Galveston County Housing Boom

Something interesting I am seeing as well. More and more investors are going in on proposed projects from Galveston to Rockport. I viewed a proposal for a $200 million project in Rockport, as well as another one for $300 million. I am starting to see more and more activity along the Texas coast. I believe that gambling is the catalyst for this. It is only a matter of time, and what we are seeing now is proof.

I don't think so.

If Texas allows gambling, it's not like you'll only be able to do it on the coast.

Wow, that seems like the most likely place. Why not MidtownCoog?

These newer neighborhoods in La Marque are Galveston's bedroom communities. My mother's entire neighborhood in La Marque are from Galveston and are employed at UTMB.

In fact, there was a whole article about how many school-age children in Galveston are disappearing; they are moved with their families to places like League City and Texas City.

There is a new charter school (opening 2007) in Galveston that is offering an alternative to GISD, while curbing the exodus from the island. I swear this island is a small New Orleans.

There is a new charter school (opening 2007) in Galveston that is offering an alternative to GISD, while curbing the exodus from the island. I swear this island is a small New Orleans.

What is the name of the charter school?

The article, by the way, cited housing prices as the main reason why children are leaving GISD.

EDIT: The school is Ambassadors Preparatory Academy: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...32f17fded3732a4

EDIT: Article is at http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...ecba57d52dda271

What is the name of the charter school?

The article, by the way, cited housing prices as the main reason why children are leaving GISD.

EDIT: The school is Ambassadors Preparatory Academy: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...32f17fded3732a4

EDIT: Article is at http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...ecba57d52dda271

Yeah that's it, Ambassadors Preparatory Academy.

• 2 months later...

The Galveston County Daily News' editor recently gave his opinion on the cost of living in Galveston also...

Link

How has other "tourist towns" dealt with situations where the rich (among other factors) have driven out the middle class?

My Mother reluctantly left the island three months ago, and moved to Texas City because of this very reason. 52 years on the island, and now the closest she can get is a glimpse from across the bay. <_<

Some people say that Galveston may become the next Santa Monica.

Do you guys feel like this will happen?

I don't think that would happen since the beaches and the water aren't that nice. I guess they can do something about the beaches, but not the water.

I don't think that would happen since the beaches and the water aren't that nice. I guess they can do something about the beaches, but not the water.

If you've ever been to Santa Monica, Ca the beaches are cleaner looking, but I don't think the water is any better by any means. The sand is different, but I think the seaweed & dead jellyfish is the big difference IMHO. Santa monica doesn't have florida clear water. It's dark like galveston.

Jason, how was your mom forced out of galveston? was she a homeowner and taxes went up? Or was it insurance ( which isn't a result of the housing boom so much as storms)?

If you've ever been to Santa Monica, Ca the beaches are cleaner looking, but I don't think the water is any better by any means. The sand is different, but I think the seaweed & dead jellyfish is the big difference IMHO. Santa monica doesn't have florida clear water. It's dark like galveston.

Jason, how was your mom forced out of galveston? was she a homeowner and taxes went up? Or was it insurance ( which isn't a result of the housing boom so much as storms)?

Yeah, it was the taxes. She looked for another home on the island, but she could get something twice as nice on the mainland just 15 mins away for the same price. My mom would look at house prices in Galveston and would really be surprised. Her favorite quote would be, "I remember when they couldn't give that house away". The funny thing is that her ENTIRE neighborhood is from Galveston. They commute to work each day to the island, then back home.

In some ways, it looks like League City may be a double... or triple suburb.

I know that people who live in League City often commute to Galveston or the Space Center. I wonder how many of the people of League City commute to central Houston?

Yeah, it was the taxes. She looked for another home on the island, but she could get something twice as nice on the mainland just 15 mins away for the same price. My mom would look at house prices in Galveston and would really be surprised. Her favorite quote would be, "I remember when they couldn't give that house away". The funny thing is that her ENTIRE neighborhood is from Galveston. They commute to work each day to the island, then back home.

You know I was talking to someone who lives in Galvesrton on the west end and she told me that there isn't much of a middle class left. It all lower class or wealthier people. When I got my tax bill I almost fell over. Then I got my insurance bill and did fall over :(

How much of a change was it for taxes for her?

• 3 months later...

There are several City of Galveston Police officers (working and retired) that have moved their families to the mainland. Most of these families used to live on the west end of Galveston in the Ostermeyer Rd. area. Now this clan has relocated to Santa Fe, clustered in a new community off Jack Beaver Rd. Kind of like "Copland" Galveston style. High property taxes are the culprit.

I wonder if the Dickinson, Santa Fe, League City, La Marque, and Texas City school districts should be merged into one. That way, all of the residents of southern mainland Galveston County (many of whom would be former GISD residents) would share educational resources.

Also, I notice Tiki Island is split between two school districts...

There are several City of Galveston Police officers (working and retired) that have moved their families to the mainland. Most of these families used to live on the west end of Galveston in the Ostermeyer Rd. area. Now this clan has relocated to Santa Fe, clustered in a new community off Jack Beaver Rd. Kind of like "Copland" Galveston style. High property taxes are the culprit.

Santa Fe huh? Fitting...

I wonder if the Dickinson, Santa Fe, League City, La Marque, and Texas City school districts should be merged into one. That way, all of the residents of southern mainland Galveston County (many of whom would be former GISD residents) would share educational resources.

Also, I notice Tiki Island is split between two school districts...

Oh Vicky! Several generations of leave me the ........ alone would have to be overcome to pull this one off :ph34r: .

Oh Vicky! Several generations of leave me the ........ alone would have to be overcome to pull this one off :ph34r: .

That also reminds me - what will a new influx of people from various sources (Galveston, the Rust Belt, etc.) change in these cities?

Archived