What Are You Reading?

lockmat

I'm just trying to get as much knowledge as I can on planning, transit, sprawl and anything related.

These are the books I've checked out so far:

The Creative City

Home From Nowhere

Creating Successful Communities; A Guidebook to Growth Managment Strategies

Breaking the Gridlock; Moving Toward Transportation That Works

I've been referred to a few others, but wanted to know if anyone has more.

Thanks

I'm just trying to get as much knowledge as I can on planning, transit, sprawl and anything related.

The Creative City

Home From Nowhere

Thanks

How about "On the Road" by Kerouak? It's not exactly the study of transportation that you may be seeking, but I guarantee it's a worthwhile perspective.

Quotes

"I read On the Road in maybe 1959. It changed my life like it changed everyone else's."

-- Bob Dylan

"If you're working with words, it's got to be poetry. I grew up with [the books of Jack] Kerouac. If he hadn't wrote On The Road, the Doors would have never existed. Morrison read On The Road down in Florida, and I read it in Chicago. That sense of freedom, spirituality, and intellectuality in On The Road -- that's what I wanted in my own work."

- Ray Manzarek

"After 1957 On the Road sold a trillion levis and a million espresso machines, and also sent countless kids on the road...the alienation, the restlessness, the dissatisfaction were already there waiting when Kerouac pointed out the road."

- William Burroughs

"That's not writing at all - it's typing."

- Truman Capote, on the story that On the Road was written in three weeks [1]

"It was actually OK to write like this! Who knew?"

- Thomas Pynchon (from the introduction to his Slow Learner anthology)

How about "On the Road" by Kerouak? It's not exactly the study of transportation that you may be seeking, but I guarantee it's a worthwhile perspective.

Quotes

"I read On the Road in maybe 1959. It changed my life like it changed everyone else's."

-- Bob Dylan

"If you're working with words, it's got to be poetry. I grew up with [the books of Jack] Kerouac. If he hadn't wrote On The Road, the Doors would have never existed. Morrison read On The Road down in Florida, and I read it in Chicago. That sense of freedom, spirituality, and intellectuality in On The Road -- that's what I wanted in my own work."

- Ray Manzarek

"After 1957 On the Road sold a trillion levis and a million espresso machines, and also sent countless kids on the road...the alienation, the restlessness, the dissatisfaction were already there waiting when Kerouac pointed out the road."

- William Burroughs

"That's not writing at all - it's typing."

- Truman Capote, on the story that On the Road was written in three weeks [1]

"It was actually OK to write like this! Who knew?"

- Thomas Pynchon (from the introduction to his Slow Learner anthology)

What's it about?

The Creative City

Home From Nowhere

Thanks

The foundation for critical analysis of these strategies is a solid basis in microeconomics and cost-benefit analysis. If you can get a copy of it, I'd recommend the following:

Mishan, Edward J. Cost-Benefit Analysis. 1988 ed.

It is out of print, so you'll have to find it on the web. There are still used copies floating around. Be sure to get the 1988 edition, and not any of the others. If it doesn't make sense at first, study microeconomics until it does.

What's it about?

I was kinda kidding. The books you listed seemed really dry and technical. On the Road is a stream of consciousness thing that isn't really about anything. It's a diary, really, of Sal Paradise's trips, bumming across America, meeting people, working odd jobs, sleeping in the street, trying out drugs and satisfying the munchies with some killer "hamburgs".

This book was cool before people really knew what cool was.

The foundation for critical analysis of these strategies is a solid basis in microeconomics and cost-benefit analysis. If you can get a copy of it, I'd recommend the following:

It is out of print, so you'll have to find it on the web. There are still used copies floating around. Be sure to get the 1988 edition, and not any of the others. If it doesn't make sense at first, study microeconomics until it does.

Yeah, Sal would hate that.

"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." -- J. Kerouac

The Creative City

Home From Nowhere

Thanks

Google.

The Creative City

Home From Nowhere

Thanks

Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream

Picture Windows: How the Suburbs Happened

The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York

You can probably find them on Amazon.

Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream

Picture Windows: How the Suburbs Happened

The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York

You can probably find them on Amazon.

I started to read Suburban Nations at Borders and then went to the library to check it out, but they didn't have it. I'm def. gonna read that one.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll def read those as well.

I was kinda kidding. The books you listed seemed really dry and technical. On the Road is a stream of consciousness thing that isn't really about anything. It's a diary, really, of Sal Paradise's trips, bumming across America, meeting people, working odd jobs, sleeping in the street, trying out drugs and satisfying the munchies with some killer "hamburgs".

This book was cool before people really knew what cool was.

Actually, I'm halfway done with the Transportation one and it's been really good and interesting. I've read the prefaces for the other ones and they seem pretty good too. I'm trying to get information anyway, not entertainment.

Awesome. You come through again, thanks. I really want to get a good grasp on economics too because I know it'll be more than beneficial.

• 3 months later...

i'm looking for input from you avid information geeks out there. i'm interested to know what non-fiction books you think everyone should read and what non-fiction book or books changed your world view. i guess, if a fiction book effected your world view, that would be fine too. i.e. ayn rand's the fountainhead (haven't read it yet, but i own it)

here goes:

the bible (whether you believe it's fiction or not, very endearing.....especially proverbs.)

mere christianity - c.s.lewis

a grief observed - c.s.lewis

surprised by joy - c.s.lewis

when character was king - peggy noonan

the hiding place - corrie ten boom

c.s.lewis and the bright shadow of holiness - gerard reed

blue like jazz, nonreligious thoughts on christian spirituality - donald miller

homosexuality, a new christian ethic - elizabeth moberly

inside out - dr. larry crabb

the fingerprint of god - dr. hugh ross

creation and time - dr. hugh ross

that being said, i've stumbled on kierkergaard (sp?) and the writings of st. augustine, but have not started reading those yet. i would have never known who kierkergaard is had it not been for the movie "the addiction" with lili taylor. if you wax philosophical at times and like to tackle the big questions, this is a movie for you. i've read every article i can get my hands on by camille paglia (she's back at salon.com by the way). i've added her books to my amazon.com wishlist.

the reason i put these questions to you, oh mighty haifers, is to broaden my search for knowledge on the human condition. whether a book is historical, a biography, commentary on other works, philosophy, religious, i'd like to know your thoughts.

thanks, in advance!!!!

i'm looking for input from you avid information geeks out there. i'm interested to know what non-fiction books you think everyone should read and what non-fiction book or books changed your world view. i guess, if a fiction book effected your world view, that would be fine too. i.e. ayn rand's the fountainhead (haven't read it yet, but i own it)

Thanks for sharing your list. I love the C.S. Lewis stuff. Here are a few:

The Labyrinth of Solitude - Octavio Paz

The Hungry Spirit - Charles Handy

100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

On The Road - Jack Kerouac

King Rat - James Clavell?

A Rumor About The Jews - Bronner

Culture and Organization - Geert Hoffstede

Thanks for sharing your list. I love the C.S. Lewis stuff. Here are a few:

The Labyrinth of Solitude - Octavio Paz

The Hungry Spirit - Charles Handy

100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

On The Road - Jack Kerouac

King Rat - James Clavell?

A Rumor About The Jews - Bronner

Culture and Organization - Geert Hoffstede

i can see from these titles that there are many on your list i will be interested in. thank you.

Recently out, Zell Miller's, A National party no more

Ronald Kessler's, A Matter of Character

Books I read that changed or shaped my life:

The Bible-

Fastimes at Ridgemont High- Cameron Crowe

Catcher in The Rye- Salinger

Rage- Richard Bachman aka Stephen King

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Doug Adams

Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee

Your Best Life Now- Joel Osteen

I'm at a bit of a loss because I read primarily fiction, but I'm a sucker for book recommendations and think your list would be well-rounded by some modern secularist philosophy and less-charged books than the Fountainhead... I'd recommend...

- Rawls, A Theory of Justice

- Unger, Knowledge and Politics

- Foucault, The Order of Things

- Singer, Animal Liberation

Ok, so not necessarily less-charged, but perhaps a balance to the catholicism and objectivism (which are themselves pretty irreconcilable). In order of reputation, I'd rank them: Rawls, Foucault, Singer, Unger - though some would put Foucault first. Mind you, these books are just food for thought; none will give you the road map to life that Lewis and Rand offer. Kiergegaard is a solid choice and, if you go down that path, then also try Nietzche, Sartre, and Wittgenstein.

Paglia is well worth your time and, for balance, read some [maybe just a very little] McKinnon and Dworkin (A. not R., though R. for argument's sake, too).

Fiction, I'd especially recommend a sampling of...

- Borges, [anything - esp. if you like Ralo's Paz suggestion]

- George Saunders, [anything]

Enjoy. If you read any of the above, would like to hear your thoughts.

[Update: Edited to second TJones on Bradbury - Farenheit 451 or any of his other classics.]

Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities. If you're interested in architecture or city planning, her name will crop up. Don't let the bulk intimidate you; she writes beautifully without preaching, and it reads as enjoyably as a novel. Fifty years later her ideas are still pertinent; the revival of Toronto, Ontario is often cited as a successful example of her principles at work.

Ralph Nader. Unsafe at Any Speed That this book sparked outrage when first published now seems puzzling; why is the notion that cars ought not kill people so outlandish? His concerns about auto safety sparked public discussion and lead to the creation of national safety standards. His criticism of the Chevrolet Corvair is merely the tip of the iceberg; the safety issues he addressed (and which were implemented) have saved countless lives.

Barry Goldwater, Conscience of a Conservative. For perspective.

Betty Edwards, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Yes, this is an art instruction book - but so much more. Her theories makes one aware of the mystery and potential of the mind while remaining firmly grounded in common sense. And you might learn how to draw, too!

Recently out, Zell Miller's, A National party no more

Ronald Kessler's, A Matter of Character

Books I read that changed or shaped my life:

The Bible-

Fastimes at Ridgemont High- Cameron Crowe

Catcher in The Rye- Salinger

Rage- Richard Bachman aka Stephen King

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Doug Adams

Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee

Your Best Life Now- Joel Osteen

Stupid me! Which of these are non-fiction? ;)

i guess, if a fiction book effected your world view, that would be fine too.

Mary Flannery O'Connor continues to fascinate me. Maybe it's a Catholic thing, but her tales of grace and redemption move me as few writers can. She's funny as hell, in a poker-faced sort of way; her moral imperitive is overwhelming. I read her stories over and over until my head hurts; then, I read them again and laugh like a crazy man.

Start with her short stories. If you're anything like me, they'll leave you puzzled and annoyed - and compelled to ask "What the hell did she mean by that!?"

She has an ear for dialect which rivals Twain.

Buy any collection which includes A Good Man is Hard To Find or Everything That Rises Must Converge.

Stupid me! Which of these are non-fiction? ;)

:lol::lol::lol:<_<:rolleyes::P;) JERK ! Go read your PETA pamphlets.

That Goldwater book is a good choice though. If you like that, or just need MORE perspective, then you should read A Matter of Character.

The book Rage has since gone out of print here in the U.S. because of the Columbine shootings and the like. I read this book back in about 1989 or 1990, and it immediately came to mind when the school shootings broke out.

great suggestions all.

tmrariar, i think you get the direction that i'm going. great advice. thanks.

keep 'em coming guys. i'm compiling a list. i should be through reading by 2045.

tjones, there are five in your list i've felt i should read but haven't. we weren't required in christian school to read books like "catcher in the rye". my nephew is reading fahrenheit 451 for class this semester.

Mary Flannery O'Connor continues to fascinate me. Maybe it's a Catholic thing, but her tales of grace and redemption move me as few writers can. She's funny as hell, in a poker-faced sort of way; her moral imperitive is overwhelming. I read her stories over and over until my head hurts; then, I read them again and laugh like a crazy man.

Start with her short stories. If you're anything like me, they'll leave you puzzled and annoyed - and compelled to ask "What the hell did she mean by that!?"

She has an ear for dialect which rivals Twain.

Buy any collection which includes A Good Man is Hard To Find or Everything That Rises Must Converge.

i think i'm going to like flannery o'connor too. also, the barry goldwater book intrigues me. thanks.

great suggestions all.

tmrariar, i think you get the direction that i'm going. great advice. thanks.

keep 'em coming guys. i'm compiling a list. i should be through reading by 2045.

tjones, there are five in your list i've felt i should read but haven't. we weren't required in christian school to read books like "catcher in the rye". my nephew is reading fahrenheit 451 for class this semester.

I was required to read "1984" in Highschool also. I probably would have read it on my own, but my English teacher was a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so she made us read it. She was also the best teacher I've ever had.

My father was a huge reader, me, not so much. "Catcher" doesn't have quite the impact when you get to our age Bach, and realize that teenagers really don't know Jack, so you might get a little bored with it, but still a decent read, it will probably make you think back and say, "That's exactly how I felt back then." If you haven't read Cameron Crowe's "Fast Times...", I suggest you read it. I read it for the nostalgia, it is totally different from the movie, and there is a great couple of chapters about Disneyland, and having your "first time".

My Own Country by Abraham Verghese

About an AIDS epidemic that hits rural Tennessee in 1985 and how this doctor and a conservative population dealt with it and overcame their pre-concieved notions about the disease.

Diliberate Indifference by Howard Swindal

About racial injustice, respect and human decency in East Texas.

The Art of Understanding Yourself by Cecil Osborne

Just read it.

The City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre

Fiction based on historical fact in Calcutta. The best description I can give you is it's a story about how charity, love and grace can co-exist and at times overcome death, callousness and disease.

Beyond Love by Dominique Lapierre

Another fiction based on actual events. Again based on personal courage, grace, hope, love and charity for lifes outcasts whether they be Lepers or early victems of AIDS.

Read "If" by Rudyard Kipling when you feel things are slipping out of your control.

I like Lapierre in the two listed above because of the compelling and very true-to-life messages he sends.

I like Rand because I think she is a great descriptive writer though much of her philosopy is a fantasy.

If you are going to read her I suggest The Fountainhead first and Atlas Shrugged second.

All of the above plus more has informed my life's outlook.

Good luck. B)

• 2 weeks later...

i had hoped for more avid readers on haif. i appreciate the input, so far, but i thought for sure someone would have some classics to suggest.

christian school didn't expose us to many of the classics because they were more "humanistic".

anyone love classic literature? in my mind, i think the classics are dante, homer, not necessarily the romantics. i guess many of these will be fiction, but they shed light on the human condition.

thanks, in advance.

Archived