Texas A&M University Basketball

ProHouston

The Aggies are now ranked #6 in both polls heading into a rematch with #11 LSU in Baton Rouge tomorrow night. The game will be broadcast on Channel 51 in Houston. This is the highest the Aggie basketball team has ever been ranked. Thank you Billy Gillespie!

Coming up this weekend is a big tilt against #1 UCLA in LA.

The Aggies are now ranked #6 in both polls heading into a rematch with #11 LSU in Baton Rouge tomorrow night. The game will be broadcast on Channel 51 in Houston. This is the highest the Aggie basketball team has ever been ranked. Thank you Billy Gillespie!

Coming up this weekend is a big tilt against #1 UCLA in LA.

As ecstatic as I've been following the Ags so far this season... my joy is slightly tempered in that we haven't been tested yet... at all.

Our defense didnt look nearly as great last game against Pacific that it had every other game.

It's good to get some national spotlight however and hopefully tomorrow and this wekeend we'll prove we deserve this ranking.

Gig'em !!

As ecstatic as I've been following the Ags so far this season... my joy is slightly tempered in that we haven't been tested yet... at all.

Exactly. I'm happy for the Aggies (even though I'm a UT fan :ph34r: ), but I don't know how well they're going to stand the remainder of the season, as things get tighter and teams start getting in the groove. Great start to the season though! Hats off to the Aggies.

EDIT: As an aside, ESPN has them as a possible No. 3 Seed. We shall see...

First road game ends in a loss.

LSU is good though and I commend ATM for actually playing someone decent in OCC play. Many teams don't these days and I think playing a tougher OOC schedule will help the Aggies. This is especially true since it seems the Big 12 is down this year.

First road game ends in a loss.

LSU is good though and I commend ATM for actually playing someone decent in OCC play. Many teams don't these days and I think playing a tougher OOC schedule will help the Aggies. This is especially true since it seems the Big 12 is down this year.

That was a tough loss, especially when I really thought we could win it. Oh well, we have some things to work on, no surprise. We're still a work in progress. The first half was fiercely competitive, we just had a really poor 2nd half offensively.

That's funny, they hadn't played anyone before LSU, nor anyone outside of Reid Arena. Lesson learned.

Have you followed Billy Gillespie? He scheduled the last 2 seasons heavy with lightweights and home games for a reason, to build a confident, successful program. He's done a better job than anyone could have asked. Now that we're legitimate contenders (proven by a successful showing last March), he's added in tougher opponents. These games, whether we win or lose, will only help us later on. Don't think this coach doesn't know what he's doing, he's got this whole thing scripted out.

Billy Clyde = Basketball god

Well UT and Barnes won't play the Coogs anymore either. And the series is tied. He said the don't need to play in Houston, but we could play them in Austin.

Of course, UT plays LSU at Toyota Center soon.

How weak is that?

SOP for State.

• 1 month later...

It's done! We did it! The Ags did what no other Big 12 South school has been able to do. We beat Kansas at home. Way to go Billy, way to go Ags! For those of you looking for a signature win, it doesn't get bigger than this!

Aggies 69

Jayhawks 66

Gig'em!

You mean nobody in the Big 12 could do what Oral Roberts did this season?

ORU defeated KU in Lawrence earlier this year. It's a GREAT win for ATM and Gillespie is the real deal but the entire Big 12 is overrated this season. Heck, Oklahoma State STILL hasn't won a road game and they just got blasted (12 point loss) by a woeful Colorado team in Boulder!

You mean nobody in the Big 12 could do what Oral Roberts did this season?

ORU defeated KU in Lawrence earlier this year. It's a GREAT win for ATM and Gillespie is the real deal but the entire Big 12 is overrated this season. Heck, Oklahoma State STILL hasn't won a road game and they just got blasted (12 point loss) by a woeful Colorado team in Boulder!

Nobody in the Big 12 South has done it in 10 years.

Maybe last season?

Kansas lost in the FIRST round to Bradley, a middle of the road Missouri Valley team that was later absolutely DESTROYED by Memphis in the tourney.

Before you scoff, UH went into Baton Rouge last year and beat LSU. LSU went on to the final four. LSU beat Tennesse, Alabama, Goergia, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss State, Ole Miss, and Kentucky at home last year (only home loss came to UH). LSU finished the regular season rated #13 in the RPI, 7 spots ahead of Kansas. LSU went on to beat Iona, TEXAS ATM, Duke, and TEXAS in the NCAA Tourney.

If that win wasn't good enough, UH also defeated Arizona last year. The Wildcats finished the regular season as the #23 team in the RPI, just 3 spots behind Kansas. Houston defeated Arizona JUST FOUR GAMES after Arizona defeated Kansas 61-49. Kansas lost home games to Nevada and K State last year. KSU finished the year rated some 50 plus RPI spots behind Houston!

Now, if you don't think there'd be a chance, then you can go all the way back to TWO years ago. In 2004-2005, Houston defeated Louisville and LSU. Both teams were RPI top 25 teams. UH also defeated Missouri. Mizzou split their season series with KU.

Maybe last season?

Kansas lost in the FIRST round to Bradley, a middle of the road Missouri Valley team that was later absolutely DESTROYED by Memphis in the tourney.

Before you scoff, UH went into Baton Rouge last year and beat LSU. LSU went on to the final four. LSU beat Tennesse, Alabama, Goergia, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss State, Ole Miss, and Kentucky at home last year (only home loss came to UH). LSU finished the regular season rated #13 in the RPI, 7 spots ahead of Kansas. LSU went on to beat Iona, TEXAS ATM, Duke, and TEXAS in the NCAA Tourney.

If that win wasn't good enough, UH also defeated Arizona last year. The Wildcats finished the regular season as the #23 team in the RPI, just 3 spots behind Kansas. Houston defeated Arizona JUST FOUR GAMES after Arizona defeated Kansas 61-49. Kansas lost home games to Nevada and K State last year. KSU finished the year rated some 50 plus RPI spots behind Houston!

Now, if you don't think there'd be a chance, then you can go all the way back to TWO years ago. In 2004-2005, Houston defeated Louisville and LSU. Both teams were RPI top 25 teams. UH also defeated Missouri. Mizzou split their season series with KU.

I guess if all that analysis makes you feel better, then so be it. All I know is that the Ags won and I have incredible reservations that any Cougar team since Dream and Clyde would be able to win in Kansas. But hey, that's why they play the games. Analysis paralysis means nothing compared to a real battle on the hardwood.

Archived