W.T. Grant Co. Department Store At 607 Main St.

houston1973

so i was searching through the net and found this picture of the store name on the floor of the parking lot north of the chronicle building. im going to see if i can make it there later. but does anyone have picture or know where this is.

P.S. it is not at Market Square. this is at the parking lot between the chronicle and mkt square

picture owned by

grants.jpghttp://bayoucityhistory.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Correction the ... I was at the Flying Saucer last night and it is actually located on the site of the old Mcdonalds on Tx. The sign is on next to the attendant booth north of the St. Germain on Capital. the pictures is located on ths url

http://lh3.google.com/_vTqdpLWFWaQ/RXZci_O...1600/grants.jpg

grants.jpg

I am stunned to hear that someone else knows about Grant's! My mom used to take me there to eat hamburgers before going to the dentist around 1966-67. The bus would stop right in front, more or less where the tile on the sidewalk says Grants. How cool! I wish I could find a photo but no such luck even on Google. Please show us all if anyone finds it. I have great memories of that place, had the best toys and the coolest Santa Claus around I do have his picture with my big brother and me. Still tripping!

I am stunned to hear that someone else knows about Grant's! My mom used to take me there to eat hamburgers before going to the dentist around 1966-67. The bus would stop right in front, more or less where the tile on the sidewalk says Grants. How cool! I wish I could find a photo but no such luck even on Google. Please show us all if anyone finds it. I have great memories of that place, had the best toys and the coolest Santa Claus around I do have his picture with my big brother and me. Still tripping!

ill take a pic with my camera phone and post the new one. you are correct HouTran and Metro bus stops were indeed within a few feet of grants.

This isn't as clear as I would like, but gives you some idea of the layout of Grants

Thank you for that wonderful old map of store locations in downtown Houston! It really brought back memories of my childhood when I would go shopping with my mother. No trip downtown was complete without walking through Grant's, Woolworth's, Kress, and Schulte-United. There was no such thing as self-service. Merchandise at these five-and-dimes was laid out on waist-high counters with shallow movable glass partitions to keep it orderly and each counter was staffed by a salesgirl. Very few items were prepackaged. Purchases were rung up on a cash register that required some skill to operate; although electric, it wasn't automatic, and the salesgirl had to know how to make change herself instead of relying on the register display. The receipt was printed out with numbers only in purple ink, and purchases were placed in flat brown paper bags.

A couple of the five-and-dimes sold sheet music of popular songs and actually had someone to play the piece you were considering on a spinet piano right there in the store. Or, if you wanted a 78rpm record (the only kind back then), a salesgirl would play it for you on a phonograph.

As a native of these parts, I have a lot more recollections of Houston "way back when".

The map from isuredid sure did help in locating a couple of old pictures that show some of the old Grant's that was sandwiched in between Woolworth's and Burt's/Penney's on Main St. These are from the Bailey collection. They are dated 1939, so changes had probably been made from then to others' more recent memories of it.

e_bb_1289_pub.jpg

e_bb_1290_pub.jpg

e_bb_3883_pub.jpg

The soda fountain at Grant's

The map from isuredid sure did help in locating a couple of old pictures that show some of the old Grant's that was sandwiched in between Woolworth's and Burt's/Penney's on Main St. These are from the Bailey collection. They are dated 1939, so changes had probably been made from then to others' more recent memories of it.

e_bb_1289_pub.jpg

e_bb_1290_pub.jpg

e_bb_3883_pub.jpg

The soda fountain at Grant's

Unbelievable photo's!

Thank you so much for sharing. I am so glad my mom took us there around Christmas to have our photo taken with Santa. Over our heads is a glittery sign that read "Merry Christmas" and 1965 in small letters underneath. I still recall being nervous and a little scared of course but clearly recall focusing on my mom in front of the crowd waving & saying "smile" There were also many excitied children and their mom's who most had those tall beehive & bouffant hairdoes. Many of the men wore suits & hat's It was sooooo cooool! Very mod 60's for sure.

This isn't as clear as I would like, but gives you some idea of the layout of Grants

Grants_Map.jpg

Isuredid ... where did you find that map.

im working on my version of houston then an now and that would be a very great source to pinpoint old picures. email me

juanh.castillo@mindspring.com

Awesome - THANKS! ....and I've been meaning to stop by the "Texas Room". Where is it exactly? Is it located in the Public Library? The last time I went by there the library was closed for renovations.

It's still open. Second floor, Julia Ideson building. The map is is the drawers in the map area. Have fun!

Indeed - thanks guys!!

thank you isuredid.

this will help me out alot in my research.

do they have scanners at that particular library on mckinney or how do you go about getting copies. thanks and i think i found my new home in the Texas room. ive been trying to go for the last few years but time is my enemy.

thank you isuredid.

this will help me out alot in my research.

do they have scanners at that particular library on mckinney or how do you go about getting copies. thanks and i think i found my new home in the Texas room. ive been trying to go for the last few years but time is my enemy.

They have xerox machines. They just got new ones. The last time I was there they had not yet hooked up the coin machine to it, so the copies were free. That won't last long and may not be true any longer already.

I used to go to Grant's too, back in 1971-72. My mom would take us there. We would also ride the bus. We would eat hamburgers and I remember buying clothes and records. I wonder if that is now a complete thing of the past or are there any stores left downtown that one can ride the bus to and go shopping? Is it just me or does anyone else feel nostalgic and miss the "good old days" when reading these type of posts?

I used to go to Grant's too, back in 1971-72. My mom would take us there. We would also ride the bus. We would eat hamburgers and I remember buying clothes and records. I wonder if that is now a complete thing of the past or are there any stores left downtown that one can ride the bus to and go shopping? Is it just me or does anyone else feel nostalgic and miss the "good old days" when reading these type of posts?

Your within good company. Trust me!

There is only one above ground level mall to shop that has a very limited variety of expensive "touristy" stores is The Park Shops. There are also the numerous, winding underground boutiques but nothing like the old days. Foley's is now Macy's and miraculously still operates.Deverlopers and small business owners have been trying for years to bring it back somewhat the way it was but it could never be matched. Even though Main st was revitalized the homeless population is ever present and that alone is a whole other story. I worked off main st for years and can attest to the constant presence of the intimidating homeless people. I do have sympathy, but my coworkers and myself have been harrassed so often by them. Most dont ask for change they demand dollar bills. I can only say I am glad I dont work there anymore!

So, to answer the question I get nostalgic too but prefer to remember the way it was.

Your within good company. Trust me!

There is only one above ground level mall to shop that has a very limited variety of expensive "touristy" stores is The Park Shops. There are also the numerous, winding underground boutiques but nothing like the old days. Foley's is now Macy's and miraculously still operates.Deverlopers and small business owners have been trying for years to bring it back somewhat the way it was but it could never be matched. Even though Main st was revitalized the homeless population is ever present and that alone is a whole other story. I worked off main st for years and can attest to the constant presence of the intimidating homeless people. I do have sympathy, but my coworkers and myself have been harrassed so often by them. Most dont ask for change they demand dollar bills. I can only say I am glad I dont work there anymore!

So, to answer the question I get nostalgic too but prefer to remember the way it was.

Yes, the Foleys that opened up over here in Parkdale Mall a couple of years ago is now Macy's. I can't keep up with all of these mergers. I'm not familiar with ANY remaining soda fountains with counters and stools in this whole area, and Beaumont's population is over 100,000. I think that there was at least one W.T. Grant in this area, but it folded MANY years ago.

Yes, the Foleys that opened up over here in Parkdale Mall a couple of years ago is now Macy's. I can't keep up with all of these mergers. I'm not familiar with ANY remaining soda fountains with counters and stools in this whole area, and Beaumont's population is over 100,000. I think that there was at least one W.T. Grant in this area, but it folded MANY years ago.

ms2b1.jpg

woolworth and grants store

Under another topic I saw that someone had posted a picture of the open air middle part of the then Gulfgate Shopping City. If you look to the left, you'll see Newberry's, and if you look to the right, you can make out a Grant's store.

e_bb_1288_pub.jpg

I can still smell the delicious hamburger & fries while at Grant's. I recall clearly enjoying my lunch meal and watching the crowds meander outside the windows and the hundreds of cars and buses passing. I used to think I was in New York City! It seemed so hustle and bustle. What I really was anxious about was rushing to the toy dept to get my next Lego bldg set and to see what other Godzilla type monster toys I could find. Funny that's what really stood out for me was the restaurant and the TOY DEPT! Yeah!

I can still smell the delicious hamburger & fries while at Grant's. I recall clearly enjoying my lunch meal and watching the crowds meander outside the windows and the hundreds of cars and buses passing. I used to think I was in New York City! It seemed so hustle and bustle. What I really was anxious about was rushing to the toy dept to get my next Lego bldg set and to see what other Godzilla type monster toys I could find. Funny that's what really stood out for me was the restaurant and the TOY DEPT! Yeah!

Oh, man, you're bringing back memories for me! Many of those burgers were hot and greasy right off of the griddle, served on a bun with the white side toasted. And the greasy fries hot out of the oil vat, innundated with salt, pepper, & ketchup! And a thick chocolate malt that was so thick your cheeks would deflate inward trying to get it through the straw! Tell me more!

W. T. Grant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about W. T. Grant stores, for the namesake founder, see William Thomas Grant

W. T. Grant was the name of a chain of United States-based mass-merchandise stores founded by William Thomas Grant. The stores were generally of the dime store format located in downtowns.

In 1906 the first "W. T. Grant Co. 25 Cent Store" opened in Lynn, Massachusetts. Modest profit, coupled with a fast turnover of inventory, caused the stores to grow to almost $100 million a year in sales by 1936, the same year that William Thomas Grant started the W. T. Grant Foundation. By the time Mr. Grant died in 1972, at age 96, his nationwide empire of W. T. Grant Stores had grown to almost 1,200.

Grant's stores were slower than the Kresge stores to adapt to the growth of the suburb and the change in shopping habits that this entailed. The attempt to correct this was belated; by the late 1960s there were some "Grant City" stores, but unlike Kresge's Kmart they were not of uniform sizes or layouts, meaning that a shopper in one did not immediately feel "at home" in another. The chain's demise in 1975 was in part due to a failure to adapt to changing times but was probably considerably accelerated by management's refusal until it was too late to eliminate the shareholder dividend; even after the company began to lose money, funds were borrowed to pay the quarterly dividend until this became impossible. A last-gasp tactic to stay in business involved requiring each Grant's clerk and cashier unfailingly to offer a Grant's credit card application to customers in order to boost sales in the stores.

Grant's store-branded electronic and other goods were "Bradford" after the county where William Thomas Grant was born in Pennsylvania.

Grant's stores were slower than the Kresge stores to adapt to the growth of the suburb and the change in shopping habits that this entailed. The attempt to correct this was belated; by the late 1960s there were some "Grant City" stores, but unlike Kresge's Kmart they were not of uniform sizes or layouts, meaning that a shopper in one did not immediately feel "at home" in another.

a "grant city" store:

grantcity.jpg

The W.T. Grant department store chain had a discount division called Grant City. This is one such store in Clementon, N.J.; I had the letters colorized in Grant's familiar orange signage to make them stand out in the picture.

found on this interesting website:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdisco...ores/page2.html

Archived