Facebook

lockmat

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually don't think it's as bas as it was in the early 00's. Just my observation though.

Or at least three years ago since I don't remember ever hearing about it before then. I use firefox, which means that most of those profiles do not render since they were designed for their clunker browsers. I don't even have a myspace account.

Facebook in real life:

that was hilarious.

i've been on facebook for a couple of years now. not that active, but my friends are. its nice to keep in touch with people from college and get back in touch with people from high school. i'm now a fan of TheHAIF.

While I don't do facebook or myspace, good ole' google has been a miracle worker in helping me reconnect with people after a long absence. Cap'n crunch and I are together again 15 years and a couple of marriages later thx to google. I just recently disovered another, formerly close high school friend, again thx to google.

I'm currently getting a ton of traction with LinkedIn. Really useful, career-wise, since I work with both advertising and financial people.

that video was pretty funny.

facebook is really more for staying in touch with acquantinces and people who were your friends but aren't anymore and also for stalking (keeping up with) people you knew in your past but don't want to anymore, but you'd still like to know if they're married/single/gay and what company they're working for.

but you keep up with your real friends the way real people do.

that's pretty much what it's for.

True, but to add to it, I have regained friendship I lost, due to time away, whether it was the family moved or college. Exception exist, but yes, most of them are high school peeps. I have my 10 reunion coming up, so it is nice to see who all is coming.

• 1 month later...
Just by Googling their names?

yes, but it was easy because all were affiliated with univerisities, so their names came up quickly with faculty stuff or research stuff. And the names weren't really commomplace. So I guess I made it sound simpler than it is..........

I'm on day five of a seven day fasting from facebook. Haven't really struggled for the most part.

OMG, you have to login, they are giving away $100 at random if you login the next 24 hours. . . don't miss out! B):P:lol:

• 6 months later...
Facebook is the new MySpace, at least in terms of number of accounts.

Facebook is like a cleaner, smoother version of myspace...I've never been hit with spam messages from made up facebook accounts like I do with myspace. I will give myspace credit for the music pages for bands and such, although facebook has those pages now where you can become "fans" of athletes/musicians/etc...

Facebook is like a cleaner, smoother version of myspace...I've never been hit with spam messages from made up facebook accounts like I do with myspace. I will give myspace credit for the music pages for bands and such, although facebook has those pages now where you can become "fans" of athletes/musicians/etc...

And to think I was anti FB at one point. Now I don't look back, but I still hold on to 9 people on my MS that have not converted over.

Not a bad overlap though.

last time i went to facebook, it was for students only i think - like you had to have a valid .edu email to join - is it different these days?

Well, I am on facebook as are some of my children, grandchildren and now pictures of two of my great-grandchildren. My friends and my family all use facebook to communicate. It is an ideal medium to keep in touch, even though I have a couple of blogs. As far as I am concerned, young people do not have a lock on facebook.

Well, I am on facebook as are some of my children, grandchildren and now pictures of two of my great-grandchildren. My friends and my family all use facebook to communicate. It is an ideal medium to keep in touch, even though I have a couple of blogs. As far as I am concerned, young people do not have a lock on facebook.

I agree - two years later it has really evolved. Heck, my job even has a profile

Apparently, after talking to some friends tonight, Facebook is the new place to flyer for parties. I believe this is the beginning of the end for your beloved FB.

It's all about the hugs, but I don't really know b/c I stopped giving my content to fly-by night social networking sites back in 06'. I feel for you folks who have to be connected like that to society, phones are a great way to kill time on the net.

I concur with previous poster's assertion that a true professional, has their own unique web address. Less suspect or fixed gear, even if you have a construction site for years at a time I say your in better programming shape than html slumdoggin' it on the myface.

:D

Apparently, after talking to some friends tonight, Facebook is the new place to flyer for parties. I believe this is the beginning of the end for your beloved FB.

It's all about the hugs, but I don't really know b/c I stopped giving my content to fly-by night social networking sites back in 06'. I feel for you folks who have to be connected like that to society, phones are a great way to kill time on the net.

I concur with previous poster's assertion that a true professional, has their own unique web address. Less suspect or fixed gear, even if you have a construction site for years at a time I say your in better programming shape than html slumdoggin' it on the myface.

:D

"true professional?" Who is making that claim? I have 2 blogs and a website with 15 links but I love Facebook for what it is. Instant communication. I'm just a grandma who loves the instant gratification Facebook offers.

I don't like how facebook has attracted the older crowd. No offense, but now my aunts, uncles, and parents have it. And I'm sure they love to see on the "what are your friend's updates" part when I attend certain parties or events. It's my personal life, and I don't like interlapping my social life with my family life... not that I care what they think, its just annoying when it comes up when I visit them.

Archived