Facebook

lockmat

Facebook

I don't know the average age of posters on HAIF.

What I do know is that most, if not all posters have a desire for the city of Houston and it's neighbors to improve.

I believe that there are many other people out there who want the same, yet aren't as involved as many of you are. My goal is to get more people involved, and if not involved, informed.

To do this, I believe that there needs to be a very visible and frequently visited source. Obviously our local media isn't doing enough. So I have a proposition.

Right behind Myspace.com is a website called Facebook.com It is much more organized, clean, less cluttered than Myspace and I think a very good place to begin this mission.

To continue this vision of improving the Houston area, young people need to be involved, because as the clique goes, they are our future. The sooner they are involved and informed, the better equipped they/we will be to albe to continue it.

As of now, there are many groups that students and young adults have created that represent Houston "pride." If we channeled all of those people who love Houston so much into one medium that informs and gives those people the resources to get involved, Houston's future would have the potential to be much better off.

I understand this forum is also a great place for this, but it's not as well known as facebook, which recieves just as many hits/vistits as myspace. Hopefully people on facebook would visit and contribue to HAIF. I know many of you have informed and enlightened me since I've been visiting.

So I created a group on facebook to encourage this sort of thing. If any of you are already members, search for it or email me. I would even appreciate help maintaining updates and such.

And for those of you who might be older and not used to this sort of thing, I say at least give it a try. It's not childish like myspace.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to include links for members of this group which include informative ones and links to official projects to peak their interest such as the Houston Pavillions.

Any official links or even blogs that discuss this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
I would like to include links for members of this group which include informative ones and links to official projects to peak their interest such as the Houston Pavillions.

Any official links or even blogs that discuss this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I am on there, along with sevfiv. Thank you for adding me you gender confused jokster you! :P

Who else?

Social Networking sites are for amateurs.

Pros use Web sites.

facebook is a website. . . :P uses the whole www. http: .com crap and what not.

So "Pro" do you have some flashy flash website you want to display.

If not, facebook will accept you with open arms! :D

facebook is a website. . . :P uses the whole www. http: .com crap and what not.

So "Pro" do you have some flashy flash website you want to display.

If not, facebook will accept you with open arms! :D

I'm a web professional AND I use Facebook, although I think MySpace is for those wanting to be cool. It's actually just tacky!

I'm a web professional AND I use Facebook, although I think MySpace is for those wanting to be cool. It's actually just tacky!

I started with MySpace, then is started to get too busy with all that crappy glitter and animation html. I hate people who pimp their profiles.

I still have an account, but I am ready to leave it once my friends list match facebook, and about 80% is covered.

facebook is so nice, organized and clean. I hope it stays that way. I heard the website is going to get refreshed very soon with a new layout.

:P Ha, I'm on Facebook as are many older ladies that I know. Actually, I am not really all that active but I have friends in my age bracket who are and I get notified via facebook. I found an interesting article in the New Mexico Business Journal today, that listed Houston as #10 in the ten best places for Young Adults to live in the U.S. I thought this was interesting. Maybe things like this would be of interest to young people. If you are marketing a product (Houston), anything positive would be a good thing.

Don't you think that sites like HAIF are better alternatives than the near-useless facebook, myspace, chat rooms, etc, etc. Mindless garbage, on those sites. I "broke down" because my sister had a myspace page, she was on there, she thought - hey a way to say in touch! Oh, OK. Deleted that crap after a couple of months. All I ever got was: "So-and-so wants to be your friend." Really? Nothing but spam, T&A all over the place. Guess what? Not interested. You'd think they would tailor their spam, to match your profile, but not these guys. Also, who in the world has 156 friends? Does anyone have a circle of friends, I mean real friends, that large?

I think on forums like HAIF (not to overtly plug this place) - you really get to know someone (or where someone is coming from) - minus their identity, which can be distracting, really (when you think about it.) A meeting of the minds, if you will.

Against my better judgement, I tried it... but I've come to the conclusion that no one over 22 should have a facebook or myspace page, IMO. Find other ways to stay in touch with your friends once you grow up, you should have plenty by then anyway.

Facebook in real life:

that video was pretty funny.

facebook is really more for staying in touch with acquantinces and people who were your friends but aren't anymore and also for stalking (keeping up with) people you knew in your past but don't want to anymore, but you'd still like to know if they're married/single/gay and what company they're working for.

but you keep up with your real friends the way real people do.

that's pretty much what it's for.

Also got the impression that myspace was pretty much a hook-up site for straight people...

EDIT: Not that there is anything wrong with that...

MySpace is supposedly designed to make you feel like you're in the bedroom of teenager. That is kinda creepy and sick in a way.

MySpace is the new Angefire, which was the new GeoCities, which was the new AOL, which was the new CB radio, which was the new graffiti.

Archived