Meyer Speedway At 14015 South Main St.

harvick2win

If you would get in contact with Sharon Lauder at the Houston Tribune I know she would love to run some of your photos in her article about Playland (713) 862-9603. I have sent her a bunch of my stuff and I know she'd love more.

Roy I got your DVD, looks like the Same VHS to me with a few minor exceptions, and actually the sound is in better Sync than mine. When they ripped it to DVD they got a better result. I will send you mine just for laughs, Mack put together miles of footage, some of which is proably the only existing video of Playland I am sure. Not many poeple as dedicated as he was back then. A lot of those neighborhood shots were from the house on Hewitt street off of TC Jester. The McKenzie's were quite a crew. I tell you another old north sider that is still around and still racing. Kent Lewis Sr. is well up in his 70's and still racing sprint cars in the ASCS Gulf-South Region. He ran at Playland, Meyers, and Almeda a lot.

Thanks Mark. Do you know what happened to the original 8mm film? Today that film should be able to be converted directly to digital format and then to DVD. The quality would probably be improved - not so sure for 8mm but it's possible.

Also I bet there are other interesting scenes in the original footage not on the DVD. Sounds like a cool side project. ;)

Haven't seen the PBS series - I *think* parts of it were for sale in the past on VHS only. I believe the GND video comes from footage shot by Mack ?? (dont remember his last name) over the years.

You could email Judy Dudek at gill.judy@sbcglobal.net and find out if they have any of the DVDs left.

We would love to see the Playland pic posted here. ;)

Thanks! I just sent an email off to Judy. I'll transfer some photos over from one of my off-line PC and post a few. I'll also get some over to Sharon at the Houston Tribune with some info. I talked with her today. She said the Tribune is a positive spirited publication so I guess I'll keep the crash pictures to myself. As Playland spectators recall, when you mix open-wheel stockers on a 1/4 mile track, many would end up inverted and often over or through the fence!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone interested in a DVD of Playland Park Speedway and Meyerland Speedway, IM or email me with your contact info. It's a bunch of home movie footage shot in the 50's in 8mm. There was no sound, so we overdubbed some oldies music and Charles did some comentary. I think it came out real good, I am going to burn some DVD's , you'll see it isn't professional, but it is pretty cool. If any of you get the Houston/Heights Tribune, I am helping Sharon Lauder put together some articles to run on Playland and Meyerland Speedways. It should come out this spring, when I get some exact dates on the print I will let you know. I am mainly providing photos and names and dates and she is writing the articles, like I said when I get some exact dates of the print I will let you know.

P.S. There is also newer footage from the 60's and 70's, there is some of old Almeda Speedway, some from Moody andClarey, and some breif shots from old Houston Dragway off of Gulf Freeway.

• 1 month later...
Here are photos taken at the old Meyer speedway grounds earlier this year

post-30-1117499276.jpg

post-30-1117499437.jpg

post-30-1117499674.jpg

I'm glad someone remembers the speedway. What memories. I was pretty young, but can still remember going out there. My brother who is 10 years older had the most fun. I believe we also have 8mm film of some of the races, but they still need to be converted. I also somewhere around here, have audio tape of interviews with the race car drivers that my brother did. Not positive if they still work, guess it would be worth finding out.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone remember Meyer's Speedway? I told my husband I took drivers ed (Westbury 1969) on a racetrack and he doesn't believe me! It was great! Seems like it was down S. Main past Post Oak by the stadium we used to have our football games at.

I remember commercials for Meyer Speedway, and for Houston International Speedway, which was down in the LaMarque area I seem to recall.

"SUNDAYSUNDAYSUNDAY at Houston International Speedway...."

you can see the track in the upper right

post-6184-1228239987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Native Son

I remember going as a kid..gocarts were always the first stop. Seemed like we drove forever to get there. It was the first time I saw Coke cans emptied and Jack Daniels filled and taken in,( something I used in my later yrs)...seems like everyone had to carry a can.

Edited by GREASER

Anyone remember Meyer's Speedway? I told my husband I took drivers ed (Westbury 1969) on a racetrack and he doesn't believe me! It was great! Seems like it was down S. Main past Post Oak by the stadium we used to have our football games at.

Hi Carol!

Somewhere within the Historic section is a BIG thread on Meyer Speedway complete with photos of old racing programs, some of the races themselves and discussions about some of the drivers. I'm not sure exactly how to find it other than checking older pages for it, or maybe trying a search. The search - I think - is a bit 'iffy' as I've searched for topics that I KNOW are on here and that I've read previously but for some reason they don't come up on my search. So I end up scanning page by page until I find what I'm looking for. But again, there is an existing thread on Meyer Speedway that I think you'd really enjoy. It has a lot of information. :)

There's a couple of videos (old film) from Meyer Speedway on YouTube. Just use Meyer Speedway as key search words. (Plenty from Playland Speedway also)

You'll also find alot of posts and photos on the Texas Speedzone (TXSZ.com) forums under Texas Racing History.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I remember Meyer Speedway, all right - my uncle Bill Blumrick #7 was one of the champions out there. I've posted a video of the 1967 Labor Day 100 lap Modified Stockcar feature on YouTube, and here's the link.

Bill led almost the whole race. Joe Plowman #28 had been on his back bumper the whole race and finally passeed Bill on the 95th lap. One lap later, Joe's engine went kablooey! Bill retook the lead for 3 more laps, and HIS engine crapped out. Charlie Schild #1 took the checkered flag.

Bill was sponsored by Frizzell Pontiac, off the Gulf Freeway at Gulfgate. "Whale Of A Deal!" Therefore the "Whale Tail" on #7.

Bob Blumrick

Edited by blumrick

Yeah, I remember Meyer Speedway, all right - my uncle Bill Blumrick #7 was one of the champions out there. I've posted a video of the 1967 Labor Day 100 lap Modified Stockcar feature on YouTube, and here's the link.

Bill led almost the whole race. Joe Plowman #28 had been on his back bumper the whole race and finally passeed Bill on the 95th lap. One lap later, Joe's engine went kablooey! Bill retook the lead for 3 more laps, and HIS engine crapped out. Charlie Schild #1 took the checkered flag.

Bill was sponsored by Frizzell Pontiac, off the Gulf Freeway at Gulfgate. "Whale Of A Deal!" Therefore the "Whale Tail" on #7.

Bob Blumrick

Wow - incredible video! Thanks for posting!

• 2 months later...

Here's a bit of personal Meyer Speedway trivia.

When I took Drivers Ed at Westbury HS in 1970, we would attend the classroom phase at the school, of course. But for part of the Behind The Wheel phase, we would load up in a van and drive to Meyer Speedway, aka "The Range". The Drivers Ed cars were located there and we would proceed to practice basic driving skills to be followed by real street driving.

The temptation was everpresent to kick it on the straightaway, knowing it may be the only chance in your lifetime to be on a racetrack. However, if your speed began to exceed the acceptable limit, one look from the coach would quickly shatter your AJ Foyt fantasy.

• 6 months later...

THERE DEFINITELY WAS A MEYERS SPEEDWAY...........IT WAS A LITTLE BEHIND PLAYLAND PARK, DONT REMEMBER THE CROSS STREETS. USE TO GO ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS LITTLE

THE FOOTBALL STADIUM IS BUTLER..................IT WASNT THAT FAR DOWN SOUTHMAIN...............BETWEEN WHAT IS NOW 610 AND HOLMES RD AREA

Edited by capt. kirk

• 2 months later...

oh nice!!!!!!!!

so pretty much of the contours of the track is still there........ i am from MA and most likely of all the tracks that closed in the last 30 years<5 of them> either a building or a amusement ride<1 track only> has taken its place....... thank you very much for those pics too!!!!!

scott

harvick2win@yahoo.com

i believe the pic you see is a baseball field and football field............that would be butler stadium and sports complex on south main.............meyer speedway went down with playland park in the 60's............lol................you young guys are something

I forgot myself... Seems it was somewhere around that year. They also once

ran a Nascar championship race there I think in the early 70's. If I remember

right, one of the Allisons won that race. I went to Meyer a few times. Of course,

living in Westbury, we could hear the races here at the house every Sat night.

MK

one site listed the winners from 59 thru 71

a.j. foyt, gene force, harold smith, don branson, dale swaim, parnelli jones, gordon woolley, ernie derr, ernie derr, jack bowsher, jack bowsher, iggy katona, bobby allison

• Like 1

http://terraserver.m...ALat=29.6251737

hey there guys,

my name is scott and i was looking for info on meyers speedway..... i was looking for south main and this is what i got for you guys, i hope this helps :)

scott

harvick2win@yahoo.com

the picture that is posted, really clearly, is butler football stadium and baseball complex..........other posters said that meyer wrrapped in 77.......butler stadium was a gleam in someone's eye then. you must be talking about the very dim circle west of the sports complex...possible

• Like 1

The speedway is the now dirt oval on the rectangle of

darker colored dirt west of the stadium. And just east of

W. Airport which is the N/S road in the center of the picture.

Butler Stadium was there a good amount of time before the

speedway closed. I'm not sure when the stadium was built,

"I seem to recall it says when on the entrance sign"

but seems it was like about 1966 or so.. ??

I marched at football games there when I was in the band

at Westbury, and that was the 73-74-75 range.

Edit.. And now that I think about it I ran track and cross

country meets at Butler when I went to Johnston Jr. High.

That was the 71-72+ range.. So Butler has been there a while.

The baseball diamond was not there yet at that time. Or

at least I don't recall it..

Edited by nm5k
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

THERE DEFINITELY WAS A MEYERS SPEEDWAY...........IT WAS A LITTLE BEHIND PLAYLAND PARK, DONT REMEMBER THE CROSS STREETS. USE TO GO ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS LITTLE

THE FOOTBALL STADIUM IS BUTLER..................IT WASNT THAT FAR DOWN SOUTHMAIN...............BETWEEN WHAT IS NOW 610 AND HOLMES RD AREA

Yep my dad raced there in the 60's. 1/2 mile asphalt track. Old stock cars and older modifieds. Stock cars were 1949 through 1955. The 55 Chevy turned out to be the best. The modifieds were chopped 1930's Fords and Chevys

My dads name was Paul Maire. He won the championship one year car White with red 76 lettering. He had Bob Ashby build him a sweet modified from a 1937 Chevy. Bright red #2. Bob Ashby was MJ Burtons car builder and chief mechanic for years. Great guy.

Paul Maire Jr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone out there has any photos of racing at Meyerland Speedway from the early sixties to the early seventies, I'd like to see them. My son's father raced there during those years and my son would like to see pics of the period, as he doesn't really remember his dad racing. Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also spent a lot of time at Meyers Speedway, Freddy Friar, Ronnie Chumley, Joe Plowman, Bobby LaBonte, more than I can remember. Vita Fresh Orange Juice located on Heights Blvd and owned by Gordon Van Lieu sponsored 3 cars, the Clothes Shop also had one or two cars. AJ Foyt always sponsored a winning car there as well. My days go all the way back to Playland Park and even the North Houston Dirt Track way out there on Air Port Authority property now. The subdivisions that built around Meyers were their demise, too many complainers, just like in every aspect of our life, they knew when the bought homes there it was noisy on Saturdays. Some call it progress but if you knew what moved into the neighborhood back then your view would be different. The last time I was even near Meyers was on a Trail Ride coming back towards Town, the opposite street corner to Meyers had a large shopping center there. I remember the heated battles of Richard Petty and Bobby Allison who always would be there on the 4th of July special race.

Joe Plowman was in his mid 50's in 1970 and he was living in Galveston, his car was a 71 Ford Mach 1, Holman and Moody colors of Red and White, strange I can't remember the number, I'm thinking 21, but then I'm old. Do you remember H.B Baily, he was well known local who always ran Daytona with a non sponsored Firebird, he owned a salvage yard next door to Davidson Electrical contractor, and he was a Pontiac fanatic. I did a lot of drag racing with Gregg Davidson who became a Pontiac fan because of being a neighbor to H.B.

• Like 1