Is Crime Getting Bad

Damn 4 houses have been hit (robbed) on my street that I know of (ya including mine), is it bad everywhere or what...after this I am really thinking about moving back out past the beltway again (damn that sounds so scary)...and in case you were wondering I live on Claremont..seems it all happens in the middle of the afternoon....

Damn 4 houses have been hit (robbed) on my street that I know of (ya including mine), is it bad everywhere or what...after this I am really thinking about moving back out past the beltway again (damn that sounds so scary)...and in case you were wondering I live on Claremont..seems it all happens in the middle of the afternoon....

Nope. The biggest problem I've had over in Eastwood is that people throw crap from their car windows. But that just comes with the territory when you own on major thoroughfares.

It's Xmas time and most crooks know that people have a lot of extra loot around in the form of presents is my guess.

• 4 weeks later...

The sad truth is no matter where you are it can happen. I would still rather be in the near East End than any other place in Houston. You couldn't pay me to live in SW Houston thats a death wish the eqivalent of living in South Central LA, Compton or East LA. People only live to be about 21 years old in those kind of places. The best advise I can give is watch out who you let in your house because they can just as easily just be scoping out what you have. I make sure you dont flaunt anything that makes your home look like you have $. I don't mean it has to look like a dump, just don't get an expensive auto, jewelry, etc.

These cowards hit houses while everyone is at work. Sad part is we think they are young punks but in reality they are freaks that have been living in the area for years and are always in and out of prison. Yes they are even in their 40's! Dad & son's thieving side by side. The reason the police dont respond too is because no one bothers to call them?

They assume most of the area is renters, undocumented so hence no calls, that is another sad stereotype that has been thrown upon our area. The media, etc assume everyone here is from south of the border. Such an injustice.

• 7 months later...
The sad truth is no matter where you are it can happen. I would still rather be in the near East End than any other place in Houston. You couldn't pay me to live in SW Houston thats a death wish the eqivalent of living in South Central LA, Compton or East LA. People only live to be about 21 years old in those kind of places. The best advise I can give is watch out who you let in your house because they can just as easily just be scoping out what you have. I make sure you dont flaunt anything that makes your home look like you have $. I don't mean it has to look like a dump, just don't get an expensive auto, jewelry, etc.

These cowards hit houses while everyone is at work. Sad part is we think they are young punks but in reality they are freaks that have been living in the area for years and are always in and out of prison. Yes they are even in their 40's! Dad & son's thieving side by side. The reason the police dont respond too is because no one bothers to call them?

They assume most of the area is renters, undocumented so hence no calls, that is another sad stereotype that has been thrown upon our area. The media, etc assume everyone here is from south of the border. Such an injustice.

I didn't know you lived in the East End until I started reading a little in this section. You have good taste. The East End is actually my favorite part of Houston. I like it even more than Montrose and the Heights. Even though there's a lot less going on over here, there's just something special about this area. It has an historic quality to it and that historic feel doesn't seem to be affected by gentrification. It also has a unique spirit to it, and the people who live there are some of the coolest in Houston. It's gritty and urban. I have been dating a girl who lives in the East End, and you just don't get that uncomfortable feeling that you'd get in SW Houston. I actually felt surprisingly safe around there, even though my date's apartments were surrounded by industrial looking stuff and abandoned buildings. I would expect burglaries to happen anywhere. I think the string of thefts had something to do with opportunists who know the area and want to take advantage of the unsuspecting new people.

I didn't know you lived in the East End until I started reading a little in this section. You have good taste. The East End is actually my favorite part of Houston. I like it even more than Montrose and the Heights. Even though there's a lot less going on over here, there's just something special about this area. It has an historic quality to it and that historic feel doesn't seem to be affected by gentrification. It also has a unique spirit to it, and the people who live there are some of the coolest in Houston. It's gritty and urban. I have been dating a girl who lives in the East End, and you just don't get that uncomfortable feeling that you'd get in SW Houston. I actually felt surprisingly safe around there, even though my date's apartments were surrounded by industrial looking stuff and abandoned buildings. I would expect burglaries to happen anywhere. I think the string of thefts had something to do with opportunists who know the area and want to take advantage of the unsuspecting new people.

I believe in up front honesty and no sugar coating. While I know this area isn't exactly Beverly Hills, there are good bargains to be found and we do have common problems as other areas.

Oddly enough this weekend I did some rummaging through family archives and found many, many, many photos of Near East End buildings, schools and neighborhood venues in original state. Quite a contarst to now but the good news is there are several groups coming together to bring our Near East End in to its former glory. It can be done.

Now, if we can only rid the area of those pesky eye sore bus depots.

What ALL the pockets of our area need to do is ban together instead of petty bickering as to who's is a better nabe to move into. Then maybe we would make some progress.

Truth, yes, yes,... :P

West-central Houston as a whole is Gilbert and Sullivan compared to many of the apartment complexes on the southwest Houston.

Speaking of SW Hou see todays Chron for a gut buster. Haif comments are apparently a universal sentiment.

Even birds don't want to land there. :wacko: vultures maybe.

• The title was changed to Is Crime Getting Bad

Archived