City Trys to Rehab Old Apartments

TheNiche

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4384702.html

Improving the quality of these apartments without raising rents would attract more stable tenants, reduce crime and attract new business investment that would provide job opportunities in the neighborhoods, said David Mincberg, the city's interim housing director.

If they pay for the rehabilitation of some complexes and not others, but keep the rental rates of the rehabbed complexes the same and do a better job screening tenants, they'd have the rehabbed complexes fill up to 100% occupancy really quickly, stealing occupants from other nearby complexes.

But that doesn't mean that the criminal element just picks up and leaves town. Seems like they'd all just get clustered together in a few really really crappy complexes. Isn't that what HPD is trying to avoid and crack down on?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4384702.html

If they pay for the rehabilitation of some complexes and not others, but keep the rental rates of the rehabbed complexes the same and do a better job screening tenants, they'd have the rehabbed complexes fill up to 100% occupancy really quickly, stealing occupants from other nearby complexes.

But that doesn't mean that the criminal element just picks up and leaves town. Seems like they'd all just get clustered together in a few really really crappy complexes. Isn't that what HPD is trying to avoid and crack down on?

It seems like the end result will be better housing for the same tenants. I suspect the only real way to solve the southwest Houston apartment problem is to tear down the existing complexes and replacing them with better designed, smaller complexes. The existing complexes are too big, and have too much interior public space (i.e. courtyards and parking lots). Perimeter fencing is a big problem too. The end result is that these places are like well designed fortresses for sketchy characters to hang out in and dominate. It's the same problem that plagued the highrise projects in Chicago, NY, etc. New kitchen fixtures is not going to solve this.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4384702.html

I'm not sure what I think of this. On one hand I am glad to see the potential of any improvement to Broadway Blvd & I am glad the mayor is focusing on that corridor, (for obvious selfish reasons, and because it is a gateway to Houston). On the other hand is this just something that is going to benefit the big apartment owners by getting the tax-payers to help fund rehabs for their properties? Meanwhile nothing changes but a little "lipstick on the pig"? The jury is still out on this one for me. Comments?

I'm not sure how I feel about this until I hear more. There are some complexes on Broadway that I frankly dont think they could be saved. There is no way they can be brought to code cost effectively. They've been ignored too long.

Also I think that if Broadway was to be upgraded to be more welcoming as one of the first streets visitors see, the apts should be replaced with retail establishments not re-painted crappy apartments owned by some slum lord.

It seems like the end result will be better housing for the same tenants. I suspect the only real way to solve the southwest Houston apartment problem is to tear down the existing complexes and replacing them with better designed, smaller complexes. The existing complexes are too big, and have too much interior public space (i.e. courtyards and parking lots). Perimeter fencing is a big problem too. The end result is that these places are like well designed fortresses for sketchy characters to hang out in and dominate. It's the same problem that plagued the highrise projects in Chicago, NY, etc. New kitchen fixtures is not going to solve this.

This is pretty much my feeling on the subject as well. The larger garden-style complexes have lots of room inside that's isolated from public view, and it tends to facilitate more criminal components (drug deals and the like) much in the way the highrise housing projects like Cabrini-Green and Robert Taylor facilitated.

Redesigning some of these complexes might be a start but in so far as dealing with crime in these complexes in general, HPD will have to initiate some new strategies as well.

The larger garden-style complexes have lots of room inside that's isolated from public view, and it tends to facilitate more criminal components (drug deals and the like) much in the way the highrise housing projects like Cabrini-Green and Robert Taylor facilitated.

Exactly. I find it very difficult to believe these funds are being allocated in good faith. I'm assuming that this is little more than freebie for the slum lords and/or developers. In fact, the much more troubling explanation would be that the decision makers are so naive as to think this will work.

Someone send this guy to city-hall!

Great post.

Quit wasting my tax dollars on this garbage! tear them down and let somebody who wants to invest in this city buy the lot.

I second that emotion. The City has no business propping up run down apartments that they don't own, nor do they have any business propping up low income people either. All they're doing is prolonging the inevitable sale and destruction of these monstrosities due to improving conditions in that SE area due to its location and gentrifiers in Glenbrook Valley and other areas nearby.

If they want to improve the crime level, then maybe they should instigate checks on WHO lives there, not WHAT they live in. For all we know, our tax money could be being used to give MS13 members better housing.

The really sad thing is that not to long ago the city had some low rent apartments that they were managing and they divested themselves of the properties about 5 to 7 years ago because of the high cost of maintance and up keep, plus the high crime rate of the units. Now they are looking to repeat history all over again.

Archived