Meyer Speedway At 14015 South Main St.

harvick2win

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...ALat=29.6251737

hey there guys,

my name is scott and i was looking for info on meyers speedway..... i was looking for south main and this is what i got for you guys, i hope this helps :)

scott

harvick2win@yahoo.com

oh nice!!!!!!!!

so pretty much of the contours of the track is still there........ i am from MA and most likely of all the tracks that closed in the last 30 years<5 of them> either a building or a amusement ride<1 track only> has taken its place....... thank you very much for those pics too!!!!!

scott

harvick2win@yahoo.com

I have a ton of stuff on Meyer Speedway, spent many many nights there racing. Have a lot of photos, but don't want to tie up a bunch of bandwidth if no one's interested.

ProgramFrontCover1977.jpg

TerryLaBonte.jpg

One of the local Heroes that made the big time. Texas Terry Labonte, who just retired from a long NASCAR career this year. Was privileged enough to be at the retirement ceremony at TMS this November and Terry was as humble and gracious as always. Was able to talk with him for a few minutes, And gave him a copy of this B&W in an 8x10, and got quite a laugh out of him. This picture was taken around 1975 there in the pits at Meyer Speedway.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

that is pretty neat to see terry labonte shown driving there..... was 1977 the last year it was open ?

I forgot myself... Seems it was somewhere around that year. They also once

ran a Nascar championship race there I think in the early 70's. If I remember

right, one of the Allisons won that race. I went to Meyer a few times. Of course,

living in Westbury, we could hear the races here at the house every Sat night.

MK

I forgot myself... Seems it was somewhere around that year. They also once

ran a Nascar championship race there I think in the early 70's. If I remember

right, one of the Allisons won that race. I went to Meyer a few times. Of course,

living in Westbury, we could hear the races here at the house every Sat night.

MK

Yes it was the 1971 Space City 300, Mr H basically paid off Bill France to run that race there out of his own pocket, he was pulling out all stops to promote the track. Meyerland was his baby, and he'd have sold his soul to help the track, rumor was he did make a deal with the devil on a couple of occasions. Seem to me the last races held there were in 1978 I may be wrong on that.

MeyerSpeedway36.jpg

This ole boy here is Kent Lewis Sr. Believe it or not he is still racing ASCS Sprint cars in the Gulf South Region. He's pushing seventy. Real Good people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a ton of stuff on Meyer Speedway, spent many many nights there racing. Have a lot of photos, but don't want to tie up a bunch of bandwidth if no one's interested.

Yes, please post some pics. Fantastic stuff so far!! Thanks!

• Like 1

When I was much younger we use to live in the neighborhood on the other side of main street. We use to sit on our roof and watch the races and listen to the roar of the crowds and cars on a warm summer night. Thanks for the memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Was Meyer Speedway the speedway out on South main right next to old "Playland Park" (that had the big roller-coaster), where they used to race midget-cars? If so we used to hear the cars on Saturday night all the way over in Bellaire. Also used to see Doc Cossey and AJ Foyt (in his early carreer) racing there.

Dave

Was Meyer Speedway the speedway out on South main right next to old "Playland Park" (that had the big roller-coaster), where they used to race midget-cars? If so we used to hear the cars on Saturday night all the way over in Bellaire. Also used to see Doc Cossey and AJ Foyt (in his early carreer) racing there.

Dave

No actually that was Playland Park Speedway. In one of the pictues here you can see the roller coaster in the background. Meyers Speedway was further down, and took over the crowds as playland closed down.

nieto36.jpg

MEYERSPEEDWAY62PROGRAM5.jpg

MeyerSpeedwayTrophyAwardModB.jpg

MJBurton5-2.jpg

Track Record holder MJ Burton of the Burton Brother's Crew

55AJmidgcrsh.jpg

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

• 3 weeks later...

:unsure:

ProgramFrontCover1977.jpg

TerryLaBonte.jpg

One of the local Heroes that made the big time. Texas Terry Labonte, who just retired from a long NASCAR career this year. Was privileged enough to be at the retirement ceremony at TMS this November and Terry was as humble and gracious as always. Was able to talk with him for a few minutes, And gave him a copy of this B&W in an 8x10, and got quite a laugh out of him. This picture was taken around 1975 there in the pits at Meyer Speedway.

I would be interested in viewing old Meyer Speedway photos.I raced there from 1974 to 1977.My name is Dale Powell and I drove #91.In 74 and 75 the car was a 1964 Chevelle.Then in 76 and 77 it was a 1976 Camaro.I have a lot of good memories but unfortunately not enough photos.Was able to compete with greats like Terry and Freddy Fryar.

• 1 month later...

WELL I GREW UP AT MEYERS SPEEDWAY. MY UNCLE HAD A BRONCO, PURPLE # 27 FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS. WON CHAMPIONSHIPS A COUPLE OF TIMES. IN THE MID 60'S. LATER I TRIED THE SUPER MODIFIEDS, WITH NO LUCK. I TRIED THE LATE MODELS W/NO LUCK. HERE IS A COUPLE OF MY PICTURES FROM THEN. ALSO A COUPLE FROM THE 60'S WITH THE OLD 27 IN BACKGROUND. MY SUPER WAS THE OLD FRIZZEL PONTIAC MODIFIED WITH THE ROOF CUT OFF AND A WING ADDED. I DID IT FOR FUN. SHOULD STAYED DRAG RACING.

post-3574-1171639257.jpg

post-3574-1171639330.jpg

Edited by DENNIS97CARS

Man, Bill Bailey sure is young in that program. And I believe Ed Hamblin was also the ring announcer at Houston Wrestling-he was always hawking Meyer Speedway. I had to consult my "Friday Night in the Coliseum' by Geoff Winningham to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in a DVD of Playland Park Speedway and Meyerland Speedway, IM or email me with your contact info. It's a bunch of home movie footage shot in the 50's in 8mm. There was no sound, so we overdubbed some oldies music and Charles did some comentary. I think it came out real good, I am going to burn some DVD's , you'll see it isn't professional, but it is pretty cool. If any of you get the Houston/Heights Tribune, I am helping Sharon Lauder put together some articles to run on Playland and Meyerland Speedways. It should come out this spring, when I get some exact dates on the print I will let you know. I am mainly providing photos and names and dates and she is writing the articles, like I said when I get some exact dates of the print I will let you know.

P.S. There is also newer footage from the 60's and 70's, there is some of old Almeda Speedway, some from Moody andClarey, and some breif shots from old Houston Dragway off of Gulf Freeway.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes
  • Like 1

Anyone interested in a DVD of Playland Park Speedway and Meyerland Speedway, IM or email me with your contact info. It's a bunch of home movie footage shot in the 50's in 8mm. There was no sound, so we overdubbed some oldies music and Charles did some comentary. I think it came out real good, I am going to burn some DVD's , you'll see it isn't professional, but it is pretty cool. If any of you get the Houston/Heights Tribune, I am helping Sharon Lauder put together some articles to run on Playland and Meyerland Speedways. It should come out this spring, when I get some exact dates on the print I will let you know. I am mainly providing photos and names and dates and she is writing the articles, like I said when I get some exact dates of the print I will let you know.

P.S. There is also newer footage from the 60's and 70's, there is some of old Almeda Speedway, some from Moody andClarey, and some breif shots from old Houston Dragway off of Gulf Freeway.

Hey Mark - is this the same DVD as the GRD Videos Playland Park & Meyers Speedway DVD? Don't remember Almeda Speedway or the Houston Dragway being on that one.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING ON HOUSTON SPEDWAYS, ESPECIALLY MEYERS . THANKS . LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE DATES ON THE ARTICLE AND I WOULD LIKE A DVD. THANKS DENNIS97CARS

Hey Mark - is this the same DVD as the GRD Videos Playland Park & Meyers Speedway DVD? Don't remember Almeda Speedway or the Houston Dragway being on that one.

Thanks!

No this is nothing professionally done. These are a bunch of home movies. most are by Mack McKenzie, (my ex-wife's grandfather RIP), and some are by Bill Henson (my uncle RIP) and some are by John Dewitt and his father). Mack had a car lot on the north-side and was a huge local race fan, he sponsored his son's cars as well as put up purse money at Playland, Meyers, and Almeda speedways. Rumor was he was a silent partner with Big George "Mr. H" Hamblen, at Meyers Speedway. No telling really, that was just a rumor. Anyway Mack was a nut when it came to racing and filming them. He had an old Remington 8mm camera, the one that had the three different lenses that rotated on the front of it for different focal lengths. Anyway, Mack would just about do anything for a good racing shot, he even rode inside the stock cars for the "in car camera" shot. He had a big scar over one eye, where he was in a crash and the eye-piece was rammed into his brow. Anyway most of the good stuff (color) was shot by Mack. Anyway There was no sound so "Shorty" Lauder lent his commentary skills, and he did a pretty good job, remembering who was who, and threw in some classic rock in the background and pieced together a pretty decent little movie. Only problem all these old 8mm's were converted to VHS several years ago. And when he overdubbed his commentary and music it was good, but when I ripped it in Studio 9.0 the sound is out of sync some. I may try and take it to a pro and see what they can do. But for now it is what it is. I am going to burn some DVDs this weekend and see how they come out. There is a little slide show on the end, with various still shots, it's pretty cool.

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING ON HOUSTON SPEDWAYS, ESPECIALLY MEYERS . THANKS . LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE DATES ON THE ARTICLE AND I WOULD LIKE A DVD. THANKS DENNIS97CARS

When I get the DVDs burned I will mail them out to whoever wants them. Sharon is going to let me know when the articles will be going out. This has been a long going project that is finally coming to life.

No this is nothing professionally done. These are a bunch of home movies. most are by Mack McKenzie, (my ex-wife's grandfather RIP), and some are by Bill Henson (my uncle RIP) and some are by John Dewitt and his father). Mack had a car lot on the north-side and was a huge local race fan, he sponsored his son's cars as well as put up purse money at Playland, Meyers, and Almeda speedways. Rumor was he was a silent partner with Big George "Mr. H" Hamblen, at Meyers Speedway. No telling really, that was just a rumor. Anyway Mack was a nut when it came to racing and filming them. He had an old Remington 8mm camera, the one that had the three different lenses that rotated on the front of it for different focal lengths. Anyway, Mack would just about do anything for a good racing shot, he even rode inside the stock cars for the "in car camera" shot. He had a big scar over one eye, where he was in a crash and the eye-piece was rammed into his brow. Anyway most of the good stuff (color) was shot by Mack. Anyway There was no sound so "Shorty" Lauder lent his commentary skills, and he did a pretty good job, remembering who was who, and threw in some classic rock in the background and pieced together a pretty decent little movie. Only problem all these old 8mm's were converted to VHS several years ago. And when he overdubbed his commentary and music it was good, but when I ripped it in Studio 9.0 the sound is out of sync some. I may try and take it to a pro and see what they can do. But for now it is what it is. I am going to burn some DVDs this weekend and see how they come out. There is a little slide show on the end, with various still shots, it's pretty cool.

When I get the DVDs burned I will mail them out to whoever wants them. Sharon is going to let me know when the articles will be going out. This has been a long going project that is finally coming to life.

What do you know about the GND Video? Is that the footage that was used on the PBS production Houston Remember: When Vol.3? I would like to get that footage, but have not gotten a reponse from PBS.

I grew up at Playland track since I was 2 years old so I am anxious to obtain any film or pictures from there. I do hold an extensive collection of stills from Playland, but most are of Archie Lacy's cars and his driver, Billy Wade.

I am very interested in your DVD and any information on the GND video. I would appreciate being included on your shipping list. Keep me posted! Thx

What do you know about the GND Video? Is that the footage that was used on the PBS production Houston Remember: When Vol.3? I would like to get that footage, but have not gotten a reponse from PBS.

I grew up at Playland track since I was 2 years old so I am anxious to obtain any film or pictures from there. I do hold an extensive collection of stills from Playland, but most are of Archie Lacy's cars and his driver, Billy Wade.

I am very interested in your DVD and any information on the GND video. I would appreciate being included on your shipping list. Keep me posted! Thx

Haven't seen the PBS series - I *think* parts of it were for sale in the past on VHS only. I believe the GND video comes from footage shot by Mack ?? (dont remember his last name) over the years.

You could email Judy Dudek at gill.judy@sbcglobal.net and find out if they have any of the DVDs left.

We would love to see the Playland pic posted here. ;)

If you would get in contact with Sharon Lauder at the Houston Tribune I know she would love to run some of your photos in her article about Playland (713) 862-9603. I have sent her a bunch of my stuff and I know she'd love more.

Haven't seen the PBS series - I *think* parts of it were for sale in the past on VHS only. I believe the GND video comes from footage shot by Mack ?? (dont remember his last name) over the years.

You could email Judy Dudek at gill.judy@sbcglobal.net and find out if they have any of the DVDs left.

We would love to see the Playland pic posted here. ;)

Roy I got your DVD, looks like the Same VHS to me with a few minor exceptions, and actually the sound is in better Sync than mine. When they ripped it to DVD they got a better result. I will send you mine just for laughs, Mack put together miles of footage, some of which is proably the only existing video of Playland I am sure. Not many poeple as dedicated as he was back then. A lot of those neighborhood shots were from the house on Hewitt street off of TC Jester. The McKenzie's were quite a crew. I tell you another old north sider that is still around and still racing. Kent Lewis Sr. is well up in his 70's and still racing sprint cars in the ASCS Gulf-South Region. He ran at Playland, Meyers, and Almeda a lot.