Towers Motor Hotel At 2130 W. Holcombe Blvd.

Willsatx

Hi everyone I am new to this board and wanted to see if I could get this answered please.

In the early 80's when I traveled to Houston with my family we would stay at a hotel close to Rice university and I think it was called the Rodeway Towers??? Not too sure about the name is was an older hotel and wondering if it was torn down and if so when. We stayed there from 1980-1984 every summer but forgot the name. Any help would be great.

• Like 1

Hi everyone I am new to this board and wanted to see if I could get this answered please.

In the early 80's when I traveled to Houston with my family we would stay at a hotel close to Rice university and I think it was called the Rodeway Towers??? Not too sure about the name is was an older hotel and wondering if it was torn down and if so when. We stayed there from 1980-1984 every summer but forgot the name. Any help would be great.

I would try searching Historic Houston sub forum i think i remember something about that building in there.

Welcome to the forum Willsatx

The Towers was located on Holcombe sort of across the street from where the Shamrock used to stand. I remember it because a friend of mine's brother rented a penthouse there for several years that he used to get away from his family and I had visited it a few times. The hotel fell into disrepair, was empty for more than a few years and finally the property was sold and it was torn down within the last two or three years. I believe they are currently building some type of medical building on the site.

• Like 1

yes, and it was the waterford geriatric center after that. even upon it's abandonment, the old hotel signs remained in the garage (and of course painted along the tops of the building). it was kind of eerie.

the life science plaza is going in there now:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3521

i noticed yesterday that major excavation has begun - underground parking/basement i'm assuming

• Like 1

yes, and it was the waterford geriatric center after that. even upon it's abandonment, the old hotel signs remained in the garage (and of course painted along the tops of the building). it was kind of eerie.

the life science plaza is going in there now:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=3521

i noticed yesterday that major excavation has begun - underground parking/basement i'm assuming

Hey everyone thanks for your answers and that was the hotel, My family would drive from SA to Houston every summer from 78-84. I remember in 78 and 79 we stayed at the hotel by astroworld that is now the grand plaza, and 80-84 we stayed at the towers. Thanks again I remember the place looked a bit creepy but we liked it a lot, I remember once our room was in the back and it looked a bit scary back there.

One last question, are there any pictures of the grand plaza by reliant stadium from the 70's? How is the hotel holding up now. Once again thanks for the responses you guys are awesome.

• Like 1

Hey Sev thanks for the pic, I remember when we stayed at the Astroworld hotel it was 78-79 not sure if that was the name of it or not. But remember my dad and I going to see the Astros play once and it was awesome. Thanks one again for both pics.

Does anyone have interior pics of the Astroworld hotel?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Towers Motor Hotel At 2130 W. Holcombe Blvd.
  • 1 year later...

This advertisement specifies the restaurants and clubs that were inside of the hotel. Thought I would add more knowledge to this thread!

From Rice University's The Campanile yearbook dated 1966.

The Towers Motor Hotel

The Friendliest in Houston

All The Comforts of a hotel and the Convenience of a Motel

Acres of Free Parking
3 Minutes to Domed Stadium
Special Rates by the Week or Month
Sir Roberts Club – Nightly Entertainment
3 Famous Places To Eat: Pancake Cottage - Bayou Steakery - Hofbrau. Excellent Food at Moderate Prices

2130 West Holcombe Blvd
Houston 25, Texas / MO 6-1461

dR30vSg.jpg