Sign in to follow this  
The Great Hizzy!

Pearland Town Center

Doesn't really look much different from Market Street IMO. It looks like Market Street has a bigger greenspace, but other than that, the same. Plus, this has residential while Market Street does not.

Too bad they didn't bring the main part of the development closer to the pond. That would have brought a little more to it.

Edited by lockmat

I don't think it looks much different than the other side of 288, shopping center hell. I think it was sarahiki who asked, since when is a mall a town centre? Well, this isn't even a real mall. I can't even walk everywhere in air conditioning. It is too hot to live here, I am hibernating until December, if my company is cool with paying me for that.

I had been assuming that the parking along the street in front of stores would give the air of the small-town mainstreet with diagonal parking, accentuating the "town center" idea. But what do I know?

Basically, I'm making no judgments all at, especially not prejudgments. Except for this: I'm glad that there will be some better stores and amenities close by, department stores, a big bookstore, and so on. Up until now I've had to make close to an hour round trip at $4/gallon gas if I wanted that sort of thing -- so I didn't. Now I have more choices, and that has to be a Good Thing.

From the city of Pearland Website:

SH 288 Possible Traffic Slowdown July 30 - Aug. 3

A large west-side retail development is set for a grand opening of some major stores Wednesday, July 30 - Sunday, Aug. 3, which may cause temporary traffic slowdowns in the Shadowcreek/SH 288 area. Pearland police officers will be monitoring traffic flow in the area, and any alternate routes will be clearly marked with appropriate signage. For details, please visit http://pearlandtowncenter.com/shop/pearland.nsf/index

Traffic Map

Really? Their Map clearly points to the lack of Frontage roads in 288 and connectors for BW8 & 288. It will probably be a traffic nightmare at 288 & 518.

I'm glad I am very close, so I'll be walking to enjoy the opening week.

Edited by Chamo

It officially opens tomorrow. . . Treat yourself! :rolleyes:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH! Pearland, so urban you have become!!! :lol:

I love how the commercial does nothing to showcase the town center strip mall.

Seriously a parking garage or two would have helped minimize that huge suface lot surrounding everything. This is the stupidiest use of town center yet!

*Warning* Watch out for incredibly loud and pretentious music when you enter the Pearland Town Center website.

It officially opens tomorrow. . . Treat yourself! :rolleyes:

The commercial is for CBL and not specifically for the Pearland Town Center. So no Strip mall to be showcased here..... but I agree, don't waste your time coming to our side of town.

We'll try to enjoy the new developments in our area as much as we can, even with all the traffic/security/other pains and headaches they will bring.

If a Parking garage is needed later on, it can be easily added in that huge surface lot. Fortunately, we don't have the space constraints that some other areas have. You should see the waste of space my backyard is.

Too bad they didn't bring the main part of the development closer to the pond. That would have brought a little more to it.

They totally wasted an opportunity to create an inventive and useful greenspace. Having the pond in the back, detached from PTC was a huge mistake. It serves more as a retention ditch rather than something aesthetic, like a public park.

Check out some interesting rules in PTC Code of Conduct. It really is just a glorified strip mall with boarding school rules. I feel bad for anyone that decides to live there under such silly rules.

3. Annoying others through noisy or boisterous activities, unnecessary staring or following someone through the mall and parking lot.

Translation: no looking at the hot chicks.

7. Running, wrestling, horseplay, skating, skate boarding, rollerblading and/or riding a scooter; or otherwise being disruptive or creating a disturbance, obstructing or interfering with the free flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic or with patron

Edited by Pumapayam

They totally wasted an opportunity to create an inventive and useful greenspace. Having the pond in the back, detached from PTC was a huge mistake. It serves more as a retention ditch rather than something aesthetic, like a public park.

Check out some interesting rules in PTC Code of Conduct. It really is just a glorified strip mall with boarding school rules. I feel bad for anyone that decides to live there under such silly rules.

3. Annoying others through noisy or boisterous activities, unnecessary staring or following someone through the mall and parking lot.

7. Running, wrestling, horseplay, skating, skate boarding, rollerblading and/or riding a scooter; or otherwise being disruptive or creating a disturbance, obstructing or interfering with the free flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic or with patron's view of doorways,windows, and/or other merchant or mall displays. Bicycles and Segways must be used in accordance with bicycle and vehicle safety rules.

Translation: even though you live in the residential portion of the shopping center don't expected to fully embrace pedestrian activites since you really are in a shopping center and not a real "live, work, play" town center.

8. Assembling, demonstrating, parading, picketing, marching, walking abreast in groups and/or loitering for the purpose of disturbing the peace or any unlawful purpose, disrupting the shopping enjoyment of customers, or disrupting the intended business use of the mall.

Translation: don't recreate the infamous scene of Carrie and the girls on the sidewalk from Sex and the City.

13. Failing to wear shoes and a shirt.

Translation: no matter how good you look, not "neighborhood" running without a shirt.

Ha. This is just asking for memebag to go down there and do something to get thrown in mall --er, town centre jail.

No horseplay!

What's up with the directions?

Why can't you take 288 to 518 to the PTC, it seems like the most direct route, yet the map directions deliberately avoids that intersection in all cases.

2ch9vk0.jpg

Is there something more political behind this?

What's up with the directions?

Why can't you take 288 to 518 to the PTC, it seems like the most direct route, yet the map directions deliberately avoids that intersection in all cases.

Is there something more political behind this?

Unfortunately, the feeders of 288 between 2234 & 518 won't be completed until 2009. The corner of 288 & 518 is going to become a mess starting tomorrow. They are just trying to give people some alternatives to the headache that corner will be.

Me, I'll be walking to the strip center as you call it; And for sure I'll get in trouble for my unnecessary staring :)

Edited by Chamo

Great, that ends going down to the 288/518 exit for lunch. I'll stick to Almeda Diner and the Church's chicken that's stuck in the gas station. And the taco truck at Almeda and Bluebonnet.

Ha. This is just asking for memebag to go down there and do something to get thrown in mall --er, town centre jail.

No horseplay!

I don't see anything in those rules about horses. I think they just don't want me putting on my one man production of Equus.

I actually passed by the "town center" this afternoon, and I was pleasantly surprised. Although they haven't opened up the main street in the town center, I could see clearly into the shopping area. It looks really nice and looks appealing for an evening stroll. Reminds me of the nicer outdoor shopping areas in Denver. I can imagine how packed its going to be tomorrow.

you know, I loved the story about this on KTRK. I particularly enjoyed how the new GM for Macy's says the following:

"As people are moving out of Houston into the suburbs, that's where the customers are living," Macy's General Manager Melissa Steiner. "We are trying now to go where people are. It's really a great idea. It's almost in your backyard."

It sounds like something some pearland schmuck would say.(no offense to those currently living in that nice little suburb.....we're coming after you in 10 years)

you know, I loved the story about this on KTRK. I particularly enjoyed how the new GM for Macy's says the following:

"As people are moving out of Houston into the suburbs, that's where the customers are living," Macy's General Manager Melissa Steiner. "We are trying now to go where people are. It's really a great idea. It's almost in your backyard."

It sounds like something some pearland schmuck would say.(no offense to those currently living in that nice little suburb.....we're coming after you in 10 years)

Can I nominate this as the BEST post of the day!

Wow ricco! Loved it! :lol:

I love how the commercial does nothing to showcase the town center strip mall.

Seriously a parking garage or two would have helped minimize that huge suface lot surrounding everything. This is the stupidiest use of town center yet!

*Warning* Watch out for incredibly loud and pretentious music when you enter the Pearland Town Center website.

Yeah I'd love to have something like Sugar Land's town center/City Walk in design. While it may not be an excellent design, people hardly care. My greatest gripe is that there is too much parking along "Market street".

Does their land extend as far as that pond?

Does their land extend as far as that pond?

Yeah, but it is set up worst than the Stafford Fountains. The main areas is separated parking lot, with only a few satellite pad sites, not real incentive to use the pond for anything logical.

Annoying others through noisy or boisterous activities, unnecessary staring or following someone through the mall and parking lot.

That's not entirely true. Sometimes it IS necessary to stare. They are only outlawing UNnecessary staring, for instance, staring at mediocre chicks is unnecessary. Staring at hot chicks, however, is very necessary.

That's not entirely true. Sometimes it IS necessary to stare. They are only outlawing UNnecessary staring, for instance, staring at mediocre chicks is unnecessary. Staring at hot chicks, however, is very necessary.

Finally someone who gets it!

I did a loop around around PTC the other day and yeah, it looks nice. Not as many high-quality stores as I would like but that's the way it is. I'm just happy to have a bookstore finally. Sometimes it's just necessary to browse instead of dealing with the cold Amazon.com.

Oh you stare, JUST YOU STARE, lol. Then ol' Otis will speed over to you on two wheels in his golf cart.

otis.jpg

"Git out-ta da center here ol' boyo, starin' at the pretty missy poos like you fresh out-ta da jail house! WOAH, that missy poo full of fruit, melons AND an apple bottom! I mean, git out, you bout to git me fired! Got me thinkin' bout my old creepin' days!"

Read this new Inside Pearland blog entry about the grand opening. Here's an interesting snippet from it:

"This week, Pearland police will be stationed on either side of FM 518 at Texas 288 to manually control the traffic lights, as well as on Business Center Drive, Town Center Boulevard, Kirby and McHard Drive. If needed, the officers will physically direct traffic"

Some of the blog comments were interesting too.

Edited by Timnwendy

Read this new Inside Pearland blog entry about the grand opening. Here's an interesting snippet from it:

"This week, Pearland police will be stationed on either side of FM 518 at Texas 288 to manually control the traffic lights, as well as on Business Center Drive, Town Center Boulevard, Kirby and McHard Drive. If needed, the officers will physically direct traffic"

Some of the blog comments were interesting too.

That would explain why the TxDOT signs on 288 near Southmore and near Holly Hall said something earlier this week to the effect of "Delays at FM518 exit, use FM2234 instead".

Edited by JLWM8609

I was at the PTC on Wednesday night and found the traffic to not be a problem at all! Everything ran very smoothly especially if you were an SCR resident. Getting across 288 to go back to silverlake looked to be more of a problem due to the short light going east on broadway.

I guess there was a fair amount of traffic for the people who decided to do a driving tour by going straight through the center. But that would be silly, right? I parked on the side of BJs and walked to all the stores in 3 minutes. My wife and I put in a reservation at BJs, they said it would be an hour, so we went for a walk around the complex and enjoyed the look of things. Went to B&N, bought a book, walked back to BJs 40 minutes later and they seated us immediately. It all worked very well.

I think it's funny how the biggest traffic problem with the new mall is actually the short light to get over to the silverlake side, which has always been a problem. I just left the mall via Kirby and it was easy.

I was at the PTC on Wednesday night and found the traffic to not be a problem at all! Everything ran very smoothly especially if you were an SCR resident. Getting across 288 to go back to silverlake looked to be more of a problem due to the short light going east on broadway.

I guess there was a fair amount of traffic for the people who decided to do a driving tour by going straight through the center. But that would be silly, right? I parked on the side of BJs and walked to all the stores in 3 minutes. My wife and I put in a reservation at BJs, they said it would be an hour, so we went for a walk around the complex and enjoyed the look of things. Went to B&N, bought a book, walked back to BJs 40 minutes later and they seated us immediately. It all worked very well.

I think it's funny how the biggest traffic problem with the new mall is actually the short light to get over to the silverlake side, which has always been a problem. I just left the mall via Kirby and it was easy.

Next time you go to BJs, get a pazooki, they're yummy.

Heading that way... Will give it a try.

Heading that way... Will give it a try.

let us know what you think when you get back.

So I did a "driving tour" of the PTC yesterday evening... Wow, I must say, they did a fantastic job!

I was expecting some run of the mill strip with a few trees and whatnot, but instead found a well organized, nicely decorated, classy, shopping locale. In a world of endless chain retailers, this is as good as it gets. It'll definitely put Pearland on the map!

With regard to traffic, it seems getting out the PTC, across 288, is the only real problem. They need to add an extra lane that way...

let us know what you think when you get back.

Place was packed..... I was impressed with the service, which usually for new places around Pearland, sucks for a while and in some other places it just sucks. Hope they keep up the good work. Thanks for the recommendation Lockmat; great dessert.

Really enjoyed Pearland Town Center; great addition to the neighborhood. Traffic did not look as bad as I expected, but as promised I walked there. A little humidity but the walk made me feel much better after the Pizza, Beer & the Macadamia Pazooki!

Place was packed..... I was impressed with the service, which usually for new places around Pearland, sucks for a while and in some other places it just sucks. Hope they keep up the good work. Thanks for the recommendation Lockmat; great dessert.

Really enjoyed Pearland Town Center; great addition to the neighborhood. Traffic did not look as bad as I expected, but as promised I walked there. A little humidity but the walk made me feel much better after the Pizza, Beer & the Macadamia Pazooki!

So was the Marq*E when it first opened. I don't think this will have long legs.

So was the Marq*E when it first opened. I don't think this will have long legs.

I wouldn't compare both, but I'll give you an update in 5 years since I guess you have no interest in coming to this area.

Just got back from spending an afternoon and evening there. It was fairly crowded but parking was not a problem anywhere. We did drive on the cross streets and it was slow but OK. A lot of people just walk randomly through traffic as though they were in an indoor mall and didn't have to worry about cars. Although there were a lot of people it was always easy to move around.

We went in several stores and, in general, they are smaller and noticeably less fully stocked than their larger counterparts in Houston. We didn't go in every store but this is certainly true of the two big marquee anchors, Macy's and Barnes & Noble.

There was a lot of private security and Pearland PD around, in cars, one giant diesel Ford F-250 Super Duty (wonder what kinda mileage they were getting idling around in circles in that bad boy), on bikes, and a few three-wheel Segways. If you thought Segways couldn't get any dorkier-looking, you should see the three-wheel kind.

Getting in and out was absolutely effortless with the south exit to Kirby. Take that to CR 59 (right by the infamous ten-car-garage vacant gigantic houses), turn left, and there you go, you're at 288. Smile and wave as you zoom over the 288/518 intersection.

The place looks like the usual postmodern mishmash of colors and styles, maybe a little more modern than some. Not hard on the eyes, particularly, but just kinda there. I wondered aloud "Who would want to live in an apartment HERE at the mall?" (I know it's not a mall, but still) My thirteen-year-old daughter said immediately, "Girls." The giant coffee can signage at the north entry is kinda fugly, and seems to be implying a countrified hominess that is totally absent from anything else in the place.

One nice touch -- there were several live musicians performing, just on the sidewalk. Usually just a coupla guys with a keyboard or a guitar and maybe some sampled background tracks. Nothing too elaborate, but fun to hear. Unfortunately, there was also ubiquitous oldies-radio style background music from pole-mounted speakers, so there was plenty of racket. We can't be expected to walk around in public without ambient background music, can we?

The biggest disappointment, and this might be a deal-breaker for some, is the availability of food. Red Lobster is not even close to open, and many of the other advertised food places are either still not open or "training." Fish City and Red Robin both looked good to us, but they were training. BJs looked great, but with them being the only real dinner place open, the wait for a table was way too long. We ended up leaving and eating in Silverlake. We came back to nose around a little more, and went to Cinnabon, which was totally unprepared for the crowds and and had very long waits (and a reduced menu -- no Minibons!)

Anyway, it was kinda fun and aside from the food it seemed to be dealing with the crowds with no problem.

Wendy and I went last night. marmer's description is very accurate; the lack of available dining seems to be the biggest drawback right now. I guess that will be fixed in a few weeks when the other restaurants open. We were also surprised that traffic wasn't heavier.

We did think B&N was nicely stocked, though, and I found a book I'd been searching to find a long time.

At 10pm they had a laser light/music show at the Sparks Energy pavilion (stage). It was better than I expected.

All things considered, I can see us spending considerable $$ here in the years ahead.

We tried the Fish City Grill yesterday. It was good and we will probably go back. Any of the decent fish dinners were comparable to Red Lobster in price, but the sandwiches, soups, and salads were less expensive. Quite honestly, if you are in the mood for a nice fish dinner then you will probably get more bang for your buck over at the new Red Lobster when it opens, since at RL the entree prices include side salads and cheese biscuits (all you can eat of these).

Looking forward to trying Red Robin and Mimi's soon.

Wendy and I went last night. marmer's description is very accurate; the lack of available dining seems to be the biggest drawback right now. I guess that will be fixed in a few weeks when the other restaurants open. We were also surprised that traffic wasn't heavier.

We did think B&N was nicely stocked, though, and I found a book I'd been searching to find a long time.

At 10pm they had a laser light/music show at the Sparks Energy pavilion (stage). It was better than I expected.

All things considered, I can see us spending considerable $$ here in the years ahead.

I think Fish City Grill taste a lot better than Red Lobster. Fish City has more of the "Southern Taste".

I think Fish City Grill taste a lot better than Red Lobster. Fish City has more of the "Southern Taste".

I was told that Red Robin opens today. Also, Fish City Grill is definitely a couple of steps above Red Lobster. I will not eat at Red Lobster, I do however like Fish City Grill.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Red Robin. It is my regular stop before or after movies when I go to the MarqE center.

Royal Red Robin Burger.Yum.:)

We tried out Red Robin last night. The mushroom burger was great. The fries are so-so, but the basket is "bottomless" - as in, free refills. Needless to say, it would easy to gain ten pounds pretty quickly just by eating there once in awhile! All in all, a good experience.

So far, in my opinion: Red Robins > BJ's > Fish City Grill, in terms of food.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Red Robin. It is my regular stop before or after movies when I go to the MarqE center.

Royal Red Robin Burger.Yum. :)

We tried out Red Robin last night. The mushroom burger was great. The fries are so-so, but the basket is "bottomless" - as in, free refills. Needless to say, it would easy to gain ten pounds pretty quickly just by eating there once in awhile! All in all, a good experience.

So far, in my opinion: Red Robins > BJ's > Fish City Grill, in terms of food.

I was there last night too..... Sitting at the bar as usual. They know it will take them a bit to get the service up to speed, but in general they are doing a great job to be the first couple of days. Burger was great, but this morning I'm paying the consequences.

Cork wine is open, stopped to check the selection, and they do have a long way to go. Kitchen is not open yet, and they do not have all the beer & wine selection they have in their menu. Anyways seems like a good "upscale" bar option for some of my more affluent neighbors.

They have a boat show, great idea to use the pavillion commercially like that.

I actually really like Fish City Grill. They do have some pricer selections, but in generally they have a nice menu for under $8 or $9. Red Lobster is hit or miss with me. Some locations are actually quite good, and others are the dumps. Hopefully we'll get a good one here (can't wait for the cheesy biscuits).

you sure have some great taste buds. Went to BJ's on Sunday. Our first time. Wait time is still about 40mins. Have avocado egg roll for appetizer and ordered pazooki for dessert. They're simply great. If you call my home and no one picks up, try BJ's.

Just heard from a inside source that Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill wil be locating in the SE parcel of land at the Pearland Town Center.

Edited by 97saturn

"Just heard from a inside source that Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill wil be locating in the SE parcel of land at the Pearland Town Center."

Now that is AWESOME news! Now why did I build that theater in my home....

Just heard from a inside source that Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill wil be locating in the SE parcel of land at the Pearland Town Center.

Finally a good movie theater. Can't wait for it to open! I wish we had a bowling alley open on the west side (something like Main Event).

That would be a great addition. Hope your insiders are correct!

The development next to Bass Pro (The Promenade Shops) was supossed to have a good movie theather, but who knows what will happen to that project.

I got an email from the Pearland Towncenter website that says it will partially reopen today. I haven't been over there yet to assess the damage from Ike.