Old Central Bank Building

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Central Bank Revitalization by Marc longoria, on Flickr   Central Bank Revitalization by Marc longoria, on Flickr   Central Bank Revitalization by Marc longoria, on Flickr   Central Bank R

Notice they are taking down the north side facade.

This thing is so much better than I envisioned.   Central Bank Revitalization by marclongoria, on Flickr   Not sure if it is real brick on the bottom floors but it looks great!   Central Ban

Posted Images

I saw this on the building this weekend too. I assume that they are stripping the itles from the facade? Any idea what will go on in their place?

Perhaps it will be synthetic stucco!  :blink: Then it can have a cornice and other moldings built up from Styrofoam [sarcasm as if you couldn't tell].

Honestly, my experience with tile (whether natural stone, terra cotta, or some other ceramic) on exterior vertical walls has convinced me that there is only one way to install it - the RIGHT WAY. This requires top notch accessories (usually stainless steel attachment hardware for example) and NO shortcuts. Actually stucco with some sensitivity to the location of expansion and control joints could compliment (and complement) the overall appearance of the building nicely. 

http://swamplot.com/a-midtown-building-you-probably-never-noticed-before-is-coming-apart-today/2014-08-05/

"THE VACANT 2-story building at 2107 Milam St. in Midtown, which long ago was home to a President Health Club — but is likely better remembered as ablank-faced, boarded-up building with a for-sale sign on its corner — is beingsmashed to bits this morning. A reader sends in this view of the scene at Milam and West Gray St. taken from the Metro HQ building at 1900 Main St. The 14,975-sq.-ft. soon-to-be empty lot is next door to Central Square Plaza (at left in the photo), which is currently undergoing renovations. County records show a company called Hobby Place LLC purchased the smaller property in April."

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

Yup. Everything looked kinda rusted, right?

If the structure supporting the tiles looked "kinda rusted" then the tiles needed to come off. Each one is certainly larger than anything I would want falling on my head. I'm glad to see work progressing on this building.

Thanks for verifying what I thought was a delusion.  I've only driven by at night the last few days and wanted to be sure before posting an update.

The side with the scaffolding, theyre removing that entire wall/tiles. You can see through the building to the scaffolding from 45. 

• Like 1

Well I dont know. For all we know, they could be removing it to clean the tiles and put them back up. Its not a shear wall so, its certainly possible windows could be placed there. 

I did notice on my commute home yesterday it looked about 30-40 percent removed. Theyre making good progress. 

That stone/square tile southern facade was the best thing about this building.  I really hate to have lost that.

Yeah, that was my favorite about this building when I was a kid and it was still a reputable-looking biz address.  It lent a type of aesthetic flair to the building that was not (and is not) common in Houston.  

• Like 1

notches are most likely anchors for the new facade

They run completely across the slab though; my first thought was some sort of raised plinth floor from which the new HVAC/IT services would be run through. I'll try to snap some pictures this afternoon from the base of the bldg.

If you look closely at the floor with the No Trespassing sign, you can see that the notches don't run across the floor and look to be a 6-12 inch square.  To me, this further confirms that they will be used to anchor the windows/facade.

They run completely across the slab though; my first thought was some sort of raised plinth floor from which the new HVAC/IT services would be run through. I'll try to snap some pictures this afternoon from the base of the bldg.

tumblr_nal7yrFe0e1rolcooo4_1280.jpg

• Like 1

yeah, Im not sure what purpose they serve. I see C-Channels, oriented along the weak axis, cantilevered in the wrong spot to the beam. I think Phillip might be right, though I'm not too sure myself. I think to add to his comment, you can see studs welded into the C-Channels. Looks like nelson studs... but I cant tell. 

• Like 1

14986623798_d82379b1f2_o.jpgIMG_1192 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

15170198591_fef10f9a03_o.jpgIMG_1191 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Work

14986629698_c45232b9a5_o.jpgIMG_1282 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Work

15150182086_3c96572cca_o.jpgIMG_1277 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Work

15170219721_20b3b3bffc_o.jpgIMG_1258 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Hey Chicks

14986644888_1e512b947e_o.jpgIMG_1262 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

stop Work, check out chicks