McMansion Attack

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Big Homes Creep Into City Neighborhoods

Tired Commuters Move Home-Scraping Trend Into City Neighborhoods

DENVER (AP) -- Four summers ago at 7 a.m., the earth started moving and the ground shook, cracking the plaster in Jim Skelton's small brick home.

The house next door was being torn down, another blow to what Skelton calls the character of Denver's Platt Park neighborhood.

"They're destroying what made this a neighborhood," Skelton said.

McMansions. Faux chateaux. Scraping. Teardowns. All are becoming increasingly familiar terms across the nation. For years, tony suburbs like Kenilworth, Ill., Beverly Hills, Calif., and Westport, Conn., saw designer homes replaced by buildings two, three or four times as large.

Now, the trend is creeping from pricy, historical enclaves like Kenilworth and Denver's Washington Park into middle-class bastions like Denver's Platt Park and University Hills -- aging tracts of 1,000-square-foot bungalows built from the '20s through the '50s. Some families weary of long commutes from the newer suburbs are turning back inward and remaking older neighborhoods to suit modern tastes..................

more here http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061212/mcmansions.html?.v=1

BEFORE and AFTER

2h4coyb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McMansions. Faux chateaux. Scraping. Teardowns. All are becoming increasingly familiar terms across the nation. For years, tony suburbs like Kenilworth, Ill., Beverly Hills, Calif., and Westport, Conn., saw designer homes replaced by buildings two, three or four times as large.

I love how the negative connotation sticks so well, I wonder who first coined the term. :lol:

Very interesting article, thanx for the find, reminds me of the subject matter I read in Suburban Nation, as they used that term a lot and discussed how McMansions really ruined the look of a neigborhood through gentrification and poor use of land to home ratios. :angry:

Big Homes Creep Into City Neighborhoods

Tired Commuters Move Home-Scraping Trend Into City Neighborhoods

DENVER (AP) -- Four summers ago at 7 a.m., the earth started moving and the ground shook, cracking the plaster in Jim Skelton's small brick home.

The house next door was being torn down, another blow to what Skelton calls the character of Denver's Platt Park neighborhood.

"They're destroying what made this a neighborhood," Skelton said.

Now, the trend is creeping from pricy, historical enclaves like Kenilworth and Denver's Washington Park into middle-class bastions like Denver's Platt Park and University Hills -- aging tracts of 1,000-square-foot bungalows built from the '20s through the '50s. Some families weary of long commutes from the newer suburbs are turning back inward and remaking older neighborhoods to suit modern tastes..................

more here http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061212/mcmansions.html?.v=1

BEFORE and AFTER

2h4coyb.jpg

Cool!

I'm a Texan, so I love everything big. In the coming years, I wanna buy a big-ass home. It'd be nice if I didn't have to move out of Houston to have a house that's exubberating fantasticisms :unsure: Alright, maybe those last two words were too "So You Think You Can Dance'ish", but yea, I love homes the size of the ones like Memorial, River Oaks, and Sugar Creek. It's nice to see neighborhoods in Houston regain property value by rebuilding on land that otherwise was only high in appraisal because of location...

Bellaire basically. I can't even negotiate with people who do this how much I hate it and how overrated the whole I need 3500 square feet minimum for my wife/husband and two kids.

I think Houstonians should be allowed to have choices within Houston. 3500 sq ft. is just the starting point for many of us in the Gen-X. I know quite a few single people looking for 4500+. If you don't like that size, you don't have to buy, but what is annoying about someone else wanting mad living space for themselves?

icon8.gif

"Commutes are so long people are wanting places closer in," he said. "'I want a McMansion, but not out in McMansionville.'"

In Denver's University Hills neighborhood, Drew Damiano bought a 3,394-square foot house for precisely that reason.

"It was a waste of an hour of my day that I could spend time with my kids," said Damiano, who moved closer to downtown from its exurbia suburbs to the south.

well that's nice - might as well crap on the neighborhood while you're at it
I think Houstonians should be allowed to have choices within Houston. 3500 sq ft. is just the starting point for many of us in the Gen-X. I know quite a few single people looking for 4500+. If you don't like that size, you don't have to buy, but what is annoying about someone else wanting mad living space for themselves?

it's annoying if they tore down a perfectly good "modest" house that some might think had a hundred times more character (that's the key, though, for me - character v. shallow)

Try looking at it this way......

People that work in Dwntwn-Med Center-Uptown with high paying jobs that have a desire to live in these type of homes, buying within the city limits instead of the burbs. Paying city taxes and using less fossil fuels to commute long distances to mcmansions in the burbs when they can have that same or better mcmansion in the city, closer to work and possibly play areas. Would that not be worth the detruction of a few old homes?

People that work in Dwntwn-Med Center-Uptown with high paying jobs that have a desire to live in these type of homes, buying within the city limits instead of the burbs. Paying city taxes and using less fossil fuels to commute long distances to mcmansions in the burbs when they can have that same or better mcmansion in the city, closer to work and possibly play areas. Would that not be worth the detruction of a few old homes?

not that it matters, because has happened forever, is happening, and will continue to happen, but no...i personally do not think it's worth it.

i can't believe that there aren't other solutions, besides the destruction of "old" homes

i also understand that there is a market for these new mega-homes, and i can see some of the reasons of why someone may consider purchasing one.

that being said, i do not understand or agree with those reasons and will never see eye to eye with or have respect for them

I agree with Moonman for that very reason. Also, cities like Woodlands, Katy, and Sugarland thrive off of higher-income residents wanting to move there because they get more space for their price, and quality of life and style of arcihtecture look new and modern. Houston gets hurt as a result of the population decrease and as a result of that, a decrease in tax revenue. With McMansions, Houston can compete with that market. Hopefully, neighborhoods in Houston will eventually be able to be totally revitalized to the point where they look better than First Colony/Woodlands-type neighborhoods. This modest home thing may work for the next 5-10 years, but come 20 years, a lot of those neighborhoods could become rundown because of low maintainance, lack of modernization, and lack of interest of the homes except to sell with homes that the buyer does something to it.

it's annoying if they tore down a perfectly good "modest" house that some might think had a hundred times more character (that's the key, though, for me - character v. shallow)

To me, I'd rather buy a new big home than a "modest", 30-year old home at the same price. But McMansions themself aren't shallow at all. What IS shallow to me are the neighborhoods that have built houses where each house looks the same as the house beside it. THAT'S a lack of developmental character. The size itself, cool, but make each home unique to whoever's gonna buy it.

I'll stick with my 87 yo old house with the original roof that has survived umpteen hurricanes.

House003-1.jpg

You can have all the poorly built, sterile, future ghetto McMansions.

I too dislike the McMansion phenomenon. For me, however, the problem is the repetitive, pseudo-historical architecture that builders and upper-middle class Houstonians seem to gravitate toward. I can't fathom spending $1,000,000+ on a new home that a builder designed.

At the same time, the housing stock in many of Houston's older neighborhoods is not great, and I can't really blame people for not wanting to live in a 1000sf house and pay property taxes on a $200,000+ lot, which is exactly what would happen if one were to buy a cottage/bungalow in Bellaire, WestU, Rice Military, etc.

I will take the mcmansion. These older homes have no garage space for my full sized SUV or my wifes car or the cars for each of my boys. I will take new over a decrepit money pit anyday. If im going to spend a few hundred thousand dollars on property, i dont want to have to turn around and sink thousands more into renovations, i am just not that dedicated ;)

I will take the mcmansion. These older homes have no garage space for my full sized SUV or my wifes car or the cars for each of my boys. I will take new over a decrepit money pit anyday. If im going to spend a few hundred thousand dollars on property, i dont want to have to turn around and sink thousands more into renovations, i am just not that dedicated ;)

Speaking of McMansions, I wish there were more backyard space for higher-priced homes. I looked through Royal Oaks a couple weeks ago out of curiousity of what a million dollars buys in a Houston gated community, and even though the homes themselves were fairly big, the backyard was small as hell, with nothing to offer but the view of a golf course and other people's backyards. Are backyards a turn-off these days in the market?

Cool!

", but yea, I love homes the size of the ones like Memorial, River Oaks, and Sugar Creek. It's nice to see neighborhoods in Houston regain property value by rebuilding on land that otherwise was only high in appraisal because of location...

Dj, one of the problems with homes of this size being erected is the home to lot ratio. In Memorial and River Oaks many of the lots are at least half an acre, thus a perfect lot for a big home.

Speaking of McMansions, I wish there were more backyard space for higher-priced homes. I looked through Royal Oaks a couple weeks ago out of curiousity of what a million dollars buys in a Houston gated community, and even though the homes themselves were fairly big, the backyard was small as hell, with nothing to offer but the view of a golf course and other people's backyards. Are backyards a turn-off these days in the market?

Those who can afford the really expensive homes tend to be a bit older and are either empty-nesters or are preparing to be. This trend is particularly pronounced within HISD or other less prestigious school districts. As long as they've got just enough room for a jacuzzi or small pool, backyards tend to be the very first things to get cut out of these buyers' budgets because they just aren't used as much, but contribute greatly to the cost. Again, the cost is a matter that is more pronounced within the city.

Dj, one of the problems with homes of this size being erected is the home to lot ratio. In Memorial and River Oaks many of the lots are at least half an acre, thus a perfect lot for a big home.

Just like the once in Nottingham Forest, those are expensive, but worth it, especially with all the lush foliage.

Good point, mate. I take it that you don't see that as much (half-acre lots) in Houston because of the cost of that lot?

I'll stick with my 87 yo old house with the original roof that has survived umpteen hurricanes.

House003-1.jpg

You can have all the poorly built, sterile, future ghetto McMansions.

Your house rocks, by the way.

Owning an old, smaller house and being, not just content, but very happy to the point where you would never want to leave, is for a relatively tiny segment of the population. It's for people who tend to be artistic and still retain a healthy amount of childlike fascination with many aspects of the world. Less is more in terms of material items and atmosphere, character and ambiance/mood mean a lot. So, as the cities continue to densify and it all shakes down, the remaining historic homes will be in equilibrium with the type of people who love them; few in numbers, especially in Houston where protections are thin/nil.

Good point, mate. I take it that you don't see that as much (half-acre lots) in Houston because of the cost of that lot?

There are places in/near town with large lots that are affordable...Garden Villas, and to a lesser extent Garden Oaks come to mind. But yes...for the most part...people can't afford that much land.

Now....from a developer's prospective, the smaller the lot, the more houses they can build, for pretty much the same amount of infrastructure (roads, sewer, grading, etc). That means more profit.

Owning an old, smaller house and being, not just content, but very happy to the point where you would never want to leave, is for a relatively tiny segment of the population. It's for people who tend to be artistic and still retain a healthy amount of childlike fascination with many aspects of the world. Less is more in terms of material items and atmosphere, character and ambiance/mood mean a lot. So, as the cities continue to densify and it all shakes down, the remaining historic homes will be in equilibrium with the type of people who love them; few in numbers, especially in Houston where protections are thin/nil.

That depends on the buyer. But I see where you're coming from.

Now....from a developer's prospective, the smaller the lot, the more houses they can build, for pretty much the same amount of infrastructure (roads, sewer, grading, etc). That means more profit.

Yea, I noticed that. That's real annoying, too. There's nothing original. Just duplicated housing projects. Same paint jobs. Same floor plans. Everything. <_<

Thanks!

Most of the remodels I'm familiar with have been done by retirees and professionals like myself who have up-dated the mechanics and added on-keeping with the current style-and enjoy the advantages of close-in living in addition to living in something more authentic than a poorly copied VicMansion. At least if you're going to copy a style, do it well.

Most of my artsy friends live in Independence Heights tin cans because the Heights are just too expensive for them anymore. They are great living and working studio spaces but I'm not the tin can kinda guy...yet

Right now I'm building just under 8k square foot on a 1/4 acre lot in Bellaire, but it is far from what I'd call a McMansion. The house, unlike most around it, takes design and architectural details in to account. But sadly, it is surrounded by the SugarBrick and Faux-Stucco facade'd McMansion of the day. The house is relatively flood proof though, lol.

Thanks. 2br/2b/2 car garage and a big back and side yard. Just the right size for my husband and me. :D

I am hoping to eventually have that comfort level and trust again to have my "husband" and I live together. I was so jaded by the last one.

Lucky you ^_^ .

I digress . . .

I am hoping to eventually have that comfort level and trust again to have my "husband" and I live together. I was so jaded by the last one.

Lucky you ^_^ .

I digress . . .

The real test is staying together while building or remodeling-McMansion or not. ;)

Right now I'm building just under 8k square foot on a 1/4 acre lot in Bellaire, but it is far from what I'd call a McMansion. The house, unlike most around it, takes design and architectural details in to account. But sadly, it is surrounded by the SugarBrick and Faux-Stucco facade'd McMansion of the day. The house is relatively flood proof though, lol.

8K SF. Thats huge! I'd get lost in something like that.

8K SF. Thats huge! I'd get lost in something like that.

What's strange is that the homes that were torn down were probably considered large, if not huge, back when they were new and likely few would've imagined them being replaced by mansion-sized homes.

Will 8K sq. ft one day be considered "too small"? Don't laugh.

Archived