's pretty grim on the inside. No light, because the windows are high on the walls, which also means there's no view, and the typical 50's layout that's a real pain these days.

• Like 3

Too bad St Johns grabbed all the land across the street. It could've been a great new dense development.

It will be dense development, depending on what "dense" is. St. John's currently has some major expansion going on at its campus.

The disappearance of this building and the Shell lab in Bellaire mark the passing of an era. Kind of like the closure of the HAL-PC club. :(

• Like 4

A family member once witnessed the Exxon maintenance folks clearing out a space, so it could be remodeled. One the executives was walking by the dumpster on the way out, stopped and peered inside, then joked to another saying "Well, there goes another load of research!".

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

http://swamplot.com/new-owner-of-exxons-buffalo-spdwy-research-campus-knocking-out-exterior-defenses-this-week/2017-02-28/

New Owner of Exxon’s Buffalo Spdwy. Research Campus Knocking Out Exterior Defenses This Week

PIECES OF THE fencing surrounding the MacKie and Kamrath-designedExxonMobil Upstream Research facility on Buffalo Spdwy. were spotted sprawled out on the grass yesterday along the campus perimeter after being plucked from their stations; more barriers are getting yanked up this morning, as seen in the second shot above. The property (which appears to have been transferred to the nonprofit Exxon Foundation in 2015 after the oil giant’s plans to offload the site were announced) was  sold this month to an entity directing its mail to real estate investment and development firm Spear Street Capital. A couple of readers report that other major shuffling around and cleaning out appear to have been going on at the facility for at least the last few weeks, with vehicles bearing the Precision Demolition logo making periodic guest appearances on the scene.

3102-buffalo-spdwy-6.jpg

3102-buffalo-spdwy-4.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

and so we say "good riddance" to another bit of history, not necessarily all that great of a history IMHO...

You didn't like the building, or you didn't like the former owner? The building was blah to me, but the research done there, as told to me by people in the know was pretty amazing.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, LBC2HTX said:

Solid design. Looks like that's at the corner of Buffalo Speedway and W Alabama. Maybe that's a parking garage north west side? Given how large this property is, there's definitely more to it than this. The shaded structures to the south are probably TBD. 

This was my thinking as well. The perspective indicates that this phase will start on Buffalo Speedway and W Alabama. The project as it looks now definitely makes it one the more interesting developments in this town right next to Gillette. 

• Like 2

I'm guessing that "The RO" stands for "The River Oaks". 

While Greenway Plaza doesn't have official boundaries, I consider this apart of it. What's more is that Greenway Plaza and Upper Kirby are increasingly merging into each other due to all these developments. 

A mixed use use with multiple high rises at the intersection of 59/Kirby will go a long way in blending the two clusters together. Hopefully the plans for that site are still there to eventually happen. 

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 4

Parkway does not include Twenty Greenway Plaza as apart of the Greenway campus. I'm always confused.  Where are buildings 13 - 19?  CBRE has Twenty Greenway Plaza, is that why Parkway does not mention it?

http://www.greenwayplaza.com/

http://www.greenwayplaza.pky.com/property-info-greenway

E7Ltau9.jpg

I'd also personally include the newly built 3737 Buffalo Speedway.  It's a Class-A office building down the street from the campus.

• Like 2