WestGrayGuy

Old Central Bank Building

Any word on tenants yet?

I fear that all this work to make this building quite lovely is going to result in someone losing a lot of money if tenants can't be found soon. Anyone here know the scoop?

Promotional marketing agency Jack Nadel International signed a new 5k SF office lease at 2100 Travis St. JLL’s Chad Baker and Matt Sanderson repped the tenant, and Transwestern’s David Baker and Evelyn Ward represented the landlord, Midtown Central Square. 

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-58940?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 3

Another 5,100-square-foot spot is in the works in Midtown in the Central Square office redevelopment at 2100 Travis, according to the Weitzman Group.

The locations, which will have a lifelike replica of an acacia tree, which symbolizes life and nourishment, and a central stone oven as a focal point, are planned to open later this year.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Real-estate-transactions-7407956.php 

http://www.malawispizza.com/

• Like 3

Good question, Purdue.  I drove past this building last weekend and was shocked to see the rusty clock still on top.  It also appears as though the building is still vacant.  Can anyone confirm?  Transwestern had plans to turn this into a tech hub, but I don't see any sign of that.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gator Purify said:

Good question, Purdue.  I drove past this building last weekend and was shocked to see the rusty clock still on top.  It also appears as though the building is still vacant.  Can anyone confirm?  Transwestern had plans to turn this into a tech hub, but I don't see any sign of that.

I hope they keep the clock. It could be really unique if they fixed it up.

2 hours ago, Gator Purify said:

I can't confirm leases. But, I have asked the same question in this thread a couple of times.  My gut tells me that the leasing is going slowly.  I think that they announced a design firm or something had leased some space but that is all I know of.

• Like 1

Transwestern closed two deals at Central Square in Midtown. AvidXchange, repped by Drew Morris with Savills Studley, signed a 5k SF lease. Swearingen's Jim Buddrus helped Moroch Holdings secure a 5.3k SF lease.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-64794?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 1

Definitely not vacant.  I remember when I went by it a week or so, it looked like one of the middle floors was occupied.  Can't remember what I saw, though (desks or other furniture or whatever, I don't remember).  But it is mostly vacant.

I really didn't expect this to fill up overnight in this current market and any one who really thought it would hasn't been paying attention to the 

talk of all of the subleasing going on downtown with all the repositioning of many of the oil giants. Give them time and it will fill. Its too well located and well done to not.

Hopefully they have deep pockets and can survive this market. Aren't they also the group  that's working on the eyesore (Daze Inn), redevelopment in downtown?

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I really didn't expect this to fill up overnight in this current market and any one who really thought it would hasn't been paying attention to the 

talk of all of the subleasing going on downtown with all the repositioning of many of the oil giants. Give them time and it will fill. Its too well located and well done to not.

Hopefully they have deep pockets and can survive this market. Aren't they also the group  that's working on the eyesore (Daze Inn), redevelopment in downtown?

I highly doubt the same group is working on this project. The days inn group is mostly hoteliers. 

On 9/9/2016 at 8:50 AM, rechlin said:

Definitely not vacant.  I remember when I went by it a week or so, it looked like one of the middle floors was occupied.  Can't remember what I saw, though (desks or other furniture or whatever, I don't remember).  But it is mostly vacant.

Yep, can confirm, I drove by it last night around 10 PM on the way to airport. looks like the 6th floor was occupied. All the lights were on as well. 

Anyone have info on the TABC application posted on a Gray facing window?  I drove by too quickly to take a picture or read the info, but was there a bar planned for the deck they're building on the Milam side?

• Like 2

On 9/12/2016 at 10:32 AM, Purdueenginerd said:

Yep, can confirm, I drove by it last night around 10 PM on the way to airport. looks like the 6th floor was occupied. All the lights were on as well. 

Drove by early yesterday morning - there was a Christmas tree in a second floor window...

• Like 2

Unfortunately it has several broken windows again, as of last month. The outer panes appear to have been since removed to stop the glass shards from falling (inner panes weren't broken), but I wonder how long it will take them to replace them.  It's too bad that the building was so beautifully renovated (sans repainting the sign) but is now being neglected.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 0:09 AM, H-Town Man said:

Is anyone inside it?

Currently four tenants occupying a chunk of the office space.

• Like 1

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/07/23/exclusive-city-department-focused-on-harvey.html

Exclusive: City department focused on Harvey recovery inks 60K SF lease in Midtown

By Cara Smith  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal

Jul 23, 2018, 2:47pm CDT

A city of Houston department that's developing Hurricane Harvey recovery programs is increasing its footprint and relocating to a newly delivered building in Midtown.

The city's housing and community development department leased 64,000 square feet in Central Square, a 280,000-square-foot Class A office building at 2100 Travis St. in Midtown, the department's deputy director Keith Bynam told the Houston Business Journal. The department will relocate from its 42,260-square-foot space at 601 Sawyer St. in early 2019.

The department signed a 10-year lease in Central Square, Juliet Garcia with Claremont Property Co. told the HBJ. Garcia is leasing the building on behalf of Claremont, which bought the property at 2100 Travis St. in 2014 and launched a multimillion-dollar renovation of the building. At the time, it had no tenants.

When the department first started to plan its relocation into Central Square, there weren't any plans to expand its footprint, Bynam said. The department was actually planning on slightly downsizing in the new Midtown building.

"The initial process of us starting this conversation … started before we really realized we were going to be taking on the complete recovery activity for the city," Bynam said.

An entire floor of the department's new space will be dedicated to its disaster recovery operation.

Central Square is 47 percent occupied. YogaWorks Midtown will relocate from 3030 Travis St. into 6,200 square feet in Central Square this summer. Houston-based Powers Brown Architecture LLC was the building's first tenant; the architecture firm moved into just under 12,000 square feet in the building in 2016.

Hopefully this means they'll finally replace the two broken windows on one of the upper floors that have been broken for 1.5 years (since October 2017).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Confusing picture.  The "weatherball" on top of the Texas National Bank building (921 Main @ McKinney) is visible on the left side of the picture.  Everything I've read says this was removed in 1964 (and ended up at Astroworld of all places).  But the building directly behind the Shell sign, wasn't built until 1967 (1200 Travis).  This picture was posted on a Facebook group and is notated as being published in the Houston Chronicle in 1969.  What am I missing here?

EDIT:  I'm not sure it belongs in this thread, so I started a new one with the same picture. 

Image may contain: skyscraper, sky, cloud, tree and outdoor

Edited by cdenker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cdenker said:

Confusing picture.  The "weatherball" on top of the Texas National Bank building (921 Main @ McKinney) is visible on the left side of the picture.  Everything I've read says this was removed in 1964 (and ended up at Astroworld of all places).  But the building directly behind the Shell sign, wasn't built until 1967 (1200 Travis).  This picture was posted on a Facebook group and is notated as being published in the Houston Chronicle in 1969.  What am I missing here?

EDIT:  I'm not sure it belongs in this thread, so I started a new one with the same picture. 

This doesn't answer your question, but it will help avoid further confusion. I'm pretty sure the weather ball was on the building at 1300 Main, not 921 Main.

You are absolutely correct. Here is the blog where I got the address, and I blindly just copied it, but they are incorrect!  

image.thumb.png.465eecea9973d2adc4785a18ebd6f22d.png

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another retail tenant for Central Square, 2100 Travis in Houston Midtown.

From Eater Houston:

Bonchon, a beloved South Korean chain known for its crispy fried chicken, will open a location in Downtown Houston.

A representative for Bonchon tells Eater that the location is set to arrive at 2100 Travis Street, Suite 110 in the coming months. 

An opening timeline for Bonchon’s Downtown debut has not been announced just yet, but expect it to arrive by the end of 2019.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/4/17/18411504/bonchon-downtown-houston-opening-2019-korean-fried-chicken

Yesterday:

Plan Review Fee
*BONCHON RESTAURANT
2100 TRAVIS ST 110 77002
RESTAURANT BUILD OUT
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Yesterday:

Plan Review Fee
*BONCHON RESTAURANT
2100 TRAVIS ST 110 77002
RESTAURANT BUILD OUT

I thought I saw Bouchon for a second and got really excited. One day...