Galvez Mall

Thanks to the various HAIF members for their postings with a lot of detail about the Galvez Mall as it was during the 1970s & 1980s. As a tourist, particularly when on a day trip, the mall was a great place to visit after spending time at the beach. Stewart Beach Park had (and probably still has) dressing rooms with showers and a secure place to store street clothes, similar to those found at public swimming pools. After a shower and change back to street clothes, it was always fun to visit the mall, browse the shops, get something to eat, and maybe watch a movie, before returning home. As I recall, it was about 5 miles west on Broadway (I-45) from Stewart Beach Park to the Galvez Mall. Once it was time to return home later in the evening, the parking area behind the mall's theater complex was near or adjacent to I-45, reducing the chance of getting lost or "turned around" in the darkness (this was before the advent of "smart" phones with their detailed directions apps). Regret not bringing a camera with me to document my trips to Galveston (again, before the advent of "smart" phones with their built-in digital cameras).

At Galveston as well as most other beach resorts, many people (myself included) want to go to the beach as soon as they can get their luggage in the motel room and change into swimwear. The motels usually reduced or shut off the room's air conditioning whenever the room was not occupied. I can remember coming in to a warm to hot room and turning on the air conditioning to near its maximum cooling setting before changing into swimwear and heading out to the beach. Upon returning to the room a couple of hours later, the room felt uncomfortably cold after I had been out in the hot sun most of that time. Looking back, it would have been more sensible to go easy on the air conditioning controls until after returning to the room, taking a shower, and changing into street clothes.

Edited by k5jri radio
more complete information added

• 3 weeks later...

Kudos to HAIF members who mention specific movies they watched at the Galvez Mall movie theater complex. Assuming first run showing dates, this narrows the time frame to within a few weeks of any given year.

If and when the Covid-19 pandemic subsides and there is a reliable vaccine (or vaccines) to inhibit its recurrence, it might be fun to check out the Pier 21 movies on the hour and half hour as well as the Galveston 11 theater complex. Have seen consistently good reviews for the former, mixed reviews for the latter.

2021 Addendum: Reviews for the Galveston 11 theater complex are more positive now that new management has taken over and invested in renovations to the theater's plant and equipment, particularly the seating. Many reviewers comment favorably about the improved seating, but comment unfavorably about the prices charged for food, candy, and beverages. This seems to be a common complaint made by theater patrons in many areas of the country. When I worked as an TV advertising salesman in Shreveport LA, the theater managers I called on told me: [1] after the various media distributors are paid their percentage from ticket sales revenue, the amount of money left over after other operating expenses (utilities, maintenance, payroll, taxes, consumable items, etc.) are paid is barely enough for the theater operator to break even; [2] the theater operator's profits come from the sale of food, candy, and beverage items to the theater patrons. What I have been told by these theater managers has not been corroborated by any written financial records.

2022 Addendum: The good news is the Covid-19 pandemic has subsided to some extent. The bad news is record high fuel costs have made travel (and many other things) more expensive.       

Edited by k5jri radio
  • Like 1

These photos of Galvez Mall finally surfaced. These were taken in 1987 during my tenure as General Manager. As mentioned in my earlier post Galvez had gone through a cosmetic renovation and the Grand Opening of the "new" Eiband's. The mall itself at the same time held a Grand Re-Opening and the day was quite an event for Galveston. Due to photo size (MB) limitations I may have to post another series of photos separately

Galvez_Mall_Eiband's_Entrance_1987.jpg

Galvez_Mall_Entrance_1987__2.jpg

Galvez_Mall_Entrance_1987.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting, high quality photographs showing The Rouse Company's late 1980s interior and exterior changes designed to transition the Galvez Mall from a general purpose to a more upscale shopping venue. If my memory is correct, before this late 1980s renovation, there was an Orange Julius located in one of center aisle booths. In 2004, The Rouse Company was sold to General Growth Properties. In 2012, General Growth Properties spun off 30 malls into a new real estate investment trust, Rouse Properties.

Edited by k5jri radio
more complete information
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

As documented with text and photographs in earlier postings by various members, the interior and exterior of Galvez Mall (Galveston TX) was cosmetically renovated circa mid-1980s as part of a plan by the Rouse Company to convert it from a general purpose to a more upscale retail facility. Photographs (May 1976) show its exterior appearance at the approximate midpoint between its original opening (circa 1968) and its subsequent interior and exterior renovations. Photographs (July 1987) show its interior and exterior appearance after renovations. These renovations were (in my opinion) well executed, but ultimately ineffective for the stated goal of attracting tenants. The then general manager of Galvez Mall attributed this to a "terrible nationwide recession" he recalled taking place during 1986 & 1987.

Although there were no nationwide economic recessions during this time period, there was an economic recession (two or more consecutive quarters of declining economic indicators) in the greater Houston area beginning in the early 1980s and bottoming out in 1987. The recession was due to the collapse of petroleum prices and the consequent high unemployment rate. The greater Houston economy did not recover to its pre-recession level until early 1990. 

To summarize: Galvez Mall opened in 1968 as a general purpose retail shopping mall with a mixture of large, medium, & small retail stores, and a triple-screen movie theater. In circa 1986 the mall was sold and cosmetically renovated (interior & exterior) to attract more upscale tenants. In late 1994, Houston-based developer Steve Fincher (dba Baxstep Investments) purchased the mall, renamed it THE ISLAND, and attempted (without success) to market it as an outlet mall for retailers who sold discontinued and overstocked merchandise. Some taxing authorities (but not Galveston County) provided a 5-year tax abatement to this developer. Beall's (the last major tenant) left the mall in March 1996 leaving only two smaller retail tenants, GNC and Ritz Camera. Non-retail tenants included: Galveston Model Railroad Club, which set up a working model train layout and held meetings inside the mall until circa 1995 and The Island Fellowship Church, which operated at the former Beall's location until mid 1997. Photographs (Oct 1996) show the mall's exterior appearance seven months after Beall's departed. The mall became derelict (probably during the latter months of 1997) until its demolition in 2000. The land where the mall once stood is now is now occupied by two large stores, Home Depot and Target (each with its own building), as well as several smaller stores arranged in a strip. Walmart is only 2.2 miles south at 6702 Seawall Blvd. The nearest multi-screen movie theater, Galveston Primetime, is approximately 3.8 miles away (from Home Depot & Target) at 8902 Seawall Blvd. According to a promotional excerpt from Galveston County The Daily News, island area real estate developer, Miguel Prida, recently purchased the theater. (Access to the full article requires an online or print subscription to the newspaper).    

Edited by k5jri radio

You obviously weren't living in Texas in the 80s. The recession the GM of Galvez was referring to was the oil bust of the mid-80s that really hit the Houston-area economy hard. Nobody who lived in Houston in the mid 80s, no matter how young, would forget what it was like. I was just a kid, but lost a lot of friends as their dads lost their jobs and had to move elsewhere for work. The price of oil bottomed out at $12.51/bbl in 1986. That, along with the savings and loan crisis of the mid-late 80s, which was worse in Texas than anywhere else. At least half of the failed S&Ls were based in Texas. Real estate prices plummeted. Our state fell into a deep recession. Downtown Houston was a ghost town at this time, office occupancy rates plummeted. We were just starting to come out of it around the time we hosted the economic summit in 1990.

1986 proved to be a watershed year for Houston, cleaving Old Houston from the Modern Houston we live in today. So many venerable old Houston institutions, especially those that catered to affluent oil-rich Texans, were casualties of the oil bust, that much of Houston’s unique culture and heritage died and was replaced by a more generic Large American City culture.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 3

Although there were no nationwide economic recessions during most of the 1980s (1982 to 1990), the 1980s recession affecting the greater Houston TX area (including Galveston TX) is well documented online.

In the mid-to-late 1980s, I was offered a transfer from the Jacksonville FL location to the Houston TX location of GE ICES (Instrumentation Communication Electronic Services) Calibration Lab. To the best of my recollection, nothing was said during the interview process about economic recession conditions or other problems with the Houston area economy. I decided not to take the transfer offer because it was lateral (no promotion) and did not offer financial assistance for moving expenses. Also in the "nothing was said" category, the interviewing manager did not mention that the person I would have replaced had already accepted a transfer offer which included full payment of his moving expenses from Houston TX  to Atlanta GA. Had my transfer offer included financial assistance for moving expenses from Jacksonville FL to Houston TX, it is likely I would have taken the transfer offer and become a Houston resident and weekend Galveston visitor.

Epilogue: In later years, GE ICES and many other GE manufacturing and technical service components went away as GE (General Electric Company) transitioned from being a leading manufacturing company with financial subsidiaries to a middling financial company with manufacturing subsidiaries.

Edited by k5jri radio
improved clarity

19 hours ago, k5jri radio said:

I did state state the disclaimer "unless this was a local condition peculiar to the area." What you are describing is just that, a local condition peculiar to the area. The then GM of the Galvez Mall would have improved his posting had he described the recession as a local condition in and around the greater Houston area. 

In the former Galvez GM's defense, this is houstonarchitecture.com, it is targeted to a pretty specific local audience, ie mostly Houston residents. Even transplants usually learn about the 80s oil crunch and its effects on the city from neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc. after having lived here a while. So it wasn't unreasonable of him to assume that visitors to this page would know what he was talking about.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 3

Been there, done that lots of times via Houston I-45 to Galveston. Always wanted to take the ferry from Bolivar Peninsula to Galveston Island. Starting from Beaumont TX, it's about 80 miles and 2 hours driving time via the Bolivar Peninsula. The 2.7 mile ferry ride takes 18 minutes + 9 minutes average loading time either direction. When there is a long line of vehicles waiting to board, there may be a longer waiting time, depending on how many ferries are in service.

By contrast, it's about 120 miles and 2 hours driving time from Beaumont to Galveston via I-10 & I-45. The route via I-10 & I-45 is efficient and convenient provided you avoid arriving in Houston during weekday morning or evening rush hour traffic.

Edited by k5jri radio
grammar & syntax improvements

• 4 months later...

Hi there! I'm Sam and I tell the stories/history of iconic malls and what they meant to their local communities on my Youtube Channel. As I have family in the Galveston area and visit there occasionally, I stumbled upon the now mostly mundane Galveston Shopping Center combined with the rich history of The Galvez Mall that was once in its place. 

Would users from this thread be willing to allow me use of these photos and snippets of history/memories in my storytelling for Galvez Mall? This really is the only resource I've been able to find to tell this story, with the true heartfelt feelings behind what the mall meant to the locals (which is what I always aim to encapsulate in the stories I tell).

Any and all info or photos used would be undoubtedly credited, thanked and/or linked back to their respective owners both on and off screen.

I really feel The Galvez Mall story is one that needs telling. 

Thank you for your time! -Sam

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brick_Immortar said:

Hi there! I'm Sam and I tell the stories/history of iconic malls and what they meant to their local communities on my Youtube Channel. As I have family in the Galveston area and visit there occasionally, I stumbled upon the now mostly mundane Galveston Shopping Center combined with the rich history of The Galvez Mall that was once in its place. 

Would users from this thread be willing to allow me use of these photos and snippets of history/memories in my storytelling for Galvez Mall? This really is the only resource I've been able to find to tell this story, with the true heartfelt feelings behind what the mall meant to the locals (which is what I always aim to encapsulate in the stories I tell).

Any and all info or photos used would be undoubtedly credited, thanked and/or linked back to their respective owners both on and off screen.

I really feel The Galvez Mall story is one that needs telling. 

Thank you for your time! -Sam

You are welcome to use my photos and information in the three Galvez Mall posts. wpfulton

• Like 2

Much appreciated wpfulton! The photos and info you've provided are great!  

The video might end up taking a while as I sometimes work at a slow pace but I'll definitely post here once complete.

Also, it would be great to feature Urbanizer's content as well so will keep an eye on the thread to see if they respond too.

-Sam

As a long time visitor to Galveston TX, I look forward to the possibility of a YouTube video featuring the Galvez Mall. From my perspective, this mall was an integral part of the overall Galveston experience. Feel free to contact me at any time if you want explanation or elaboration of anything I have posted. Best regards,

Edited by k5jri radio
grammar & syntax
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, k5jri radio said:

As a long time visitor to Galveston TX, I look forward to the possibility of a YouTube video featuring the Galvez Mall. From my perspective, this mall was an integral part of the overall Galveston experience. Feel free to contact me at any time if you want explanation or elaborations of anything I have posted. Best regards,

Great, thanks for that K5!

• The title was changed to Galvez Mall 1980s Renovation And Aftermath
  • 2 months later...

I grew up in Galveston and lived right next to the Galvez Mall behind the Hudson Oil gas station which my dad Joe Hixon managed. The mall was my second home and I can remember spending many hours there in the B Dalton book store and at the movies and game room across the hall from it. If anyone has any picture of the Hudson Oil gas station during that time I would appreciate if you would post them or contact me. Thanks for the memories. 

• Like 2

Some years ago when I attended University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette LA, there was a Hudson Oil gas station located in the south part of Lafayette. Because it was on the way to my part-time job, I bought gasoline there fairly often. During the times of my vacation trips from Shreveport LA to Galveston (circa late 1970s) I don't have a specific recollection of the Hudson Oil gas station that was located next to the Galvez Mall, but it's likely I stopped and filled up at your (member Dan H) dad's Hudson Oil gas station at least once, either entering or leaving Galveston. With a full tank, my Pontiac Trans Am had more than enough fuel to make the 285 mile trip nonstop. If anything turns up on my end regarding photos, I'll post them.

Edited by k5jri radio
  • Like 1

del Railroad exhibit, the C.&W. Bar-be-que restaurant, MTI Computer services and the addition of Snack Attack, a self- serve snack display. Fullen Jewelers is relocating to a larger space in the mall in order to further expand its goods and services to better meet the needs of its clientele. In addition to new merchants, the mall features ongoing temporary tenants, the most recent being the Treasured Trails gem display. "We can accommodate such tenants on a per-week basis to enable smaller vendors a chance to display and sell their merchandise," Zuspan said. "We are not working on leasing temporary space for the Christmas season and are able to negotiate very special prices on both kiosk and in-line space." According to Zuspan, Galvez Mall's most recent early summer sales figures showed significant increases for many merchants, including Bealls, Footlocker, Zales, Royal Optical, Denny's, Fullen Jewelers, Gold's Gym and Ritz Camera. Several other merchants have noted increase in sales for June and July. "Galvez Mall has been here for 18 years and we plan to be here for another 18 plus," Zuspan said. "With the continued support of our merchants as well as support from the community, we can all work together to make this a viable and entertaining shopping center for the island." Galvez Mall is conveniently located at 1-45 (Broadway) and 61st Street in Galveston. Mall hours are 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-S p.m. Sunday. For more information about the mall or its upcoming community events, call (409) 744-5241. Eiband's provides quality merchandise and service The latest fashions abound in stores such as Marge's Gift giving is easy with fine jewelry from Galvez Mall Galvez Mall 31 33 24 25 5 M "3 _J 2t L 27 3) CRAIG'sO'8 u • 91 12 31 19 Eiband's • Beall's • Craig's • Schwartz's BOOKS, CARDS, RECORDS 38 Amy's Hallmark 15 B. Dalton Bookseller 8 Sam Goody's DEPARTMENT STORES SO Beall's 33 Craig's 1 Eiband's FOOD' 61 Denny's 24-hour 24 Pizza, etc. 42 Wyatt's Cafeteria 48 Yumm Yumm Tree HEALTH& FITNESS 46 General Nutrition 51 Gold's Gym HOME ACCESSORIES « HOME ENTERTAINMENT 52 Radio Shack 35 Ritz Camera- 1 Hr. Photo •+••••••••<744-8059 744-57.61 744-7344 744-5363 744-5397 744-6613 744-0001 744.7448 744-6239 744-8041 744-8223 744-4653 744-1645 744-8876 140 JEWELRY 47 Fullen Jewelers 744-3650 40 Kay Jewelers 744-5871 58 Piercing Pagoda 740-3622 59 Plumb Gold 744-1812 37 Zales Jewelers 744-3657 LEISURE& ENTERTAINMENT 23 Aladdin's Castle 21 Cinema 1, II, III MEN'S FASHION 43 Schwartz's SERVICE 744-4396 744-5228 744-5742 6 Regis Hairstylists 744-8929 56 Royal Optical 740-2020 56 Or Patti Zein-Eldin 744-5841 31 Lite Defensive Driving 332-1760 22 Mall Management Office 744-5241 SHOES 32 Kinney Shoes 18 Payless Shoes SPORTING GOODS& 1 9 Footlocker 36 Sports Fantasy TOYS .. 744-5521 740-1533 APPAREL 744-8504 744-9709 27 Kay Bee Toys 740-1039 WOMEN'S FASHIONS& ACCESSORIES 3 Claire's Boutique 5 Lane Bryant 16 Limited 28 Margo's 43 Schwartz's 26 Stuart's •••••••4 i 744-4973 744-9292 744-5130 744-5248 744-5742 744-2068 ******

• Like 1

"Galvez Mall has been here for 18 years and we plan to be here for another 18 plus" Galvez Mall opened in 1968, fixing the year of this message in 1986 (1968+18=1986). Unfortunately, the "plan to be here for another 18 plus" (1986+18=2004) did not come to pass. The Galvez Mall declined steadily during the 1990s and was eventually demolished in 2000.

A look at the photos (posted January  2019) depicting exterior views of the mall circa October 1996 show significant grass and weed overgrowth near the mall's entrances.

According to its pastor, The Island Fellowship Church operated in the former Bealls location from the Summer of 1996 until June 1997 when "Fincher's tax abatement" ended.  

Edited by k5jri radio
additional information
  • Like 1

The March 1996 departure of Bealls, the last anchor store in Galvez Mall (along with the failure to find another comparable tenant for this or the other two vacant anchor locations), likely made the closure of the mall all but certain. Bealls (Florida) was founded in Bradenton, FL, in 1915 by Robert M. Beall, Sr. The Bealls stores operating in Texas and many other states were owned by another Beall family. As far a I know: the Florida Beall and the Texas Beall families [1] were not biologically related to one another, and [2] conducted their respective business activities separately. The Texas Beall family members later sold their real and intellectual property to Houston-based Stage Stores. Their motive for selling is not known. When Stage Stores filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020, Bealls Florida purchased their intellectual property and selected real property. Among other rights, Bealls Florida can use the Bealls brand name throughout the United States. Real property purchased by Bealls Florida include the storage and distribution facility located in Jacksonville TX.

Edited by k5jri radio
correction & clarification

18 hours ago, k5jri radio said:

The March 1996 departure of Bealls, the last anchor store in Galvez Mall (along with the failure to find another comparable tenant), likely made the closure of the mall all but certain. Bealls was founded in Bradenton, FL, in 1915 by Robert M. Beall, Sr. The Bealls stores operating in Texas and many other states was the result of the split of assets between various members of the Beall family. The Beall family members operating stores in Texas and several other states later sold their real and intellectual property to Houston-based Stage Stores. When Stage Stores filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020, Bealls Florida purchased their intellectual property, which included the right to use all brand names formerly owned by Stage Stores. Among other rights, Bealls Florida can use the Bealls brand name throughout the United States. 

Source?  I can find no evidence that the two families were related or were ever in business together. I think the 1988 sale of Beall's to the newly-formed Specialty Retailers Inc was caused at least in part by a family split/argument.  In any event, Beall's (Texas) was founded in Henderson, Texas in 1923. The company (not just it's real and intellectual property) was sold to Speciality Retailers who also purchased Houston-based Palais Royal at the same time and HQ was moved to Houston.  Some years later they acquired Stage Stores and changed the corporate name to Stage Stores.

As you said, Beall's (Florida) bought the IP and other assets out of bankruptcy.

Despite the coincidence of the same surname, I have not found evidence to show the respective Beall families in Florida and Texas were biologically related to one another or ever in business together. Bealls (Texas) was a continuously operating business entity under several corporate names until the bankruptcy of Stage Stores in 2020. Bealls (Florida) then purchased intellectual and real property from the bankrupt corporation. Bealls, Inc. continues to operate as a family owned corporation headed (since 2019) by CEO Matt Beall.

Edited by k5jri radio
correction & clarification

To Dan H (and others who lived in or visited Galveston during the late 1970s): The 6600 Broadway Hudson Oil service station would have been the optimal place to fill up before starting a fairly long trip north to Shreveport LA (or other destinations in northwest LA). Once out of the Houston area, most of the 4-hour trip north was through sparsely populated areas of east Texas. My preference for long trips, then and now, was to start out with a full tank and avoid (or at least minimize) having to stop for gasoline along the way.

HAIF members and visitors might like to check out the recently posted You Tube video, "Galveston in the 70s," which shows photographs of two Hudson Oil gas stations, one of which is the 6600 Broadway Hudson Oil gas station Dan H's dad managed during that time period.    

Edited by k5jri radio
  • Like 1

The mall looks like it was pretty nice up until a few years prior to its demise.

I had a thought, it seems like nowadays the "pace of change" for places like malls is slower. Like, many malls of the 1960s and 1970s only lasted about 30 years. 30 years ago was 1992, there aren't as many dead shopping centers from 1992 around today. I wonder if the retail industry was more volatile back then, when it was a new and growing thing. Nowadays there are only a handful of major chains, a lot of malls have vanished, so of course that means what remains are regional or flagship stores operated by giant publicly traded corporations that have deep pockets.

Kind of like how when the internet was young there were a lot of different search engines and a lot of major websites and a lot of different brands of PC's and early smartphones and many of them came in a flash and vanished. Now there's just a few giant social media platforms, and a handful of companies that sell the majority of mobile devices.