Meyerland Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

if you like soul food, and care to venture out to 1960 come check out D&D's Good Eats. it is not too far off I45 and you can eat a big a** serving of whatever soul food you like complete w/ a meat, 2 sides, cornbread, cake, and a soda, for about $7.50 ...

really is some of the best soul food around and the best prices you'll find anywhere.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv4280.asp

Barnaby's (3 locations in the greater Montrose area)

Brown Bag Deli (also owned by Barnaby's, really good sandwiches cheap)

Most chinese food places for lunch.

Teotijuacan (3 locations, one on Bellfort near Fondren)

Java-Java (11th st. Heights)

Buffalo Grill (2 locations)

Amazon Grill

Paulie's (2 locations, moderate but not dirt cheap)

Kelly's (2 locations, one near Hobby)

Frank's Grill (3 locations, Telephone Rd, by NW Mall & on Clinton)

Tel-Wink (Telephone & Winkler)

Dot Diner - Gulfgate

Dinner Bell Cafeteria (Wayside & Lawndale)

Cafe Express (numerous locations)

Baba Yega's (Pacific & Grant)

Niko Niko's (Montrose)

This is it Soul Food (W. Gray)

Some of these are better than others, some are cheaper than others, but its a good start.

Thanks for the reference bachanon; I'll have to get a copy of that.

For the OP, what's the budget? $5-10? Hard to find much below $5.

Kelley's - 5 locations, only one in the city limits is I-45 @ Park Place, the exit to Hobby. Daily lunch special (meat and 3) $6.49, dinner $6.99. Food is pretty bland and veggies overcooked to my taste but you'll leave full or with a doggie bag. Great, humorous review in the Press a couple of months ago. CFS is one of the best in town. I've seen a 350 lb. man unable to finish one of the Texas sized baked potatoes stuffed with chicken breast strips @ $6.99.

Dot Diner - part of the Pappas group; I-45 @ Woodridge, just inside S. Loop 610; lunch meat & 3 $7.99, dinner $8.99. You'll be full. Very good food for the price.

Indian buffets (ayce) - in the Village - Shiva, lunch $8.50, Bombay Brasserie, $10.50

Middle Eastern - DiMassi's - in the Village and Richmond @ Post Oak, plus other locations, lots to choose from, $10 including beverage.

Vietnamese sandwich shops - banh mi usually starting around $2: Les Givral on Milam, 'original' Givral's in the decrepid shopping center one block away (hold your nose until you get inside the restaurant and you'll be okay); Thiem Hung on Leeland or Pease, just east of 59, downtown.

NY Pizzeria - Beechnut across from Meyerland Center, Holcombe @ Greenbrier and other locations - lunch special is reasonable; slice of pie (from a 28" pie) starts at $3.50.

Kroger Signature stores - W. Bellfort @ S. Post Oak, below Meyerland, and many locations around town; ready made sandwiches starting @ $2.99; soup and salad bar; ready to bake pizzas for less than $10.

Antone's - our local poboy place, original owner's last location in the Village @ Dunstan and Kelvin, I think. Franchise locations all over town, poboys also available at Kroger's and other grocery stores. About a dozen varieties of poboys, all less than $5.

James Coney Island - in Meyerland Center and all over town; dogs, chili pie, chili. Easy to get out for less than $10.

My latest fave, Himalaya, Pakistani restaurant @ Hillcroft @ SW Fwy (SW corner) - lunch special, $6.50 - 7.50. huge amount of food, sampler plate sometimes includes 3 entrees; quirky little place but very good food. Excellent nan. Compared to the food the beverages are way overpriced.

Across Hillcroft is Sabri Nihari, another Pakistani place, with a $7.99 ayce lunch buffet. Food's not as good, but the nan is glazed with ghee (clarified butter) and is addictive.

sdmarc you're living in one of the best eating cities in the country -- we don't have the reputation, but it's true. Get out and enjoy. Several of the above have websites with menus; you can look all of them up on b4-u-eat.com for more reviews and maps.

Edited by brucesw

New to Houston and looking for great restaurants that a single guy with a limited budget should check out. I'm not a good cook and fast food is getting old.

Inner loop preferred. I'm in Meyerland.

Thanks!

It isn't in the inner loop, but it isn't too far from you.

Try driving west along Bellaire Blvd. Just keep on going past the Southwest Freeway until you get to Highway 6. This is Houston's Chinatown, but it also has a fair number of Vietnamese, Thai, and other places. Once you get to Highway 6, turn around and head back through the corridor...by then you should have a pretty good idea of what's available. There are places where you can get lunch for under $5.00.

Also try driving up Hillcroft from the Southwest Freeway to Richmond. This is an Indian, Pakistani, and Middle Eastern corridor.

if you like soul food, and care to venture out to 1960 come check out D&D's Good Eats. it is not too far off I45 and you can eat a big a** serving of whatever soul food you like complete w/ a meat, 2 sides, cornbread, cake, and a soda, for about $7.50 ...

really is some of the best soul food around and the best prices you'll find anywhere.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv4280.asp

I have lived here in this area 10 yrs and have never noticed this place before. Will have to give it a try ;)

This was one of Mayor Brown's favorite joints.

last time i went it was not good. the meat loaf was VERY bland.

this works. i have a friend who used to love pappasito's. as many of you know, the portions are huge and it's not cheap. we would order an enchilada a la carte with beans and/or rice. we could eat for less than $6 each.

also, at van loc in midtown, you can order 6 vietnamese egg rolls for $4.95. some vietnamese restaurants are cheaper than that. a bowl of pho can run you $4 to $6 and it is a very enjoyable and filling meal.

something else that has saved me a load of money (i have a very athletic, hungry teenager) are fundraiser coupon books. "buy one get one free" is a godsend when you have to feed two people (or one really hungry person). a free meal at ninfa's is an $8.95 value. free buffalo shrimp at hooter's, $10.95. i've literally saved hundreds of dollars this past year using these books. we have seldom gone to restaurants we didn't already patronize. if only our vietnamese restaurants would buy in to these books.

stresses me out just reading this.

Why's that?

i'm not a coupon-er nor do i try and figure out what to order so that i can share with someone else to get it cheaper. i just want to go and enjoy a good meal. a little too much overhead for me, that's all. if the restaurant is too much, i just don't go. houston has too many cheap eats to worry about overhead.

Edited by musicman

i'll have to second tel-wink (although getting a table can be a headache sometimes - sit at the counter instead). it's not to far east on loop 610

also - house of pies is always cheap n greasy, and open 24 hours (on kirby and on westheimer, too)

for some reason i am blanking on restaurants in the meyerland/bellaire area - maybe because there isn't anything worth mentioning (meyerland plaza chain restaurants come to mind).

Edited by sevfiv

Back in the early 70s when I was fresh out of the Navy, and broke on my butt, I survived for periods at a time by eating one meal a day at buffets. Pancho's was very cheap back then, and I ate there for lunch 7 days in a row, the last day being a Saturday. A friend offered to take me out to dinner Saturday evening, and guess where he wanted to go?

Eight meals at Pancho's in seven days - that may be a record!

Single guy? Limited budget?

Hit Kona Grill @ the Galleria on thursday and friday evenings. They have happy hour form 4-7, with half price appetizers. The maui tacos are good, as well as the pizzas.

That together with cheap beer and plenty of good looking girls is a great way to start off a weekend.... and if you can make it, the reverse happy hour starts up again from 9-11pm.

Edited by Sebastian De La Ghetto!

I recently started going to Tacos A Go-Go (Main @ Alabama, by the HCC/Ensemble rail stop.) Not ultra cheap, but affordable. Be sure to try the green sauce.

edit: and of course, we can't forget Harry's (318 Tuam @ Bagby). Cheap and very, very filling. Houston Press review here.

Latina Cafe (Fairview near Shepherd) - cheap but good Caribbean

El Rey (Washington Ave & Main St downtown)

El Rey's is great and cheap.

Is Cha-Cho's still open on Westheimer? I didn't go often but when I went it was cheap and I was full.

• 1 month later...
New to Houston and looking for great restaurants that a single guy with a limited budget should check out. I'm not a good cook and fast food is getting old.

Inner loop preferred. I'm in Meyerland.

Thanks!

Well, for cheap , decent food, try to go see if The Original Pasta Co. is still open over there by the MeyerPark 14 theaters Post Oak @ 610. Most meals are like $8.95 I think.