Bridgeland Will Bring 65,000 Residents To Northwest Area

mrfootball

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/cyf...ws/4399953.html

...future focal point of Bridgeland will be its 1,000-acre Town Center on both sides of Grand Parkway.

The center will feature retail, multiple-family homes, space for a college satellite, medical facilities and offices.

The center's construction time frame will depend on the completion of Grand Parkway, but Houghton said it probably would begin between 2013 and 2015.

This area is exploding. It already has a greater population than the greater Woodlands area, and now they're going to stick a Woodlands-sized community in, with all of the other new communities planned/underway? I hope they get to work on 290 soon. :unsure:

Edited by mrfootball

I understand the reasons why people like communities like that, but I just couldn't do the 2 hour commute to get inside the loop each morning from out there. Heaven forbid it rains one morning!

I don't live that much close to the city, but I also work in the energy corridor. My 35 minutes to get 11 miles at 6:30am is as much as I want to put up with anymore.

I can't imagine what people are thinking when buying a house out there if they will need to use 290 to get to work. I don't think there is a worse commute in Houston these days.

You gotta get up in time to wake the roosters, that's fo' sho'.

I can't imagine what people are thinking when buying a house out there if they will need to use 290 to get to work. I don't think there is a worse commute in Houston these days.

My husband and I are actually thinking about buying a home in this community. We are outdoorsy type people and the neighborhood really appeals to us. I work close to the West Belt and I-10 and he works at the West Belt and 59. But, we live in League City so we are used to the long drives but want to cut it down. Can anyone give me an idea of how long they think it would take me/us to get to work from Bridgeland if we left around 6AM or 6:30? What about back roads - are they just as bad as 290? 529? Clay Road? West Road? Any feedback would be appreciated!

My husband and I are actually thinking about buying a home in this community. We are outdoorsy type people and the neighborhood really appeals to us. I work close to the West Belt and I-10 and he works at the West Belt and 59. But, we live in League City so we are used to the long drives but want to cut it down. Can anyone give me an idea of how long they think it would take me/us to get to work from Bridgeland if we left around 6AM or 6:30? What about back roads - are they just as bad as 290? 529? Clay Road? West Road? Any feedback would be appreciated!

The back roads are just as bad. Don't forget west little york and keith harrow. There is a HUGE difference between 6:30 and 6:00am. To get to the west belt and i-10 at 6:30 am I would estimate at least an hour. Most the time would be spent getting to the beltway. I am maybe 4 miles from the beltway. It takes me 30 minutes to get on it in the morning.

I had to go out to the home depot off 290 and spring cypress around 7pm one night this week. That intersection was a nightmare. People were cutting every which way through the parking lots nearby.

I live out by Fairfield ( or as I learned later Farfield) and as the 290 corridor stands now, this is going to destroy it. 290 is already the worst hwy into town, the major park n ride at 290/hyw6 is already over crowded, at peak rush hour the HOV lane is almost as bad as the regular lanes. I use Metro to commute to the Uptown area and one of the worst stretches of 290 is now before hwy-6/1960. This is just going to add to the mess.

There is some hope. A new park n ride is being built right now in Cypress (down the street from Bridgelands, in fact they will have a shuttle service to it). This station is to be a future commuter rail stop into the downtown metro station with a stop to catch the Uptown line. Hempstead tollway is already in the planning process and that is to be followed by the 290 improvements.

The bad part is that the only thing that is being built right now is the park n ride. Even thats impact will be small since I doubt they will put a diamond lane from the end of the 290 HOV lane out to it. So in the morning it will be stuck in the same traffic on 290 to 1960. I just hope that these big developers will be able to apply pressure to get some of these improvements moved up. Otherwise they better hope the people that go out to see the community only go out on the weekend when 290 is a dream.

I just hope that these big developers will be able to apply pressure to get some of these improvements moved up. Otherwise they better hope the people that go out to see the community only go out on the weekend when 290 is a dream.

Or better yet...how about these big developers paying their fair share of the highway improvements!

After all, isn't it their developments that are causing all the freeway capacity issues?!? Why does the general public need to pay for freeway improvements to serve developments that are NOT profiting the general public?!?

I won't cry if the developers pay their share of freeway improvements and only get filthy rich, instead of filthy STINKING rich!!!

Of course, the cost of the freeway improvements would have to be passed on to the homebuyer, but isn't that fair? After all, those homebuyers are the ones who need the freeway improvements, so why shouldn't they pay the bulk of the costs of improvement?

Or better yet...how about these big developers paying their fair share of the highway improvements!

After all, isn't it their developments that are causing all the freeway capacity issues?!? Why does the general public need to pay for freeway improvements to serve developments that are NOT profiting the general public?!?

I won't cry if the developers pay their share of freeway improvements and only get filthy rich, instead of filthy STINKING rich!!!

Of course, the cost of the freeway improvements would have to be passed on to the homebuyer, but isn't that fair? After all, those homebuyers are the ones who need the freeway improvements, so why shouldn't they pay the bulk of the costs of improvement?

Do you want the big developers to have more say in how the freeways should be built?

What you suggest would be incredibly difficult to organize, politically. How about a toll road? Toll roads all around?

If you work at HP/Compaq, this will be the place to live.

And there's always hope that the Grand Parkway, once completed, will see new employment centers spring up along it within commuting distance of Bridgeland. Since it'll take 20 years to build out Bridgeland, there's plenty of time.

I like the 30% greenspace intentionally left undeveloped. It's prairie terrain, but that's a heck of a lot better than asphalt and hardiplank.

Hopefully they'll use a variety of custom builders and achieve a variety of rich architectural styles. Cinco Ranch generally has the reputation of bland architecture.

Edited by SpringTX

...future focal point of Bridgeland will be its 1,000-acre Town Center on both sides of Grand Parkway.

The center will feature retail, multiple-family homes, space for a college satellite, medical facilities and offices.

The center's construction time frame will depend on the completion of Grand Parkway, but Houghton said it probably would begin between 2013 and 2015.

This area is exploding. It already has a greater population than the greater Woodlands area, and now they're going to stick a Woodlands-sized community in, with all of the other new communities planned/underway? I hope they get to work on 290 soon. :unsure:

what is the population of the greater woodlands area?

West Belt and I-10 won't be too bad. Probably 40 minutes. Roughly 40-45 for 59 (north, I presume?)

Actually he works at 59 South and the Beltway. I see the northbound Beltway traffic in the evenings and it's not too pretty so I guess he's going to have to deal with that. :blink:

I'm just sick and tired of putting 100 miles on my car everyday and I guess this is the trade off I'll have to live with. Less miles and tolls, but potentially the same time on the road.

Actually he works at 59 South and the Beltway. I see the northbound Beltway traffic in the evenings and it's not too pretty so I guess he's going to have to deal with that. :blink:

I'm just sick and tired of putting 100 miles on my car everyday and I guess this is the trade off I'll have to live with. Less miles and tolls, but potentially the same time on the road.

No way you can make it there in 40 minutes from cypress on a weekday morning.

Hopefully they'll use a variety of custom builders and achieve a variety of rich architectural styles. Cinco Ranch generally has the reputation of bland architecture.

Tell me about it. Every single suburb in Houston has bland architecture, except for the Woodlands (and only the Woodlands).

How wide is Fry Road through the Bridgelands? If it is only four lanes (two in each direction), I think it needs to be widened to six lanes (three in each direction). Have some overpasses for it, too (like Woodlands Parkway).

Also, would the Bridgelands have freeway interchanges similar to the ones in the Woodlands? They would help with traffic flow a lot.

mrfootball....what exactly is your problem with The Woodlands?

You always seem so antagonistic towards the community.

I love The Woodlands, the hardcore evangelists just tend to embellish things a bit too often.

I have several clients in the area and visit it weekly. I really like what they've done with it over the past 5 years or so. I nearly bought a home out there, I may buy my next there, who knows?

...a bit of clarification, I may not agree with Trae on the exact definition of 'bland'...I'm simply pointing out that 99.2% of homes in The Woodlands are the same types of homes you'll find in the other Houston suburbs (ie. Spring, Klein, Cypress, Katy, Kingwood, etc).

Edited by mrfootball

My God, that's disgusting!! More banal crap even further from the core of the city. I might understand a decision to live in such mediocrity if one works in that area (within 2-3 miles from home). But, otherwise, why perpetuate this type of sickening sprawl??

I'm sure the type of person that will actually want to live in this will drive their "SUV" (please say with a strong southern drawl to get maximum effect) spitting "chewin 'backy" out of the window as they suck gallon upon gallon of fuel and spew ozone-causing pollutants into the beautiful 290 corridor! I'm gonna go throw up...

My God, that's disgusting!! More banal crap even further from the core of the city. I might understand a decision to live in such mediocrity if one works in that area (within 2-3 miles from home). But, otherwise, why perpetuate this type of sickening sprawl??

I'm sure the type of person that will actually want to live in this will drive their "SUV" (please say with a strong southern drawl to get maximum effect) spitting "chewin 'backy" out of the window as they suck gallon upon gallon of fuel and spew ozone-causing pollutants into the beautiful 290 corridor! I'm gonna go throw up...

[sarcasm]Would you rather that they live next door to you? I mean, if these people are as backwards, filthy, dangerous, and careless as you ascribe them to be, don't you think it might be an insurance risk to have them on your apartment block? Oh, and think of what their kids would do to the quality of our top-notch HISD schools! All those poor poor people would have to be subjected to the yuppie redneck brats.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, get over yourself. Different people have different preferences.

[sarcasm]Would you rather that they live next door to you? I mean, if these people are as backwards, filthy, dangerous, and careless as you ascribe them to be, don't you think it might be an insurance risk to have them on your apartment block? Oh, and think of what their kids would do to the quality of our top-notch HISD schools! All those poor poor people would have to be subjected to the yuppie redneck brats.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, get over yourself. Different people have different preferences.

Your response is funny, actually. No, I wouldn't expect people to want to send their kids to public school (within or outside of Houston for that matter. I know that I won't). I believe that promoting this type of sprawl has a detrimental effect on society (social, environmental, political, etc.).

Also, just because you do not like it or do not want it, doesn't mean nobody else gets to. How much housing do you think there is inside the loop? Definitely not enough to shove all of the suburbanites into it. Plus, just because you live in the Houston area, does not mean you work downtown. And, as others have said many a time, those of us with kids appreciate the value of a good, quality education and are willing to "sacrifice" to give our kids every advantage possible.

I have never understood opponents of sprawl given our countries history of western expansion and free choice/will. Without it, we would all be living 3 miles up on a little island in NYC. No thank you, I like my backyard, my fence, my trees and my freedom to choose to do whatever it is I want.

Your response is funny, actually. No, I wouldn't expect people to want to send their kids to public school (within or outside of Houston for that matter. I know that I won't). I believe that promoting this type of sprawl has a detrimental effect on society (social, environmental, political, etc.).

So where will your kids go? Where is your evidence for detrimental effects on society?